Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Thats what I kinda figured, I saw whirlwind and that tasty special defense stat and thought there was potential
Most Grumpig run Psychic / Heal Bell / Toxic / Taunt or Whirlwind, and find their niche as a cool fire resist on stall teams, and pair well with common staples such as Audino and Steelix!

Most Grumpig run Psychic / Heal Bell / Toxic / Taunt or Whirlwind, and find their niche as a cool fire resist on stall teams, and pair well with common staples such as Audino and Steelix!
Awesome, I'm excited to try the little piggy out/breed it.

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
Tbh, taunt Sawk (E belt or LO) or non locked Sawk is a better stall breaker, because most stall teams carry at least 1 protecter to scout what move you will lock yourself into, after a bluffed lock, a taunt sawk can get a nice KO ;)

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tbh, taunt Sawk (E belt or LO) or non locked Sawk is a better stall breaker, because most stall teams carry at least 1 protecter to scout what move you will lock yourself into, after a bluffed lock, a taunt sawk can get a nice KO ;)
Or even black belt works too for an increase in power of CC.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Is it more efficient to go with 252 / 252 spreads or more complicated ones?
For example, I was considering using just enough spdef on seismitoad to avoid the 2hko from specs typhlosions eruption after rocks to have some more physical bulk, but I generally just go with max in one defense.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
That totally depends on the situation. If you invest in seismitoad's SpDef to avoid the 2HKO, how much do you need to take away from your defensive EVs? What does your team call on Seismitoad to check? If you are taking too much physical damage to the point that an another critical 3hko becomes a 2HKO, then I guess you need to think about whether the 3HKO from Typhlosion or 3HKO from [whatever else] is more important. If you have a secondary check to the other thing that you now get 2HKOed by, but your team otherwise gets wrecked by typhlosion, then you should still do it.

If you have something specific in mind, and your spread fulfills your specific needs, then use that. If you're lazy you rarely go wrong with 252/252 spreads, but if your spread makes him take attacks that your team needs him to take, then what else is there to think about?

Just picked up the pumpkaboo-super from the distribution event. It has a relaxed nature. I know impish is ideal, but relaxed ain't bad, right? I figure it doesn't really need its speed anyway. I don't really want to have to keep SRing.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just picked up the pumpkaboo-super from the distribution event. It has a relaxed nature. I know impish is ideal, but relaxed ain't bad, right? I figure it doesn't really need its speed anyway. I don't really want to have to keep SRing.
For Wi-Fi purposes, you're probably fine with Relaxed. Gourgeist-Super doesn't outspeed much anyways, and its huge bulk means you can afford to be slower than most stuff. Obviously use Impish instead if you ever play on the sim.

which pokes are currently being used as a good anti-lead?
If I have to suggest you a good anti-lead, my first choice is surely Xatu. Magic Guard prevents hazards setter, also in midgame.Good movepool, with calm mind useful to boost SAtk and SDef.

Another way you can walk, could be to use a prankster taunt mon as Liepard.

Last edited:

Deej Dy

Don't forget taunt qwilfish, which can taunt and set its own multiple layers of hazards, explode/destiny bond. Make sure to give at least 8 speed EVs though, to outspeed max speed Jolly Crustle.

Offensive Seismitoad and Torterra are also SR setters that can beat / force out a lot of other common leads.

Sash Jynx is a really cool anti-lead too.

Deej Dy

I would also like to clarify that Max def Xatu isn't really an anti-lead, you should almost never lead with it (unless scarf/U-Turn Mindgames) as most rockers Crustle/Rhydon/Golurk/Rampardos/Seismatoad (barring Giga drain), beat it one on one. The idea is to bait them for stealth rocks and switch in to reverse them, which requires a good deal of prediction rather than a simple taunt, as a Crustle can easily anticipate an obvious switch to Xatu and Knock off/Rock blast it to death, faster than it can fight back and roost off damage.
I typically use Xatu for more of a midgame mon for switching in on harmless hazard setters such as Ferroseed (gyro ball does like 27%) and Max def Sandslash (Knock off does around 40%).
I'm not saying Xatu is overrated or is terrible at blocking hazards, I'm simply saying I don't believe it to be a good "Anti lead" when there are mons that can taunt and take hits along with it. Plus it is a lot more difficult predicting when they will use stealth rock over Stone edge, then simply clicking taunt/lovely kiss.
Don't get me wrong though, Xatu is fun with the mind games and I use it on 80% of my teams ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)