Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 18 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Wailrod a bulky Pokemon? It has immense HP, but below average defenses...with proper EVing, Wailord can be about as bulky as max HP Gyarados, minus the Imtimidate of course.

But Salamence denifits more stat points with Adamant, far more with the Band...
What about Hariyama? Hariyama is basically a Fighting version of Wailord...and is still used as a Bulky Pokemon...I use 162Def/96SpA/252SpD, Calm on Wailord usually, it doesn't really need HP EVs...
Must ScarfLord have Selfdestruct? I have no access to it...not to mention Id'e like both HP Electric and Ice Beam...

I need either directions to a site for hack-checking or for someone to hack-check this for me:

Modest kingdra
Male
Sniper
Lv 52
31/31/31/30/31/31 HP Electric 70
Trained: 252 Sp Attack and Speed, 4 HP

The person offering it to me says he didn't breed it, so he doesn't know if its hacked or not. I want to find out if these IVs are legit or not before I accept the trade...

LeftiesWillRule - You can't really hackcheck breeds. I would check its stats against legal values and also its information (location, how/where it was received, etc.)

Also...

Is Netbattle Supremacy available for Mac? I'm guessing not, but it's worth a shot.

I originally posted this here, then decided it was perhaps too complicated for the simple questions thread, then was told it belongs in here! So, my question:

I've read the Registeel analysis and the article on defenses, but I'm still more than a little confused!

After a few hours of camping, I caught this gem of a registeel:
Relaxed (+DF -SP)
30-31 HP / 25-27 AT / 25-26 DF / 15-16 SA / 31 SD / 28-29 SP

Now, being as I don't have thirty-ones across the board, I can't just apply the recommended EVs from the analysis. How does one figure out how to allocate defense and special defense EVs in a case like this?

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
But Salamence denifits more stat points with Adamant, far more with the Band...
What about Hariyama? Hariyama is basically a Fighting version of Wailord...and is still used as a Bulky Pokemon...I use 162Def/96SpA/252SpD, Calm on Wailord usually, it doesn't really need HP EVs...
Must ScarfLord have Selfdestruct? I have no access to it...not to mention Id'e like both HP Electric and Ice Beam...
Stat points aren't everything, and as a wall-breaker, he'll want as much attack as he can get.
Hariyama is more viable than Wailord because it has more defensive moves, the fact that it is one of 2 bulky fighting Pokemon in UU (Hitmontop is the other), and that Wailord is generally outclassed by Slowbro and Milotic for tanking, Azumarril for offensive purposes, and the Swift Swimmers in team building.
If you can't get Selfdestruct, go ahead and give it both HP Electric and Ice Beam, although it would really like Selfdestruct.

Is there a legal way to get Darkrai in the US at this point? I can't get the event btw; none of my friends have it.

Stat points aren't everything, and as a wall-breaker, he'll want as much attack as he can get.
Hariyama is more viable than Wailord because it has more defensive moves, the fact that it is one of 2 bulky fighting Pokemon in UU (Hitmontop is the other), and that Wailord is generally outclassed by Slowbro and Milotic for tanking, Azumarril for offensive purposes, and the Swift Swimmers in team building.
If you can't get Selfdestruct, go ahead and give it both HP Electric and Ice Beam, although it would really like Selfdestruct.
So say movepool; don;t underestimate 170 base HP...
I don't really like ScarfLord, as Wailord is much more effective as a bulky attacker, and is slow anyway, I just RestTalk it with Water Spout and 192Def/96SpA/252SpD, Calm...how bulky with that be? My canculatios showed slightly more than max HP Gyarados on the special end...

Is there a legal way to get Darkrai in the US at this point? I can't get the event btw; none of my friends have it.
If you have an AR you can get the wondercard, but other than that, I don't think so. I could be wrong though.

My question:

If you Encore a pokemon that you're faster than, what happens? This is assuming they have already attacked you so there is a move to Encore. (I should really know this, it even happens in-game)

Fake out vs Fake out

if somone fakes out a fake out user while they try to use fake out, is the slower fake out user now unable to reuse fake out? This is a bit confusing, so let me set it up in the scenario I'm concerned with.

An Ambipom uses fake out on an infernape attempting to use fake out. Ambipom is faster, so it hits first, and infernape can't attack. Is infernape now unable to use fake out again because it "used" it first turn? Or is it still free to use it?

Is Netbattle Supremacy available for Mac? I'm guessing not, but it's worth a shot.
No. It might work through bootcamp (or something like that?).

I originally posted this here, then decided it was perhaps too complicated for the simple questions thread, then was told it belongs in here! So, my question:

I've read the Registeel analysis and the article on defenses, but I'm still more than a little confused!

After a few hours of camping, I caught this gem of a registeel:
Relaxed (+DF -SP)
30-31 HP / 25-27 AT / 25-26 DF / 15-16 SA / 31 SD / 28-29 SP

Now, being as I don't have thirty-ones across the board, I can't just apply the recommended EVs from the analysis. How does one figure out how to allocate defense and special defense EVs in a case like this?
Every IV is worth 1 point. Since your SpDef is perfect you can just follow the analysis. For your Defense, you'll have to add 20 or 24 more EVs to balance out the lack of EVs (depending on the real IV), or just stick with a few points difference. Don't take those extra EVs from HP, Registeel needs that the most.

My question:

If you Encore a pokemon that you're faster than, what happens? This is assuming they have already attacked you so there is a move to Encore. (I should really know this, it even happens in-game)
It forces them to use the same move that turn regardless of what they picked. After that they must choose that move. From the Move Restriction Article: "In addition, only the fixed move may be executed. If the user receives an Encore during a round in which it has not yet acted, its original move selection for that round is ignored and the Encored move is selected (with a randomly chosen target)."

if somone fakes out a fake out user while they try to use fake out, is the slower fake out user now unable to reuse fake out? This is a bit confusing, so let me set it up in the scenario I'm concerned with.

An Ambipom uses fake out on an infernape attempting to use fake out. Ambipom is faster, so it hits first, and infernape can't attack. Is infernape now unable to use fake out again because it "used" it first turn? Or is it still free to use it?
It is unable to use Fake out, it is no longer the first turn.

I believe Infernape's next Fake Out will fail because the move specifies that it only works on the "1st turn, 1st move." The 1st turn part is obviously the violation here. I'm not positive though.

Veedrock - My hero ;)

I believe Infernape's next Fake Out will fail because the move specifies that it only works on the "1st turn, 1st move." The 1st turn part is obviously the violation here. I'm not positive though.

Veedrock - My hero ;)
Im positive. It doesnt work. The fastest fake out wins, and the other simply has tough luck.

i have a timid latias. i was planning to give it a special sweep spread (252 SpAtk 252Spe) but i already have an azelf that has higher base stats for both. so i wanted to give it a more bulky spread with SpDef so what would be a good EV spread that has SpAtk Spe SpDef?

ok i was wondering what counts and what doesnt count in hackchecks?

im looking to get an action replay for cloning, iv check, item cloning etc
but eg if i use a cloned poke in a tournament will i get in trouble from a hack check(on the game i use the AR on)
Any use of an AR on your cart will activate the flag, no matter what you do (even all TMs or other small stuff). However trading things from an AR'd game to another game won't activate that other game's flag, so if you have 2 games pick one to sacrifice for your needs; otherwise you'll need to trade or chance not getting checked.
I can quote too :o

About the Giratina (Altered form, not Origin Form), I'm trying to train one in my Platinum game to the "Great Wall" moveset with an Impish nature, detailed here.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/giratina

However, this analysis was written with perfect IVs in mind, which is obviously not possible for a actual in game Pokemon.

My question is, for the EVs suggested, it says 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD. I can aim to have a perfect IV for SpD, so I would still give my Giratina 12 SpD EVs in the game. However, it is highly unlikely if I had a perfect SpD IV that I'd have a perfect HP/Def IV too. So my question is, which stat is more important, HP or Def, so I can give more EVs in that one to make up for the not perfect 31 IV, HP or Def? (so I can't follow the 248/248 split)

About the Giratina (Altered form, not Origin Form), I'm trying to train one in my Platinum game to the "Great Wall" moveset with an Impish nature, detailed here.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/giratina

However, this analysis was written with perfect IVs in mind, which is obviously not possible for a actual in game Pokemon.

My question is, for the EVs suggested, it says 248 HP / 248 Def / 12 SpD. I can aim to have a perfect IV for SpD, so I would still give my Giratina 12 SpD EVs in the game. However, it is highly unlikely if I had a perfect SpD IV that I'd have a perfect HP/Def IV too. So my question is, which stat is more important, HP or Def, so I can give more EVs in that one to make up for the not perfect 31 IV, HP or Def? (so I can't follow the 248/248 split)
Well the thing is you can't go over 255 EVs in a stat (252 is the most efficient number though). Because of this you are unable pump those stats with EVs to make up for those stats unfortunately as they use nearly max EVs in each stat anyways. You'll have to deal with the lost points if you insist on using it.

For future reference though the closer the numbers are the more defensive the pokemon is, so taking from the higher one (in this case HP) and putting it in the lower stat is most beneficial, usually.

EDIT: Yeah you can, but as you said that one point will be a subtle difference at best.

Well, I can take 4 EVs from HP and give them to Def, or from Def to HP, but I guess that one stat point in either HP or Def doesn't really matter, huh?

Thank you for answering!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)