Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do I need to ask permission from a contributor to the tier or from a council member before opening a "Pokemon-X Discussion" on the NU Forum? Besides following the basic structure and grammar procedures, is there anything else I need to do or confirm? The Forum Rules said I don't need permission, yet I was reading a comment on one of the Onyx in NU discussion and a contributor said I had to? I don't know, please specify just in case :)

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Do I need to ask permission from a contributor to the tier or from a council member before opening a "Pokemon-X Discussion" on the NU Forum? Besides following the basic structure and grammar procedures, is there anything else I need to do or confirm? The Forum Rules said I don't need permission, yet I was reading a comment on one of the Onyx in NU discussion and a contributor said I had to? I don't know, please specify just in case :)
Nah, go ahead, but do make sure that it has an actual niche in the metagame / just use your common sense. Don't post discussion threads on Metangs and Wormadams and you should me fine.

Does anyone have any idea where a competitive battling noob like myself can get some help with learning about the NU tiers, teambuilding, EV spreads, and whatnot?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Check out the #pokemon and #neverused sticky in this forum. It has links to the IRC channels, and people on either channel will be able to help you.

What are the odds of Cryogonal being bumped up to RU at the end of this round going by the April usage stats?

What are the odds of Cryogonal being bumped up to RU at the end of this round going by the April usage stats?
It's too hard to tell at the moment. The first month's stats have very little weight compared to the last two. Cryogonal has been increasing in popularity in RU, though, so it's not very unlikely that Cryogonal will move up.

Hi i'm new here, i read on one of the threads that kingler running sheerforce and superpower is illegal, where can I find the list of rules on things like this, such as abilities, moves and items etc???
Thank you

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi i'm new here, i read on one of the threads that kingler running sheerforce and superpower is illegal, where can I find the list of rules on things like this, such as abilities, moves and items etc???
Thank you
They are not 'illegal' as in it's not allowed by a rule, but that it's physically impossible to get a superpower + sheer force kingler in-game. (Superpower comes from a gen-4 tutor, but Sheer Force is Gen-5 only.) If you're playing wi-fi, then you can't get it unless you hack, so that'll be no problem. If you're playing on a simulator, then it will tell you that those moves aren't compatible, so that'll also be no problem.

As a general rule of thumb, tutor moves, event moves, and breeding moves are the ones that cause the most move compatibility issues.

Otherwise, the full ruleset can be found here.

I wouldnt call Charizard bulky. The others are pretty good examples. Also, Gardevoir has good Special bulk, Eviolite Gurdurr is one of the most prominent fighting types due to its combination of bulk and power after a Bulk Up or two, and (while not common) Eviolite DD Shelgon has great physical bulk and ability to set up multiple times.

Two bulky offense pokemon that I would heartily recommend (if they weren't so easily walled by Tangela/Torterra) are Regirock and Relicanth. Both can run pretty nasty Rock Polish sets, where Relicanth has the advantage of Head Smash/Waterfall and better speed than the other speed boosters of the tier, while Regirock has insane uninvested bulk and Drain Punch to recover health to supplement its sweep. Both can run Life Orb Polish sets and sweep clean through weakened teams, as Relicanth outspeeds Rotom-S and slower and Regirock can survive scarfed close combat and recover health with Drain Punch.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Is Cryogonal a so good defensive pokémon? Sure, it has reliabe recovery, Rapid Spin and an amazing Special Defense, but has a pathetic physical Defense and is Ice-type (the worst defensive type), also it has weakness to Stealth Rock.

Is Cryogonal a so good defensive pokémon? Sure, it has reliabe recovery, Rapid Spin and an amazing Special Defense, but has a pathetic physical Defense and is Ice-type (the worst defensive type), also it has weakness to Stealth Rock.

Cryogonal can be used a special wall of sorts in NU. It should avoid physical attacks like the plague but its amazing special defense, a long with reliable recovery and haze allows it to stop most special attackers in their tracks. the offensive set with LO is also really good

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Cryogonal is quite decent as a special wall. Ice is usualy a horrible defensive typing but special rock fighting and steel attacks are quite rare and often weak and unstabbed which leaves only fire as a real weakness. However this leaves you weak to magmortar which means you might have to run a second special wall. (hp ground might be able to kill after SR and with investment in Sp.A but you still don't have a reliable switch-in)

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Access to Haze also makes it a pretty good niche counter to Calm Mind users like Musharna that don't run Psyshock, as well as being able to take on Gorebyss 1v1.

Dark Fallen Angel

FIDDLESTICKS IS ALSO GOOD ON MID!
Thanks! I never understood why Cryogonal was considered a good special wall, even in NU. I always hear, "Ice is a bad defensive type", I never thought that even with good defensive stats, a pure Ice-type could ever be used as a wall.

Well, it depends on how it is used and with team matchup. I faced one once that was quite annoying, and i used it to some success in the early stages of NU.

Also, 100th post, so now all your base are belong to me.

Had someone on the battle finder tell me Rain dance+SS is banned in NU, but I've never seen this anywhere

can someone confirm/deny this?

marilli

With you
Had someone on the battle finder tell me Rain dance+SS is banned in NU, but I've never seen this anywhere

can someone confirm/deny this?
Rain Dance + Swift Swim isn't banned anywhere. Most likely, your Rain Dance team had Gorebyss and Huntail, and while Rain Dance + Swift Swim isn't banned on Smogon server, Shell Smash + Baton Pass is. (Blame the RU people)

I can't tell whether you mean Shell Smash or Swift Swim by SS, so I can't be any clearer. But anyways, here are the rules for future reference: http://www.smogon.com/bw/banlist/

That, or you're just on a non-Smogon server that does indeed ban Rain Dance + SS.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
The only one that comes to mind is the Pokemon Online server, but that only has Damp Rock banned in NU as far as I know.

Rain Dance + Swift Swim isn't banned anywhere. Most likely, your Rain Dance team had Gorebyss and Huntail, and while Rain Dance + Swift Swim isn't banned on Smogon server, Shell Smash + Baton Pass is. (Blame the RU people)

I can't tell whether you mean Shell Smash or Swift Swim by SS, so I can't be any clearer. But anyways, here are the rules for future reference: http://www.smogon.com/bw/banlist/

That, or you're just on a non-Smogon server that does indeed ban Rain Dance + SS.
This was the on-site wifi battle finder, and i had neither, it was a swift swim relicanth that outsped his persain because of rain

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Well as long as you manually set rain, you're fine. You can have manual rain teams in NU and Sun teams as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)