1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Discussion in 'Create-A-Pokémon Project' started by Deck Knight, Mar 6, 2012.

1. The Unlucky one

The Unlucky one

I'm not familiar around CAP but I just need to wonder something. Why isn't Rapid Spin Necturna used? It is possibly the most reliable way of spinning as no one will send in their spinblocker vs it and if they do (for some dumb reason) they will get nailed by Shadow Claw. Has this ever been considered before?
  2. Birkal

Birkal CAW
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor Leader

If you check out the Necturna analysis onsite (just uploaded tonight!), you can see some of the primary Necturna sets. The Specially Defensive sets, for example, often prefer Rapid Spin, since Necturna does make for a great spinner. She outclasses most Rapid Spinners in the tier.

In terms of current usage, Necturna only ran Rapid Spin on 2.151% of its sets during the last month. I honestly can't tell you why that's such a low number. In my opinion, she's an excellent Rapid Spinner. Sounds like something solid for you to pursue.
  3. Agile Turtle

Agile Turtle

Sure you can, we all know that most people think "Oh, its a pokemon with great stats and Sketch!" So with necty's great stats they are probably thinking she can make an excellent sweeper, which she can. If there is a move that she can't learn, she actually can, just not more than one and people most likely aren't thinking about rapid spin for their one move, they are thinking about powerful moves and such. I would bet my money that most people want her to be a sweeper.
  4. jas61292

jas61292 used substitute
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

This is a very accurate description of how it is actually used. People see the good offenses and want to use all the supurb offensive moves that exist and go for offensive sets. However, with that said, in my experience, defensive sets are where it excels. Rapid Spin and Recover (or Milk Drink =] ) may not be as flashy as Sacred Fire or Shell Smash, but with the stats and typing Necturna has, and with the metagame it is in already having fearsome offensive threats, these defensive roles are generally the better fit.
  5. Witip kanto red

Witip kanto red

Where should I post my pokemon CAP project?
    I have my pokemon sprites, I want to know how should I structure my pokemon's post, I do not speak much English so I do not understand everything it says in the forum, so if you can help me thank you the lot, I know I i don´t know what should put first in the post, stats, name, type, pokedex, attacks etc, if you could helpme them greatly appreciate it (sorry if I have bad English)
  6. chuckeroo777

chuckeroo777

The CAP project is a community venture. Individuals cannot post their own Pokemon.
    But you are encouraged to help out in our current CAP, and future CAPs to come!
  7. Witip kanto red

Witip kanto red

8. Korski

Korski Distilled, 80 proof
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributor

Hello. This place here should give you a good idea of how the project works. Exploring the CAP sub-site further will fill in the blanks regarding our general approach and focus on community input.

The current CAP5 art poll is already underway, meaning the time for submitting artwork has unfortunately passed. You may vote in the poll and the upcoming polls (read the original posts to see how to properly vote), but you cannot submit any artwork of your own at this time. I hope you can stick around for a while until the next project starts and we open up a new art thread, as we always like to encourage new users, especially artists.

Hope this helps!
  9. Raichoice

Raichoice

Do I have to make a CAP at a certant time to put it here?
  10. CAP is a community project. You don't make a CAP on your own and post it; we all make them together through discussion and voting.

Now for a question: I'm working on a rough movepool for CAP5, but it's been a while since I submitted one and the rules changed while I wasn't paying close attention. Is the VGM list completely rigid or somewhat flexible? If I give Nasty Plot to a CAP with 40 SpA, does it still count as a VGM?
  11. ChaosAkita

ChaosAkita

Are the current CAP pokemon ever going to be updated for BW2 and get tutor moves?
  12. srk1214

srk1214 Robin/Robben is my OTP
    is a Tiering Contributor

As you can see here, starting with our last CAP project Aurumoth, BW2 was out and as such we gave shard tutor moves. This will continue with Malaconda.

But old CAPmons will not get updates.
  13. Unoriginal Name

Unoriginal Name

To expand on this, other than possibly new sprites, no CAPs will ever get updated. There are some updates done, but these are not technically canon, so they aren't technically updated.
  14. Shiruba

Shiruba

what's the legal status of any CAP on smogon? are they the property of the ones that drew them, the site as a whole, some other weird setup, or public domain? i'm not thinking of stealing one or anything; it's more a matter of curiosity, and if anyone knows the answer or not.
  15. inanimate blob

inanimate blob

I think, as a point, almost everything on Smogon isn't "trademarkable." I mean, we're dealing with an existing company that is the legal domain of Nintendo and Game Freak.

However, I think that the CAPs here are collaborated on, so as a point, those who contribute are the legal owners of the CAP they helped on, due to the fact that any self-made creation is owned by the creator, such as drawings and such.

But I don't think they're trademarked...so I think it's more of a virtue thing to credit Smogon.
  16. Malkyrian

Malkyrian

I'm currently working on a movepool for Malaconda, and I have a quick question before I really get underway.

In the second post of the non-attacking moves discussion, there is a short list of moves that are "excluded for being non-competitive" (it starts with Acid Armor). I'm not sure if this means that they are excluded from the discussion, or excluded from the submissions. Basically, is it legal for me to put one of these moves in my movepool?
  17. srk1214

srk1214 Robin/Robben is my OTP
    is a Tiering Contributor

It means they are excluded from discussions. If a move is considered non-competitive, it is automatically allowed in movepool submissions.
  18. Vann Accessible

Vann Accessible

So, question about how the Movepool Limit Thread works.

What are you looking for in a constructive post? How do we determine the actual moveset limit? Are we meant to submit preliminary movesets within the actual VGM limit Birkal outlined, discuss and analyze them, and then adjust the real limit afterward?
  19. Nyktos

Nyktos Custom Loser Title
    is a Pre-Contributor

No, the discussion is only about the numbers themselves; actual movepools aren't discussed until the limits are set. In practice people are likely to be considering their own draft movepool submissions if they have them, but in theory the discussion should simply be about how many moves and VGMs the CAP needs.
  20. forestflamerunner

forestflamerunner Ain't no rest for the wicked
    is a Pre-Contributor

Simple question. Looking back, which CAPs are considered broken for the metagame for which they were designed.
  21. nyttyn

nyttyn

The only one remotely close would probably be Aurumoth and even then you'd be hard pressed to call it "broken." Krill might be another contender, possibly.
  22. Ethergrace

Ethergrace

Hello guys, do you make CAP for UU or Uber tiers? (sorry if this is answered already):x
  23. DHR-107

DHR-107 Robot from the Future
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcher

Not currently. I know there is/was PRC topics about this...

Errrm, try reading through this http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3470798. I am not sure what came of it apart form putting the idea out there. However, I know it is a view of some of the people here that we do try and move out of OU and try to create something for other metagames.
  24. Shiruba

Shiruba

i believe it's been mentioned in the past that cap is simply not popular enough to branch out from things aside from ou. it needs to generate as much interest as possible, and ou is the most popular tier.
  25. Destra

Destra

I would like to know when CAP 16 concept polls will take place, if the date has been scheduled. I have a concept I wish to submit.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)