Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - NU Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought id add that protect also messes this strategy up. When i used project against it, copycat failed which ended the chain of roars.
It should be noted that the pokemon with protect pretty much needs to be able to OHKO riolu afterwards or else it will just roar again and the chain continues until you get whirlwinded back into the protect-mon

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Linoone has Extremespeed.

Also, the regen core is a really aggrevating thorn for this strategy, because unless you set up fully and also set up Riolu (which is really hard if the opponent has half a brain) they recover health upon switching out. And Alomomola has Protect. Alomomola can't OHKO Riolu, but it can burn it or something.

^ Pikachu & Raichu also get extremespeed as a event move.

But sadly being an event move, you can't combine it with stuff like it's lightning rod ability, Nasty Plot, Volt tackle and many more things.

Ok, so I have a quick question.

I've recently got back into NU after quite a few months away. Back when I used to play, one threat you always had to consider was Gorebyss. For that reason, I've always included a Scarf Rotom-S/F in my team to deal with it.

However, now, looking at the June 2012 Usage Stastics, it doesn't even make the Top 30 in either. That's reflected in what I've seen while laddering too.

So, I feel like I'm missing something, what happened? Was it the Ninjas? 0.o

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Gorebyss is still a strong threat. Perhaps one factor is that a lot of teams recently try to hit as hard as possible, giving Gorebyss little window to set up. Scarf Electrics are still common (not as common as back then, but still) enough, and maybe people feel setting up Gorebyss is too hard and does not yield too much result. Also, you see a lot of priority everywhere. You'll see at least one in a good offensive team. If you want to guard yourself against that, you need White Herb. And those White Herb variants lack the sheer destructive power of Life Orb.

And Ludicolo dropping didn't help, either. Now it has to decide between getting walled by either Ludicolo or other Water-types (like Samurott, etc). And because NU is such a large tier with so many viable mons, once you drop off the limelight nobody seems to care because there's like 30 other sets you wanted to try.

Gorebyss is still strong as hell, though. I urge you to use it more and promote its usage!

I'm a new NU player, and I want to know some really good cores in the NU metagame. I saw a question like this before, but I wanted more. I wish to build some teams, with some cores.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
I'm a new NU player, and I want to know some really good cores in the NU metagame. I saw a question like this before, but I wanted more. I wish to build some teams, with some cores.
Fire / Water / Grass cores are great to start with since they are decent defensively and tend to hit hard as well. Psychic / Dark / Fighting cores are generally offensive but are very effective since they beat each others' counters. Generally, any physical wall works pretty well with special walls in the tier, such as Probopass + Amoonguss or Lickilicky + Musharna. Some core work for certain players and fail for others; it's a matter of testing various Pokemon out and seeing what works for you.

I've been running Golbat, Serperior, and Audino as a core. The three give each other pretty good coverage, and anything unresisted is usually sponged by Audino. While they aren't exactly 'counters' to speak, a great diversity in support movepools makes them very good for forcing switches and stopping almost any setup attempt.

If Crustle dropped, how popular do you think it would be?
If Crustle did drop I think it would be pretty popular, since it has the combination of Stealth Rock and Spikes. Seeing as it also has the ability to turn into a sweeper at a moments notice with Shell Smash it would be a Pokemon that could threaten the meta in many ways. But Steath Rock + Spikes is a combination NU players have been longing for, which would make Crustle good

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Having a useful Spikes user not named Garbodor or Cacturne would be excellent. I'd use it on almost every offensive team I'd build.

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
If Crustle dropped, how popular do you think it would be?
Spikes teams would be more easier to make, and be more bulky. Also, Bulky-waters would then increase to combat Crusty...and the chain-reaction begins :p

With Custpa Berry Released a turn 1 Crustle will nearly always get Stealth Rock + Spikes down unless you Taunt, Mold Breaker KO or multi-hit KO. Encoring Stealth Rock would work too I guess. Crustle will be insanely popular as it will be able to get hazards down far more reliably than Garbodor or Cacturne who often have to preform other roles like using Sucker Punch or Seed Bomb to KO/Weaken some threat.

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
With Custpa Berry Released a turn 1 Crustle will nearly always get Stealth Rock + Spikes down unless you Taunt, Mold Breaker KO or multi-hit KO. Encoring Stealth Rock would work too I guess. Crustle will be insanely popular as it will be able to get hazards down far more reliably than Garbodor or Cacturne who often have to preform other roles like using Sucker Punch or Seed Bomb to KO/Weaken some threat.
I don't think it would be Custap Berry, because it raises evasiveness? Berries

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
Serebii is wrong. Custap Berry lets you move first within your speed bracket (so you won't go before priority moves, but before something with higher speed) when your health reaches 25% or below. This applies to your next move only, though.

Description

Changes the Attack and Special Attack stats of both the user and the target to the average of their individual stats. The effect on each lasts until they faint or switch out.

Competitive Use

Power Split could be used to set up a mixed attacker without using a nature that lowers Defense, Special Defense, or Speed, or to lower the power of a target with very unbalanced attacking stats. The setup turn kills this move's viability almost entirely, though. It's also incredibly situational...
I think you might be mistaking Power Split for Power Trick. Power Trick will switch Shuckle's Defense stat with its Attack stat. I assume this because Power Trick Shuckle has been one of the more popular gimmick sets ever created, and I'm also not understanding the point of Power Split Shuckle. If you meant Power Trick, then you'd want to be running maximum Defense, as it will eventually be your Attack stat.

Shuckle is gimmicky as hell though, and you'd be better off using Pokemon that can actually do something.

Shuckle with Power Split; would it be more effective if I had 0 IVs in ATK and SP.ATK or should I max them?
I suppose it somewhat depends on whether you want to use Power Split mainly to hurt your opponent or to actually make an attempt at doing damage, but I would argue using 0 IVs is probably the more effective strategy. That's because, even with max investment, Shuckle would need to use the move on something with max investment base 164.5 in an attacking stat in order to reach 300 atk. Plus, if you went that route, you'd compromise Shuckle's defenses, the entire reason for using it. On the other hand, if you go the 0 IVs route, you can have 22/25 offenses, meaning you'll drop anything with less than base 121 in an offensive stat under 200 after Power Split.

Either way is gimmicky though, but I suppose Shuckle's designed to function as a gimmick.

Looking at Dunsparce, it seems like that with zero speed investment it is still outsped by a lot of things even when they are paralyzed. What's the deal with that?

Yonko7

is a Contributor Alumnus
When paralyzed, many Pokemon are as slow as a slug, because paralysis cuts the speed stat in half- I think. So Dunsparce should be able to outspeed and flinch with headbutt or rock slide.

Edit: I think I might've read that wrong, but even if some Pokemon are paralyzed, if their speed stat is really high, ie: ninjask, electrode, then they'll outspend anyway.

Paralysis actually reduces a Pokemon's speed by 75%, so unless you have 20 Base Speed or less, chances are you are going to outspeed the paralyzed opponent.

Paralysis causes a pokemon's Speed to be reduced to 25%. Since uninvested Dunsparce reaches a Speed of 126, any pokemon that has a Speed higher than 404 will outspeed Dunsparce such as base 90 and above scarfers.

Well, there was my problem! Like Yonko, I thought it was cut in half. Now, reduced to 25%... That definitely works! Thanks for clearing that up y'all.

Are there any good, FAST, special attackers in the tier? All the ones I find that are worth noting are Kadabra and Haunter, both of which are extremely frail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)