1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask A Little Question, Get A Little Answer (Mark 1)

Discussion in 'Little Cup' started by Seven Deadly Sins, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Sceats

Sceats

Well if you hop onto #littlecup or the cap server on shoddy then you should normally see people willing to help you out.
  2. mrguy888

mrguy888

How does one deal with Aron other than Croagunk who is destroyed by Wynaut?
  3. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck

Gengar's analysis says "Sludge Bomb was left out of the main sets, as it offers rather poor type coverage despite being Gengar’s most powerful attack."

What makes Sludge Bomb a solid choice for Gastly in LC?
  4. Dubulous

Dubulous I look just like Buddy Holly.
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Steels are not nearly as prevalent in Little Cup; the only two that see solid usage are Bronzor and Aron. Additionally, at Level 5 attacks hit harder than they do at Level 100 (as you can see here) so even a resisted Sludge Bomb will do a bunch of damage.
  5. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Additionally, since Gastly's only other option against Normal is Hidden Power Fighting, which has a Base Power of 140, Sludge Bomb makes a superior option with a Base Power of 135 with the 30% chance to poison and better spread damage.
  6. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck

Thanks! I've gotten tired of OU battles (thank God Gen V is coming to shake things up), so I've been looking into UU and LC a lot on-site.

Is there a list of analyses that are currently on-site? I found a bunch of them by going through the list of allowed Pokémon in the "Little Cup, Big World" article, but that was pretty tedious.
  7. Heysup

Heysup Monsters are dangerous and kings are dying like flies.
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Yea there are, unfortunately it's a huge pain the ass to search for LC Pokemon. The best way would be to look at the Archive and search "LC" or something, or simply looking at the index (but this means that you risk of the index not being completely up-to-date). Also, there are many "almost finished" analyses in the C&C LC Subforum. The sets on them these analyses are usually fine, and it's just the writing that is being worked on.
  8. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

The best way is the index of analyses which is in my sig. Pokemon with a written analysis have a link, ones with an on site analysis are in bold.
  9. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck

What makes Wynaut unbroken in LC as compared to standard?
  10. TPM

TPM

The all around (relative) harder hitting nature of LC gives Wynaut less chances to do its thing.
  11. Yadon

Yadon

I think this question might be a bit stupid, but I'm curious, please don't laugh at me! :(

If a Pokémon is at level 5, how can it have 510 EVs? Surely you'd need to level up further than 5 to get 510 EVs?
  12. eric the espeon

eric the espeon maybe I just misunderstood
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

It is possible, though not exactly easy. I wrote a detailed guide for LC ev training which can be found here.
  13. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

Most of the top offensive threats can 2HKO or even OHKO Wynaut (I'm thinking Gligar, Gastly, Taillow, Aron, even Shadow Ball/Dark Pulse Croagunk). That doesn't mean Wynaut is bad by any means, it's just that it's usually going to get one kill per match if it's played correctly (which is true for basically all of LC OU).
  14. Yadon

Yadon

Wow, that's very interesting :0
    Thank you very much! It's a really handy guide ^_^
    I'll be using it in the future, thank you!
  15. Alan

Alan

Besides pokemon being level 5, and the use of berries, what are some big difference between LC and standard battles?
  16. Sledge

Sledge

LC battles tend to be much more fast-paced and more offensive than OU battles, due to everything hitting much harder at level 5 than level 100.
  17. TPM

TPM

Adding on to what Sledge said; the harder hitting and speed makes priority much more prominent because it does higher relative damage and is in general much more useful because of how important speed is. Seeing people with 3 Pokemon that use priority moves is not uncommon.
  18. Alan

Alan

19. Sledge

Sledge

I see 244+116+116=476. I think you may have added incorrectly.
  20. Alan

Alan

Oh shit, I was looking at it and the CB set. thanks.
  21. supermarth64

supermarth64 Here I stand in the light of day
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Actually I sneakily fixed the EVs when you guys weren't looking.
  22. Cerivious

Cerivious

Not a LC player here, but just curious, why isn't Riolu used more often?

Compared to Croagunk, Riolu has 70 base Atk instead of 60, 60 base Spd instead of 50. A slightly worse trait in terms of the ability to switch in, but Riolu reaches 44 attack with LO SD and has Cross Chop/Ice Punch/Quick Attack/Crunch to back it up. Why doesn't it see more use?
  23. askaninjask

askaninjask [FLAIL ARMS]
    is a Forum Moderator

Actually, Croagunk is generally used more as either a mixed attacker or a special attacker than a physical attacker! Riolu's niche is completely different from Croagunk's. Croagunk also gets Sucker Punch which makes ghost-types a whole lot easier to deal with. Croagunk uses so many priority attacks that it really doesn't matter at all what its speed is.

Riolu's niche also happens to be the same niche as Machop or Mankey, but with a worse ability and worse attacking stats.
  24. Seven Deadly Sins

Seven Deadly Sins ~hallelujah~
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Don't forget worse movepool! Machop has 100% accurate Dynamicpunch and the E-punches, while Mankey has Close Combat and the E-punches, as well as U-turn.

Riolu is locked to the terrible Hi Jump Kick or Brick Break, which really hurts it.
  25. Banryu

Banryu

Alright, I got one...

When do the Little Cup analyses get added to the main analysis index on the Smogon homepagepage? Also, when is an analysis considered to be ready to add?

Also, how can I connect to #littlecup or whatever the IRC server is called? -___-' I've tried to find it a couple times after hearing about it so much and can't find it.

...okay, I lied... several questions. Whatever.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)