Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 19 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The old thread met the arbitrary threshold size set before me, thus a new one is here, again.

Rules / Guidelines for asking & answering questions here:

1. Your answers should contain at least a brief explanation, even if it was the simplest of questions.
2. While answering Yes/No question, please quote the question you're referring to. It gets confusing otherwise.
3. At least do a simple google search before asking the question here.
4. We have a lot of excellent resources on our site. Be sure to check our articles, and not just for DP, before asking here. Our item and move descriptions are also a handy resource. You may be able to answer your own question with those resources faster than it would take for someone to respond to your question in this thread.
5. On a related note of #4. If you answer an extremely simple question such as "What does the Yache Berry do?", instead of just answering the question direct them to the appropriate link (in this case http://www.smogon.com/dp/items/yache_berry) so they will know where to find that type of information in the future without coming to this thread.
6. This isn't the thread for "Look At This Pokemon" or "Should I keep it with these IVs" etc., use this thread (forgive me if I forget to update this link if a new thread is created, I'll try to keep up with it).
7. This is already in the Smogon and Stark forum rules, but I will reiterate again do not discuss ROMs or other illegal things. Also, don't ask for AR codes here. Use google for that.

In addition, here is a handy list of some information to avoid certain questions being asked over and over again. I re-read the ENTIRE previous SQ/SA thread so please read my list before asking a question since it took me a lot of time to compile to figure out what questions were being asked frequently. I'll be very sad if you ignore them =(.

Also, if there are any commonly asked questions (use your judgement here guys) that I missed; just send me a PM and I'll add it in after doing a search through the old thread. Thanks.

Edit: Screw this, if I already answered your question in this FAQ and you choose to ask it anyway; I'm just going to delete your question.

• If the metaserver for ShoddyBattle is down (this is where only 1 server, usually Official, will appear on the list) click Advanced and a box should appear prompting you to "manually enter server information". If you wish to get to Smogon Shoddy under Host: type in shoddybattle.smogon.com and under Port: type in 50000. If you wish to access the CAP server under Host: type in cap.servegame.com and under Port: type in 8888.

• If you are having trouble editing your posts, go to "User CP" as in User Control Panel, "Edit Options", and in the "Miscellaneous Options" section, set Message Editor Interface to "Basic Editor" which will allow you to edit in BBCode, then set back to "Enhanced Interface" when you are finished.

• Looking for a legal Hidden Power legendary IV spread? Either play around with it (it's not hard to figure out the patterns) or look here or here.

• NP = Now Playing (yes this was asked with frequency in other threads!)

• No, you can't have an image in your signature unless you have a badge.

• No, you can't rate threads unless you have badge either.

• Migrated Pokemon from previous generations can change their abilities upon evolution when traded to DP.

• No, we don't know what your SID is. Ask in WiFi forums "Simple Questions / Simple Requests" or something. Or better yet, do it yourself.

• The Rotom-formes are not currently usable over wifi, only local wireless (link battles). Same goes for Giratina-O & Shaymin-S.

• On the note of hypnosis accuracy. If Platinum is the host, the accuracy is 60%. If DP is the host, it's 70%

• For information on Damage Calculators and other interesting applications check out the DP Information / Resource thread and The Best of C&C.

First Post ftw.

Masuda Method - last question.

Will a Japanese Feebas and a Mantine hatched in my game work? As in, shiny chance increased.

Gahh!
I left before writing down the answer to one of the earlier answers. I'm sad.

Well, to re-ask the question, what are the comments for the IV guy in the battle tower in Pt?

P.S. First post.

I am trying to make a Battle Frontier team for Emerald on the following conditions:

1. Only use Level-Up moves and egg moves.
2. Can't trade at all, so no Pokemon like Venusaur or Alakazam.
3. The Pokemon have to be breedable.

I was thinking this:
Metagross
Salamance
Milotic
Crobat
Vileplume
Hariyama

But it has too much Psychic and Ice weaknesses. So, help...

Can anybody give me any advice on how to start competative battling? I have tried a few things like EV'ing and IV breeding, but I cant quite manage to put a decent team togethor. Any help would be brilliant.

I've heard alot of different stories: is it possible to pass natures with the Masuda method?
Passing natures just works like it normally does with breeding. So if the female parent (or Ditto if you're breeding a male or genderless Pokemon with one) has an Everstone, the offspring have a 50% chance to have the female parent's nature. International parents doesn't change it.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I have a dumb question

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
-explosion
-memento
-lunar dance
-healing wish

How would Smeargle be able to sketch those moves?

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
I have a dumb question

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
-explosion
-memento
-lunar dance
-healing wish

Oh, at first I didn't get the question...

You can still use sketch even after the poke your copying dies. Just use a focus sash to survive explosion

What is this "masuda method" people keep mentioning?
If you breed Pokes with with international parents (one from a different language game), the changes of getting a shiny increase.

I have a dumb question

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
-explosion
-memento
-lunar dance
-healing wish

A Pokemon with Damp on the field prevents Explosion, but Smeargle can still copy it.

Perhaps you can have a faster Taunt that prevents Memento's execution, but the Pokemon will still try to use the move that turn. Have Smeargle Sketch it before it goes again. Applies for all, I guess.

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
What is this "masuda method" people keep mentioning?
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method

I have a dumb question

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
-explosion
-memento
-lunar dance
-healing wish

Have a partner that knows those moves, and use it in a double battle (usually those trainers with the Parischu or however you spell it). Then win/lose the battle.

Where do I go to change my rotom's form? (I have secret key)
Galactic Warehouse IIRC.

I have a dumb question

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
-explosion
-memento
-lunar dance
-healing wish

I need someone to confirm these for me, but I think they will work.

For Explosion

1. Use Explosion on a Ghost-type
2. Switch to Smeargle
3. Get the other Pokemon uses an item from the bag, be fully paralyzed, asleep, frozen, or go last
4. Stetch it

or

Reduce the accuracy of Explosion and make it miss. Then Sketch it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Memento:

Go to a double battle and beat both opponents with the non-Memento-ing Pokemon. Then use Memento and it will fail. Then Sketch the Memento using the same method as Explosion. (Note: Only works in the 4th gen.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the other two:

Use the moves with no other Pokemon alive in your roster and it will fail, then Sketch it the same way as the other two.

While looking at Sketch (with no help >_>), I noticed that it only said that Sketch can't sketch Struggle and Chatter, so my question is (for my curiosity only):

Can Sketch Sketch Sketch?

Can someone send me a link to the best place i can go to to learn how to understand the Diamond/Pearl/Platnum Random # generator to get legends with god IV's?

Right, well, let me make this short and to the point:

Here's the battle scenario: I'm down to two Pokemon and I just knocked out his 5th Pokemon. My Pokemon with remaining red-zone low HP is an Alakazam. My opponent brings out his 6th and last Pokemon which is a Salamence.

I decide to use a ballsy idea and switch out predicting for a move against me. I switch in my full HP Gengar which gets Crunch'd just how I wanted to predict it. My Gengar was holding a Focus Sash so I lived with 1HP. I'm obviously going to Destiny Bond his Salamence for the win since I still have one Pokemon alive so I don't break the Self-KO clause (if D-bond does go under this clause, I'm not sure anymore, I haven't played DPP in about a year so I've forgotten a few things here and there).

So the real question is: Is Destiny Bond a 0 priority move like the rest? It doesn't state Destiny Bond anywhere listed in Obi's move priority DPP article thread (seen here) so that's why I'm asking here. I'm assuming it goes under the 0 category speed bracket because he says in the 0 bracket category all the moves then he just simply says 'and everything else' so if he didn't list Destiny Bond in there, then it must be under 'everything else'. Also, this is not my battle, I was randomly watching recorded Wi-Fi battles on Youtube and when this final part came up, his/her camera died so the viewers didn't get to see the final outcome.

So if the scenario that I put above did go something like that in the end, would a +1-3 Dragon Dancing Salamence be able to Dragon Claw/Crunch (or whatever move it uses/used is in the 0 prioirty zone) the Gengar before Gengar doing Destiny Bond on Salamence taking it down and winning the match? Or will Salamence now with a higher speed stat from DD'ing enough to outspeed Gengar to be able to use Crunch on Gengar again to kill it before Genger could be able to even do another Destiny Bond on it? Then in comes his last Pokemon Alakazam, and Crunch that too and win the battle.

~ Aether Nexus

Right, well, let me make this short and to the point:

Here's the battle scenario: I'm down to two Pokemon and I just knocked out his 5th Pokemon. My Pokemon with remaining red-zone low HP is an Alakazam. My opponent brings out his 6th and last Pokemon which is a Salamence.

I decide to use a ballsy idea and switch out predicting for a move against me. I switch in my full HP Gengar which gets Crunch'd just how I wanted to predict it. My Gengar was holding a Focus Sash so I lived with 1HP. I'm obviously going to Destiny Bond his Salamence for the win since I still have one Pokemon alive so I don't break the Self-KO clause (if D-bond does go under this clause, I'm not sure anymore, I haven't played DPP in about a year so I've forgotten a few things here and there).

So the real question is: Is Destiny Bond a 0 priority move like the rest? It doesn't state Destiny Bond anywhere listed in Obi's move priority DPP article thread (seen here) so that's why I'm asking here. I'm assuming it goes under the 0 category speed bracket because he says in the 0 bracket category all the moves then he just simply says 'and everything else' so if he didn't list Destiny Bond in there, then it must be under 'everything else'. Also, this is not my battle, I was randomly watching recorded Wi-Fi battles on Youtube and when this final part came up, his/her camera died so the viewers didn't get to see the final outcome.

So if the scenario that I put above did go something like that in the end, would a +1-3 Dragon Dancing Salamence be able to Dragon Claw/Crunch (or whatever move it uses/used is in the 0 prioirty zone) the Gengar before Gengar doing Destiny Bond on Salamence taking it down and winning the match? Or will Salamence now with a higher speed stat from DD'ing enough to outspeed Gengar to be able to use Crunch on Gengar again to kill it before Genger could be able to even do another Destiny Bond on it? Then in comes his last Pokemon Alakazam, and Crunch that too and win the battle.

~ Aether Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)