Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the EV reducing Berries always remove 10 EVs as of BW? I know in Emerald and Gen IV, they would drop it to 100 EVs if used above 100 EVs, but I read somewhere that it was removed in BW to stop the Pomeg glitch. I'm not sure if it's right though.

Emerald/Gen IV:
- 96 becomes 86.
- 102 becomes 100.
- 255 becomes 100.

BW (???):
- 96 becomes 86.
- 102 becomes 92.
- 255 becomes 245.

Is that last part right?

Stratos

Banned deucer.
You would be correct; this is, in fact, to prevent the pomeg glitch (why they don't simply put in a gate that the Pomeg Berry cannot drop a Pokemon's current HP below 1, i do not know)

Thanks for clarifying.

You bring up a good point with that last statement.

In fact, in DPP the glitch was "partially fixed" by preventing a Pokemon's current HP from dropping if they have 3 or fewer HP at the time.

This means:
If a Lv100 Pokemon had 4 HP and 20 HP EVs, a Pomeg Berry would lower HP by 3 (rounded up from 2.5 in this case), leaving it with 1 current HP.
If a Lv100 Pokemon had 3 HP and 20 HP EVs, a Pomeg Berry would lower max HP by 3, but leave current HP at 3 so it doesn't go to 0.
However, if a Lv100 Pokemon had 4 HP had 120 HP EVs, a Pomeg Berry would lower max HP by 5, bypassing the "3 HP" limit and dropping it from 4 to -1 (65535).

Game Freak could have easily recoded the 3 HP limit so that current HP wouldn't go past 1. Maybe the Gen IV "bypass" wasn't discovered until BW was so far along in its programming that it couldn't be changed or something.

Does Leftover heal the HP of a Sub? I remember lurking on the old RMT's and someone mentioned that by giving Magnezone 152 HP EVs, Ferrothorn can't break its Subs with 2 Power Whips. When I ran a calc, Power Whip does 16-20% vs 152/0 Magnezone, meaning that this would break Mag's sub in 2 hits. Or is this person just misinformed...?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Leftovers does not heal a substitute, but rather will heal the damage the substitute caused to the Pokémon. If it's at full health, the Leftovers will do nothing. Also, even with Leftovers Power Whip would still break it in two hits, so the question is irrelevant in this particular scenario anyway. The person was misinformed or did something wrong in the calc.

I've asked on the wifi board, and got no response, so I'll ask here too:
I've been wifi battling for a while and have had little success, often becasue my teambuilding skills are under par. If anyone can help me with teambuilding and wifi battling it would be much appreciated! VM/PM if you can help.

I've asked on the wifi board, and got no response, so I'll ask here too:
I've been wifi battling for a while and have had little success, often becasue my teambuilding skills are under par. If anyone can help me with teambuilding and wifi battling it would be much appreciated! VM/PM if you can help.
What team type is it, I could try to help you if it is a weather team or an offensive team.

A question for the sake of "opposition research" - you have a Defensive Politoed leading against what you know is a standard Mixed Attacking Ttar. What move do you go for - Scald, Toxic, or switch to something else?
Switch it out most of the time.

The object of having a defensive toed in the 1st place is to keep him alive as long as possible to support your team with rain. I would probably reccomend not putting your toed 1st if you see ttar in team preview, as ttaar' sand stream will activate being that it is slower, and the other team will gain momentum right off of the bat.

All of that being said, it really depends on what your team has, and what the oppoenet's team has. Usually I would lean towards removing him immediately and saving it to change the weather later, but that may not always be the best thing.

For example, your opponent has the upper hand in the scenario you gave, via the sand storm boost meaning it will easlily take your SE scald. that is a pretty good time for the opponent to put stealth rock up, so it may be worth it for you to attempt to try to burn it with scald. Whether you burn it or not, it is likely the 2nd turn would be a switch, as the opponent is going to want to keep its ttar alive for as long as possible. so acting accordingly would give your team momentum.

If you are having issues with ttar, careful jirachi ha excellent synergy with bold politoed. Rachi leads can put opposing teams that lead off with standard ttar at a disadvantage. Pretty much anything it does will liekly be beneficial. take your pick from iron head, u-turn, twave, body slam, stealth rock. it can easily tank a super effective fireblast, and with good prediction, you can switch in toed on a fireblast aimed @ rachi and really "turn the tide" of battle. Meanwhile, toed takes away rachi's fire weakness, and can tank fire or ground moves aimed @ it. Rachi also keeps toed alive with wish.

Is there any specific reason Physically Defensive Forretress runs 80 Evs in SpDef? Like an example of a mon where the 80 is needed or why you don't need more than 176 Evs in Def?

Switch it out most of the time.

The object of having a defensive toed in the 1st place is to keep him alive as long as possible to support your team with rain. I would probably reccomend not putting your toed 1st if you see ttar in team preview, as ttaar' sand stream will activate being that it is slower, and the other team will gain momentum right off of the bat.

All of that being said, it really depends on what your team has, and what the oppoenet's team has. Usually I would lean towards removing him immediately and saving it to change the weather later, but that may not always be the best thing.

For example, your opponent has the upper hand in the scenario you gave, via the sand storm boost meaning it will easlily take your SE scald. that is a pretty good time for the opponent to put stealth rock up, so it may be worth it for you to attempt to try to burn it with scald. Whether you burn it or not, it is likely the 2nd turn would be a switch, as the opponent is going to want to keep its ttar alive for as long as possible. so acting accordingly would give your team momentum.

If you are having issues with ttar, careful jirachi ha excellent synergy with bold politoed. Rachi leads can put opposing teams that lead off with standard ttar at a disadvantage. Pretty much anything it does will liekly be beneficial. take your pick from iron head, u-turn, twave, body slam, stealth rock. it can easily tank a super effective fireblast, and with good prediction, you can switch in toed on a fireblast aimed @ rachi and really "turn the tide" of battle. Meanwhile, toed takes away rachi's fire weakness, and can tank fire or ground moves aimed @ it. Rachi also keeps toed alive with wish.
I should note that I'm basically trying to understan the mindset of those who play rain teams; my team is weatherless/pseudo-anti-weather. Right now I have Hippowdon as my lead, but I'm contemplating switching to Tyranitar and giving it Thunderbolt to be able to deal with Toed. I asked to see whether that would actually work well.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mixed attacking Tyranitar is a pretty safe switch for Politoed since Tyranitar cannot threaten it tooooo much while Politoed threatens to burn with Scald, or just Toxic it and outlast it. You could try running Thunderbolt, but you will lose the coverage against other key threats, and politoed can always Protect to scout, and then switch out safely if you reveal Thunderbolt.

In a Hippowdon vs Politoed weather matchup, its pretty even in my view. Hippowdon can Slack Off Scald damage (provided Sand is up) and can use Earthquake to gradually wear down Politoed. No matter how you look at it tho, it would be a war of attrition with you attempting to outlast it, rather than blasting it down. In your senario however, its kinda tricky to assert what your opponent will do when we don't know teams, the levels of health both pokemon are on, moves, what weather is actually up etc etc. Any half decent opponent will look at your team at Turn 1 and figure out what he or she needs to do in order to win. It might be weakening your CM Reuniclus for SD Toxicroak to get a clean OHKO with Sucker Punch, letting him sweep, it might be KOing Specially Defensive Jirachi in order for Tornados to rip the game open with a few Hurricanes. It might be, that your opponent realises that you are weak to X, realises that your Hippowdon is set up fodder for X, and therefore coolly sacs there Politoed to your Hippowdon, knowing that they win the weather war, but then send in X and sweep. Basically, your scenario is always going to come up with different answers depending on what you and your opponent both have and therefore there is no "right answer" that you seem to be looking for.

To answer the new question tho, I personally wouldn't give Tyranitar Thunder JUST to deal with toed. If it a really, really big issue then o.k, maybe I would consider it, but personally, I would add an anti rain sweeper like Virizion (which sets up on Politoed) rather than running a dedicated moveslot just for Politoed.

Mixed attacking Tyranitar is a pretty safe switch for Politoed since Tyranitar cannot threaten it tooooo much while Politoed threatens to burn with Scald, or just Toxic it and outlast it. You could try running Thunderbolt, but you will lose the coverage against other key threats, and politoed can always Protect to scout, and then switch out safely if you reveal Thunderbolt.
I should note that I'd be swapping out Fire Blast for Tbolt; the rest of my team is pretty good at taking on Skarm/Ferrothorn/Forretress.

In a Hippowdon vs Politoed weather matchup, its pretty even in my view. Hippowdon can Slack Off Scald damage (provided Sand is up) and can use Earthquake to gradually wear down Politoed. No matter how you look at it tho, it would be a war of attrition with you attempting to outlast it, rather than blasting it down. In your senario however, its kinda tricky to assert what your opponent will do when we don't know teams, the levels of health both pokemon are on, moves, what weather is actually up etc etc. Any half decent opponent will look at your team at Turn 1 and figure out what he or she needs to do in order to win. It might be weakening your CM Reuniclus for SD Toxicroak to get a clean OHKO with Sucker Punch, letting him sweep, it might be KOing Specially Defensive Jirachi in order for Tornados to rip the game open with a few Hurricanes. It might be, that your opponent realises that you are weak to X, realises that your Hippowdon is set up fodder for X, and therefore coolly sacs there Politoed to your Hippowdon, knowing that they win the weather war, but then send in X and sweep. Basically, your scenario is always going to come up with different answers depending on what you and your opponent both have and therefore there is no "right answer" that you seem to be looking for.

To answer the new question tho, I personally wouldn't give Tyranitar Thunder JUST to deal with toed. If it a really, really big issue then o.k, maybe I would consider it, but personally, I would add an anti rain sweeper like Virizion (which sets up on Politoed) rather than running a dedicated moveslot just for Politoed.
Gotcha. The rest of the team is Scizor, Rotom-W, Latias, Terrakion; the last spot used to be Lucario, but I just switched it to Virizion for anti-rain reasons. Thanks for your input!

Where can I go to seek help on building a concept/gimmick team for competitive use? Also, in relation to that goal: What are some good Pokemon that can utilize Thief? Any sort of moveset accompanying the suggestion is appreciated! Thank you!!

By the way, I'll probably be naming the Pokemon, Lupin! xD

Well, the point of a gimmick is that it's something different, something people won't expect, so you might not find too many articles on the matter. That said, the Creative Movesets thread might be a good place to start your search.

As for Thief, depending on what you're using it for, it's completely outclassed by either Trick or Knock Off. To use Thief, you can't have a held item (so it can only be used once per match), and the one you gain might not necessarily be useful. Trick lets you use a good item (usually a Choice item) before using it, you have the desired effect of taking away the opponent's item and using it yourself, and you can cripple them by locking them into one move (especially useful when you Trick some Choice Specs to a physical attacker!). Knock Off has the exact same effect as Thief as far as the opponent is concerned, only it lets you use any held item you like, and can be used multiple times in a match. If you'd like some advice on either of these moves, feel free to ask.

I should note that I'm basically trying to understan the mindset of those who play rain teams; my team is weatherless/pseudo-anti-weather. Right now I have Hippowdon as my lead, but I'm contemplating switching to Tyranitar and giving it Thunderbolt to be able to deal with Toed. I asked to see whether that would actually work well.
Ah I see... Everything Ginja said is correct as well. The mindset changes based on what the opponent is stacking, and what type of weather starter they possess. I run defensive weather starters when I am using weather, and so if I saw your hippowdon in team preview, I would probably lean towards a few things...

1. I am going to keep my weather starter alive as long as possible to prevent his team from stopping my weather indefinitely.

2. I am not going to lead with toed or tails or aboma since hippo is slower.

Check out Sunny Day Heatran for an anti-weather poke. When people see a team with no weather in team preview, often times they will set up weather and will have the mind set of "SAVE THE WEATHER STARTER AT ALL COSTS!" mentality. You may be able to lull them into a false sense of security, take out their weather starter, and then set up weather of your own through sunny day or rain dance, hence eliminating their weather for the rest of the match.

Quick and easy question.
Say I use Regigias in doubles and open with a prankster Worry Seed from Whimsicott. When the +1 speed priority ends and it goes to the normal +0 speed tier, is Regigias' speed and attack still lowered? Or does the game check itself when the higher speed tier ends?
B/W Gen V

I'm getting mixed results, and by searching it doesn't mention if it persists through the turn or simply falls off when Worry Seed activities Insomnia that same turn before he actually goes.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, it just showed up on the search results

From the Slow Start Bulbapedia page:

"If Skill Swap, Gastro Acid or Worry Seed is used on this Pokémon, its stats will immediately return to full power."

The wording implies that Regigigas will return to full strength at the end of Whimsicott's action, so I'll go with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)