All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Hi! It is possible to check in-game (so in the cartridge) the IVs of the pokemon in Gold/Silver/Crystal? Like soft-resetting just to say.
Thank you!!!

Hi! It is possible to check in-game (so in the cartridge) the IVs of the pokemon in Gold/Silver/Crystal? Like soft-resetting just to say.
Thank you!!!
The first thing you should take into account is that IVs are called DVs in GSC, also they go from 0-15 instead of 0-31, at level 100, 1 DV means 2 points for each stat, also, there are no EVs in GSC, instead you have a stat experience, and every stat can be maxed with said experience.

For example a Lv.100 Starmie with full speed exp should hit 328 if it has 15 Spe DVs, if it has 14 DVs instead, it will hit 326.

Anyways regarding to your question: no, there's no way to check DVs ingame and you should calc yourself or use tools

Some references:
  • Gender is setted with DVs, for example: 50/50 gender ratio species will have 7-15 Atk DVs when male and 0-6 Atk when female.
  • If you got a shiny: it has 15 Atk DVs but the rest of DVs are only 10 for each stat.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/rby_gsc_stats

this article may help you to understand how stats work

http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/dv.php

this is a DV calculator and is really easy to use.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Is there any place where I can get reliable high-level GSC matches bar tours and PMing people for challenges? I'm getting increasingly frustrated losing to Ancient Power Tyranitar and Protect/Drum/EQ/DE lax on the PO ladder, among other things. Not to mention that I have a strong opponent bias - if I don't think they're good, I play brain-dead since I don't think I actually have to put effort into the match to win it, that the opponent's just that bad.

Yeah Protect is legit on Drumlax imo, especially if something tries to get cute and explode on you. (also the extra leftovers is nice)

Talenheim, im also looking for some good matches to learn the meta, many of players at POs ladder have really ass sets or they have no idea of what they are doing ( thus winning is so easy...), most of the Veteran players are online at late night or so.

You could lurk around Smogtours and get matches with the tour players.

There's a bunch of veterans at IRC too, you'll find most of them at late night.

Im also up to some GSC matches if you are interested.

Last edited:
The first thing you should take into account is that IVs are called DVs in GSC, also they go from 0-15 instead of 0-31, at level 100, 1 DV means 2 points for each stat, also, there are no EVs in GSC, instead you have a stat experience, and every stat can be maxed with said experience.

For example a Lv.100 Starmie with full speed exp should hit 328 if it has 15 Spe DVs, if it has 14 DVs instead, it will hit 326.

Anyways regarding to your question: no, there's no way to check DVs ingame and you should calc yourself or use tools

Some references:
  • Gender is setted with DVs, for example: 50/50 gender ratio species will have 7-15 Atk DVs when male and 0-6 Atk when female.
  • If you got a shiny: it has 15 Atk DVs but the rest of DVs are only 10 for each stat.

http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/rby_gsc_stats

this article may help you to understand how stats work

http://www.psypokes.com/gsc/dv.php

this is a DV calculator and is really easy to use.

Hope that helps.
Oh my God of course it helps! :D
Thank You!

what are Good Evs for the Following Politoed Sets. Assuming the Politoed is going to be used on rain offense.

set1:@mystic water
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hypnosis
-HP Grass/Focus blast

set 2: @chesto berry
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Hypnosis
-Rest

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Foggi

Banned deucer.
what are Good Evs for the Following Politoed Sets. Assuming the Politoed is going to be used on rain offense.

set1:@mystic water
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Hypnosis
-HP Grass/Focus blast

set 2: @chesto berry
-Scald
-Ice Beam
-Hypnosis
-Rest

Thanks in advance.
These sets aren't really viable, for offensive politoed you should try this Specs set.

Politoed (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 124 HP / 252 SpA / 132 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 HP / 30 SpA
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Focus Blast

Or the choice scarf set

Politoed @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Perish Song/Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

On the second set you could run 252 HP/Def with Bold Nature but i suggest you also replacing rest with toxic and Hypnosis with Perish Song.

Hi, Im having a problem with this. As you may hnow, when you breed in Emerald, the parents passes 3 IV to the newly born pokemon. I hnow that the IVs they give to the pokemon are random (For example speed, attack, etc). And I have no problem when it comes to 1 parent IV (In this case, SP. Atk), but I can't get the other parent IV (SP. Def). Sometimes I get Special Defense but no Special Attack, and sometimes viceversa. I am doing something wrong?.
I am actually trying to breed a Ralts With maxed IV in Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. What I do in order to breed?, I just put my Ralts in the day care (She have maxed IV Special Defense) with Ditto (Maxed IV Special Attack). Ditto has a Everstone so I can get the same nature Pokemon as he have. Like I'd said before, can't get both of those IVs, only one of them.

Thanks for watching and sorry for my bad english, also since I'm new, I had no idea where to post this so I did it here.

PD: Also thanks to vonFiedler, a moderator who helped me and told me where I should post this!

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Hi, Im having a problem with this. As you may hnow, when you breed in Emerald, the parents passes 3 IV to the newly born pokemon. I hnow that the IVs they give to the pokemon are random (For example speed, attack, etc). And I have no problem when it comes to 1 parent IV (In this case, SP. Atk), but I can't get the other parent IV (SP. Def). Sometimes I get Special Defense but no Special Attack, and sometimes viceversa. I am doing something wrong?.
I am actually trying to breed a Ralts With maxed IV in Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed. What I do in order to breed?, I just put my Ralts in the day care (She have maxed IV Special Defense) with Ditto (Maxed IV Special Attack). Ditto has a Everstone so I can get the same nature Pokemon as he have. Like I'd said before, can't get both of those IVs, only one of them.

Thanks for watching and sorry for my bad english, also since I'm new, I had no idea where to post this so I did it here.

PD: Also thanks to vonFiedler, a moderator who helped me and told me where I should post this!
So what's actually interesting is that Emerald has slightly different inheritance mechanics, so unlike RS or FRLG you're not always getting three IVs predetermined. It's always somewhere between 1-3 IVs passed down, because they're sequentially chosen and can be the same stat more than once. I believe this is the same way that it works in DP but I haven't bred there nearly as much.

Basically the way it works is that one IV from a random parent is chosen to be passed down. Then (again from either parent) a stat is chosen to have its IV passed down, but this stat cannot be HP. However, this is the only restriction, if it ends up picking the same stat again the first IV will be overridden by the second (or they're both chosen from the same parent). Then a third time a random parent's IV will be passed down, only this time it cannot be HP or Defense chosen. But again it can be the same one as before, and it will again override the chosen stat.

Here's an example of a scenario. You have a Pikachu with a 0/0/31/31/0/31 IV spread and a Ditto with a 31/31/31/31/31/31 IV spread. First stat is chosen and it's Ditto's SpDef IV, giving a baby with a -/-/-/-/31/- spread. Second one is chosen, it can't be Pikachu or Ditto's HP IV, and it's Pikachu's Defense IV, resulting in the baby now having a -/0/-/-/31/- spread. Third one, it can't be defense or HP, and it ends up being Pikachu's SpDef IV. This overwrites the previously chosen Ditto's SpDef IV, resulting in the baby having a final spread of -/0/-/-/0/-.

Something that I'm not 100% sure of is whether or not the exact same stat can be chosen in a row, since this can't really be tested and I'm not exactly sure where you'd look in the code. Basically what I mean is whether or not Pikachu's SpDef IV can be chosen three times in a row in the above scenario. Anyways, that's a bit off track, the answer you're looking for is that because of all this you're significantly less likely to get IVs that you want passed down in Emerald, especially when you get up to three IVs, so it's probably that you're just unlucky so far.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
How is Rain Dance Ludicolo in ADV OU? It seems pretty cool as a late-game cleaner that can also break through bulky waters, unlike Kingdra, due to his STAB Hidden Power Grass.

Ludicolo is good. It can also run a defensive set well thanks to Rain Dish, Leech Seed, decent bulk and its typing letting it wall Metagross, Suicune and (non-252 Psychic) Starmie. Consider MiracleSeed on the offensive set to give the relatively weak HP Grass a bigger kick, Lum and Mystic Water are also good choices.

So what's actually interesting is that Emerald has slightly different inheritance mechanics, so unlike RS or FRLG you're not always getting three IVs predetermined. It's always somewhere between 1-3 IVs passed down, because they're sequentially chosen and can be the same stat more than once. I believe this is the same way that it works in DP but I haven't bred there nearly as much.

Basically the way it works is that one IV from a random parent is chosen to be passed down. Then (again from either parent) a stat is chosen to have its IV passed down, but this stat cannot be HP. However, this is the only restriction, if it ends up picking the same stat again the first IV will be overridden by the second (or they're both chosen from the same parent). Then a third time a random parent's IV will be passed down, only this time it cannot be HP or Defense chosen. But again it can be the same one as before, and it will again override the chosen stat.

Here's an example of a scenario. You have a Pikachu with a 0/0/31/31/0/31 IV spread and a Ditto with a 31/31/31/31/31/31 IV spread. First stat is chosen and it's Ditto's SpDef IV, giving a baby with a -/-/-/-/31/- spread. Second one is chosen, it can't be Pikachu or Ditto's HP IV, and it's Pikachu's Defense IV, resulting in the baby now having a -/0/-/-/31/- spread. Third one, it can't be defense or HP, and it ends up being Pikachu's SpDef IV. This overwrites the previously chosen Ditto's SpDef IV, resulting in the baby having a final spread of -/0/-/-/0/-.

Something that I'm not 100% sure of is whether or not the exact same stat can be chosen in a row, since this can't really be tested and I'm not exactly sure where you'd look in the code. Basically what I mean is whether or not Pikachu's SpDef IV can be chosen three times in a row in the above scenario. Anyways, that's a bit off track, the answer you're looking for is that because of all this you're significantly less likely to get IVs that you want passed down in Emerald, especially when you get up to three IVs, so it's probably that you're just unlucky so far.
So if I do this same process in FRLG, do you think Im going to have better chances to get passed the IVs that I want?

Yes, but it can be inconvenient to do the trading for it.
Thank you, this works!.
But...can't get 3 IVs, only two of them ( which is actually pretty cool ). Do I really need to try on getting 3 IVs?, some sites says Its really hard ( In LGFR )

Does the dig glitch in RBY have any competitive merit? I could see it being incredibly annoying when pulled off on Pokemon that would otherwise hate eating paralysis, such as Alakazam against Chansey.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Would making yourself invulnerable have competitive merit? Gee, I wonder MAXWU... Although on closer inspection, it's more difficult to abuse than I thought at first glance.

Zam would be a great choice as far as frequency of getting paralyzed and common usage, but it can't very well kill other Psychics and would probably just get PP stalled by Starmie and other Zam. Grounds being immune to TWave make it tough to get them paralyzed, although not impossible considering Body Slam and double powder Eggy, but Rhydon is good if you can make that happen because it naturally 3HKOs everything (so only Withdraw Slowbro will stall it out). Dragonite is probably not strong enough, and paralysis screws with trying to free chip with Wrap, best abuse case is probably something with Swords Dance like Kingler. Maybe you can get away with doing it on Slowbro and relying on Ice Beam to freeze your way past Starmie and/or other Slowbro.

Dig is a viable attacking move in its own right if for some reason you actually want to use Ninetales or Arcanine in OU.

For Gen 1 What is it about Snorlax and Exeggutor that makes them worth running? Also why is Snorlax so good (in SS tier) in gen 2? I must be missing something and I am new to gen 1 and 2 metas btw.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
incredible stats, great utility for both

no real weaknesses and incredibly damaging attacks for snorlax (boom/hbeam and also a strong body slam)
key resistances, sleep and stun, explosion and great defensive stats to let it check everything in a pinch for exeggutor

snorlax in gsc has EVEN better stats, still good offensive firepower which it can now boost with curse (which also makes it into a monster physical tank), counters can be bypassed with the appropriate move (earthquake/fire blast for ttar/skarm, belly drum for umbreon/miltank), leftovers and rest gives it incredible longevity

Hey chums! On here, I want help creating 3 separate pokemon teams across 3 generations.

An attacking Pokemon Yellow team, a Stall Pokemon Crystal team and some sort of Pokemon Emerald team. Is there a place on here where I can ask for this help? Cheers.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Do you want those teams for in-game or for simulators? If you have questions regarding in-game, how to actually make your team in the games with maxed out stats and stuff like that you are probably best off asking in the Orange Islands subforum.

If you have questions about a competitive team and choices of mons, moves, items, etc this is the place to go. Looking through some resources from here can probably answer many of your questions from the get-go. You find important information on the general metagames, viability of each pokemon and analyses of sets you might want to use and so on. It's sorta hard to help you when you ask such general questions, if you have specific questions feel free to ask them here and you will get good answers.

Once you got finished teams you can let others rate them in the Rate My Team Forums, they have its own section for past generation teams so you might want to check that out at some point. Competitive teams that is though, not neccessarily in-game teams.

So, I've been away for a bit. Could anyone point me towards where I can find the current rules/clauses/whatever for ADV and DPP? Have they changed at all since those metas became obsolete?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'm not sure there's a quick n' dirty way of finding the current rules. That's what THIS thread is all about, however I'm not sure we got past posting Gen 1 rules on the main site that way. Need to get on that. ;[

Nothing's changed if you were previously familiar with them, though. Ingrain + Baton Pass is banned in Gen 3 I believe, pending how recent your familiarity with them is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)