1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (IRC Edition) Mark 2

Discussion in 'Smogon IRC' started by DTC, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Deoxymoron

Deoxymoron

Are there preplanned #trivia nights? That sounds like it would be fun but I don't see a schedule or anything. Is it just whenever people decide to show up?
  2. Onicon

Onicon

Is NickServ an automated service or an actual person? In order to join the smogonwifi channel you need to register your nick but it takes a bit long before the Email arrives.
  3. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

nickserv is a bot lol; if you aren't getting the email then "make sure it's not being caught as spam etc"

there was a thread for #trivia before but i have no clue where it is now, if there is a schedule then that's where it would be
  4. Steamroll

Steamroll Tasty
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

last I checked Trivia was moved over to a channel on PS, but I have no clue about the activity of it.
  5. Onicon

Onicon

The Nickserv verification email is neither in our mailbox nor in the spam dump.
  6. alkinesthetase

alkinesthetase <@dtc> every day with alk is a bad day
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnus

sorry man but i can't help you with missing emails. this is the same deal as with any other activation email and i'm not tech support. "did you make sure it was sent to the right address", "did you make sure it didn't get filtered as spam", etc. use /ns resendcode yournickhere to get the email sent again; beyond that i have nothing to offer for your problem
  7. Onicon

Onicon

Status report: The verification email eventually turned up in the spam folder, although it did take quite some time for a bot.
  8. Lugi

Lugi

So I tried using IRC for the first time (mIRC) and I did all the good stuff like adding the SynIRC server and trying to join Smogon's IRC at first it let me join but the chat wouldn't update and no messages would appear. I tried registering my account with /ns register password e-mail but I got no emails in my inbox. So I tried going back on Somogon's IRC but it said that my current nickname was invalid and the nickname "LudicrousLugia" was in use. I tried changing my nickname to just "Ludicrous" but after I logged out I couldn't log back in with that nickname either. So two days later and I still haven't got the email anywhere and I still can't seem to get into Smogon's IRC or any IRC for that matter. So in short how do I regain access to my nickname and how do I receive the registration email? Thanks for your help.
  9. Steamroll

Steamroll Tasty
    is a Smogon IRC AOp Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

http://qwebirc.synirc.net/

Use that, and register like usual. It automatically connects to synirc so it should take a few seconds to get everything squared away.
  10. iceblaz

iceblaz

Why was #pss taken down?
  11. DTC

DTC ˢᵉʳᶦᵒᵘˢ
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Battle Server Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Very few people used it which made it inactive.
  12. iceblaz

iceblaz

I kinda realized that but never thought it would be taken down thanks dtc.
  13. Ununhexium

Ununhexium

For some reason I cant connect to any IRC channels on synIRC. I used to be able to but just recently it hasnt been working so i cant connect to #pokemon #xyuu #cap #ratemyteam and so on. Does anybody know why this is happening? If it makes a difference I am using Google Chrome
  14. totoTavros

totoTavros

what does this mean?

irc.synirc.net+7001: Could not resolve hostname.
  15. Geodude6

Geodude6 Look at my shiny CT!

16. Ununhexium

Ununhexium

I was using the in browser SynIRC client but I installed AndroIRC on my phone so this is no longer an issue.

Thanks!!
  17. michaeloche

michaeloche

Hoping this thread isn't dead:

When I open mIRC, I am on as "michaeloche" (which is what I want to be called), and I registered an alt "vlad". For some reason, whenever I connect to the server, it has me on as vlad instead. How do I get back to connecting as michaeloche?
  18. Theorymon

Theorymon You have a fever. I prescribe more dead angels.
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Type in /nick michaeloche

If that doesn't work, someone is using that nickname already.
  19. michaeloche

michaeloche

Yeah, I am. Yet, when I try to remove the alt, I get the same message. I claimed that nick when I registered.

Edit: To clarify, I had been using the nick before, accidentally closed the client, then this started happening when I got back on.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  20. Theorymon

Theorymon You have a fever. I prescribe more dead angels.
    is a Smogon IRC SOPis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Have you tried /ns ghost michaeloche (insert your password here)
  21. michaeloche

michaeloche

Actually, the issue appears to have fixed itself. Thanks anyway.
  22. ItsHijak

ItsHijak

No need, i found it.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
  23. MilkyWay

MilkyWay

I joined #pokemon and this came up "If you're looking for the Smogon IRC, you're on the wrong network. You need to connect to SynIRC, not Mibbit." How do i fix this?
    Edit:
    Jellicent thanks :D
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  24. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

If you're on Mibbit, on the app page there should be a drop down box after the words "Connect:" that's set to Mibbit [webirc].
    [​IMG]
    Change that to SynIRC instead~
    MilkyWay likes this.
  25. Moonstone

Moonstone

Hey Smogon,

Just wanted to get some help with regards to IRC commands. I've been having a blast there, but still struggle with some commands. Is there an on site article or a useful link someone could provide to allow me to familiarize myself with the IRC commands? Thanks in advance!

~Moonstone

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)