Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If for some reason I wanted to use it in UU, I'd have to take advatage of what other Grass/Poison mons lack, like Aromatherapy, correct?

Also, now that Sceptile has a viable mega in OU, is it now OU? Am I unable to use the base for in NU like Mawile?
No, just don't use vileplume in any tier but NU. Once ORAS is released, yes the base form of sceptile will be moved out of NU due to its mega rising to the higher tiers.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
If for some reason I wanted to use it in UU, I'd have to take advatage of what other Grass/Poison mons lack, like Aromatherapy, correct?

Also, now that Sceptile has a viable mega in OU, is it now OU? Am I unable to use the base for in NU like Mawile?
For the first few months both Sceptile and Mega Sceptile will be available in NU. If Sceptile gains enough usage in an upper tier, both the base and the mega will rise. If the NU council decides that Mega Sceptile is too much for NU and bans it, the base form will still be usable, at least until it gets enough usage to rise.

You should ask about Vileplume in another tier in another subforum's simple question thread (UU for example); they would be able to answer better than most of us.

My question is, how long do you guys who are familiar with the process think it'll take for NU to get somewhat "back to normal"? As it stands now, it looks like the Mega Evolution and Move Tutor additions from ORAS have made a number of Pokemon much better than what I would commonly think of as being NU, and I like NU a lot but don't want to play a tier with so many openly broken things in it (NU had broken things before, but it's obviously a lot worse now). So outside of things rising due to usage, do you think any bans or suspect tests are likely to happen soon, or any other removal that I'm not aware of?

Afaik OU leader Aldaron asked to Antar to generate usage stats for the period beetween Nov 22-Dec 22. This will most likely remove any Mega Evolution from NU(idk maybe Audino and Pidgeot will stay lel), along stuff like Slurpuff, Pangoro and Dragalge. Ofc the Nu council can decide to quickban stuff before this date.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Afaik OU leader Aldaron asked to Antar to generate usage stats for the period beetween Nov 22-Dec 22. This will most likely remove any Mega Evolution from NU(idk maybe Audino and Pidgeot will stay lel), along stuff like Slurpuff, Pangoro and Dragalge. Ofc the Nu council can decide to quickban stuff before this date.
I highly highly doubt anything outside of Lopunny, Altaria, and maybe Beedrill will rise via usage. Dragalge might be stolen by RU at a later date, but even if it does go, it'll probably just sneak in with like 4% usage. The new megas / new movesets just aren't that good in higher tiers, and even if they were, all the higher tiers have new toys to play with too and are too busy trying those out.
Most of the pokemon that will leave NU will likely be due to suspect testing; which Zeb said will start around the 30th. Hope this helped :]

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
So is Pikachu viable now? :(
edit at below: BoltBeam coverage with Icicle Crash sounds decent

Last edited:
Not in the slightest saying that Pikachu will ever be viable, although a physical set with Volt Tackle / Icicle Crash / ESpeed / Brick Break could be very interesting with really good 3 move coverage and a pretty powerful ESpeed, and with Light Ball and a solid speed stat it can put in surprising work against stuff should it actually be alive more than one turn, idk seems decent since its Volt Tackle is literally the strongest Physical electric move in NU..although that really isn't an impressive feat.

TL;DR It'll be a funmon, but in no means viable, at most rising from E to D- lol

Lied it doesnt get ESpeed w/ Icicle Crash i say ban it for being terribad

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Yea, the problem with Pikachu is that even though it gets a plethora of viable moves, it's acquired them across like 4 generations of various events. You're lucky to find any two non-TM/level-up moves to be compatible with eachother. For example, Nasty Plot with Surf would be kinda cool, but it's illegal. E-speed + Icicle Crash + Volt Tackle would be really cool - except it can only choose 1 of the 3.

tl;dr, Nintendo created a 900 trick pony - but it can only remember one trick at a time.

what is the best set for Samurott right now? he seem outclass by Feraligatr (dance and priority) on the physical side and Ludicolo on the special side(grass, ice, water coverage) .

what make him staying at Rank A in NU?

is there any mixed attacker set for him which will make him unique?

he is one of my favorite poke, i want to breed one for myself. just wanna see the viable sets of him and see which fit me the best!

thanks!

(is the gimmack rash sword dance, waterfall, aqau jet, ice bean set work? if yes, what is the best ev spread for it?)

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
what is the best set for Samurott right now? he seem outclass by Feraligatr (dance and priority) on the physical side and Ludicolo on the special side(grass, ice, water coverage) .

what make him staying at Rank A in NU?

is there any mixed attacker set for him which will make him unique?

he is one of my favorite poke, i want to breed one for myself. just wanna see the viable sets of him and see which fit me the best!

thanks!
Samurott is a really good mon because of its special wall-breaking capabilities. Ludicolo does not outclass Samu, as he has almost 20 more base Sp. Atk on him, an arguably better defensive typing, and a more diverse movepool. Samu having access to moves like Aqua Jet, Taunt, Knock Off, etc let it beat a lot of common answers and can even run HP Fire which is otherwise not considered viable on ludi

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

This is a really good set. You can also run Aqua Jet over Taunt or Grass Knot depending on what you want to beat.

Samurott is a really good mon because of its special wall-breaking capabilities. Ludicolo does not outclass Samu, as he has almost 20 more base Sp. Atk on him, an arguably better defensive typing, and a more diverse movepool. Samu having access to moves like Aqua Jet, Taunt, Knock Off, etc let it beat a lot of common answers and can even run HP Fire which is otherwise not considered viable on ludi

Samurott @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Grass Knot
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Taunt

This is a really good set. You can also run Aqua Jet over Taunt or Grass Knot depending on what you want to beat.
but seem like Simipour can do this kind of job too isn't it?

Last edited:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
but seem like Simipour can do this kind of job too isn't it?
Samurott's niche over Simi in this case is not only the superior bulk, but also the ability to hit MUCH harder without having to waste a turn setting up first. Taunt also stops stuff like Audino from recovering back up, and you can even prevent Lead Crustle from stacking entry-hazards.

Samurott's niche over Simi in this case is not only the superior bulk, but also the ability to hit MUCH harder without having to waste a turn setting up first. Taunt also stops stuff like Audino from recovering back up, and you can even prevent Lead Crustle from stacking entry-hazards.
then is there any viable mixed attack set that worth to be staying at rank A?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
then is there any viable mixed attack set that worth to be staying at rank A?
You can also run Superpower for bulky Normal-types, Megahorn for bulky Psychic-types, Knock Off for eviolite users, or even Aqua Jet for priority.
Samu is one of those pokemon that has a ton of options, you just need to pick one. You literally can't go wrong as they're all pretty great.

Why does the "NU Tiering Info" thread say:
NU will use a system nearly identical to the OU tiering system.
when it's a council voting and deciding what gets banned (after arguments are made in thread) rather than suspect laddering? Is there something I'm missing about how NU is tiered?

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
What's going on now in NU are potential quickbans, similar to what's currently going on with Mega Salamence in OU. After the quickbans are done, we will return to a more traditional laddering and suspect voting.

After seeign Granbull go drom B ranking( where he belongs)to a C ranking...I dont know why people think is overshadowed by other fairy tipes especially in this tier. He can run a very good CB set or support set with strong physical attacks that can get rid of enmy pokemon or tank hits and counter with strong ones of its own..DO anyone else agree with me?? I think he should be B ranking and i hope some people bring back this topic!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
After seeign Granbull go drom B ranking( where he belongs)to a C ranking...I dont know why people think is overshadowed by other fairy tipes especially in this tier. He can run a very good CB set or support set with strong physical attacks that can get rid of enmy pokemon or tank hits and counter with strong ones of its own..DO anyone else agree with me?? I think he should be B ranking and i hope some people bring back this topic!
I'm quoting Hollywood for his reasoning to the Granbull drop.

"This is the major controversial change. People saw Granbull leave B and flipped out, and I'm really not sure why. Granbull is frankly a pretty mediocre Pokemon. Its bulk is pretty good, especially with Intimidate, and its typing is really nice in NU. But that's about all it has going for it. Even with very few Fairy-types in NU, Granbull still faces competition with others because of its mediocre support capabilities. Slurpuff has an immunity to sleep and reliable recovery that can be passed to teammates in addition to Aromatherapy, which makes it pretty much eclipse Granbull as a support Pokemon. Togetic doesn't like Knock Off, but aside from that, it's pretty much entirely superior to Granbull. Like Granbull, Togetic has Thunder Wave and Heal Bell, and unlike Granbull, it also has reliable recovery, Defog, and NastyPass. Between its competition with other defensive Fairy-types and its reliance on support in order to be really effective, Granbull just isn't a very good option in the XY metagame. It's still a fine Pokemon, which is why it's still in C+. But it's not as good as anything in B rank would imply."

That pretty much sums it up in my opinion.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
What is a good Dragalge substitute?
You can't really find something in NU with such a great offensive and defensive typing as well as incredible power. If you're looking for a special wallbreaker in the general sense, specs beheeyem with analytic is a good choice. Same goes for other strong special attackers such as typhlosion, pyroar, mesprit, mismagius, and samurott that all have significant qualities going for them, but none meet the standard of dragalge to the point of 0 switch ins.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)