Ask a simple question, get a simple answer (CAP Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Did we come to a conclusion on the "adding new pokemon unlocks new egg move chains" problem? I seem to remember one of the members recommending that egg moves only being passed to the pokemon, not from, but I haven't seen any official rulings on it.
This question has not been answered specifically, but we have somewhat addressed it at a higher level. In the CAP project mission statement, we have language that mentions that we will not change the existing game and mechanics of Pokemon, we will only add to it. If egg moves were passed, that effectively changes existing pokemon movepools.

Therefore, CAP pokemon cannot pass any egg moves.

However, this question has made me consider altering a few phrases of the mission statement to make this general concept a little clearer. Right now, it refers mostly to mechanics, and not the pokemon themselves. I'll probably propose some wording changes in the mission statement workshop thread. If you wish to comment further on this issue, do so in that thread.

Is it going to be possible to make a section the main Pokedex listing page (Movedex etc) for Smogon created pokemon? I would think it would save some time from hunting through the forums.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have had this idea before and think it would be good, however I don't know if chaos and the other top mod people want "fake" Pokemon on the main site.
If they were on a different page from the normal Pokemon it may ease their concern.

Are competative battling n00bs such as myself allowed to connect to and battle on the CAP battle server without really being a part of CAP?

You are, but you also should try and improve your competitive skills. I mean, it's okay if you don't know a thing, as long as you don't use the chat to ask for basic questions, but you'll enjoy the server more if you try to improve.

Being a part of the CAP project is not a requisite to use the server. You just have to follow the rules.

eric the espeon

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is it worth opening a discussion thread to possibly change our name?
If you think about it Create-A-Pokemon no longer fits as we are creating many, I know its not massively important but it could be interesting.
It would of course be voted on whether to change the name, and what to if we did.

I know, it's a simple question. I only want a simple answer. Is that creating preevos for Syclant and Komandre(heh) to be used on CAP server in UU etc? Or is it limited to evolutions for existing pokes such as Elagune's Farcry'd

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
it would theoretically create new evolutions to existing pokemon. it technically IS an option at the start of each progect but hasn't won yet.

eric the espeon

I know, it's a simple question. I only want a simple answer. Is that creating preevos for Syclant and Komandre(heh) to be used on CAP server in UU etc? Or is it limited to evolutions for existing pokes such as Elagune's Farcry'd
There was a vote that Syclant would have one pre-evo, it was named Syclar KoA has agreed to to the sprites for it after the spriteing of woodman is over.
Sometime after the sprites are done I plan to post a thread with a poll "should we make Syclar?".
Syclar at the moment is pathetic, its stats are simply half of Syclant's, its movepool is Syclant's, it has no sprite, it was a very quick job designed to let us start part deux ASAP. My opinion is that we can finish off Syclar in one thread via bold text voting and make it competitive in UU.

That would be wkd. I'd definitely put effort into creating Syclar and possibly Woodman's pre-evo(s). Already in the evenings the CAP server is almost as popular as the main server so with a bit more profile raising and a few more people, UU matches could become commonplace. Maybe they are already and I just haven't noticed!

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It's not that hard to find a UU match on the CAP server, but it has already been agreed we weren't going to make any UU pokes. The main problems would be that not enough people play/understand UU for the voting system to work effectivly. Most of the votes would be by people who don't know enough about UU to make an informed decision. We haven't made a CAP UU Pokemon yet for a reason is all I'm saying. UU's not even really set in stone yet, what with Obi's sugestion being thrown around. Plus it would be hard to manage on top of an existing project.

eric the espeon

It would not be a full project as such, it would be more of a singe thread where we agree on the aspects by short bold text polls. Many of the aspects would not even need polling as they have been chosen by its evo.
With a bit of luck some experienced UU players could give arguments and explanations to guide the voters in the right direction.
If Obi's idea goes through the now UU Pokemon will (mostly, if I understand it correctly) become NU so any Pokemon we make will simply drop the that tier.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't see how you can hope to compress it all into one thread. If you want to make a Pokemon competitive, in any metagame, then just as much thought must be given to this Pokemon base stats / Movepool / Abilitys / etc as any other Pokemon we create. If we look at the "how do we create a Pokemon" guide, we need steps that would usually total two weeks, and that's if this was a main project. As a side project it would take even longer I suspect. Compressing that into one thread, as a side project, for not one but two pre-evos, with the aim of making these into UU Pokemon, for a tier that a) Doesn't have the numbers for proper, balanced decesions to be made in polls and b) Could radically shift at any time after we've created this Pokemon makes it rather hard to even know what options we should allow into a poll, let alone get the whole Pokemon completed.

Having experienced UU players to guide the process seems a good idea in theory but, well, they need to be well respected by everyone and their opinions actually listened to or else we end up with another "aki" situation, where someone goes around making more posts than everyone else combined to try and swing people his way. At the same time it can't become a 'war' with two or three 'big' people attempting to influence every decesion their way.

eric the espeon

I don't see how you can hope to compress it all into one thread. If you want to make a Pokemon competitive, in any metagame, then just as much thought must be given to this Pokemon base stats / Movepool / Abilitys / etc as any other Pokemon we create. If we look at the "how do we create a Pokemon" guide, we need steps that would usually total two weeks, and that's if this was a main project.
But Movepool is limited to what Syclant gets, all we would need is to reorganize it, the Abilitys would simply be the same as Syclant has (unless people voice other opinions, if they do a 1 day bold text poll would fix it) Stats would not bee too hard as it would have to be a fast mixed sweeper like Syclant the exact stats would be voted on be a 1 day poll, really its not much work to finish off.

As a side project it would take even longer I suspect. Compressing that into one thread, as a side project, for not one but two pre-evos, with the aim of making these into UU Pokemon, for a tier that
2 pre-evos? no just Syclar, and it would not have to take long as most of the stages are picked by the evo already.

a) Doesn't have the numbers for proper, balanced decesions to be made in polls and
I disagree with this, even if it does not have the numbers of the main CaP project it will have enough.

b) Could radically shift at any time after we've created this Pokemon makes it rather hard to even know what options we should allow into a poll, let alone get the whole Pokemon completed.
But then it would simply fit into whatever tier replaces UU, and the options on the poll would be guided by discussions.

Having experienced UU players to guide the process seems a good idea in theory but, well, they need to be well respected by everyone and their opinions actually listened to or else we end up with another "aki" situation, where someone goes around backing up his opinion after every post someone makes. At the same time it can't become a 'war' with two or three 'big' people attempting to influence every decesion their way.
I am 100% sure that their opinions will be listened to if they explain them in a clear way, maybe a few people will disagree but that's how CaP works.
In the end its the people who explain it best who convince the majority to vote for their idea.

I think there should be a thread for discussing this really, SQ/SA is not really fitting. I will write one up sometime if that is ok.

Whilst its commendable that you are thinking about UU, I honestly think there are a number of issues that need addressing before the concept
becomes viable

1) There needs to be some sort of general consensus regarding the eligablity of NFE's to compete in lower tiers of play.

2) You need to make people aware of, and convince them to accept, the pokemon you've already got ...

I've only visited Doug's server over the last couple of days, and whilst I was impressed by what the team has accomplished, I cannot say that I am sure whether the new forms are too powerful for OU, nevermind whether pre-evo's would be too powerful for UU.

Unofrtunately my experience testing on the server was less than encouraging ... a significant number of the people I battled had no idea of what Syclant or Revenankh were, so offered little useful in the way of testing, as their teams were ill equipped to deal with the threats presented by these pokemon. Then of course there were those "people" who were completely hostile to the concept, and subjected me to a stream of abuse for daring to use them ...

Therefore, IMHO, I think I agree with Sunday that UU would be best left untouched by C-A-P for the moment.

you cant create UU C-A-P can you? surly if people use it it becomes OU.
people of course have little ways of fighting these pokes as there is no type like them in the game, and the regs are usualy on in 6-7 hours from now
i think NFE should be categorised an NFE means wynaut metang and gabite, i personally would say no NFE's in UU unless they were differant from evolved form (which is why porygon2 is BL pikachu and clamperl are UU)

DougJustDoug

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is the SQSA thread. This isn't a discussion thread about evolutions, pre-evos, Syclar, UU, and everything else being posted here recently. Please stop making discussions out of simple questions.

Here's the simple question that started it:

What IS the Create-an-Evolution project?
Here's the simple answer:

There is no evolution project..... yet.

We have discussed evolutions on every CAP project so far. We've never made one. We have proposed creating a special dedicated project for the purpose of making evolutions. You can read about the various proposals in the Process Workshop thread. If and when the evolution project is finalized, you'll hear about it there.

I am pretty new to this site and having come from Gamefaqs in search of a better Create-A-Pokemon, I was wondering how one would get the ball rolling on an idea? I have fleshed out a lot of the details of my creation and I have no method of actually testing out due to poor knowledge of Java. Is there a thread where I would post my idea?

eric the espeon

I am pretty new to this site and having come from Gamefaqs in search of a better Create-A-Pokemon, I was wondering how one would get the ball rolling on an idea? I have fleshed out a lot of the details of my creation and I have no method of actually testing out due to poor knowledge of Java. Is there a thread where I would post my idea?
Users are not allowed to submit Pokemon to this project, please read the "how we create a Pokemon" Sticky for more details.

DougJustDoug

Actually, you should probably read the "What is the Create-A-Pokemon Project?" announcement first. You obviously have some misperceptions about the fundamental premise of this project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)