Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way we calculate stat ratigs so far is influenced by the D/P Speed Factor. However, every CAP we create modify, albeit slightly, the Speed Factor chart.

This is not a huge issue, but should exsisting CAPs influence the Stat rating of future CAPs? This is a bit tricky because we have actually CAPs work into 2 different metagames: the playtesting period, where the CAP is alone in standard, and the "normal" period, when it is along with other CAPs. So, it should actually have 2 different ratings. So far I think the numeric difference would be forgettable, but it could grow in the future - especially since a lot of our creations are very fast. Syclant, Fidgit, Stratagem and Kitsunoh all outpace base 100s.

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
when posting for the art polls, what exactly are we supposed to say? Should we talk about how x pokemon fits with x ability or x stats? I figured that the "new" form rules did not apply to the art threads, as it did not seem like there needed to be "competitive reasoning" on why you voted for an art concept.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
when posting for the art polls, what exactly are we supposed to say? Should we talk about how x pokemon fits with x ability or x stats? I figured that the "new" form rules did not apply to the art threads, as it did not seem like there needed to be "competitive reasoning" on why you voted for an art concept.
the general consensus from the higher ups is "dont post"

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You have to wait for the next cap to start and then there will be a concept submission thread.

you know, it would be cool if someone invented an evolution for Luvdisc, since it sucks so bad. One of my trainers would love to see it. I would call it "Maideep", or something like that. What do you people think, anyway?
Am I posting this in the wrong forum? If so, please excuse me, i'm new here.

We should eventually do an EVO project, though Luvdisc is unlikely, as it would need a complete overhaul and has little to make it stand out from other mediocre waters like finneon.

Would we be able to (granted I'm not sure if it's been done but I checked and saw nothing) add the names of the winner of each process for each individual CaP in the EnCaPepedia? Things like who the Topic Leader was and the winners of the concept, stat spread, the name, the art, and sprite polls?

CAP is community process, it's not really right to trophy specific users like that. It makes the effort that was given by everyone seem entirely inclusive.

CAP is community process, it's not really right to trophy specific users like that. It makes the effort that was given by everyone seem entirely inclusive.
Sure, it's a community process, as we all vote and discuss the CaP we create. However, there are aspects of this CaP that someone submits and through voting they win, it's not really a trophy, but rather something interesting to know. Besides, the reason somebodies submission wins is because theirs was the best of the rest, it in no way suggests the others weren't good, because typically they all are. It merely gives credit to those who came up with the idea, submitted it and won it. I would personally love to go through all the previous CaPs and see who won each aspect, it's just interesting to read and know. I don't think anyone whose had any of there submissions loose has any hard feelings, and frankly if they do carry a grudge they probably shouldn't be competing anyway. Also, as CaP is a community effort there would be lots of names of the winners of each CaP and I don't think the "community" will feel hurt by giving credit to anyone, do you? Besides, I often hear "who won the previous art polls?" or "who won the previous sprite polls?" because it's interesting to know and I believe knowledge of the other aspects is interesting as well.

Sure, it's a community process, as we all vote and discuss the CaP we create. However, there are aspects of this CaP that someone submits and through voting they win, it's not really a trophy, but rather something interesting to know. Besides, the reason somebodies submission wins is because theirs was the best of the rest, it in no way suggests the others weren't good, because typically they all are. It merely gives credit to those who came up with the idea, submitted it and won it. I would personally love to go through all the previous CaPs and see who won each aspect, it's just interesting to read and know. I don't think anyone whose had any of there submissions loose has any hard feelings, and frankly if they do carry a grudge they probably shouldn't be competing anyway. Also, as CaP is a community effort there would be lots of names of the winners of each CaP and I don't think the "community" will feel hurt by giving credit to anyone, do you? Besides, I often hear "who won the previous art polls?" or "who won the previous sprite polls?" because it's interesting to know and I believe knowledge of the other aspects is interesting as well.
Remember that, once you submit something (art, movepool, concept and so on), the submission is no longer "yours" (if it carries your name it is only for the sake of simplicity). It belongs to the community as a whole. Aside from the newspage on smogon, do you see the signature of someone under the analysises on the strategydex? No, because that stuff does not belong in any way to those who submitted. There is no kind of "copyright" in such a community.

Remember that, once you submit something (art, movepool, concept and so on), the submission is no longer "yours" (if it carries your name it is only for the sake of simplicity). It belongs to the community as a whole. Aside from the newspage on smogon, do you see the signature of someone under the analysises on the strategydex? No, because that stuff does not belong in any way to those who submitted. There is no kind of "copyright" in such a community.
This not true. All original works made for this project within the art design thread are copyright to their creators unless written otherwise and nobody may use them without their permission. When they post artwork here they give an unspoken agreement to the terms in the thread and forum that it'll be used for the project. There is no written agreement anywhere that passes the copyright into the public domain and so they can be as restrictive as they want in regards to how it's distributed (most artists here aren't fussed). Any other creation of this project is not original work and so aren't copyrighted to the creators.

This not true. All original works made for this project within the art design thread are copyright to their creators unless written otherwise and nobody may use them without their permission. When they post artwork here they give an unspoken agreement to the terms in the thread and forum that it'll be used for the project. There is no written agreement anywhere that passes the copyright into the public domain and so they can be as restrictive as they want in regards to how it's distributed (most artists here aren't fussed). Any other creation of this project is not original work and so aren't copyrighted to the creators.
My apologies for being wrong

The point is -- Why would people cheat on ANYTHING -- art included -- when they will not even experience the pokemon after the poll is over?

For most people, the art poll is literally the last time they will see the CAP pokemon AT ALL. For the small number of people that actually PLAY with these pokemon, they at least have to see the pokemon in battle all the time. At least those people have some form of lasting reason to manipulate a poll. But for everyone else, there is really no motivation whatsoever -- other than having the internal satisfaction of know that "their favorite option won".

I'm not saying that it's wrong to vote for something that you will never play. That's fine. People do that in CAP all the time -- 90% or more of the time, in fact. But why would anyone go through all the work to recruit, manipulate, or cheat -- when they won't see or experience that pokemon ever again?
Incidentally, there should be a way to change the sprite that one sees from the client side right? So, let's say I have a custom sprite I made for one of Wyverii's submissions for CAP7 that I want to see instead of the real one. Is there a way for me to make it so that when I use it in battle, I see Wyverii's sprite on my side?

While that's a question better suited for the Shoddy Battle board, the simple answer is "yes." I'd rather not get into how to do it for the integrety of the project though. It's pretty shallow (that's not the word but I can't locate the right one) to go against the decisions of the community and say "well I'm using the other sprite/art, screw you."

On the subject of sprites, what's the reason for the shiny being a totally different pose?

EDIT: Oops, yeah, I did mean Syclant.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm assuming you're talking about Syclant. In the first CaP, the artists had 2 frames, and an animation. Syclants shiny is the 2nd frame.

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It had no purpose, really. It just slowed down the process. It was something that was quite superfluous.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Whatever happened to the Poke'dex entry part of the CAP?

It seemed it was happening but it stopped at Arghonaut and hasn't returned. Why is that?
It was decided that it did not add anything to the competitive goals of the project. It didn't really involve the actual playtesting part of the process in any way and was strictly "flavor".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)