Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer: Monotype Edition

Can i use porygon 2 and porygon z in the same team?
Since they are different mons with different dex numbers (like Piloswine and Mamoswine or pretty much any 2 mons from the same evolutionary line), you can indeed use both of them in the same team!

Since they are different mons with different dex numbers (like Piloswine and Mamoswine or pretty much any 2 mons from the same evolutionary line), you can indeed use both of them in the same team!
Thanks! I asked because I was eliminated from a tournament for using both.

When does the MPL farm league start, and how is the real MPL handled as far as new players go? Is it a tryout, a direct draft, etc?

Also, when does the Mono Fall Seasonal start?

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader
When does the MPL farm league start, and how is the real MPL handled as far as new players go? Is it a tryout, a direct draft, etc?

Also, when does the Mono Fall Seasonal start?
The MPL is once a year and the farm league is the same time as the MPL which starts around midapril to early may. Managers are chosen at the beginning of each and you can contact them on smogon or ps to tryout for a team. If they are impressed they may nominate/bid on you in the MPL player auction.

Also Fall Seasonal should begin within a few weeks to a month of summer seasonal ending. Paleo, who organizes seasonals would be able to give you more specific information.

Last edited:
The MPL is once a year and the farm league is the same time as the MPL which starts around midapril to early may. Managers are chosen at the beginning of each and you can contact them on smogon or ps to tryout for a team. If they are impressed they may nominate/bid on you in the MPL player auction.

Also Fall Seasonal should begin within a few weeks to a month of summer seasonal ending. Paleo, who organizes seasonals would be able to give you more specific information.
Awesome, thanks!

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I want to get better with mono poison and I'm looking for ways around mega pinsir. A swords dance set with earthquake/quick attack/return is a total coin flip on the switch for any poison pokemon, far as I can see.

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I want to get better with mono poison and I'm looking for ways around mega pinsir. A swords dance set with earthquake/quick attack/return is a total coin flip on the switch for any poison pokemon, far as I can see.
Hi Garagara, for Checking Pinsir-Mega on poison you can run scarf nihilego which does a pretty good job of checking pinsir-mega :
252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 564-664 (208.1 - 245%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 162-191 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 32% chance to 2HKO

Webs are an issue though and you have to play around it, next thing that you can use to check it and keep webs away is crobat:
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 216-255 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 204-240 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Mega Pinsir can be a pretty big threat for poison if you dont play around with it well. Hoping this helps you.

Hi Garagara, for Checking Pinsir-Mega on poison you can run scarf nihilego which does a pretty good job of checking pinsir-mega :
252 SpA Nihilego Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 564-664 (208.1 - 245%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Nihilego: 162-191 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 32% chance to 2HKO

Webs are an issue though and you have to play around it, next thing that you can use to check it and keep webs away is crobat:
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Quick Attack vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 216-255 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

0 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Pinsir-Mega: 204-240 (75.2 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO.

Mega Pinsir can be a pretty big threat for poison if you dont play around with it well. Hoping this helps you.
Yeah I did see those. I suppose there are checks but no guaranteed counter. If they manage to get pinsir in safely then they could earthquake nihilego on the switch or return/quick attack crobat. I guess the only answer at that point is sacking a poke to get mine in safely

Is the weebly monotype website broken? A lot of the links in the main post of the main discussion thread are kinda broken (for example, usage stats does not work for me), and when I actually am on the site, for example, the sprite gallery link just directs to a blank area beneath the monotype header stuff. When I hit matchup tables, there's text DESCRIBING the table, but no actual matchup table. Type analyses shows some text too, but no actual analyses. Is the site just outdated and not really used anymore or is this a bug (and if so, is this on my end, or the site's?)? I like having the resources but it's kinda crappy when they don't show up as I'm sure they were intended to. :( If the site is just broken/outdated, can someone link me to anything useful like the things I mentioned off the site?

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Is the weebly monotype website broken? A lot of the links in the main post of the main discussion thread are kinda broken (for example, usage stats does not work for me), and when I actually am on the site, for example, the sprite gallery link just directs to a blank area beneath the monotype header stuff. When I hit matchup tables, there's text DESCRIBING the table, but no actual matchup table. Type analyses shows some text too, but no actual analyses. Is the site just outdated and not really used anymore or is this a bug (and if so, is this on my end, or the site's?)? I like having the resources but it's kinda crappy when they don't show up as I'm sure they were intended to. :( If the site is just broken/outdated, can someone link me to anything useful like the things I mentioned off the site?
AFAIK the website was run by scpinion, and died of natural causes. I've been planning to rework the stats myself, but it's pretty far down my to-do list so it won't happen any time soon.
Archives of the stats can be found here, if it's any use: https://web.archive.org/web/20161219151622/http://monotypeps.weebly.com/matchup-tables.html (it takes a while, but loads eventually)

AFAIK the website was run by scpinion, and died of natural causes. I've been planning to rework the stats myself, but it's pretty far down my to-do list so it won't happen any time soon.
Archives of the stats can be found here, if it's any use: https://web.archive.org/web/20161219151622/http://monotypeps.weebly.com/matchup-tables.html (it takes a while, but loads eventually)
aye, I figured as much, just wasn't sure since it's still linked in a lot of places here. thanks!

Acast

Ghost of a Forum Mod & PS Room Owner
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I appreciate you posting about it, because I didn't realize the weebly was still linked anywhere. I just finished updating the links in the OP of the Metagame Discussion thread. As DoW said, there are no up-to-date usage stats, but all the other resources should now be linked correctly. If you notice any other broken links, please notify either myself or Eien (a PM here on the forums or on discord would be fine).

Is HO Flying viable right now, or is it just limited to the typical Flying Balance build?
Hello,

HO Flying is not viable, to put it in short. I have spoken to Eien and A Tyke about this.

It’s simply not as good as Balanced builds, and ends up losing to very common threats such as Nihilego, Greninja, and Tapu Koko that Balanced Flying normally has some way of dealing with. More offensively biased teams could work, but all-out Hyper Offense tends not to.

Hope that answers your question!

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Hello,

HO Flying is not viable, to put it in short. I have spoken to Eien and A Tyke about this.

It’s simply not as good as Balanced builds, and ends up losing to very common threats such as Nihilego, Greninja, and Tapu Koko that Balanced Flying normally has some way of dealing with. More offensively biased teams could work, but all-out Hyper Offense tends not to.

Hope that answers your question!
ah, thank you. Well as long as offensively-biased Flying is still viable I'm good, just glad there's some actual diversity in this lol

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask. Some of my friends are hosting a little monotype competition, but it uses battle spot rules, which means I can't run kyurem-b on my mono dragon team. Is there something I could replace it with or should I try another type?

I'm hoping this is the right place to ask. Some of my friends are hosting a little monotype competition, but it uses battle spot rules, which means I can't run kyurem-b on my mono dragon team. Is there something I could replace it with or should I try another type?
Well Kyurem-Black is pretty mandatory on Dragon as one of the type's best wallbreakers, and building a good team without it would be nearly impossible considering how much it offers, so you might be better off using another type.

What exactly does Armaldo do on big teams? Despite being an S rank, it doesn't have an analysis, nor does it have one in gen 6, and there is no analysis currently being written for it in the analysis forum. So, what's up with that?

What exactly does Armaldo do on big teams? Despite being an S rank, it doesn't have an analysis, nor does it have one in gen 6, and there is no analysis currently being written for it in the analysis forum. So, what's up with that?
Analyses are a volunteer work. If no one wants to write an analysis for Armaldo, we aren't going to compel people to do so.

Anyway, Armaldo is S rank because it is the best spinner for Bug teams. Both it and Forretress carry Stealth Rock and Rapid Spin, two critical utility moves. Unlike Forretress, though, it has decent offensive presence with Stone Edge hitting hard on most Defoggers and has great utility in Knock Off. It also has a neutrality to Fire, meaning it is capable of being EVed to always survive one V-create from Choice Scarf Victini even after Stealth Rock damage. On a type that is weak to Stealth Rock, it is perhaps one of the most essential Pokemon to Bug's viability. While the Viability Rankings have been slowly moving away from low-impact but necessary Pokemon populating S ranks, Armaldo is the key to making Bug a good type.

What is the purpose of having bulky raptor on normal when u could have scarf for speed control? Although defogging won't be an option it could provide another way to deal out damage.

What is the purpose of having bulky raptor on normal when u could have scarf for speed control? Although defogging won't be an option it could provide another way to deal out damage.
Bulky raptor gives you a switch in to threatening pokemon such as Tapu Bulu, meaning you don't have to sack somethign every time they switch in. It also allows you to reliably defog, giving some counterplay to toxic spikes or other hazard stack, and is much more long lasting on the balance teams normal usually employs.

DoW

formally Death on Wings
Idk if this is "simple" but what is gxe, glicko-1 and elo???
I belive this thread has the answers to those questions. Fair warning: there's quite a bit of maths if you wanna actually understand them.

Edit: to give a simpler-to-understand response, in effect your Glicko-1 is how good the server thinks you are at pokemon (within a range), your Elo is similar, but it's written so that it's better for matching you up on the ladder, and your GXE is equivalent to what percentage of games you'd win if you were matched up against random players (rather than those close to your Elo, as is the case on the ladder)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)