Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

Also, I'm running a trick room team. So when trick room is up, Escavalier is faster. One last question, would it be better to lead with Dusknior or Slowking? For my trick room team(They are the two setters).Thanks for the help.

That depends on how well they each match up against the opponent's team. Smeargle or Uxie are leads that can work against most opposing leads and set up Trick Room. This would take some pressure off of your other two setters.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
What is a good base speed for a lead ?
In most situations you're not going to be running a dedicated lead, which is a Pokemon you'll always lead with. Instead in BW, you are most commonly going to lead with a Pokemon that has the most advantages against your opponent's team or that can set up Stealth Rock.

However, if you're going to use a dedicated lead, a good Speed tier to keep in mind is outspeeding max Speed Smeargle (base 75), as that is the most common dedicated lead.

In most situations you're not going to be running a dedicated lead, which is a Pokemon you'll always lead with. Instead in BW, you are most commonly going to lead with a Pokemon that has the most advantages against your opponent's team or that can set up Stealth Rock.

However, if you're going to use a dedicated lead, a good Speed tier to keep in mind is outspeeding max Speed Smeargle (base 75), as that is the most common dedicated lead.
Thanks, trickscarf mesprit @ 252+ is my lead.

I think I'm going to like it down here. A life free from Scizor, Breloom and the Dragons of Doom. Now, when exactly are the next tier changes? I want to be able to prepare for any new threats (hopefully not as troublesome as the ones already listed)

How can you figure out a pokemon's role? I am new to Smogon and I am gonna play UU and RU. But I need someone to help me learn how to build teams.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi IBeN4te, welcome to smogon! i hope you enjoy your stay here :).

Luckily, there are two programs that are designed to help new players get a feel for competitive Pokemon, the battling 101 program and the mentor program! Unfortunately, the last round of battling 101 just closed a little while ago, so you'll have to wait a bit before signing up for that. As for the mentor program, thats almost always open, just look out for people who play UU and RU a lot with the mentor status, and maybe try to reach out to them either via PM or VM, or on #mentor on smogon irc. Speaking of irc, you can go to #pokemon, #genvuu, and #rarelyused to get team advice as well =).

What if Houndoom drops to RU? Will he actually drop since he is one of the lowest usage pokemon in UU tier?

Will he be considered BL2 when he does ?

It depends on what you want to block, as no Ghost can beat both common spinners as far as I know. Spiritomb is the best for beating Cryogonal, while Rotom can usually beat Kabutops. I would also have a good counter to the spinner your Ghost can't beat so you can put pressure on it and wear it down.

I'm running Steelix/Crawdaunt/Flareon/Eelektross/Galvantula/Rampardos and I almost never seem to win. What am I doing wrong?
Many of your pokemon have the same weaknesses, in fact the only thing on your team which doesn't have a common weakness is eelektross and thats because it has no weaknesses. To build better teams you try to build it around a core like fire/water/grass or psychic/dark/fighting. Cores like these have better synergy and thus easier to use due to the fact switching is easier and you have better stab coverage across your team. try something like uxie(physically bulky, rocks and t-wave)/emboar(choice band)/spiritomb(all out attacker, black glasses)/lanturn(specially defensive)/rotom-c(choice specs)/cinccino(scarf), check the smogon sets. That should work at least in theory.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm running Steelix/Crawdaunt/Flareon/Eelektross/Galvantula/Rampardos and I almost never seem to win. What am I doing wrong?
Rampardos and Flareon are extremely niche Pokemon for the metagame and need to be supported very well in order to work. They are not meant for use by beginners.

5/6 of your team is slower than nearly the entire metagame with no way to support them apart from Stealth Rock from Steelix. You have almost no way to open a situation in which Crawdaunt or Rampardos can come in to sweep or wallbreak apart from Eelektross Volt Switching out to them.

You're extremely weak to many of the top Pokemon in the metagame, particularly Flamethrower Druddigon, Slowking switches in for free on Flareon and Steelix and you have no way to switch into it (Eel gets very easily worn down), Sceptile mows down each Pokemon on your team apart from Flareon (who can be 2HKOed by HP Rock after Stealth Rock), Entei runs straight through you, etc.

Take a look at this thread and this thread to understand which Pokemon you need to most prepare for and which Pokemon are considered the best to use in the metagame.

What are some good partners for Choice Banded Aggron? And what Pokemon are fully capable of utilizing the holes he opens in opposing teams?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What are some good partners for Choice Banded Aggron? And what Pokemon are fully capable of utilizing the holes he opens in opposing teams?
Moltres is a great partner for Aggron, since it smashes Steel and Fighting types and has useful defensive synergy with Aggron. They can demolish most stuff together thanks to this. Mesprit is also pretty good since it can hit stuff Aggron can't, and if you really want to it can also set up TR for Aggron to wreck in.

Scolipede, particularly SD, is good to sweep after Aggron wallbreaks, as is Klinklang and to some extent Hitmonlee.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, Alakazam was allowed in initial RU before it's Dream World ability (magic guard) was released, that was before my time though, so if you have other questions about it, someone else will have to answer them.

I am trying to think up a new team. The general idea is that Slowking and Druddigon paralyse the opposing team before slow Sweepers hit them hard. I have a few questions for anyone who has made similar teams:

1. As Choice Banded Esca will be on the team how much speed investment will he need? I don't think he will be outspeeding even paralysed opponents.

2. What set would fit Rhydon best? I was thinking an all out attacker but I am not too sure.

3. As I have the aforementioned 4 pokemon and a speedy backup cleaner (Probably Sceptile or one of the speedy Normal Types) What would be a good pokemon for the sixth slot. I really can't think of one at the moment.

I am trying to think up a new team. The general idea is that Slowking and Druddigon paralyse the opposing team before slow Sweepers hit them hard. I have a few questions for anyone who has made similar teams:

1. As Choice Banded Esca will be on the team how much speed investment will he need? I don't think he will be outspeeding even paralysed opponents.

2. What set would fit Rhydon best? I was thinking an all out attacker but I am not too sure.

3. As I have the aforementioned 4 pokemon and a speedy backup cleaner (Probably Sceptile or one of the speedy Normal Types) What would be a good pokemon for the sixth slot. I really can't think of one at the moment.
Personally I think your team will have a problem with Taunt users, such as Aerodactyl.
As such, your last pokemon could either be something that is fast and can inflict Paralysis, or an attacker. Your last slot can also be used as a Hazard Setter, depending on your team. as Paralysis will cause switches on the opponent's side.
For Rhydon and Esca, Rhydon might do well as an All-out Attacker, as long as you make sure dangerous threats are either paralyzed or fainted. If you dont manage to pull this off, It'll be better to run a defenive set. However, it all depends on the other pokemon on your team.
Escavalier can do his job good even without Paralysis support, so it isn't very important to be able to outspeed paralyzed Pokemon

Lastly, If you are having slow pokemon in general, It might be useful to put Trick Room on Slowking. Just an idea, you dont have to use it.

PS. I'm a bit new here, so my advice might not work/turn out good. In that case, just ask a more expirienced member :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)