1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask a Dreamy Question Get a Dreamy Answer

Discussion in 'Dream World' started by Zephyr, Jan 23, 2012.

1. LPFan

LPFan

I was wondering when the 5th gen DW pokemon will come out? I know that Darminatan and Musharna are out, but just a curious question.
  2. Plusle

Plusle

IIRC the Dream World sprites for the Gen V Pokemon are not programmed into the game so it will either be after Pokemon Black and White 2 comes out or later
  3. Lemonade.

Lemonade. fluffy bird
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

It all depends on when Nintendo wants to release them, but hopefully soon!

There are no "DW sprites" per say; they don't change appearance afaik when they get their DW abilities.
  4. Plusle

Plusle

When you see the pokemon from the dream world in the entralink it shows an overworld sprite. Gen 5 pokemon do not have one of these.
  5. D4rkRaven270

D4rkRaven270

If you got a Dream world pokemon, say a Vulpix and you evolve it into a Ninetales, and you breed it, does the offspring carry the Dream World Ability (Drought) too?

PLEASE ANSWER THIS!
  6. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Only females are capable of passing down Dream World abilities, and it is a 50% chance.
  7. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

This is halfway dream world, and halfway game mechanics, but what would happen if two endgame eggxecutors in sunlight with harvest sitrus berries, and ingrain were pitted against eachother? Unlimited struggle?
  8. zero2exe

zero2exe Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
    is a Contributor Alumnus

According to Kaphotics at #smogonwifi and with his permission here's the log with the answer:
    <Kaphotics> no
    <Kaphotics> all battles have a set turn limit
    <Kaphotics> its just nobody ever ever takes that many turns
    <Kaphotics> EVER.
    <Kaphotics> so technically yes this could happen
    <Kaphotics> but the battle would be force ended when the amount of battle data exceeds (a certain number I dont know off the top of my head) and the team with highest HP will win, else tie as usual
    <Kaphotics> at least, that's how I assume it works. if it didn't work that way then you wouldn't be able to save the battle video (it can only be so big), and that wouldn't be programmed to happen
    <Kaphotics> in the battle video there's a battle instruction read length included, so I'd bet that that would be kept track of while the battle happens, if it exceeds a certain value the next turn would be force battle ended
    <Kaphotics> there's the answer to that question ^.^
  9. shrang

shrang Go to your room
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

You can also use the "Suggest draw" button.
  10. TheStarRapper

TheStarRapper

Haha thanks guys.
  11. AfroThunderRule

AfroThunderRule *yawn* ez
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Is this a decent team for DW OU? I'm a newb to the tier and to Pokemon in general.

Show Hide
    Tyranitar (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge
    - Crunch
    - Pursuit
    - Fire Punch
    Latios (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Psyshock
    - Dragon Pulse
    - Surf
    Garchomp (F) @ Yache Berry
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Fang
    Excadrill (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sand Rush
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Frustration
    Keldeo @ Leftovers
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Calm Mind
    - Surf
    - Secret Sword
    - Hidden Power [Dark]
    Genesect @ Shed Shell
    Trait: Download
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
    - U-turn
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Flamethrower
  12. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

I'd definitely recommend Choice Scarf > Shed Shell for Genesect. In Dream World, the only common user of Shadow Tag is Chandelure. Choice Scarf Genesect allows you to outspeed the most common variant of Chandelure (Choice Scarf) and U-Turn out. Using Genesect in conjunction with Tyranitar allows you to lure in Chandelure and trap it easily, this will prevent your Latios from being trapped as well, considering you are running a Specs set - you can be less cautious when spamming Draco Meteors. Choice Scarf Genesect also allows you to beat +1 Dragons who look quite annoying for your team. Keldeo lacking Hidden Power [Ice] means that Dragonite / Salamence can easily find a free turn of set up and start unleashing power boosted Outrages at your team.

I'd also recommend changing your Tyranitar set to a Specially Defensive set.

[​IMG]

Tyranitar (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 76 Atk / 180 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Roar
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Specially Defensive Tyranitar gives your team more of a defensive backbone. Specially Defensive Tyranitar gives you a surefire counter to Chandelure. Although Choice Band set still beats it, it is locked into Pursuit, giving opposing Terrakion / Dragonite / Keldeo / Excadrill a turn of setup. Specially Defensive Tyranitar also means that you can run Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is a given on every team, it turns 2HKOs into OHKOs, which can mean the difference between winning and losing matches when running a very offensive team such as yours. Not only does this set allow you to avoid being setup fodder, it prevents foes from setting up. Roar is a really good move on Tyranitar. In situations where you have Stealth Rock setup and Tyranitar is essentially useless, Roar stops your opponent taking advantage. This is especially useful when you have used Superpower, as it can persuade your opponent to use your stat drops as an excuse to start boosting.

One small difference I would also say would be to run Hidden Power [Fire] > Dragon Pulse on Latios. I understand at times you would like the perfect accuracy and no stat drops after the move is used, but Choice Latios should be played to hit and run. Running Hidden Power [Fire] allows you to hit Ferrothorn and other bulky Steels harder, in situations where Surf will not suffice. What this also does is it means that there is less pressure on Garchomp / Genesect to take down Ferrothorn. It means that you can run Substitute on Garchomp over Fire Fang. Substitute + Sand Veil means that you can set up on defensive threats with a chance of missing. Substitute blocks burns and poisons that can stop Garchomps sweeps. Leftovers would be the item of choice over Yache Berry.

tl;dr
    Show Hide
    Choice Scarf Genesect > Shed Shell
    Specially Defensive Tyranitar > Choice Band
    • Latios - Hidden Power [Fire] > Dragon Pulse
    • Garchomp - Substitute > Fire Fang
  13. Omicron

Omicron
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Hey guys I'm glad that you're asking and answering questions about Dream World play, but can we try to keep RMT stuff in the RMT forum please? This thread should be for simple questions and simple answers only. Thanks for understanding!
  14. NixHex

NixHex what is béisbol
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

Remember guys, whether or not Pokemon X is released has nothing to do with the Dream World metagame. If you want to see who is released, view the first and second post of this thread before asking a question.
  15. ParaChomp

ParaChomp

Unless you're running a mono ice team, it's okay.
  16. michaelmichaels

michaelmichaels

Dream World

Can Pokemon with Dream World abilities be used fairly in the OU tier?
  17. Kidogo

Kidogo

Not completely sure what you mean by that. There are pokemon whose dreamworld abilities have been released that are thus allowed in OU with their dream world abilities. Examples include politoed and ninetales, as well as blaziken (who was banned to ubers as a result).
  18. Audiosurfer

Audiosurfer have one on me
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnus

Any seasoned DW players have a few tips one could use to better their performance in DW?
  19. dice

dice practitioner of the city
    is a Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Arcade Star

dont predict on the ladder
    amoonguss is amazing
  20. Audiosurfer

Audiosurfer have one on me
    is a Tutoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Staff Alumnus

Ok. Also, when I look through the RMTs of successful teams, sometimes they talk about the builder making them for a tournament or challenge. What are some notable tournaments/challenges and how does one take part in them?
  21. drakon136

drakon136

Well, one recent tournament was the Bad Dream World tournament, which was just normal DW, only with Darkrai allowed. That's all I can think of really, and for those you can just post in the thread saying "in" before signups close.
  22. Jimbon

Jimbon FAKE TRAIN
    is a Team Rater Alumnus

probably just making a team of what you feel is effective in dw then playing with it, then after you get a feel of what the metagame is like (what is common, what are the biggest threats, etc) you can try to build a better team.

you can also participate in research week challenges to test out new mons and see how they work out
  23. Sewa

Sewa

I have a question. What will happen to DW tier once B2W2 is released?
  24. Cinco Diablo

Cinco Diablo

I'm just wondering, how good is DW Excadrill?
  25. Deinosaur

Deinosaur GO GOOMY

DW Excadrill is just as good as it was in OU. But there is also a lot of rain in this metagame which cause Excadrill to be sad.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)