All Gens Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer Mark II (RoA edition)

Hopefully a simple question - what 2 pokemon would you recommend for I use for a 2v2 Pokemon Showdown tournament? My gaming group are holding one tomorrow night. Assuming Mew and Mewtwo will be banned.

Hey guys. Looking around the GSC section of Smogon, I found that the moves explosion and self destruct, even though recommended, are not in some Pokemon's move list.
For example, if you look at steelix's page, or snorlax page, and go to the move list, you will not find explosion or self destruct respectively.
They are in the simulator itself (as they are legal) just not in the Smogon Pokedex.
Who fixes this?
Thanks!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Hey guys. Looking around the GSC section of Smogon, I found that the moves explosion and self destruct, even though recommended, are not in some Pokemon's move list.
For example, if you look at steelix's page, or snorlax page, and go to the move list, you will not find explosion or self destruct respectively.
They are in the simulator itself (as they are legal) just not in the Smogon Pokedex.
Who fixes this?
Thanks!
It's something I was gonna get to after I finish BW learnsets, which I've been working on whenever I have free time for the past couple months. For whatever reason generation-specific TMs didn't transfer from RBY -> GSC or DPP -> BW. There's also a couple of ADV tutor moves that didn't transfer to either DPP or BW.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but why is Tauros allowed in Generation 1 OU? It looks very overpowered to me.

The answer to any question about borderline mons in gen 1-3 is that there wasn't the rigorous ban-oriented mentality that there is today. People just banned pokemon that seemed distinct and overpowered compared to other pokemon, so stuff like 680 BST legendaries got auto-banned, while stuff like GSC Lax wasn't seen as being special despite being ridiculously OP. It was kinda arbitrary, but ppl just rolled with it and if there were borderline elements they were tolerated and players adapted. Once those banlists were established for a long time they were the status quo and almost everyone who played those gens wouldn't want to deviate from that.

In terms of actually talking about Tauros' balance, it's definitely something I would consider borderline, but it's totally ruined by paralysis and there are a number of pokemon that can weather its assault and/or hit it hard, especially special attackers since it's less bulky on that side. Although it's difficult to outright wall, most pokemon have something up their sleeve whether it be paralysis, strong special attacks or they have Reflect. Granted it's hard to maintain their health over the course of a battle, but it's not unreasonable imo. Another dynamic that has to be considered is that you should have a Tauros of your own, and it's quite common to see them square off against each other- this is likely to end up with one Tauros dead and the other sitting at around 40% HP, which is a lot more manageable. Because that matchup can swing the game a lot Tauros will often be played very carefully early in the match so as not to concede an advantage in the ditto. Ofc, the fact that the ditto is such a big deal is itself something of an alarm bell but whatever

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I find Smogon's EV guides to be incomplete. I specifically know how to improve these pages:
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/evs_ivs
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/ev_manual
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/emerald_ev_manual
I already tried asking the people who created the guides, but none of them seem to be active. How can I make those pages more complete?
Make a post here http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/small-subjective-changes-controversial-edits.3489980/

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Which GSC tier list is correct? The one on ps or on the smogon dex?

fanyfan

i once put 42 mcdonalds chicken nuggets in my anus
Concerning what in particular? Because they should ideally be the same
Dragonite is Ou on ps, Bl on smogdex

Porygon2 and Rhydon are Bl on ps and Ou on smogdex

I think it's mostly these three, but I'm curious what the "official" tier of these pokes are

Oglemi

Borf
Why were Latias and Latios banned in DPP OU?
And was soul dew ever banned in DPP OU?
Soul dew was in fact banned in dpp ou, at least for the duration of latias's stay in ou.

Latios was nuts in DPP even without soul dew. Draco meteors coming off base 130 spa and sporting an insane 110 speed tier was way too much for the tier to handle. While Mence was a controversial ban in itself, latios would have basically been Mence on steroids since latios could definitely also have afforded to go mixed or even physical if it wanted to, eliminating the potential for anything to counter it or even effectively check it. It was theorymonned to be too much at the start and was never bothered to be tested.

Latias started in the same boat as latios, being theorymonned to be too good from the start, but it was given a shot in the series of suspect tests and largely determined to be not as broken as originally thought, at least less so than shaymin-s and manaphy. And while a number of top dpp players claim that the latias metagame to be the best dpp ou metagame, it was eventually determined to be broken largely in part to its own versatility being able to sport all kinds of offensive and defensive sets, all that came with the potential nuke in draco meteor.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Latias is still better, it's almost like people actually believe defenses don't exist or something. Mence just got banned because I bitched about it a lot with regard to Garchomp being banned. And thus started Smogon's ban-happy stance toward everything remotely good in OU so I stopped playing current-gen OU. Good times... not really, it sucks.

Quite frankly, just going by the latest SPL all three of those GSC mons should be BL probably but I would typically say Smogon is correct. Mind you, there is no functional difference anyway, since all three would be banned from UU regardless and it isn't stopping you from using any of them in OU (Rhydon and P2 are both pretty good even... Dragonite not so much).

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
Hi all, I don't have exactly a question but probably you could help me. Some years ago, I read a really interesting thread about Machamp and Hariyama in an ADV environment (I think that Lanturn appears too in the topic) but now I don't find the topic. Could somebody share the link?

Anyone know what happened to the old RBY 2K10 forum? There were some pretty interesting discussions there that I used to like reading, but the forum appears to be completely gone now.

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
isa killed rby2k10 iirc; use the wayback machine maybe to find these threads;

Agent Gibbs
i didnt "kill" it. after realizing i didnt have the energy to keep it alive, i let it be and didnt visit for over a year. when i took a look a month ago it was hijacked by someone redirecting people to pokemon perfect - i dont know who did that but it definitely wasnt me. i was the head admin when it went down, so i can accept that i let it die, but i definitely did not "kill" it.

i didnt "kill" it. after realizing i didnt have the energy to keep it alive, i let it be and didnt visit for over a year. when i took a look a month ago it was hijacked by someone redirecting people to pokemon perfect - i dont know who did that but it definitely wasnt me. i was the head admin when it went down, so i can accept that i let it die, but i definitely did not "kill" it.
Isa I didn't mean in the sense of killing it; I probably should have worded myself, a little better, let it die is probably more apt. Didn't mean to sound accusatory, wrote it a bit quickly. Sorry again!

http://www.smogon.com/stats/2017-02/moveset/gen5ou-1760.txt
Can someone please explain why so many Slowbros are holding eviolites?
Probably based on the classic mistaken idea that Slowbro evolves into Slowking, rather than being the other branch of the split evo. It's a bizarrely common mistake for people just getting into competitive, I've seen.
As for why it has such a high number (33%), keep in mind that old gen ladders are much slower than normal ladders and so the stats represent fewer games. There were only 250 Slowbro counted in that month, meaning only 60ish games where it had Eviolite. Own Tempo also has like 31% in that stat total, so...... Maybe some people were just messing around with a bad Slowbro team and they got enough games that it showed up on the stats?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)