1. The moderators of this forum are Jellicent, Lutra and undisputed.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Discussion in 'Ruins of Alph' started by Jellicent, Jun 25, 2012.

1. george182

george182

It is not softboiled, all moves appear to be incompatible with magic guard at the moment.
  2. sumwun

sumwun

It could also be a problem with seismic toss, as seismic toss also requires a Generation 3 move tutor. Even then, it shouldn't be a problem, because Clefairy can be taught seismic toss and softboiled in Generation 3, transferred to Generation 4, and evolved. This should have a 1/2 chance to result in a Clefable with magic guard, seismic toss, and softboiled.
  3. Foggi

Foggi Tournament Banned

i already informed zarel and some other staff members about the problem with clefable and explained him how to obtain the certain set with Magic Guard abillity some time ago, but he seems to not have fixed that yet
    hyw likes this.
  4. The Immortal

The Immortal They Don't Want None
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Smogon Social Media Contributoris a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Live Chat Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
    Other Metas Leader

You can't. Nobody plays it. It only exists on PS! because Zarel.
  5. sumwun

sumwun

Why are drizzle and drought banned in Generation 6 lower tiers?
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  6. sumwun

sumwun

But why were they banned in UU? This doesn't answer my question.
    Edit: I found the answer myself. Apparently it's because there were lots of swift swimmers, so banning all of them would be more of a hassle than banning drizzle.
  7. sumwun

sumwun

Generation 3 had 200 Metagame, and generations 6 and 7 had Pre-bank OU. Do Generations 4 and 5 have anything like that?
  8. Aldertz

Aldertz formerly BPGXMG

I've never heard of one, so I doubt it. Gens 4 and 5 didn't get as drastic changes because you could migrate Pokémon in-game, meaning all pokemon were accessible from the start
  9. Jellicent

Jellicent
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

DP had a few differences from Plat + HG/SS. Hypnosis had 70% accuracy. Blizzard and Thunder could break through Protect / Detect when used in hail and rain, respectively. There were also no Rotom formes, which is pretty huge. Platinum's move tutors and movepool changes were arguably bigger, though. That's how we got stuff like Scizor with Bullet Punch and Superpower.

BW1 vs BW2 is mostly just a difference in which Dream World abilities were released, though that's pretty notable. You can see how different DW abilities became available here. The shard move tutors also expanded movepools (especially for BW mons that didn't have access to DPP's).
  10. sumwun

sumwun

Are there any guides for playing with these differences (or for playing without national Pokedex Pokemon)?
  11. Jellicent

Jellicent
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

Not really. Neither have ever been featured on the sim after the later games of the gens came out, and it's not something that peeps really play. Your best bet would be searching through The Smog Archives, Gen 4 Competitive Discussion, BW OU, and The RMT Archive for DP / BW1 era content.
    sumwun likes this.
  12. Porii Sames

Porii Sames

kinda applies to later gens too but idk while i'm here

how do cartridges work to detect things like making sure thick club raises marowak's attack or stick boosts farfetch'd's crit ratio? do they scan for the pokedex number? the exact name?
  13. MQJinx

MQJinx

What's the "standard team" in GSC OU?
  14. Oglemi

Oglemi oh my gosh you found me
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
    Secret Boss Mod

a "generic" team would be something like snorlax/electric legend/exeggutor/cloyster/steel-type/filler, which is a general idea of what a majority of gsc teams look like

to get more technical there's actually a number of different builds you can make: offense leaning balance, defense leaning balance, stall, explosion, bp being the main ones that come to mind, depending on what you're comfortable using
    Aldertz and OrangeGuru like this.
  15. BKC

BKC It's always nice to be included in a sentence someone says.
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 16 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon championis the Smogon Tour Season 22 Champion

if youve ever seen borats team this will look familiar. the most standard gsc team is an offense consisting of zapdos, cloyster, exeggutor, steelix, snorlax, last (most commonly machamp, then vaporeon, then gengar, then nidoking, then raikou, others are usable but not nearly common enough to be mentioned). zap is just about always thunder hpice restalk, cloyster has spikes/explosion and then surf/toxic, surf/hp elec, or ice beam/hp elec (dont really see much clamp/screech stuff these days), exeggutor has explosion/psychic and then 2 of sleep/stun/giga/hp fire/thief (leech seed is really rare), steelix is nearly always curse/eq/roar/explosion (sometimes replaced for body slam or rock slide), snorlax can be anything but generally assume a curser of some kind for defensive stability (forces the opponent to stall it which can help you regain momentum if youve fallen a little behind). machamp would be curse 3 attacks (cc/rs/hpbug generally but earthquake is good too), vaporeon is growth/surf/rest/acid armor or sleep talk, gengar is whatever but generally ice punch/tbolt/dpunch/boom (throw in shit you like such as hypnosis and dbond), nido is lovely kiss/eq/ib/thunder (fb is reaaaally rare, sometimes thief is used over lk), raikou should be thunder/hp water/roar/rest imo (and it allows for a more aggressive lax i think)

there are other popular teams (for example zapdos/starmie/skarmory/miltank/drumlax/marowak) but the above is the gold standard in this day and age. its style is often referred to as a "boom team" and people try to take advantage of it pokemon like tentacruel and jynx
    Aldertz and Foggi like this.
  16. FNH

FNH

Is there a ladder usage chart of each mon for each gen and tier? If so where would it be located?
  17. LibertarianMaster

LibertarianMaster

There you go http://www.smogon.com/stats/
    woofmasterarf likes this.
  18. Bradthebad101

Bradthebad101

What is ruin of alphs and if there is a threat I am missing that explains it please link, and thank you.
  19. Merritt

Merritt
    is a Pre-Contributor

Fastest way to sum it up is the subforum header.

20. Bradthebad101

Bradthebad101

21. Jeffv

Jeffv formerly Le teamribou

Is there an equivalent to battling 101 for B/W uber ?
  22. sumwun

sumwun

Why does Kevin Garrett stall prefer heat Rotom over the other Rotom forms?
  23. BKC

BKC It's always nice to be included in a sentence someone says.
    is a Team Rater Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 16 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon championis the Smogon Tour Season 22 Champion

on a set like that it doesn't really matter so it's really minor stuff but the stall v stall matchup back when forretress was around could get pretty tight so any advantage was nice and telling the other guy that you could have overheat and making him think twice about staying in to stack spikes or throw a payback could be helpful. realistically the team/style was so well-known and rotom's non-scarf (and eventually specs) set was almost always restalk; the biggest question being whether it was wisp/sball/reflect in the last slot, and I can't think of anyone good at the time who'd be caught using lefties overheat, so in practice it didn't really do anything and it's just a matter of picking your favorite rotom form. heat was the "best" for a while although for a long time now that has shifted to wash.
    ssjjynx and sumwun like this.
  24. sumwun

sumwun

Do we still have usage stats from 2013? How can I look at them?
  25. Drk Pwnr

Drk Pwnr

Pardon me if this isn't the right place to ask (I have no idea where else I could go to ask this):
    Are there any learnset differences (level-up moves, TMs, HMs) between the original Japanese Red/Green, the original Japanese Blue, and the worldwide Red/Blue release? I know Yellow changed up some sets (Pikachu, Eevee, etc.) from the worldwide Red/Blue, but as you can imagine it's hard to find information on the Japanese RGB releases.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)