Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - mark 21 (READ THE OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would it be a good idea to use a Sub-punch breeloom for doubles?
I'm planning to give him leftovers, and use tpxic on him with another pokemon.
Do you think that'd be a good option?

Hi im new here, not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Im trying to build a BellyDrum Smeargle in my Platinum game, and was wondering if any of you guys know from who and which Pokemon in game can i Sketch the skills Belly Drum, Spore, Substitute and of course Baton Pass. I tried to sketch them off the wifi with my Pearl game but the Smeargle could not retain its newly sketched moves. Any possible help is greatly appreciated.

Blackhawk11

one on one
Hi im new here, not sure if this is the correct place to post this. Im trying to build a BellyDrum Smeargle in my Platinum game, and was wondering if any of you guys know from who and which Pokemon in game can i Sketch the skills Belly Drum, Spore, Substitute and of course Baton Pass. I tried to sketch them off the wifi with my Pearl game but the Smeargle could not retain its newly sketched moves. Any possible help is greatly appreciated.
The best way to do that is by Sketching your own Pokemon that uses the move in a double battle.
Here's how to get a Pokemon with each of the moves:

Belly Drum: Makuhita learns it at lvl 25, Hariyama at lvl 27. Makuhita can be occasionally found by swarm at Route 225.
Poliwag learns it at lvl 31, and Poliwhirl learns it at lvl 37. They can both be found on routes 227 and 228 when Surfing in Platinum.

Spore: Only three Pokemon in the game learn it by level up: Shroomish (lvl 45, must keep it from evolving), Paras (lvl 17), and Parasect (lvl 17). I'd go for Paras, which can occasionally be found in the Great Marsh.

Baton Pass: The list is huge, but the most common Pokemon is Buneary (lvl 22). You can catch em in the Eterna Forest.

Substitute: It is a TM, and nearly every Pokemon can be taught it (possibly all except Ditto, Unown, and Smeargle). If you don't want to waste a TM, Mime Jr. learns it at lvl 29, and Baton Pass at lvl 46, but those are very rare in Platinum.

Once you've got a Pokemon with one of the moves (we'll assume its Paras with Spore for sake of example), get in a double battle with a trainer team. Lead with Smeargle (with Sketch) and Paras (with Spore). Make sure Smeargle is slower than Paras (make it hold a Lagging Tail/Macho Brace/ etc). Have Paras use Spore on the opponent and use Sketch with Smeargle on your Paras. Repeat for all the other moves.

EDIT: MegaMewtwo brings up a good point about Substitute and Baton Pass. Make sure you read his post.

The easiest way to get Smeargle to Sketch stuff is to get in a double battle. You can target your ally, so have a Pokemon with one of those moves and Smeargle as your first two.

For Substitute, you'll need to make sure there's no sub when Smeargle Sketches. Best way to do this is to have the Sub user at low enough HP that they can't put it up.

Baton Pass will require BP to fail, so make sure there's nobody else in your party to pass to, so if there's any other Pokemon in your party, either deposit them in the PC or have them faint.

Would it be a good idea to use a Sub-punch breeloom for doubles?
I'm planning to give him leftovers, and use tpxic on him with another pokemon.
Do you think that'd be a good option?
Using your own Toxic instead of carrying the orb is a neat trick, but the turn wasted by Breloom's ally may outweight the 50% extra healing.

But Sub-Punch is less viable in doubles, since your opponent can attack Breloom with both their Pokemon; one to break the sub, and the second breaks your focus. Also, using Spore to force the switch for a free Sub won't work, since the non-switching Pokemon can attack and break your Sub.

Carrying Protect may work, since it dissuades your opponent from the same target with both their Pokemon. So a moveset of Protect, Substitute, Focus Punch, and another attack may work. Not spore because making your only attack Focus Punch means you will waste turns due to broken focus, even if you make your opponent worry about Protect.

The best way to do that is by Sketching your own Pokemon that uses the move in a double battle.
Here's how to get a Pokemon with each of the moves:

Belly Drum: Makuhita learns it at lvl 25, Hariyama at lvl 27. Makuhita can be occasionally found by swarm at Route 225.
Poliwag learns it at lvl 31, and Poliwhirl learns it at lvl 37. They can both be found on routes 227 and 228 when Surfing in Platinum.

Spore: Only three Pokemon in the game learn it by level up: Shroomish (lvl 45, must keep it from evolving), Paras (lvl 17), and Parasect (lvl 17). I'd go for Paras, which can occasionally be found in the Great Marsh.

Baton Pass: The list is huge, but the most common Pokemon is Buneary (lvl 22). You can catch em in the Eterna Forest.

Substitute: It is a TM, and nearly every Pokemon can be taught it (possibly all except Ditto, Unown, and Smeargle). If you don't want to waste a TM, Mime Jr. learns it at lvl 29, and Baton Pass at lvl 46, but those are very rare in Platinum.

Once you've got a Pokemon with Spore (we'll assume its Paras), get in a double battle with a trainer team leading with Smeargle (with Sketch) and the Paras (with Spore). Make sure Smeargle is slower than Paras (make it hold a Lagging Tail/Macho Brace/ etc). Have Paras use Spore on the opponent and use Sketch with Smeargle on your Paras. Repeat for all the other moves.
Thanks very much. I'll go try it out now. Another thing, regarding Spore, Shroomish learns it at level 45 but of course i'd be sacrificing the superior stat boosts from evolving it at a lower lvl to Breloom. Is there anyway to effectively get Spore on a Breloom but have minimal loses in its stat boost due to late evolution?

EDIT: Thanks MegaMewtwo for the similar suggestion
EDIT: Would the double battle sketching thing work if its amongst 2 of my Pokemon game carts?

Thanks very much. I'll go try it out now. Another thing, regarding Spore, Shroomish learns it at level 45 but of course i'd be sacrificing the superior stat boosts from evolving it at a lower lvl to Breloom. Is there anyway to effectively get Spore on a Breloom but have minimal loses in its stat boost due to late evolution?

As long as you evolve before level 100 in DPPt, when you evolve a Pokemon has no impact on its stats. EVs/IVs do.

Blackhawk11

one on one
I'd just go for Paras, which is much easier to get Spore, unless you already have a Shroomish. I don't quite understand your question, but I believe this will answer it:
Shroomish will have a Shroomish's regular stats all the way up til lvl 45 when it learns Spore. If you evolve it right at lvl 45 after it learns Spore, the Breloom will have the stats that a lvl 45 Breloom should have. If you plan on EVing the Shroomish, there will be no effect on the EVs due to late evolution. There is also no real way to 'speed up' how strong the Shroomish is, except by standard EV training, which doesn't really speed anything up.

For you other question, if you couldn't get it to work in Singles with your other game, I doubt it will work in Doubles. Just find a double battle trainer team. There are at least two near Solaceon Town, one to the north and one is running in circles to the south.

There's no stat penalty for late evolution. A Breloom that evolved as soon as it could will have the same stats as one that held back to pick up Spore, assuming everything else is the same (IVs, EVs etc).

The only penalty that exists is that for those levels it's not evolving, it's a Shroomish as opposed to a Breloom.

What would be a good Physical antilead Dnite? In other words..

What two move types get the best coverage with Dragon and Normal?

You'll definitely want Earthquake to deal with Steel-type leads and for type coverage. For the next slot, I'd go with maybe Stone Edge to hit Flying types or Fire Punch if you want to hit Bronzong or other steel types.

Using your own Toxic instead of carrying the orb is a neat trick, but the turn wasted by Breloom's ally may outweight the 50% extra healing.

But Sub-Punch is less viable in doubles, since your opponent can attack Breloom with both their Pokemon; one to break the sub, and the second breaks your focus. Also, using Spore to force the switch for a free Sub won't work, since the non-switching Pokemon can attack and break your Sub.

Carrying Protect may work, since it dissuades your opponent from the same target with both their Pokemon. So a moveset of Protect, Substitute, Focus Punch, and another attack may work. Not spore because making your only attack Focus Punch means you will waste turns due to broken focus, even if you make your opponent worry about Protect.
thanks, I always forget about having 2 atacks...its pretty hard,...

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Actually, some of those would be better with a Timid nature. Without a Timid nature for Alakazam, it loses to base 115s. Kyogre prefers a Timid nature for its Choice sets along with the Sweeping CM set but prefers a Modest one for more bulkier sets. Manaphy wants Timid to outspeed base 90s, while Timid/Naive Magnezone beats Metagross and Breloom by 1 point. Latias needs Timid as well in order to speed tie with other Latias.

In reality, the only Modest Pokemon that jumps into my head is Sub Petaya Empoleon, and even then you can use Timid to outspeed Choice Scarf Timid Rotom-a. The metagame is way too speed based to be using Modest anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)