Resource Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

hey! is there any way for fire to consistently beat scarf nihilego without running a shitty/extremely unconventional or situational set? i know nihilego or even scarf is pretty uncommon but it basically straight up 6-0s every fire team i make
Keep your Heatran healthy or run Choice Scarf Infernape.

Will type-only bans ever be a thing again? Like Mega-Medicham being banned on Psychic but not Fighting. I remember reading a while back that there were some people for it, but I don't remember the reasons exactly for or against the policy.

Eien

I'll face myself
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Monotype Co-Leader
Will type-only bans ever be a thing again? Like Mega-Medicham being banned on Psychic but not Fighting. I remember reading a while back that there were some people for it, but I don't remember the reasons exactly for or against the policy.
This is the most recent discussion of type bans, which might be what you're talking about? There was a decent amount of discussion from both sides here, so it's probably a good place to start if you want to see the reasons for or against type bans. http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-monotype-discussion.3544507/page-67#post-6911700

While of course there's no way to know for a fact that type bans will never ever be a thing again, I wouldn't hold my breath. It's against our current tiering philosophy, so unless there is a huge revamp of both our leadership and our philosophy, it's probably not going to happen. I can say with certainty that, for the Mega Medicham suspect, a type ban is definitely not in the realm of possibility.

If you want to discuss type bans in more detail, that would probably be beyond the scope of this thread (can't really give a simple answer!). Feel free to PM me, though, if you see me on Showdown (username: Eien) and I'd be happy to talk about it more with you.

AquaSierra

formerly EchoSierra
Is Trick Room Steel viable? I was looking at the Trick Room Magearna set and contemplating this, and I figured that it might work out considering that Steel is bulky enough that if you assume you're slower than everything else, it still works out.

So, I thought to myself, it couldn't hurt to try Trick Room Steel with Magearna and Jirachi as setters, and probably min speed Bisharp, Doublade, who knows. My guess is that it would be viable considering Steel's bulk even with speed-invested EVs, so without them, who knows what could happen; plus, STAB Gyro Ball.

But, I wasn't sure if anyone has tried it or faced it before, so... what do you guys think?

Is Trick Room Steel viable? I was looking at the Trick Room Magearna set and contemplating this, and I figured that it might work out considering that Steel is bulky enough that if you assume you're slower than everything else, it still works out.

So, I thought to myself, it couldn't hurt to try Trick Room Steel with Magearna and Jirachi as setters, and probably min speed Bisharp, Doublade, who knows. My guess is that it would be viable considering Steel's bulk even with speed-invested EVs, so without them, who knows what could happen; plus, STAB Gyro Ball.

But, I wasn't sure if anyone has tried it or faced it before, so... what do you guys think?
Ehh seems pretty solid. Use choice handed ferrothorn lol

I've got my own question: Why did Dhelmise drop to C on Ghost?

As far as I know, TR steel was much better early last gen when mega mawile was a thing. As of now, I haven't tried it but it sounds pretty bad on paper.
That said, OTR magearna is a threat:
Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 236 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Aura Sphere

Ehh seems pretty solid. Use choice handed ferrothorn lol

I've got my own question: Why did Dhelmise drop to C on Ghost?
This is not the place to ask that, PM Vid or Eien (or zarif but he's a monkey) on PS or here.

Eien

I'll face myself
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Monotype Co-Leader

No. It's a gimmick I've personally played a lot with for fun, but it, like most other Trick Room teams in Monotype, fails to be better than its alternatives. The opportunity cost of sacrificing teamslots and sets to accommodate such a difficult-to-pull-off strategy that isn't even particularly effective just doesn't work. There just doesn't seem to be much of a reason to use it over a more standard hyper offense team.

However, if you seriously want to use it, then here's a general starter template you can build off and experiment with:

Entry Hazards (Suicide Lead Skarmory)
Trick Room Setter (Jirachi, Bronzong)
Sweeper (Magearna)
Wallbreaker (Choice Specs Heatran)
Speed Control (Choice Scarf Excadrill)
Utility (Celesteela, Mega Scizor, Bisharp)

theuntalented oops sorry missed your question. Dhelmise simply doesn't compete with other B ranks. Golurk opens up SD Alolan Marowak, Hoopa is perhaps the best wallbreaker, Sableye is the best stallbreaker, Chandelure is a consistent Choice Scarf user, of which Ghost has few, and Doublade is a nice physical sweeper. Dhelmise fits much better in with the more niche picks of Cofagrigrus, which only works on TR, Decidueye, which has a rare use of Defog, and Froslass, which can use Spikes.

Hello good people. I just have a question for monotype Water. I am one of the gym leader tryouts in some facebook page, and i would like any suggestions on building a viable Singles AND a Doubles team. Enough to pose a real challenge, not necessarily to like focus on beating every challenger XD Also some of us gym tryouts do battle each other a lot for fun and the assigned leaders use their gym team to test out tryouts :)

Here are my BR Waters:
-Pelipper
-Greninja
-Ash Greninja
-Mantine
-Slowbro
-Wishiwashi
-Tapu Fini
-Swampert
-Milotic
-Rotom-Wash
-Toxapex
-Suicune
-Mega Sharpedo
-Gastrodon
-Sap Sipper Azumarill
-Pyukumuku
-Golisopod
-Araquanid
-Barbaracle
-Volt Absorb Lanturn
-Empoleon ((Non-Stealth Rock))

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance :)

Eien

I'll face myself
Monotype Co-Leader
Hello good people. I just have a question for monotype Water. I am one of the gym leader tryouts in some facebook page, and i would like any suggestions on building a viable Singles AND a Doubles team. Enough to pose a real challenge, not necessarily to like focus on beating every challenger XD Also some of us gym tryouts do battle each other a lot for fun and the assigned leaders use their gym team to test out tryouts :)

Here are my BR Waters:
-Pelipper
-Greninja
-Ash Greninja
-Mantine
-Slowbro
-Wishiwashi
-Tapu Fini
-Swampert
-Milotic
-Rotom-Wash
-Toxapex
-Suicune
-Mega Sharpedo
-Gastrodon
-Sap Sipper Azumarill
-Pyukumuku
-Golisopod
-Araquanid
-Barbaracle
-Volt Absorb Lanturn
-Empoleon ((Non-Stealth Rock))

Any help would be appreciated, thank you in advance :)
You'll want to check out our Viability Rankings for help in building your Singles Water team. I'd also note that Ash-Greninja is banned from Monotype and may not be used. If you want a somewhat workable team, you could try something like: Greninja / Swampert / Toxapex / Tapu Fini / Mega Sharpedo / Suicune. You lack some critical Pokemon options that would make it much better, though, such as Keldeo and Gyarados.

With regards to a Monotype Doubles team, you should check out our OM Megathread, which includes a Water sample team. While it does have Pokemon you don't, you can use some substitutions to make it work anyway.

You'll want to check out our Viability Rankings for help in building your Singles Water team. I'd also note that Ash-Greninja is banned from Monotype and may not be used. If you want a somewhat workable team, you could try something like: Greninja / Swampert / Toxapex / Tapu Fini / Mega Sharpedo / Suicune. You lack some critical Pokemon options that would make it much better, though, such as Keldeo and Gyarados.
Oh, that's almost similar to one of my team drafts :)

Well, i do have a Gyarados but it still needs some more work, and my Keldeo isn't BR XD

With regards to a Monotype Doubles team, you should check out our OM Megathread, which includes a Water sample team. While it does have Pokemon you don't, you can use some substitutions to make it work anyway.
Will do. Thank you for your help! ^_^

Is there any type that is unviable/heavily unfavored in the format? I want to get into this with at least some idea on what to build my first team around :x

Vid

Love Yourz
is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributor
Is there any type that is unviable/heavily unfavored in the format? I want to get into this with at least some idea on what to build my first team around :x
Ice and Rock are extremely hard for new players to pick up. I would say Fairy and Steel are easiest to pickup because of their defined team structure.

ice rock and ghost are all quite bad, i would put fighting close to that too but galladite just got announced and that will heavily shake things up. best place to start is balance flying or psychic, or fairy

Ice and Rock are extremely hard for new players to pick up. I would say Fairy and Steel are easiest to pickup because of their defined team structure.
ice rock and ghost are all quite bad, i would put fighting close to that too but galladite just got announced and that will heavily shake things up. best place to start is balance flying or psychic, or fairy
Thanks a lot!

Hey guys I was wondering why some types are considered "bad" and can't be used in arguments that deal with bans. I've heard the argument that a type would still be bad even if [insert mon here] is banned but aren't we supposed to judge the meta as it exists now and not making theories about the future?