1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Matthew, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dragonuser

dragonuser The only thing I look up to is the sky
    is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tutor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis Smogon Frontier's Pyramid Kingis a Past WCoP Winner

Mew @ Leftovers
    Trait: Synchronize
    EVs: 252 HP / 80 SDef / 176 Spd
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Taunt
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Roost
    - Ice Beam

This mew can break through most stall teams by taunting + will-o-wisping. Ice beam lets you beat gliscor/latias(ice beam +taunt+ wisp).
    If mew isnt what you really need you could use a subsd terrakion which would also break through alot of those pokemon.

Terrakion @ Rock Gem
    Trait: Justified
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Substitute
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Stone Edge
  2. Jkickit

Jkickit

Hey guys. I have some troubles with ResTalk CM Cunes and Empoleons in UU. Sometimes Victini, Snorlax, Dusknoir, and other bulky waters/grass with this team:

KFC (Xatu) (F) @ Damp Rock
    Trait: Magic Bounce
    EVs: 196 HP / 104 Def / 208 SDef
    - Rain Dance
    - Roost
    - Thunder Wave
    - Night Shade

Hulk (Escavalier) (F) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Swarm
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Megahorn
    - Pursuit
    - Iron Head
    - Return

Wolverine (Kabutops) (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Swords Dance
    - Aqua Jet
    - Waterfall
    - Stone Edge

CPTN America (Quagsire) (F) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Unaware
    EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 SDef
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Toxic
    - Recover
    - Waterfall
    - Encore

Hawkeye (Zapdos) @ Damp Rock
    Trait: Pressure
    EVs: 244 HP / 32 Def / 24 SAtk / 208 SDef
    - Rain Dance
    - Thunder
    - Substitute
    - Roost

Mexican (Ludicolo) (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Swift Swim
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Rain Dance
    - Hydro Pump
    - Giga Drain
    - Ice Beam

Any recommendations?
    Do I need some Rocks or Spikes? Screens?

I can't do a lot with one team lol
  3. Joeyboy

Joeyboy Check out my Youtube channel! JoeyboyGames!
    is a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnus
    Mentor

I don't know much about UU but I know that the RMT forum for Other teams would be a great place to get help. You can post your team with amble description of its focus and intent and then list pros and cons; forum members flock to help you out. They'll post loads of suggestions to try and alleviate the mentioned threats.

Hope that helps a little :)
  4. The QWAZ

The QWAZ

If a paralyzed pokemon tries to attack but fails, would sucker punch hit or not?
  5. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

Yeah, sucker punch hits as long as your opponent decides to attack.
  6. pronot

pronot

for some reason i couldn't use a power trick on my shuckle (i used the move while playing with him, and his stats didn't change - and so did his attack, comparing my same attack against the same opponent pokemon, before and after the power trick).
    is their something i'm doing wrong?, or i just didn't understand something with the attack or with shuckle?
  7. SkullCandy

SkullCandy She Bangs The Drums
    is a Contributor Alumnus

Whenever I try and edit my posts (say put things in a different colour) instead of showing the colour in the edited post section it shows the code instead. This varies from computer to computer but it's really annoying and I don't know how to change it. Can anyone help me out?
  8. BurningMan

BurningMan fueled by beer

Does Analytic boost the power of a move if the opponent switches?
  9. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    is an official Team Rateris a Battle Server Administratoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris an Administratoris a Tutor Alumnus
    Líder máximo

@SkullCandy: what do you mean? If you mean that you see the code in the editor (i.e. while you edit the post) then just click the button at the top right corner of the editor named "switch editor mode" (you might have to use "Go advanced" first to see the caption.
  10. DownSouthRambo

DownSouthRambo

Is there an item clause that states no two pokemon can hold the same item? If so, I cant find it anywhere. Maybe I just overlooked it. Im looking to create a full stall team.

Also, Im quite new to this. How exactly do the battles work? Example: If I use 5 underused Pokemon and 1 UBER Poke, does the battle become an Uber battle? I like creating mixed teams with pokes from NU all the way to OU.
  11. Codraroll

Codraroll
    is a Community Contributor

^Don't know about the Item clause, but YES on the Uber question. If you want to play with Uber Pokémon, it can only be done in the Uber metagame. Mixed-tier teams are generally a really bad idea, unless you have an excellent strategy.
  12. DownSouthRambo

DownSouthRambo

That's a bummer. Lol. Thanks for the swift reply.
  13. Shining Kestral

Shining Kestral

There is an Item Clause that states exactly that, (you can find a reference to it here in this old DP article) but most people do not play with it, so don't worry about the Item Clause unless you're specifically designing your team to play with that clause. It's mostly relevant in the VGC metagame where it's an official rule.
  14. Toon Abw

Toon Abw

would a levitating pokemon be hit with HPGround?
  15. Haunter

Haunter 100% avocado
    Líder máximo

16. Eranu

Eranu

Nope, It would not have any effect just like any other ground-type move would have on a flying type.
  17. Toon Abw

Toon Abw

thanks
  18. Dark Nikuman

Dark Nikuman

how works the ladder ?
    for example decay,points,etc...
  19. Eranu

Eranu

20. nerdreadsbooks

nerdreadsbooks

good day!

im stuck in pokemon, and i cannot catch a zapdos. i got it down to 1hp and i have 9 ultra balls but i have no pokemon that has sleep techniques and i cant back out to get a different pokemon without losing the bird. please help!

pokemon yellow

i have beat all of the gym leaders (giovanni is the last one), but i havent caught any of the legendary birds yet. so i went to the power plant, and my last save point was 'zapdos wants to fight!'

my current pokemons:
    nidoking lvl 52 with thrash, tackle, horn atk, double kick
    diglett lvl 25 with scratch, sand attack, dig, fissure
    ivysaur lvl 26 with poisonpowder, cut, leech seed, vine whip
    pikachu lvl 41 with thundershock, quick attack, thunderbolt, thunder
    aerodactyl lvl 30 with wing attack, agility, fly
    lapras lvl 24 with water gun, mist, surf, ice beam

i have 9 ultra balls, and nothing else (to catch pokemon with). am i totally screwed? every time i throw balls (and i restarted at least 10 times) it misses every time.

thank you so much for your help! :D much appreciated :)
  21. Jimera0

Jimera0 You don't understand, Edgar is the one in the hole!
    is a Community Contributor

You have it down to 1HP, you can't put it asleep... just keep trying is all I can say. You will catch it eventually, you just have to wait until you get lucky. Patience is the key here, unless you want to go somewhere else and get yourself a sleep user. Patience is a virtue my dear boy!
  22. nerdreadsbooks

nerdreadsbooks

thank you kind sir!
  23. Blitzenith

Blitzenith

Why is Screech never used on Tyranitar? It halves defense, right? So that's basically a Swords Dance, albeit with only an 85% chance of succeeding. Couldn't it also be used as a psuedo-phazing move?
  24. Onicon

Onicon

Well, debuffs in general aren't too powerful to begin with.
    First: -2 is not the negetive equivalant of +2. That's because buffs increase your stats proportional to your current value ...

150%, 200%, 250%, 300%, ..., [stage] * [value]/2

... while debuffs get weaker with every stage the target descend.

66.6%, 50%, 40%, 33.3%, ..., 1/([stage] * [value]/2)

For example: When using Swords Dance or Nasty Plot, you double your attack stats. When you now compare to Screech and Fake Tears, they only strip your target of 50% of their defence. That's not said, that debuffs can be inconsistent for another reason: Your target is not definite unless it is the last Pokemon - your opponents have more control over the situation because they can decide on which Pokemon receives the debuff. If the Pokemon's defence happens to be low, Screech even turns out to be weaker than it already is.

Tyranitar isn't even good at using debuffs for pressure; it's so slow that it won't force out anything soon, especially because it doesn't have any priority moves.
    There had been a few Screech-Flygons last generation, when Salamence was uber. The main target was Skarmory, but now that Salami is back it just should use Fire Blast.
  25. The QWAZ

The QWAZ

A combination of screech and pursuit could maybey be used, but it would have coverage issues and it would be very hard to decide on what to screech.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)