Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer, C&C Edition

Here's my question: what are some good tanking pokemon? I have a special wall, but I need a physical wall too, ideally. I'm looking for something with good defense and special defense. Also, any suggestions on a good special attacker, my teams primarily physical, so I need a good special counterweight.

I'm running an adamant seismitoad with an assault vest using full attack EVs and Poison Jab, Waterfall and earthquake and want opinions on if I should go for speed EVs or just admit he's slow and do HP or sp. def. also should the last move be drain punch or power up punch, and should I use water absorb or poison point? Or should I screw it all together and run a special set with grass knot, sludge wave, scald/ hydro pump and earth power?

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here's my question: what are some good tanking pokemon? I have a special wall, but I need a physical wall too, ideally. I'm looking for something with good defense and special defense. Also, any suggestions on a good special attacker, my teams primarily physical, so I need a good special counterweight.
There are a long list of viable Pokemon that fit both of your requests, but the one best suited for your team is more dependent on your team itself and the Pokemon it will be working with. For a list of options, you should probably check out Gen VI OU forums, where people discuss OU Pokemon of all different types and roles. I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for over in that forum.

I'm running an adamant seismitoad with an assault vest using full attack EVs and Poison Jab, Waterfall and earthquake and want opinions on if I should go for speed EVs or just admit he's slow and do HP or sp. def. also should the last move be drain punch or power up punch, and should I use water absorb or poison point? Or should I screw it all together and run a special set with grass knot, sludge wave, scald/ hydro pump and earth power?
I'm no lower tier expert but I can say that Seismitoed's role should play a bigger part in helping you determine its set than what is standard. If you like the Assault Vest defensive boost, then you're probably better off running a bulkier set with more defensive EVs, as you know you're inclined to play it defensively. In terms of the ability, again it depends on how you play it. Obviously, if you choose to go special, water absorb is the answer, as without contact moves Toed can't take advantage of Poison Touch. In general I'd say Water Absorb is also better on a physical set, but I guess Poison Touch could be interesting to cripple walls.

If you are looking to be standard, you should probably run Special, or you can check out the Seismitoed analysis that's on site right now for a general idea.

There are a long list of viable Pokemon that fit both of your requests, but the one best suited for your team is more dependent on your team itself and the Pokemon it will be working with. For a list of options, you should probably check out Gen VI OU forums, where people discuss OU Pokemon of all different types and roles. I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for over in that forum.

I'm no lower tier expert but I can say that Seismitoed's role should play a bigger part in helping you determine its set than what is standard. If you like the Assault Vest defensive boost, then you're probably better off running a bulkier set with more defensive EVs, as you know you're inclined to play it defensively. In terms of the ability, again it depends on how you play it. Obviously, if you choose to go special, water absorb is the answer, as without contact moves Toed can't take advantage of Poison Touch. In general I'd say Water Absorb is also better on a physical set, but I guess Poison Touch could be interesting to cripple walls.

If you are looking to be standard, you should probably run Special, or you can check out the Seismitoed analysis that's on site right now for a general idea.
I'm looking to use him to counter defensively frail special threats. Thanks for the help, but do you have an opinion for drain punch vs. power up punch in that role?

Are analyses on this forum going by pokemon being level 50? (for specific Ev's, speed tiers, damage calculations, etc.)

I just wanted to bring up the topic. Probably redundant in some way, but it's something I encountered in a moveset I had for gen V that is no longer valid in gen 6. With the change in nature power from being earthquake in wifi battles to tri-attack, it seems many pokemon, such as sawsbuck, will no longer be viable with nature power and might have to resort to natural gift for the same coverage instead. I don't exactly agree with this because of the fact that nature power, regardless of conditions, is now a special attack and only valid for special or mixed sweepers. As such, Natural gift, although useful, is not nearly as useful by comparison and will prove a large hurdle because of the one-time-use nature it has. Perhaps the only reason I bring this up is because it feels like a massive nerf that will affect the movesets of many pokemon that once found it a boon and prevented them from being otherwise walled.

On another topic, the base powers of many attacks have changed (for the better in my opinion) and will also severely affect moveset viability. Hidden power, although normally weak in general, took a 10 base power nerf, which seems quite significant because of its already low base power. It doesn't present as much threat as before and could prove a dead move because of missing certain # of hits to KO benchmarks against important pokemon that it normally covers. It's nice that it is fixed for players who don't care about their IV's.

On the other hand, some attacks got boosts that were much-needed. For example, crabhammer went from 90 to 100 base power, which is wonderful because of the accuracy drop from waterfall. On a pokemon such as adaptability crawdaunt, this turns out to be a 20 base power boost, which hasn't been multiplied by weather damage modifiers or weakness/resistance modifiers. Based on this, my guess about the new metagame is that many pokemon will be more balanced in terms of power while some may become extremely overpowered (crabhammer in the rain with adaptability = 300 base power without weakness/resistance/held item modifiers). Pokemon such as scizor gained an additional supereffective target with priority bullet punch with the new fairy type. Dragons got the needed nerf, although it is still deemed mandatory to have a fairy or steel type handy to absorb/nullify hugely overpowered moves such as draco meteor and outrage.

I guess I was just wondering when the 6th gen movesets will be opened up for older pokemon.

Are analyses on this forum going by pokemon being level 50? (for specific Ev's, speed tiers, damage calculations, etc.)
For Little Cup, stats are calculated assuming level 5. For Ubers, Overused, Doubles, and any other Smogon tier, they assume level 100. For VGC, they assume level 50.
I guess I was just wondering when the 6th gen movesets will be opened up for older pokemon.
It depends on the Pokemon and the tier. Currently only OU, Ubers, Doubles, and LC (and VGC2014) exist, and those analyses are being written by Smogon's volunteer contributors right now. Once UU, RU, and NU are created probably sometime over the course of 2014, those analyses will be written as well.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What's the fastest way to get a badge? How are badges awarded (is there a thread or something?)? How often are they awarded? I want to contribute to Smogon more and working towards getting a badge seems like the best way!

What's the fastest way to get a badge? How are badges awarded (is there a thread or something?)? How often are they awarded? I want to contribute to Smogon more and working towards getting a badge seems like the best way!
The fastest way to get a badge is to be good at programming. I've seen people with less than 10 posts that can program get badged in the past. Other than that, you get badges by contributing to the site in some form, whether it be through quality posts, writing analyses, participating in suspect tests, or whatever. Badges are awarded through nominations, which are made by users who lead the part of the site for which the badge is going to be given. They are awarded without any real set interval. It depends on how often there are people who deserve them, which can vary.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The fastest way to get a badge is to be good at programming. I've seen people with less than 10 posts that can program get badged in the past. Other than that, you get badges by contributing to the site in some form, whether it be through quality posts, writing analyses, participating in suspect tests, or whatever. Badges are awarded through nominations, which are made by users who lead the part of the site for which the badge is going to be given. They are awarded without any real set interval. It depends on how often there are people who deserve them, which can vary.
Ooooh, thanks!

I have seen this problem being answered different ways from several sources, so I feel I need this cleared up. In the new analysis format, should the set name be entered above the hashtags as well as in the "name:" field? To clear any confusion:

This:

SET NAME
########
name: Cleric

Or this:

Cleric
########

I have seen this problem being answered different ways from several sources, so I feel I need this cleared up. In the new analysis format, should the set name be entered above the hashtags as well as in the "name:" field? To clear any confusion:

This:

SET NAME
########

Or this:

Cleric
########
The latter (at least that's how the example in the template thread has it, and I'm like 95% sure that's right). I think you put the name of the set above the #'s too because that's what's going to appear on the tab you click on to get to the set on the analysis (like you have Overview above the #'s so that tab says Overview).

I have had differing GP opinions on this, and would just like some clarification. When mentioning stats, which of these is correct?
"an 87% chance to KO 252/48 Ferrothorn with Fire Blast" or "an 87% chance to KO 252HP / 48 SpD Ferrothorn with Fire Blast"

I've found precedent with the former in the Garchomp and Kyu-B on-site analyses, I just want to make sure

I'm not sure if there's a problem with the latter, but the former is definitely fine because the stats you're talking about are implied. The latter also looks a little clunkier to me, but that might be subjective.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
GP Question:
Do we use a/an when referring to items? For example, do we say "a Life Orb" or just write "Life Orb", "a Pixie Plate" or just "Pixie Plate", etc.? These are examples from the article that I'm doing an amcheck for, and I'm wondering how I should change it in order to stay consistent.

"Xerneas uses Life Orb to provide a large boost to all of its moves, but the recoil might make it undesirable for certain teams. Pixie Plate and Expert Belt are both viable alternatives to Life Orb, and they can both allow Xerneas to bluff other sets, something that it cannot do with Life Orb."

"Xerneas should not be afraid to show it has Night Slash and can 3HKO Aegislash but if Xerneas is using Expert Belt or a Pixie Plate it might be worth hiding that move."

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Question:
Do we use a/an when referring to items? For example, do we say "a Life Orb" or just write "Life Orb", "a Pixie Plate" or just "Pixie Plate", etc.? These are examples from the article that I'm doing an amcheck for, and I'm wondering how I should change it in order to stay consistent.

"Xerneas uses Life Orb to provide a large boost to all of its moves, but the recoil might make it undesirable for certain teams. Pixie Plate and Expert Belt are both viable alternatives to Life Orb, and they can both allow Xerneas to bluff other sets, something that it cannot do with Life Orb."

"Xerneas should not be afraid to show it has Night Slash and can 3HKO Aegislash but if Xerneas is using Expert Belt or a Pixie Plate it might be worth hiding that move."
While I don't think there's any current standard, personally I always tend to use the indefinite article when it would be used in any other situation. Hence "Life Orb is an alternative to Expert Belt" but "Xerneas can use a Life Orb".

If I use a pokemon with unaware and I use a stat raising move like stockpile, does unaware counter effect the stat changes?

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
If I want to write an analysis, are there any requirements that I must meet?
Not really. You just need to know the tier you're writing for well and have a lot of experience with the Pokemon the analysis is for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)