Ask a simple question - get a simple answer: PU edition

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What happened to Pawniard? I haven't seen him for quite some time
The hype for the NU drops is probably just finally gone. Another possible explanation is that the ban of Kecleon made the hazard stack teams they were usually part of less popular. Anyway, I haven't really noticed its lower usage tbh.

For Tauros, is Body Slam a viable alternative to Rock Climb? You'd effectively be sacrificing a little power for accuracy.

Why are Gourgeist-L and Gourgeist normal still ranked even when totally outclassed by their two other forms? I remember the reasoning behind this being, 'They are outclassed, but are still usable.' and that begs the question. Isn't most of E-Rank Pokemon still usable? Seaking for example, can be used as a hard hitting Water type immune to Electric, and Emolga can be used for a fast Electric type that has a permanent immunity to Ground. And looking at the definition of a D-Rank Pokemon, it seems a lot of E-Rank Pokemon can fit into that category, like Regigigas being used over Vigoroth as it isn't as hurt as it by Knock Off and becomes really scary during stall wars, or Slaking used over any other hard hitting Normal type if your team has things for set-up sweepers.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Why are Gourgeist-L and Gourgeist normal still ranked even when totally outclassed by their two other forms? I remember the reasoning behind this being, 'They are outclassed, but are still usable.' and that begs the question. Isn't most of E-Rank Pokemon still usable? Seaking for example, can be used as a hard hitting Water type immune to Electric, and Emolga can be used for a fast Electric type that has a permanent immunity to Ground. And looking at the definition of a D-Rank Pokemon, it seems a lot of E-Rank Pokemon can fit into that category, like Regigigas being used over Vigoroth as it isn't as hurt as it by Knock Off and becomes really scary during stall wars, or Slaking used over any other hard hitting Normal type if your team has things for set-up sweepers.
Gourgeist-Large has a legit niche, as it can outspeed max speed base 45's (golem, marowak, armaldo) and can burn them, while not sacrificing too much bulk (however the lowered bulk makes it mostly not to be worth it, as despite it being a huge threat to stall, marowak isnt too common). Gourgeist-average has no niche, as the extra speed is not worth the massive drop in bulk (over 10% less bulk than Gourgeist-super), and a subseed set is very outclassed by Gourgeist-small as the set doesnt care about bulk, rather wants to outspeed Pokemon like Leafeon so it can burn it, along with others including Rotom, and Gourgeist-small speed ties with Carracosta.
tl;dr Gourgeist-l has a niche, Gourgeist-average

Although some E-ranks may have small niches over higher rank pokes, they are too small to even be noteworthy. For example, if you were wanting a normal wallbreaker for your team, you dont think 'Hm Stoutland is just a bit too slow, and Ursaring isnt hard enough, that means i better use Slaking, despite its huge flaw'. Other E-ranks are obviously just outclassed (eg Carnivine). Some D-ranks are actually worth using eg shedinja if on the correct team.
We (some of the council) are actually in the progress of testing some lower down ranks, mostly c/c-/d and some e, so we get a more accurate representation of were they should be.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What's Evs would you recommend for offinsive
Wigglytuff @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice/Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the most common set for Wigglytuff. It's normally found on webs teams, but it makes a decent offensive stealth rock setter, although most teams go for Aurorus or Golem.

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hyper Voice/Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the most common set for Wigglytuff. It's normally found on webs teams, but it makes a decent offensive stealth rock setter, although most teams go for Aurorus or Golem.
Life Orb is much better than leftovers, as Wigglytuff really needs the power.

Just wondering, but what differentiates Special Poliwrath, Specs Floatzel, Simipour and Golduck in choosing what specially offensive water to choose for a team?

(If this sounds too confusing, I basically want to know the differences between these mons)

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just wondering, but what differentiates Special Poliwrath, Specs Floatzel, Simipour and Golduck in choosing what specially offensive water to choose for a team?

(If this sounds too confusing, I basically want to know the differences between these mons)
Poliwrath has the best typing in PU and Vacuum Wave for priority, Golduck and Floatzel are both great rain sweepers with Floatzel being faster but Golduck being stronger, and Simipour is either a mixed wallbreaker with Life Orb Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Low Kick, Grass Knot or a SubSalac sweeper with Substitute, Nasty Plot, Water STAB, Ice Beam.

Edit: To below, Specs also works very well in the rain as the fastest swift swimmer. It indeed does not have to be used in a rain team though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)