Ask a Simple Question; Get a Simple Answer & General Resources (OU Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you obtain the Community contributor badge? ;)
Smogon FAQ about the Community Contributor Badge said:
This badge is awarded to those who have contributed to the forums by posting and leading high quality discussion in our discussion forums. In addition, this badge can have other applications for superb work in areas that are not presently recognized by another badge. This is a badge that is maintained only with high levels of activity.

I have done Up+B+Select and cleared the data. Then it boots into the new game screen without any message. After saving, I can continue no problem from exactly where I left off - admittedly still soft resetting for a starter - but before the Continue/New Game screen comes up the message appears. Don't want to put hours into this cartridge if it's gonna wipe my save... After some research I have discovered I have a fake cartridge - there is no foil on the sticker. Seems to play fine, but I guess I should request a refund.
If the message consists ONLY of the single sentence "The [previous] save file will be loaded" or "The game can be played" or variations, then it is almost definitely a fake game. This message is usually hacked in as a replacement to "The internal battery has run dry" or "The 1MB sub-circuit board is not installed", which are messages that will appear before every Continue screen if the internals of the cartridge have been screwed up. On a fake game, this message will always appear, which is why it's replaced with text that at first looks harmless.

On the other hand, the two-sentence message "The save file is corrupted. The previous save file will be loaded.", if it disappears after one regular save, is a perfectly normal message that indicates that the game was last shut off in the middle of a save.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
One easy way to check counterfeit GBA games: look at the model number on the back. If it's anything other than AGB-002, it's fake (from my experience, most counterfeit carts say AGB-004).

Even after I won against him, it still don't appears to be convinced. How can I convince him that his team just sucks? Especially in this metagame, where rain is dominant.
lol, seeing as it would appear he doesn't follow Smogon's guidelines and by extension, possibly our rules; battle him with a swift swim abusing rain team.

Who should I use as the last member on my offensive rain team?

The 5 others are Aerodactyl, Politoed, Parasect, Cloyster, and Toxicroak. I do not intend to change any of them. Aerodactyl is a great lead, Politoed has drizzle, and the other 3 are all excellent sweepers. Even Parasect.

But my 6th member isn't quite set in stone. It needs to have access to rain dance, because right now only only Cloyster and Politoed can bring in rain. With all the constant weather changes in some battles, I want at least 3 members of my team to be able to summon rain.

Right now I have Haxorus. In the past, I have had Gyrados, Dragonite, and Gliscor as the 6th member. Gyrados and Dragonite were annoying due to their x4-weaknesses to electric and ice. Gliscor was okay, but it was harder to set up since I had to use swords dance instead of dragon dance.

I like Haxorus; it can set up dragon dance, and it has few weaknesses. Plus it can set up rain dance in case of an emergency (aka Politoed gets knocked out). But I'm not totally sure if it's the best option. What do you guys think?

If you're using offensive Rain, there are a couple options you could use which are very viable in the current metagame. Any variant of Keldeo, whether it be Scarf, Specs or Sub Calm Mind fits pretty nicely onto Rain Teams, appreciating the boosted Water STAB. Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T are also good options, as they can freely spam their Hurricanes and Thunders respectively, with no fearing of missing due to the Rain.

All of these are good choices, but I'd be more concerned about the rest of your team. I really don't think Parasect would be a good fit on your team, as it simply cannot sweep in this metagame where it is slow in relation to other sweepers and Grass is a pretty horrible offensive typing. It's easily revenged and slows down the momentum on your side. Not to mention it compounds your Rock weakness even further and is outclassed by Breloom as an offensive 'mon, while Breloom also gets access to Spore and a better STAB in Fighting. Obviously if you choose something like Gyarados, you'd be more inclined to run a Spinner alongside it, most preferably Cloyster as you said you don't want to change any of your team members.

If you want more help with your team, I'd recommend submitting your team into the RMT section with descriptions for each of your team members.

Can anyone reccomend a strong physical wall to go on my Rain stall team that's not weak to fire and fighting attacks?

I currently have Politoed/Chansey/Ferrothorn/Bulky D-nite/Tentacruel. Quagsire's my 6th but he's not really working out as I'd hoped in today's meta.

Can anyone reccomend a strong physical wall to go on my Rain stall team that's not weak to fire and fighting attacks?

I currently have Politoed/Chansey/Ferrothorn/Bulky D-nite/Tentacruel. Quagsire's my 6th but he's not really working out as I'd hoped in today's meta.
You should give Slowbro or Bulky Intimidate Gyarados a try. There aren't too many to choose from without rearranging your team.

Edit: ninja'ed by DFA lol

If you're using offensive Rain, there are a couple options you could use which are very viable in the current metagame. Any variant of Keldeo, whether it be Scarf, Specs or Sub Calm Mind fits pretty nicely onto Rain Teams, appreciating the boosted Water STAB. Tornadus-T and Thundurus-T are also good options, as they can freely spam their Hurricanes and Thunders respectively, with no fearing of missing due to the Rain.

All of these are good choices, but I'd be more concerned about the rest of your team. I really don't think Parasect would be a good fit on your team, as it simply cannot sweep in this metagame where it is slow in relation to other sweepers and Grass is a pretty horrible offensive typing. It's easily revenged and slows down the momentum on your side. Not to mention it compounds your Rock weakness even further and is outclassed by Breloom as an offensive 'mon, while Breloom also gets access to Spore and a better STAB in Fighting. Obviously if you choose something like Gyarados, you'd be more inclined to run a Spinner alongside it, most preferably Cloyster as you said you don't want to change any of your team members.

If you want more help with your team, I'd recommend submitting your team into the RMT section with descriptions for each of your team members.
No way am I getting rid of Parasect! With dry skin and leftovers, it heals up like crazy. Swords Dance, Seed Bomb, and X-scissor. Plus spore, a guaranteed sleep move. I love that bug thingy!

BTW I've decided to keep Haxorus, that thing hits super hard!

I didnt know where to post this, so please redirect if me this is the wrong place.

With the release of the therian forms, it seems they have been having a major impact on the metagame, maybe bar landorus t due to his speed. With the other two trolling around on rain teams and easily sweeping alongside fellow rain sweepers like keldeo, is there a chance that thundurus and tornadus therian (and possibly landorus t and keldeo) will be banished to ubers?

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I didnt know where to post this, so please redirect if me this is the wrong place.

With the release of the therian forms, it seems they have been having a major impact on the metagame, maybe bar landorus t due to his speed. With the other two trolling around on rain teams and easily sweeping alongside fellow rain sweepers like keldeo, is there a chance that thundurus and tornadus therian (and possibly landorus t and keldeo) will be banished to ubers?
Thundurus-T is unlikely to become Ubers as it is much more manageable than it's genie form due to lower speed and lack of Prankster. Landorus-T is also unlikely to be banned since it lacks reliable recovery, isn't that bulky when compared to other defensive Pokémon, and it's outclassed offensively by it's genie form in Sandstorm teams. Keldeo is unlikely to be banned as despite having amazing coverage and the chance to 2HKO even those who resist it's STABs, it has a shitty movepool and is destroyed by the common Tornadus-T. Alas, Keldeo is nowadays the most overlooked pokémon in the metagame since it's + or - at 45º in terms of usage (lower than Metagross, wich last mont there were people saying that it would become UU).

That said, Tornadus-T is the thing that is more likely to become Uber. People are already complaining about him in the threads. In my opinion it isn't Uber material as it's manageable and very dependent on the rain.

Thundurus-T is unlikely to become Ubers as it is much more manageable than it's genie form due to lower speed and lack of Prankster. Landorus-T is also unlikely to be banned since it lacks reliable recovery, isn't that bulky when compared to other defensive Pokémon, and it's outclassed offensively by it's genie form in Sandstorm teams. Keldeo is unlikely to be banned as despite having amazing coverage and the chance to 2HKO even those who resist it's STABs, it has a shitty movepool and is destroyed by the common Tornadus-T. Alas, Keldeo is nowadays the most overlooked pokémon in the metagame since it's + or - at 45º in terms of usage (lower than Metagross, wich last mont there were people saying that it would become UU).

That said, Tornadus-T is the thing that is more likely to become Uber. People are already complaining about him in the threads. In my opinion it isn't Uber material as it's manageable and very dependent on the rain.
thanks :) I was really curious to know as all of them but landorus t, and especially tornadus t, have been causing trouble in the metagame :P at least IMO.

For a Meloetta running a Naive nature and the Relic Song/Close Combat/HP Ice/Thunder set, would an EV spread of 84Atk / 224 SpA / 200Spe be sufficient? Or is it better to just stick to the standard 56/252/200? If there's a spread better than mine which still runs higher than the standard 56 Attack EVs, I'd love to see it. :)

edit: And Life Orb (as far as my damage calcs go) seems to be the far superior item for securing a number of KO's Expert Belt wouldn't quite manage. If this belongs in Meloetta's thread I apologize in advance!

ganj4lF

Nobody is safe from the power of science!
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Is Justified Lucario released yet? Where can I find released pokemon/abilities without asking every time? Thanks!

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
I am thinking of creating a stallbreaker set for Gothitelle, with max EVs in HP and Speed, and 4 EVs in SpA, plus the moves Taunt, Toxic, Rest and Psychic, a Timid nature and Leftovers.

Is there any better moves or EVs for Gothitelle?

tehy

Banned deucer.
Clearly psyshock's possible, letting you hopefully take a hit outside of the rain from keldeo and KO back. I don't know if i'd max speed, but instead try to hit benchmarks. You could also scrap it and run HP fire for steels, which don't care about any of that at all.

It might be hard to create a set that singlehandedly breaks stall, as Gothitelle already has pretty bad 4mss. If you're looking for something to directly trap and beat members of Stall, then Specs is your best bet. Psyshock hits Blissey / Chansey while Skarmory is Thunderbolt'd and Ferrothorn is hit by a Hidden Power [Fire]. Even Ghosts that switch in trying to spinblock get mauled by a Shadow Ball and brought low enough to the point that they're pretty much useless for the rest of the match. But yeah, 4mss really lets Gothitelle down. Personally, I hate using Pokemon with Rest if they don't have Sleep Talk, Natural Cure or if you don't have a cleric. It renders Gothitelle pretty useless as it's already weak to hazards and does not support the defences to allow it to continually attack with no fear of being KO'd.

The main issue with the set you proposed is that you don't really stop common stall members, namely Steels who resist Psychic and are immune to Toxic. Ferrothorn / Skarmory / Forretress usually have one attacking move on their movesets respectively just for these scenarios, so if you're looking for a decent stallbreaker involving Gothitelle, your best bet would likely be a Dugtrio or a Magnezone accompanying Gothitelle. Obviously these mons trap the Steels that seem problematic to Gothitelle but that would also make your team pretty offensive, which is probably not what your team is looking for if you're running that Gothitelle set anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)