1. Remember to check the Simple Questions/Simple Answers , Suggestions , Bug Reports and Technical Support threads before posting. If you have something that warrants extended discussion then post a thread, but when in doubt, please use an already existing thread
  2. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  3. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask A Simple Question, Get A Simple Answer - Pokemon Showdown! Edition

Discussion in 'Pokémon Showdown!' started by Arcticblast, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitty mulcher

kitty mulcher

Why do I feel like I am having an aneurysm when I miss 3 Zen head butts in a row? Am I being punished for putting a filler move on a scarf terrain? Is it a secret message to me to press the less accurate stone edge button on a weakened Volcarona?
  2. Osiris

Osiris la vie est drôle
    is a Battle Server Moderator

You're probably cursed and/or have really bad luck. :[
  3. TheFriendlyRhino

TheFriendlyRhino

How soon (if ever) are we likely to see an ADV OU mechanics option?
  4. Kingler12345

Kingler12345 COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE STARTS WITH C
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Uh, they are working on it. If gen1 is implemented soon then after that I think gen3 will be implemented
  5. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

I missed 4 dragon tails in a row and got frozen by ice punch in the same battle. Probably a message to use Stone Edge, because all of my Will-o-wisps hit in the same battle.
    kitty mulcher likes this.
  6. Hulavuta

Hulavuta twins are really cool
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a specific reason that when using Pursuit on a switch-out, it doesn't mention that the opponent is trying to switch out? On something like Weavile, that will go first anyway and can often KO whatever it's attacking, it's impossible to know if the opponent switched. I know it's not a huge deal, but it does give you a little information about your opponent, like if you predicted him correctly or not. If I recall correctly, in-game it will give the message that the opponent is trying to switch, and Pokemon Online has this message as well.
  7. Kingler12345

Kingler12345 COOKIE COOKIE COOKIE STARTS WITH C
    is a Contributor to Smogon

Uhh.........I'm pretty sure the switch should go first, then pursuit trap message. So I'm pretty sure itshouldn't be that way. I've noticed this too.
  8. jolteontheslayer

jolteontheslayer

I was locked from talking on pokemon showdown yesterday, just wondering how long that will last.
  9. Osiris

Osiris la vie est drôle

Until the next server restart.
  10. green gadgets

green gadgets

Hey Guys, can I change the size of the battle window?

It's annoying that the Chat Window is bigger then the Battle Window. When I close the Chat, the Inchat in battle is bigger

thanks
  11. Osiris

Osiris la vie est drôle

Did you just answer your own question? o.o
  12. green gadgets

green gadgets

No, because the inchat is bigger not the battle itself...
  13. Fuzzball

Fuzzball

Would it be possible to host a server that has custom fakemon? I know I was able to do so in Shoddy a few years ago.
  14. Zilver0

Zilver0

So im thinking about making a new team on showdown but i need an answer to a question first. If my pokemon have a stat change (like +1atk) snd i use power trick will the stat change get transfered or stay? (Like from +1atk to +1def)
  15. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

Yes, but it requires making your own client and getting your server published by Zarel, if I'm not mistaken.

No. It swaps the Attack and Defense stats, not their boosts.
  16. Zilver0

Zilver0

Ok cool! How about bullet punch and quick attack when using trick room. Does the attack still go first?
  17. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

Moves like those have +1 priority, meaning unless your opponent is slower than you and they use a similar attack or they use an attack with higher priority (Extremespeed, Fake Out, etc.), it will go first.
  18. Fuzzball

Fuzzball

Thank you! What do you mean by getting the server published? I'm not a programmer myself but the programmer for our project can probably set up the client on our website easily. Apparently someone told Kyledove that we could get a server for our fakemon when he allowed PS to use his backgrounds, that's why I'm asking.
  19. blacktrance

blacktrance

This is probably asked all the time, but -
    How quickly do you think Gen 6 will be implemented?
  20. MJB

MJB Sup Peeps
    is a Battle Server Admin Alumnus

2 answers to this, 1) the "we are super pro answer" (faster than mechanics can be found) and 2) the logical answer (how would anyone know when no one knows what needs to be implemented yet...)

both of these are likely true.
  21. Alopex

Alopex

If I wanted to have a custom type chart for a private server, would it just be a matter of changing the values in typechart.js to accomplish that? And change values on moves.js if I wanted to change something about a move?

Lastly, and likely more complex, with abilities.js, is there any function that can be used to make the Run Away ability always let a Pokemon switch out? Ideally, maybe something like

onSwitchOut: function(pokemon) {
    pokemon.trapped = false;
    },

Would that work to nullify the pokemon.trapped = true, or will the onSwitchOut function only execute after a successful switch out, which the trapped = true would prevent? If OnSwitchOut would work, that would be the best, as it prevents a Pokemon with Runaway from nullifying the useful trapped status of a Baton Passed Ingrain and would make it so Runaway will only activate when you would actually need it to activate: when you choose to switch.
    Might need an "if" there somewhere?
    if (pokemon.trapped = true) {
    pokemon.trapped = false);

Otherwise, what about
    onUpdate: function(pokemon) {
    pokemon.trapped = false;
    },

Or maybe OnStart , then add lines to make trapping moves fail after that? Something like this maybe?
    onAnyTryMove: function(target, source, effect) {
    if (effect.id === 'meanlook' || effect.id === 'block' || effect.id === 'spiderweb') {
    this.attrLastMove('[still]');
    this.add('-activate', this.effectData.target, 'ability: runaway');
    return false;

Sorry, hope I'm not offending you with my very limited knowledge of code, and hope this is the right place to post this sort of question. :S Thank you!
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  22. Pikachuun

Pikachuun

That's right.

Borrow some of shed shell's code.
  23. Sam craven

Sam craven

How long is it supposed to take to get matched up for a battle? I've been waiting three hours, just not sure if my computer is glitching or if im just doing something wrong
  24. Subject 18

Subject 18 ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderator

It shouldn't take anymore then a few seconds to find a battle. If you are trying to find a battle on a ladder that isn't very active it will take a while. What type of match are you trying to find?
  25. Sam craven

Sam craven

Standard OU, which is what makes me think it must be my computer
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)