Resource Ask a simple question, get a simple answer: NU Edition

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
What makes Shiftry better than Cacturne? I understand the speed and Knock Off is nice, but Cacturne hits harder and has a Water immunity, and I don't think Defog is that huge of a move on Shiftry.
It should also be noted that Shiftry actually hits harder than Cacturne on both the physical and special side, can with its mixed set alone.

252+ Atk Life Orb Cacturne Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Spinda: 259-305 (99.2 - 116.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Spinda: 286-337 (109.5 - 129.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Cacturne Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Spinda: 242-286 (92.7 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Life Orb Shiftry Leaf Storm vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Spinda: 253-298 (96.9 - 114.1%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO

It's pretty clear that Cacturne is nowhere near as efficient as Shiftry at dishing out damage, especially considering Shiftry's better Speed tier; all Cacturne really has over Shiftry offensively is a stronger Sucker Punch, but Shiftry's Sucker Punch is still the second strongest priority in the whole tier (252+ Atk Life Orb Shiftry Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Spinda: 235-278 (90 - 106.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO). Cacturne does offer some defensive niches over Shiftry in the form of Water Absorb and Spikes, as well as some disruptive moves such as Destiny Bond and Spiky Shield, but Shiftry still has its own bad of tricks in the form of Defog, Early Bird (to tango with Jynx) / Chlorophyll (to fit on / combat the increasingly popular Sun teams), and even Explosion.

Cacturne is by no means bad, but Shiftry has overall more to offer.

So Combusken is becoming quite popular and I'm just wondering what the best set to run is. I would guess dual stab/protect/baton pass with a life orb because evio would be too weak, but that's solely me theorymonning.

Yea the most common set is dual special stab, protect, baton pass.
Combusken @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Protect
- Focus Blast
- Baton Pass

It's a very powerful breaker with great coverage, a great ability, two powerful stabs and the ability to pass boosts to teammates, all in all a very good mon.

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
So Combusken is becoming quite popular and I'm just wondering what the best set to run is. I would guess dual stab/protect/baton pass with a life orb because evio would be too weak, but that's solely me theorymonning.
Yeah that's the most popular and best set, with the dual stabs being Fire Blast and Focus Blast (or Flamethrower and HP Fighting if you want to hit >.>). Swords Dance is also viable, and though it can't pass speed like the special set it's actually pretty strong at +2, and since that set runs Eviolite it's a good check to Shiftry and stuff. There's also a dedicated BP set that's BP/Sub/Protect/Will-O-Wisp to pass Speed to stuff like CM Stored Power Xatu and it's pretty dangerous, but obviously nowhere near as splashable as the other two sets

Sorry if there's a better place to ask this - I'm new to competitive battling (as in this is like literally the first Pokemon I plan on truly fully training competitively) and the site.

So I just restarted Pokemon X to try out Nuzlocking for the first time, and I caught a shiny Scatterbug, which is my first non-friend Safari wild Shiny! I don't know its IVs yet because I'm at the beginning of the game so I haven't been able to get it to a stats judge yet, but I'm considering transferring it over to my finished Omega Ruby file to train it. So she's naive, very finicky, and has Compound Eyes.

So basically, my question is: Should I try and train her competitively or just use her in the Nuzlocke? If the former, how should I go about it? I've seen people say that Timid is the best nature, but since Naive boosts speed too I was wondering if she was still viable.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Sorry if there's a better place to ask this - I'm new to competitive battling (as in this is like literally the first Pokemon I plan on truly fully training competitively) and the site.

So I just restarted Pokemon X to try out Nuzlocking for the first time, and I caught a shiny Scatterbug, which is my first non-friend Safari wild Shiny! I don't know its IVs yet because I'm at the beginning of the game so I haven't been able to get it to a stats judge yet, but I'm considering transferring it over to my finished Omega Ruby file to train it. So she's naive, very finicky, and has Compound Eyes.

So basically, my question is: Should I try and train her competitively or just use her in the Nuzlocke? If the former, how should I go about it? I've seen people say that Timid is the best nature, but since Naive boosts speed too I was wondering if she was still viable.
Naive should be fine, you're not exactly looking for stellar defensive stats when training a Vivillon (Scatterbug)

Would someone mind telling me the optimal evs and other moves for a stealth rocking mold breaker Pinsir? I'm assuming it would be some combination of X-scissor, eq, stone edge and close combat for the remaining 3 moves but I'd love to hear someone else's thoughts. Thanks in advance!

Would someone mind telling me the optimal evs and other moves for a stealth rocking mold breaker Pinsir? I'm assuming it would be some combination of X-scissor, eq, stone edge and close combat for the remaining 3 moves but I'd love to hear someone else's thoughts. Thanks in advance!
I'm lifting this set from Quite Quiet's work in progress Pinsir analysis.

Pinsir @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake / Knock Off
- Toxic / Rock Tomb

I believe you understand what the benefits of Stealth Rock Pinsir are already since you asked, but I'll explain anyway: Mold Breaker breaks through Xatu's Magic Bounce, which when coupled with Focus Sash guarantees Stealth Rock every time. X-Scissor is a reliable STAB move that notably beats Rocks Mesprit, Earthquake is there to get a better matchup vs Garbodor and defensive Mawile, while Knock Off cripples bulky Rocks like Regirock or Rhydon. Last slot is for support, Toxic crippling potential setup sweeper switch-ins, while Rock Tomb hits Flying types like Archeops or Swellow and eases prediction vs Pyroar. I would personally also consider Stone Edge in the last slot if you want your Pinsir to have a more offensive presence.
Since we're running Focus Sash, there's no need to invest in bulk, and max speed Jolly allows us to outspeed the aforementioned Mesprit, Adamant Sawk and Samurott.

Be careful around potential Taunt leads, as they're the only thing preventing you from getting Rocks up. Hope I helped!

1: When does NU open start?

2: What is Seismitoeds usage in RU? I would really like to see it drop because its such a nice gluemon to have in NU and makes teambuilding much easier

1: When does NU open start?

2: What is Seismitoeds usage in RU? I would really like to see it drop because its such a nice gluemon to have in NU and makes teambuilding much easier
Unfortunately, it's pretty high
| 24 | Seismitoad | 9.50092% |

Why does it have such a high usage stat in RU? was it since the Jolteons running HP Water for Mega Camel, (which they have gastrodon for) or they just wanted a gastrodon like mon with rocks?

Wouldn't that be stuff you ask in the RU subforum??

Seis is just a really solid mon that can go offensive and defensive and has a good typing for both. Having rocks is a big bonus.

Hello,

I have a question. I was looking the link (http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/nu/), and I saw Miltank is on NU list, so I gotta see his set as a example of her being used, but when I click on Miltank and on her page there's an example of set for RU, even she is located on NU.

So she is NU or RU, how can I be follow correctly the tiers?* I must know because I play only on Nintendo 3ds.

Thanks in advance.

*Edit ( missed the "?")

Orphic

perhaps
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Even though a pokemon is sorted into one tier (in this case Miltank in NU) it can still be used in higher tiers provided it has a niche. The reason you see a set for RU is because Miltank can fill a role there and that is the suggested set.
More basically than this, a pokemon that is NU can be used in its tier and any tier above that, but not below. This would mean pokemon in RU can be used in RU, UU, OU and Ubers, but not NU. So on the pokedex like you are describing Dvdek, the lowest tier the pokemon can be used in is the tier it is actually classified as.

Exceptions include pokemon like Ferroseed and pawniard which can be used in Nu and LC

slam stuff is given here, it's right there so you should've tried to look there before asking lol.

seismitoad has high usage in ru, and you can see that in usage stats.
Please don't patronise people, that's what this thread is for, it was a simple question all it needed was a simple answer.

You do that by putting @ in front of one's name: for example @ Dvdek with no spaces gives Dvdek. I would reccomend checking the FAQ before asking questions like these, as this is not something that belongs in this thread, which deals with NU-specific questions.

You do that by putting @ in front of one's name: for example @ Dvdek with no spaces gives Dvdek. I would reccomend checking the FAQ before asking questions like these, as this is not something that belongs in this thread, which deals with NU-specific questions.
Oh thanks, Im sorry, I just mentioned why I didnt quoted their names as link. Anyways thanks for tell me.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
is there any way to legally obtain a shiftry in gen 6 with leaf blade and sucker punch? sucker punch is a gen 4 tutor move only and leaf blade can only be learned by nuzleaf via oras level up? is there somethign im missign here?

is there any way to legally obtain a shiftry in gen 6 with leaf blade and sucker punch? sucker punch is a gen 4 tutor move only and leaf blade can only be learned by nuzleaf via oras level up? is there somethign im missign here?
The two moves are incompatible and cannot be used on the same set in-game.

I'm not sure how it works on the server but they shouldn't be legal together.

Hey, could I get some good examples of a decent lead in NU ORAS? I'm new to the metagame and I'm building a team, so some help would be appreciated.

Hey, could I get some good examples of a decent lead in NU ORAS? I'm new to the metagame and I'm building a team, so some help would be appreciated.
archeops, mesprit, crustle, rhydon, piloswine, carracosta

that's a good list of hazard mons that can work as reliable leads.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
A common misconception in competitive Pokemon is that you need a designated lead; however, this hasn't really been true since the advent of team preview in generation 5. The more you play, the more you'll find certain members of a team will match up better versus different teams (i.e. Opponent has no Water-type resists and you have a Samurott). I'd suggest taking look at your opponent's team and your team, and see which of your team members has the best matchup versus most of your opponents Pokemon (doing the same from your opponent's perspective can also be a good way to anticipate what they're likely to lead and anticipate it).

Leading correctly is a skill that takes time to hone; however, if your team is hyper-offensive by nature, it may make sense to attempt to set hazards as soon as possible to secure certain KOs on foes. In this case, Archeops and Crustle are two good examples of offensive Pokemon that can reliably set Stealth Rock and Spikes, respectively.

I also think it should be noted that fast U-turn and Volt Switch users often perform good as 'leads' because they can create favorable matchups for a teammate by using their respective moves. I'd also include Sturdy attackers such as Golem and Sawk in this aspect as they are difficult (or in many cases impossible to OHKO) and can often deal huge amounts of damage to their foes.

Hopefully I helped, if you have another question or would like some more explanation feel free to ask!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)