All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

I'm using in for exemple a scooter in one of my team

You can give some check to zapdos 3 atk(hp ice) ? i can check it with ttar for exemple but t-bolt hit me hard (60-70 with specs)

Nasty Plot Azelf would be here to clean the game with a nasty plot boost he can finish all thing resist or not(60-70 with psychic on offensive tran) yeah i know its require a lot of support but its look like very cool

You can give me spread/set for ttar lead sr or classical sr ? you can advise me how i can building around a ddancer dnite ?

Last edited:
I've never used Tyranitar myself as a lead. I've seen some here and there over the years though. Like Hippowdon, it brings sand. It's not a very solid lead for the most part because it's beaten badly by Metagross, Machamp, and doesn't bypass Aerodactyl's Sash, unlike Azelf. With the sand boost, any spread with relative bulk (even simply 252 HP) is not 2HKOd and you can SR or 1HKO with Stone Edge though. You can try it, but I recommend simply building your team correctly and making sure you have a solid counter to Specs Zapdos.

Of course you can simply run the Scarf set as a lead. It's what sparked the Colbur Berry lead Azelf lol. You then outrun non-scarf Zapdos.

The counters to HP Ice are the same as before. Blissey, Snorlax, Lanturn, some Swampert (but still doesn't like HP Ice), SpD Tyranitar, that's pretty much it. It's such a dangerous threat. You sometimes have to settle only checking it, or hopefully guessing correctly what move it's using.

It depends on the rest of the team. As long as it doesn't sap too much momentum when it's out.

(By the ways, best to ask most of these in the metagame thread since they require more than short responses. I just noticed the lengths of my posts)

I only started competitive battling in Gen 4 so can anyone tell me why is Gengar OU for the first 3 generations when it's STAB moves come from it's much lower Atk stat?

RBY: Immunity to Normal sounds great but Normal-types carry Earthquake which almost OHKO Gengar. Gengar only has Hypnosis and non-STAB Special moves and maybe Explosion (but everyone gets it) so it looks pretty poor.

GSC: Pretty much the same as RBY except now it gains Ice Punch, Dynamic Punch and Destiny Bond. Spinblocker utility?

RSE: Gains some status moves like Taunt and Will-O-Wisp to abuse. Otherwise, it's just the same as the first 2 Gens (although Levitate is nice)

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RBY: Fastest sleep user, Night Shade + Thunderbolt + Explosion allows it to deal plenty of damage, defensive utility in forcing the opponent to carry specific moves to not get hardwalled
GSC: Still the fastest sleep user albeit that's not as important but Ice Punch, DynamicPunch, Destiny Bond, Perish Song, Mean Look etc. gives it a super high unpredictability factor, Explosion does even more damage which allows it to remove key defensive targets, has defensive merits as it stops Snorlax without Earthquake from doing things (and Gen 2 is all about stopping Snorlax)
ADV: EVs are introduced which makes its attacks hit "harder", Will-o-Wisp and Taunt gives it great utility as it now has a way to threaten almost every Pokémon in the game or at least stop it from doing anything meaningful. Levitate turns a weakness into an immunity. This is also the generation where it is the best spinblocker.

Talking more from an ADV perspective, Gar doesn't really need its STABs and is rarely seen using them. It has good speed and spatk which allows it to spam even non-STAB boltbeam coverage (it has Ice Punch) very well. It can also cripple checks to it such as Ttar and Metagross with Will-O-Wisp. Giga Drain lets it 2hko pert and do decent damage to ttar, while explosion lets it maul special walls such as Blissey for another special sweeper to do work. It's a decent Ground check and a general fast mon that provides some utility. It's very versatile meaning that it has very few "true" counters and can do a number to most teams. Also like Isa said it's the best spinblocker which means it's really useful for Spikes teams (stall included).

Does anyone know what happens if I battle a Secret Base trainer on a R/S/E cart with a dead battery? I'm guessing I'll never be able to battle them again, but what if I mix records again?

Aren't they saved? You could battle them every day.
Dead batteries stop time-based activities, such as the once-a-day berry people, so I would think they would stop Secret Base battles too. I'm wondering, however, if mixing records again would allow you to battle them again each time you do it, since it allows you to battle someone again the same day.

Dead batteries stop time-based activities, such as the once-a-day berry people, so I would think they would stop Secret Base battles too. I'm wondering, however, if mixing records again would allow you to battle them again each time you do it, since it allows you to battle someone again the same day.
Oh, that's what you meant by dead battery. The Berry Glitch. Connect to a later game to fix it. If not available, I guess mixing again might work, I don't know.

Lavos

Banned deucer.
hey there, recently had a wcop match where i tried to nidoking counter a zapdos sleep talk which rolled hidden power and it failed. m dragon and isa both told me during the battle after this occurred that it was working as intended, and i assume that's true because the simulator mechanics reflected that and they probably wouldn't otherwise. however i have looked on: smog dex, bulbapedia, serebii, mt.silver. and haven't yet found a resource to confirm or deny this. can someone link me a tangible confirmation, whether it's data mining or a youtube video or some other resource to prove said mechanic exists? also whether it's for all moves or just hidden power within sleep talk? i'd test it myself but my game boy link cable is busted.

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
fwiw i said i thought it was working as intended but im not positive so dont use me as an authority on this particular matter.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
hey there, recently had a wcop match where i tried to nidoking counter a zapdos sleep talk which rolled hidden power and it failed. m dragon and isa both told me during the battle after this occurred that it was working as intended, and i assume that's true because the simulator mechanics reflected that and they probably wouldn't otherwise. however i have looked on: smog dex, bulbapedia, serebii, mt.silver. and haven't yet found a resource to confirm or deny this. can someone link me a tangible confirmation, whether it's data mining or a youtube video or some other resource to prove said mechanic exists? also whether it's for all moves or just hidden power within sleep talk? i'd test it myself but my game boy link cable is busted.
You didn't mention which generation you were playing so I'm going to assume it was Gen 2. Both Counter and Mirror Coat fail on moves called by other moves (so Metronome, Mirror Move, and Sleep Talk).

Lavos

Banned deucer.
ok thanks, do you know if there's a page corroborating that fact somewhere in the vast realm of the internet that we can make accessible? so other players don't lose to a mechanic that most don't know exists.

or if we can add it to the smogdex, or whatever really. just some visibility somewhere.

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
The only site I've ever seen that mentions the mechanic is Metalloid Research. It's not even completely accurate though since it lists Mimic instead of Sleep Talk (Mimic obviously has nothing to do with it since it doesn't call moves, but replaces itself with a move).

Since Selfdestruct Mewtwo does not use a +Spe nature in the Journey Across America tournament metagame, does it require a max Speed IV?

Since Selfdestruct Mewtwo does not use a +Spe nature in the Journey Across America tournament metagame, does it require a max Speed IV?
With some exceptions (minimizing Speed for Trick Room Pokemon, minimizing Attack on special attackers to reduce confusion damage, etc.), it's always better to maximize IVs. If nothing else, having even 1 Speed IV lower means you'll always go second in a mirror match, which is undesirable. It's unavoidable if you're going for a certain Hidden Power type, but that's not usually the case with MewTwo.

With some exceptions (minimizing Speed for Trick Room Pokemon, minimizing Attack on special attackers to reduce confusion damage, etc.), it's always better to maximize IVs. If nothing else, having even 1 Speed IV lower means you'll always go second in a mirror match, which is undesirable. It's unavoidable if you're going for a certain Hidden Power type, but that's not usually the case with MewTwo.
Thanks for the reply. I understand all that; I just meant as far as SRing for one goes, is it a "toss anything that doesn't have a 31 Speed IV" kinda situation (seems impractical though, as the chance of having that with the right nature is only 1/800), or not? I'm trying to have some fun locally with an old metagame.

Thanks for the reply. I understand all that; I just meant as far as SRing for one goes, is it a "toss anything that doesn't have a 31 Speed IV" kinda situation (seems impractical though, as the chance of having that with the right nature is only 1/800), or not? I'm trying to have some fun locally with an old metagame.
If you're just having fun with friends, it shouldn't make a huge difference. If you're going for highly competitive, you can check out some RNG guides here (towards the bottom is 3rd gen stuff.) That's probably more effort than you want to do if you're just battling some buddies, but if you do want help with that, NixHex is an active and helpful dude that could probably answer some questions about the specifics~

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haha Jellicent, Misdreavus and I go way back. Anyway, to answer Missy's question, typically for old stuff where you're not guaranteed 3 IVs and RNG abuse is extremely difficult / impractical, just maximize Speed, get the nature you want, and make the other stats > 20. There may be some cases where you'd have to modify the HP IV (like 29 for LO numbers) but Mewtwo doesn't really encounter that situation afaik. Jelly hit the nail on the head in that the mirror match is most important.

RNG abuse really isn't a thing in FRLG unless you're playing on an emulator.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)