Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (CAP V. 3.0 READ THE OP!)

Cretacerus

Survivor
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Reactions Contest Winner
Are combinations of egg moves which capmons can provide legal in the cap metagame?
(for example Bellydrum + Aqua Jet Azumarill, if a capmon in the fairy-egggroup learned both)

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
No they are not. I kind of wish they were from a continuity standpoint, but it's a bit complicated to consider those consequences. Especially since chain breeding between groups exists and giving a CAP in one group two moves together may end up leading to some horrible consequence elsewhere. Given time, I'm sure I could come up with a prime example of that.

I've noticed that in the list of "all CAP pokemon to date" directly after the CAP link from the main site, there are only 4th gen CAPs listed. Is there going to be a project to edit that, or will it be removed...?

I have a question about Pyroak. I seem to remember it having access to Dragon Dance and a more offensive stat spread at one point. Am I just imagining things, or was that really the case? And if so, why was it reverted to a more defensive spread with Dragon Dance removed from it movepool?

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The new tutor moves in the upcoming B2W2 would surely affect future CAPs right? My question is, would Tomohawk, Necturna and Mollux be able to learn any of these tutor moves at some point, and how would CAP go about it?

CAP & BW2

Hi there,

since BW2 is out, there are slight changes to the OU metagame.

Will we apply these changes to CAP and catch up with the new tutor moves to rebalance CAP1 ~ 3? I could imagine, e. g. to give Tomahawk Icy Wind to deal better with the new Cloud Trio forms and Haxorus.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Firstly, this should go in the SQSA section of the CAP forum.

Second, the answer to this is still being debated, as i imagine it should tie in with the answer to the debate (currently stalled) over CAP Revisions that's going on in PR. I assume that they'll keep us posted if anything is to crop up on the matter, but for now, no, there will be no additions to Tomohawk, Necturna, or Mollux.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Probably not. This is something that really belongs in the CAP PRC subforum. This is something that might come up in discussion; however, I am doubtful that there will be a strong push for this idea. CAPs are a testament to the metagame they were created and intended for. Their purpose is for the playtest, not the CAP metagame that follows.

PM a CAP moderator if you have further questions!

I don't always go on this part of the forum, but when I'm on it, I love to see some runner-up designs for the most recent CAP. Where can I find these?

Does any one know when keldeo is being released in the US or is it legal for me to get one even if it not released yet in the US?

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Does any one know when keldeo is being released in the US or is it legal for me to get one even if it not released yet in the US?
For future reference, this kind of question is better suited for the OU SQSA thread. But in answer to your question, B2W2 will be released on October 7th, so I assume Keldeo will be available at that time. However, you should be able to trade a Keldeo onto your BW cartridge from a Japanese trader at this time, since it is released over there.

If you're wondering, most Smogon members play on a simulator for our battles. You can test out Keldeo there if you like as well! Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Help me out here?

I don't have the time for massive testing, so the last part of the CAP process is out of my range; I can help with the rest, so since it seems we're just now in the testing stage for three different CAPmon (I love Necturna's design, by the way!), could some compassionate soul inform me when we're starting another project?

By the way, do we make evos or prevos for existing Pokemon? I had a lot of ideas on the matter...(if not, I also have all-original ideas).

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't have the time for massive testing, so the last part of the CAP process is out of my range; I can help with the rest, so since it seems we're just now in the testing stage for three different CAPmon (I love Necturna's design, by the way!), could some compassionate soul inform me when we're starting another project?
In the first post in this thread:

The OP said:
Do not ask "When is <X> going to start?", "When is <X> going to happen?" or any other questions related to future project occurences. The CAP project does not follow any set timelines, so don't ask questions about it. If you are asking about the overall future project direction, the answer is in the stickies, or it isn't a simple question. Either way, don't ask that stuff here.
Nobody really knows when it will start - it will likely start a) once playtesting has finished and b) once the policy review threads have had a chance to resolve themselves. We're only testing Mollux at the moment, by the way; Necturna and Tomohawk were finished with a while ago. In any case, if you stick around for long enough, the next project should start fairly soon-ish.

By the way, do we make evos or prevos for existing Pokemon? I had a lot of ideas on the matter...(if not, I also have all-original ideas).
Tried it once, didn't work, mainly because everybody had their own conflicting ideas and discussions got ugly very quickly (at least that's what I remember of it). So, no.

Are they watching?

When you were making CAPmon back in Gen4: did any of those get snapped up and make a surprise appearance in Gen5? Is there even a chance that some of the Pokemon we just invent will become real? I SERIOUSLY WOULD VOTE FOR NECTURNA ON THAT SUBJECT!!! (although maybe its prevo should be spelled "Nocturine"?)

By the way, I wasn't asking when the next project would start; I was asking if someone could message me when it was. There's a diff.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
When you were making CAPmon back in Gen4: did any of those get snapped up and make a surprise appearance in Gen5? Is there even a chance that some of the Pokemon we just invent will become real? I SERIOUSLY WOULD VOTE FOR NECTURNA ON THAT SUBJECT!!! (although maybe its prevo should be spelled "Nocturine"?)
I highly doubt that the CAPs were a starting point for the creation of a actual Pokemon. There is pretty much no chance Gamefreak will implement our designs out of their own volition, let alone if we begged them to.

By the way, I wasn't asking when the next project would start; I was asking if someone could message me when it was. There's a diff.
I'm sure there are some kind souls who would do this, but due to the mentalilty of 'he gets it so do it for me too', we'd have to notify a lot of people at the start of their favorite phase.

I highly doubt that the CAPs were a starting point for the creation of a actual Pokemon. There is pretty much no chance Gamefreak will implement our designs out of their own volition, let alone if we begged them to.
I shouldn't be making suggestions like this when I don't know how to implement them in the first place (if I did I would send Gamefreak all the evos, prevos, and rewritten stats/new stat that I came up with and beg shamelessly that they be considered), but how do you know Gamefreak would never use our designs if you never ask? For all anyone knows, they might hold Create-A-Pokemon contests and use the best entries.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
For all we know, that may happen. But why would a billion dollar corporation implement the creations of a bunch of Internet users. I'm not a law expert, but I'm pretty sure in order to copyright something, you have to have created it, and since Gamefreak copyrights all the data and images on all official Pokemon, there could be extreme legal problems. Why go through that to add a Pokemon made by people who do this to, in a warped sense of mind, fuck with the limited competitive sense GF has?

Have a simple question, I was making Pyroak in PS when I noticed Dragon Dance is apparently ''Illegal''. Was just wondering why it is illegal, was it overpowered on him or something?

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Have a simple question, I was making Pyroak in PS when I noticed Dragon Dance is apparently ''Illegal''. Was just wondering why it is illegal, was it overpowered on him or something?
I believe the story with DD Pyroak was that it did not originally learn it. Then, during later revisions that happened to the CAPs, it was given stat and movepool changes, including higher attack and Dragon Dance (Not sure where the changes were made, but here is a Smog article about it). However, later on, changes were made once again to realign all the CAPs with their original purposes, and during these reversions, its stats and movepool were returned to what they originally were. Those were the most recent changes, and as such, the current Pyroak lacks the move.

We can create our own abilities for these fanmade Pokemon; can we also rewrite what existing abilities do? Within the boundaries of what the abilities already do, of course; I'm not suggesting we make Lightningrod another Blaze or Ice Body another Static-esque. But there are at least four abilities, two groups of two, where they do exactly the same things (Battle Armor/Shell Armor and Insomnia/Vital Spirit). Do we get to differentiate them in this? Because for at least those two Armors, I can think of how.

Birkal

We have the technology.
No, we do not re-write existing abilities. You should check out the CAP Mission Statement to get a good idea of what we are about. Methinks your idea falls in conflict with this point specifically:

We are NOT interested in changing the basic mechanics of Pokémon battling. This includes the type chart, existing moves, stats, damage calculations, move priority, etc.
For all newcomers to CAP, I highly recommend reading the above mission statement, as well as the Newcomers Guide to get a good idea about what exactly we do and do not do here in CAP.

Birkal

We have the technology.
  • Do not ask "When is <X> going to start?", "When is <X> going to happen?" or any other questions related to future project occurences. The CAP project does not follow any set timelines, so don't ask questions about it. If you are asking about the overall future project direction, the answer is in the stickies, or it isn't a simple question. Either way, don't ask that stuff here.
But since I'm a nice guy... The CAP moderators are discussing on what needs to be done and considered before CAP4 begins. Hopefully we can fill you guys in within the next few days on what our future plans may look like. Just hang tight and be patient. In the meantime, feel free to test out the new CAP metagame that has just entered BW2 and post about CAP3 (Mollux) in our discussion threads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)