1. The moderators of this forum are Jellicent and Lutra.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Jellicent, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Champion

That's because it's a metagame that never really existed before, so no you won't find (m)any resources for it. You could make your own thread if you really wanted to discuss it, dunno how much activity you'd see in it though.
  2. Zowayix

Zowayix

I thought RoA spotlights had to be an existing/established metagame before being spotlighted in the first place? Why pick a nonexistent metagame as a spotlight?
  3. jagged_angel

jagged_angel

Hopefully a simple question - what 2 pokemon would you recommend for I use for a 2v2 Pokemon Showdown tournament? My gaming group are holding one tomorrow night. Assuming Mew and Mewtwo will be banned.
  4. Golden Gyarados

Golden Gyarados
    is a Pre-Contributor

What gen?
  5. SwarmPO

SwarmPO

Hey guys. Looking around the GSC section of Smogon, I found that the moves explosion and self destruct, even though recommended, are not in some Pokemon's move list.
    For example, if you look at steelix's page, or snorlax page, and go to the move list, you will not find explosion or self destruct respectively.
    They are in the simulator itself (as they are legal) just not in the Smogon Pokedex.
    Who fixes this?
    Thanks!
  6. Oglemi

Oglemi oh my gosh you found me
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Secret Boss Mod

It's something I was gonna get to after I finish BW learnsets, which I've been working on whenever I have free time for the past couple months. For whatever reason generation-specific TMs didn't transfer from RBY -> GSC or DPP -> BW. There's also a couple of ADV tutor moves that didn't transfer to either DPP or BW.
  7. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best

That's been a problem for years, just sayin'.
  8. sumwun

sumwun

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but why is Tauros allowed in Generation 1 OU? It looks very overpowered to me.
  9. Ortheore

Ortheore

The answer to any question about borderline mons in gen 1-3 is that there wasn't the rigorous ban-oriented mentality that there is today. People just banned pokemon that seemed distinct and overpowered compared to other pokemon, so stuff like 680 BST legendaries got auto-banned, while stuff like GSC Lax wasn't seen as being special despite being ridiculously OP. It was kinda arbitrary, but ppl just rolled with it and if there were borderline elements they were tolerated and players adapted. Once those banlists were established for a long time they were the status quo and almost everyone who played those gens wouldn't want to deviate from that.

In terms of actually talking about Tauros' balance, it's definitely something I would consider borderline, but it's totally ruined by paralysis and there are a number of pokemon that can weather its assault and/or hit it hard, especially special attackers since it's less bulky on that side. Although it's difficult to outright wall, most pokemon have something up their sleeve whether it be paralysis, strong special attacks or they have Reflect. Granted it's hard to maintain their health over the course of a battle, but it's not unreasonable imo. Another dynamic that has to be considered is that you should have a Tauros of your own, and it's quite common to see them square off against each other- this is likely to end up with one Tauros dead and the other sitting at around 40% HP, which is a lot more manageable. Because that matchup can swing the game a lot Tauros will often be played very carefully early in the match so as not to concede an advantage in the ditto. Ofc, the fact that the ditto is such a big deal is itself something of an alarm bell but whatever
  10. sumwun

sumwun

11. Oglemi

is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Secret Boss Mod

Make a post here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/small-subjective-changes-controversial-edits.3489980/
  12. Fanyfan

Fanyfan formerly Fannyfan

Which GSC tier list is correct? The one on ps or on the smogon dex?
  13. Oglemi

Secret Boss Mod

Concerning what in particular? Because they should ideally be the same
  14. Fanyfan

Fanyfan formerly Fannyfan

Dragonite is Ou on ps, Bl on smogdex

Porygon2 and Rhydon are Bl on ps and Ou on smogdex

I think it's mostly these three, but I'm curious what the "official" tier of these pokes are
  15. implaser

implaser

Why were Latias and Latios banned in DPP OU?
    And was soul dew ever banned in DPP OU?
  16. The Quasar

The Quasar
    is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Oh, the right answer to your first question around Latias has a long story, I know.

http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue10/latias

Latios was banned before Latias because Latios has a 130 SpA vs 110 Spa.

About soul dew, its crazy boost (as a Choice Specs without Specs) was out-of-control when Latias was OU.
  17. Oglemi

Secret Boss Mod

Soul dew was in fact banned in dpp ou, at least for the duration of latias's stay in ou.

Latios was nuts in DPP even without soul dew. Draco meteors coming off base 130 spa and sporting an insane 110 speed tier was way too much for the tier to handle. While Mence was a controversial ban in itself, latios would have basically been Mence on steroids since latios could definitely also have afforded to go mixed or even physical if it wanted to, eliminating the potential for anything to counter it or even effectively check it. It was theorymonned to be too much at the start and was never bothered to be tested.

Latias started in the same boat as latios, being theorymonned to be too good from the start, but it was given a shot in the series of suspect tests and largely determined to be not as broken as originally thought, at least less so than shaymin-s and manaphy. And while a number of top dpp players claim that the latias metagame to be the best dpp ou metagame, it was eventually determined to be broken largely in part to its own versatility being able to sport all kinds of offensive and defensive sets, all that came with the potential nuke in draco meteor.
    The Quasar and Khaytra like this.
  18. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best

Latias is still better, it's almost like people actually believe defenses don't exist or something. Mence just got banned because I bitched about it a lot with regard to Garchomp being banned. And thus started Smogon's ban-happy stance toward everything remotely good in OU so I stopped playing current-gen OU. Good times... not really, it sucks.

Quite frankly, just going by the latest SPL all three of those GSC mons should be BL probably but I would typically say Smogon is correct. Mind you, there is no functional difference anyway, since all three would be banned from UU regardless and it isn't stopping you from using any of them in OU (Rhydon and P2 are both pretty good even... Dragonite not so much).
    Fanyfan likes this.
  19. Kaisser

Kaisser

Hi all, I don't have exactly a question but probably you could help me. Some years ago, I read a really interesting thread about Machamp and Hariyama in an ADV environment (I think that Lanturn appears too in the topic) but now I don't find the topic. Could somebody share the link?
  20. Agent Gibbs

Agent Gibbs
    is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Anyone know what happened to the old RBY 2K10 forum? There were some pretty interesting discussions there that I used to like reading, but the forum appears to be completely gone now.
  21. Eden's Embrace

Eden's Embrace The Beast that Shouted Love at the Heart of the World

22. Agent Gibbs

Agent Gibbs
    is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Do you know if all those old threads were moved there as well, or were they deleted? It'd be a real shame if they were, some of them were pretty fun reads.
  23. Eden's Embrace

isa killed rby2k10 iirc; use the wayback machine maybe to find these threads;

Agent Gibbs
    Agent Gibbs likes this.
  24. Isa

Isa CHINGUYA
    is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Global Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

i didnt "kill" it. after realizing i didnt have the energy to keep it alive, i let it be and didnt visit for over a year. when i took a look a month ago it was hijacked by someone redirecting people to pokemon perfect - i dont know who did that but it definitely wasnt me. i was the head admin when it went down, so i can accept that i let it die, but i definitely did not "kill" it.
  25. Eden's Embrace

Isa I didn't mean in the sense of killing it; I probably should have worded myself, a little better, let it die is probably more apt. Didn't mean to sound accusatory, wrote it a bit quickly. Sorry again!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)