All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

What is usually check/counter of LO starmie in balanced/offense ?
When i can find a tour for dpp ?
What is the most popular LGS ?
How to deal with explosion ?
How i stard building team ? Lead/Spinner/anti-spiner and support/lgs/scarf user/stallbreaker ?
And finally how i can reach a good level ? i usually do ladd + searching match in room fr(i am french this is why i'm not good in english and its hard for you to read this :c)
Offensively, Kingdra does a good job of handling Starmie. If you can get Scarf Ttar or Scarf Rotom-A in against it, they can beat it out (Ttar can either Crunch for the OHKO if you think it'll stay in or Pursuit for the OHKO if it's switching out.)

I'll be hosting one next week in the Live Tournaments forum, though I won't know the exact day and time until I see my work schedule in the coming days. Besides Old Gens Tour Nights, they pop up from time to time in the Tournaments forum. In particular, Smogon Tour (which just wrapped up regular season), Smogon Classic (which has already started), WCoP (team tour, starting in about a week, but you'll have to try out for it), and Smogon Premier League (also a team tour that you'd have to try out for, but that's not until winter) are official ones that have it. Other tours happen at various times throughout the year, though~

For LGS, you can try to guess which one they have based on what their team looks like. More than likely, their team will have the goal of wearing down and removing potential counters to their LGS, so keep in mind that it can be pretty much any offensive threat before you risk something without all the details.

Ideally, you'll have something like Rotom-A, Gengar, or Skarmory take it. Otherwise, if you're predicting a boom, try to identify the weakest link on your team to sacrifice. Also, if for instance Blissey is the only thing stopping you from getting swept by X sweeper, be wary of special attackers that might also have Explosion to lure it out (Heatran, Gengar, etc.)

One of my favorite posts on team frameworks in general is by Limitless from an old BW RU thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/how-to-build-ru-teams.3475187/#post-4525198 (Keep in mind that's just a basic starting framework for a general hyper offensive team. Balance will look totally different, and your team itself will likely need to be tweaked as test it out.)

You can ask good players for tips and battles in #ruinsofalph on SynIRC. There's also the Old Gens room on PS. Both are pretty chill places, though they can be pretty quiet chats sometimes.

Hope some of that helps, and good luck, man ^.^

What is usually check/counter of LO starmie in balanced/offense ?
Pivoting to get a dude who's either faster (helps a lot if it can U-turn or Pursuit so the switch out is punished more than "just" taking an attack) or has priority. Resist berries also go a long way - Passho on Heatran / Tyranitar, Wacan on Gyarados, and the rarer but extraordinarily useful Yache on Dragonite are the best examples.

The not-as-common-but-still-quite-good Snorlax and Abomasnow are the closest you'll get to full counters.
What is the most popular LGS ?
I think it's DD Tyranitar, with Agility Empoleon a somewhat distant second. If RD Kingdra is considered a late game sweeper (it's more like a hybrid of that and a midgame wallbreaker imo), then he's probably around DDtar level of popularity.
How to deal with explosion ?
I personally don't worry about the threat of boom in and of itself, rather the pokes themselves that use it. Has it been an issue for you?
How i stard building team ? Lead/Spinner/anti-spiner and support/lgs/scarf user/stallbreaker ?
That's not a "bad" way of building teams but it's rather formulaic. Figure out what you want your team to do, and figure out the best way to do it - while it sounds simple, this is how great teams are made. Sticking to some pre-conceived notion of what you think you need is the easiest way to make generic things that good players are prepared for - the only thing you absolutely require is Stealth Rock.
how i can reach a good level ?
Watch great players play, ask for games on Smogtours (you'll get plenty of battles), join tours.
What is the repart of scizor bulky in dpp
Assuming you mean SD/Roost/BP/Bug Bite, who in my humble opinion is the best late game sweeper, 248 HP / 16 Atk / 12 Def (this is a relatively important benchmark but I've forgotten what it does, apologies - I think it has something to do with Gyarados Waterfall) / rest in SDef, Adamant.

Hello

I need some exemples about team building dude

I just start with core or sweeper and i complete with sr user,scarf user ect

How do you start to build for exemple ?

What is the best lead in the game ? empoleon/gross/champ/azelf/zapdos ?

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
No DPP expert, but will give my two cents based off of experience.

Hello

Usually I start with an idea, which is a very general term as I don't like limiting myself early on in teambuilding. It could be a single pokemon - like DD Tyranitar, a lure + pokemon that benefits from that pokemon - like Mix Flygon + DD Tar (meh example, but the point is the lure is supposed to get the normal checks to both pokemon weakened or killed so the sweeping pokemon has an easier time), a style - like physically offensive offense heavy with DD and SD sweepers, or a core - like Celebi+Heatran (I'm sure there are other forms of ideas, too). From there, I think "what am I weak to" and make sure to have those weaknesses covered up and I also make sure to cover any team necessities (revenge killer, SR setter, spinner if hazard weak, spin blocker if reliant on hazards staying, win condition of some sort, etc.). This is very generalized and there are other ways to look at it or more specific ways to think it through, however, so if you have another way of doing things, then it certainly isn't wrong if it is different from how I approach it or how others approach it.

What is the best lead in the game ?
There is no individual best lead in the game.

If you are looking for a suicide lead that will give you momentum afterwards and grant you with stealth rock, Azelf is optimal. If you're looking for a fairly hard hitter that will annoy or cripple the opponent early, Machamp may work well for you. If you want a strong special attacker that can easily get out kf the way vs checks/counters and give something else on your team momentum, Zapdos will probably work. If you want a slower lead that can still provide rocks and has potential for longevity, Metagross or Empoleon suits you best (they obviously have different niches, but they both aren't as strictly dedicated to setting SR and dying for momentum/damage as Azelf although Empoleon may be close). Etc.

The point is that it varies from team to team and role needed to role needed. If there was a best lead, you would see it on every team, but there isn't, luckily, and that's why a metagame like
Dpp isn't boring or stale when discussing leads I suppose.

Hello

What is the best lead in the game ? empoleon/gross/champ/azelf/zapdos ?
IMO just start with something, add stuff to support it, cover weaknesses, and make sure you can take on major threats. This is very general though so Ill use an oldish team of mine as an example.

Okay, so I noticed that Ice Punch DDTar's main checks, Hippowdon and Swampert, absolutely hate TSpikes, so I decided to pair the two to see what would happen. Running Roserade as a TSpiker, I decided to add in SubSplit Gengar to spinblock, it is really effective in that role as the premier Spinner nowadays, Bold Starmie, is setup fodder for this thing, while Forretress without Payback and Tentacruel also struggle to break it. From here, I decided to add Swampert to cover a bunch of things that I felt threatened the team, such as DDers, Electrics and some other things I can't remember. I also realised by this point that TTar struggles without Steels cause no Babiri Berry, so I decided to add Heatran to cover those, complete an FWG core, and check waters via Passho Berry. I finished off with Leftovers Zapdos to lead, lure stuff, and cover weaknesses to a few more things that again I can't remember.

There is no best lead in the game, and a lead's value can only really be judged by how much momentum it gets. Every lead has something different: Machamp and Zapdos hit hard and have few switchins, Azelf can suicide lead or stick around, Empoleon does well against a bunch of stuff while getting SR, same with Metagross. There's also a lot of other options like Jirachi, Heatran and Tyranitar that can threaten teams with offensive power + resist berry tanking. And then there's the defensive leads like Hippo, Pert, and SpDef Jira who create momentum by status and making you switch around a bunch trying to break them. Basically, pick something you think your team would want from these roles, and make sure your team can back you up against leads that yours struggles against (as no lead beats all others: kinda why there is no best lead).

Sorry i'm new to this and i'm not even sure if this is the right place to ask this, but does smogon post multiple move sets for gen 1 Pokemon? for most that I've seen there's only one move set or none at all for gen 1. I've wanted to do a gen 1 Venusaur analysis but someone already made one. will smogon still accept a reservation for it? And if this isn't the right place to ask this could you direct me to where i should ask this?

Reposting once:
Has anyone determined the exact probabilities and/or other mechanics regarding how Hyper Mode and Reverse Mode work in Colosseum and XD? Everywhere I look I only see vague phrases like "A Shadow Pokemon has a chance to enter Hyper Mode instead of using Shadow Rush when that move is selected" and so on. What's the chance? Is it always a flat probability (can it happen on two uses of Shadow Rush in a row?), or is it a chance that can be affected by other factors like Nature, number of turns since previous Hyper Mode, etc.?

Are all base stats the same in Gens I and II as they are in Gen III?
Yes and no. Gen 6 was the first time base stats were changed since the current stats were created. Back in Gen 1, there were not separate Special Attack and Special Defense stats; they were just both lumped under Special. In Gen 2, the Special stat was split, and became Special Defense for some Pokemon, like Chansey, and Special Attack for others, like Alakazam. In all of those cases, the original Special was still used for one or the other, so in some sense the stats weren't changed, just a new stat was added.

Yes and no. Gen 6 was the first time base stats were changed since the current stats were created. Back in Gen 1, there were not separate Special Attack and Special Defense stats; they were just both lumped under Special. In Gen 2, the Special stat was split, and became Special Defense for some Pokemon, like Chansey, and Special Attack for others, like Alakazam. In all of those cases, the original Special was still used for one or the other, so in some sense the stats weren't changed, just a new stat was added.
Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the Special split, but I guess I didn't stop to think about it affecting base stats. So the base stats for the first 251 Pokémon are the same in Gen II as they are in Gens III - V? Any idea where I can find a list of base stats for Gen I?

Thanks for the reply. I'm familiar with the Special split, but I guess I didn't stop to think about it affecting base stats. So the base stats for the first 251 Pokémon are the same in Gen II as they are in Gens III - V? Any idea where I can find a list of base stats for Gen I?
Yeah, they're the same for the most part (except for Specials). Natures from RS onward alter the maxes though.

Scarfgengar viable ? he look like good in an offensive team
Scarf Gengar is okay I suppose. I've never used it myself but yeah I can theory mon some conclusions about it:

The good is that high speed allows you to outrun everything, meaning that you can clean easily lategame, while revenging DDTar, weakened DDGyara, a few other things. Sadly it ends there, as you lose out on Life Orb 's power leaving you even more hard - walled by Jirachi, while no longer being able to switch moves leaves you at the mercy of, well, a lot of things. Also the higher speed afforded doesn't actually save you from Scarf Tyranitar and Scarf Scizor, (it actually leaves you dead in the water against all variants) if they come in when you're locked into the wrong move, you're just as dead (while most Gengar can outplay them in the right circumstances). Being worn down easily also hurts as your tendency to get walled forces you to switch out. So end of the day: decent revenge killer and cleaner but not nearly as solid as standard Gengar.

just to add to the above: id only see myself use scarf gar ever if i NEEDED spikes (if you predict rapid spin and come in on star it'll defs just attack if LO or you're weakened, w/o lefties recovery being a giveaway cuz LO is rlly popular, it does so well). it's generally inferior to other gar sets tho.

Ah okay thanks you all

And anothers questions : anyone got a good switch-in to rotom(wow and choice) because he is really annoying and if he is scarf i can't revange kill him in one team because my own scarf is rotom and it will be speed tie )

Gliscor BP is cancer ? We can destroy stall with offensive/balanced team ?

Anyone can give me an exemple of balanced team ?

OK, with the DPP talk, going with that.

350 Speed is pretty much the final threshold when it comes to the Choice Scarf, Gengar pretty much exclusively. Very rarely are there anyone faster that runs max Speed. Anything that is faster (like Raikou) would simply run enough speed to outrun max 100s. Modest Gengar misses that, so it has to run Timid, which doesn't hit as hard. Decent cleaner obviously, but no U-Turn, is frail, and Pursuit trapped on its STAB. It was excellent and common back in the old days (both DP and early Platinum), but has become pretty obscure now. I'd rather use Raikou, Infernape, or even Azelf myself now. At the very least, you won't have to be worried about being outsped by anything else at +1 with Gengar.

For Rotom? Depends on the forme. H obviously is easy for Heatran to come in. If you're running the standard Support set or an offensive one, it won't mind taking a Specs/Scarf. W is tougher usually, but Shaymin's a good switch. Heracross absorbs status, doesn't mind the Scarf, has decent SpD, and has Pursuit to trap Rotom. What you need to do is get rocks or damaging weather up quickly before it comes in and if your opponent users it to counter something, you'll be able to see if it has Leftovers or not. Then you'll have better judgement on your switch to let the chances of not messing you up. Half of it is knowing the set it's running.

I'd check the RMT archives for Balanced teams. Generally, a team with a mix of sweepers, supporters, and/or walls. Maybe at least one or two speedsters. It varies.

Last edited:
Hi !

Anyone know how i can deal with specs/magnet/expert belt zapdos lead ? its hard really hard to deal with him
What is the most popular set of ttar atm ? and if there are a good guys can give me spread of sets of ttar(there a lot not in pokedex like ttar sr)

And azelf nastyplot good lgs ? its really look like good he can OHKO a few thing with his 125 SpAtk bs + one nasty plot + life orb

Last edited:
Not many leads are good matchups for offensive/Choice Zapdos. It threatens a 1HKO/2HKO or runs away with U-Turn. Best to use the lead you want and switch to a counter (the opponent's just gonna use the move best for them anyways). Of course, it matters on what Hidden Power they're using. Tyranitar gets SR up easily and brings sand. Old school Swampert is fine against HP Ice variants. For actual full counters to switch to, you're looking at Blissey, Snorlax, and some other Electrics. It's difficult switching into it because of how it's one of the best anti-FWG Mons available. Find out the Hidden Power and it'll be easier.

Most popular set for Tyranitar is Choice Scarf. Straight 252 Att / 252 Spd.

Nasty Plot Azelf is a vintage from 2007. In theory, it sounds good, but it requires a lot of support these days to do well. You must get rid of opposing Scarfers, priority, and Blissey (or at least force it out with a lot of health lost beforehand).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)