Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Alright, so ORAS brought us the first Megas in the tier, Steelix, Camerupt, and (at a much lower level) Audino. Then, five Pokemon dropped from RU. Then, Feraligatr got Sheer Force. My question is: is NU ever going to go back to how it used to be? Or is the power creep just here to stay until Gen 7?

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so ORAS brought us the first Megas in the tier, Steelix, Camerupt, and (at a much lower level) Audino. Then, five Pokemon dropped from RU. Then, Feraligatr got Sheer Force. My question is: is NU ever going to go back to how it used to be? Or is the power creep just here to stay until Gen 7?
The best thing about metagames is that they're constantly changing. It will likely never go back to the way it used to be. It's a new game, it's a different tier. Love it. Loooooove it.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hm, this really isn't a simple question but I'll try my best.
First off, mega steelix and Heliolisk are most likely getting banned based off of the opinions of the qualified voters posted in the np thread. Virizion will most likely move up to RU in the next tier shift due to the fact that it got significantly better with 2 out of the 3 pokemon leaving from the last ban, and it will get even better if Moltres leaves. Lastly, feraligatr has a decent shot of moving up. And as stated above, changing metagames are what make the tier interesting.

Hm, this really isn't a simple question but I'll try my best.
First off, mega steelix and Heliolisk are most likely getting banned based off of the opinions of the qualified voters posted in the np thread. Virizion will most likely move up to RU in the next tier shift due to the fact that it got significantly better with 2 out of the 3 pokemon leaving from the last ban, and it will get even better if Moltres leaves. Lastly, feraligatr has a decent shot of moving up. And as stated above, changing metagames are what make the tier interesting.
Yeah, I like change too, but I'd rather it be change like powerful things going away in some form rather than coming in. By the way, what does np stand for? Tried Google and couldn't find anything but pages and pages of Smogon hate.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I like change too, but I'd rather it be change like powerful things going away in some form rather than coming in. By the way, what does np stand for? Tried Google and couldn't find anything but pages and pages of Smogon hate.
Now playing - basically what's going on in the tier, also we usually have a song in the OP to reflect that.

Should Xatu be running physically or specially defensive? The strategy dex says specially, but that's for UU and I wasn't sure which is better in NU

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Should Xatu be running physically or specially defensive? The strategy dex says specially, but that's for UU and I wasn't sure which is better in NU
Physically defensive is what it should be running in order to check fighting types like hariyama, gurdurr, and sawk, and it doesnt have many resistances to specially based attacking types to warrant using a specially defensive spread. While it does resist Psychic, its generally setup fodder for most other psychic types like uxie and musharna.

As far as speed creep goes on Xatu, it's usually best to run 56 speed evs for nuetral-natured base 70's (240 speed stat) or run 176 evs if your team is really Sawk weak (270 speed stat).

Deej Dy

Verified Ladder Scurb 乁( ◔ ౪◔)ㄏ
As far as speed creep goes on Xatu, it's usually best to run 56 speed evs for nuetral-natured base 70's (240 speed stat) or run 176 evs if your team is really Sawk weak (270 speed stat).
Davon is right 240 speed is optimal to outspeed max base 70 modest/adamant, like samurott for example

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
If you're using a defensive & slowish team, outspeeding Sawk is a good idea so that it doesn't push your face in. If you're using an offensive and frail team, optimizing Defense is better so that Xatu can switch into bulkier attackers like Hariyama that your team members dislike taking a hit from.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Whenever the council agrees on that its broken
Its not really wether or not the council deems something broken. Its wether the council deems something suspect worthy. The suspect test is for determining wether or not something is broken. Suspect =/= Ban ; even though it seems like that happens the majority of the time.

In this case however, it is up to the tier leaders on wether or not they want a quick ban for Feraligatr or another suspect test like the Mega Steelix / Heliolisk one.

Never participated in one of these threads before but I have two questions I would like answered.

-When is Feraligatr getting banned from NU or when are the council guys going to look at it? I am honestly surprised it wasn't quick banned, I want to play the new metagame with the new drops and rises but I have been waiting for Feraligatr to leave before doing so.

-What is a good moveset/stat spread for Togetic? Been wanting to use Togetic now that Mega lix is gone.

Never participated in one of these threads before but I have two questions I would like answered.

-When is Feraligatr getting banned from NU or when are the council guys going to look at it? I am honestly surprised it wasn't quick banned, I want to play the new metagame with the new drops and rises but I have been waiting for Feraligatr to leave before doing so.

-What is a good moveset/stat spread for Togetic? Been wanting to use Togetic now that Mega lix is gone.
On gatr : http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...heliolisk-banned.3528871/page-15#post-6084704

There are two possible options for Togetic. One is nasty plot pass and other one is defog set. Have a look at the ongoing analysis: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/togetic-qc-2-3-written.3527215/

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What's a Good Claydol Set ?
yeah, the set Pokedots gave you is probably a good one. however if your team needs stealth rock I often forgo both stab moves on claydol to run it.

maybe try somethign like this:

Claydol @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 104 Def / 164 SpA
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Ball / Ice Beam / Earth Power
- Psyshock / Signal Beam / Grass Knot

I have been having a huge problem dealing with Mega Audino. Is anyone else having this problem? I figure I will eventually find a way around it, but I would like to know what (if anything) can 2HKO Mega Audino without a boosting Item or by setting up?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have been having a huge problem dealing with Mega Audino. Is anyone else having this problem? I figure I will eventually find a way around it, but I would like to know what (if anything) can 2HKO Mega Audino without a boosting Item or by setting up?
Poison- and Steel-type Pokemon are your best bet, I'd reccomend things like Garbodor and Mawile that can fit on a variety of teams.

I don't play NU much but the best hope for you to beat it is to keep up offensive pressure on it. Also boosting sweepers like SD sweepers can fair decently against it as they can boost faster then it can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)