1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Ask a Simple Question Get a Simple Answer - RU Edition

Discussion in 'BW RU' started by Oglemi, Sep 21, 2011.

1. waterwarrior

waterwarrior

Giga Drain Yanmega and Download/ Specs (you only need one) PZ also screw up Alomomola (then again, what don't the two of them kill bar Munchlax...) and furthermore, WHY THE HELL IS MUNCHLAX NOT TOP 1O?! I don't even use him, but I still know he's incredible.
    Double01 likes this.
  2. locoghoul

locoghoul Banned deucer.

Hey guys! I'm on my second run on my platinum cart and when it comes to the pixies I was wondering if a sassy (don't have a shiny calm spread) Uxie could be useful? What do you guys think?
    Double01 likes this.
  3. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Leader

IF this post is just asking about the viability of shiny sassy uxie why must it be shiny. Go with calm.
    Double01 likes this.
  4. Banedon

Banedon

Why does Gardevoir have Heal Bell in its movepool in D/P, but not in B/W?
    Double01 likes this.
  5. Pwnemon

Pwnemon judges silently
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    Doubles Co-Leader

It gets it via 4gen tutor, if that's what you're asking.
    Double01 likes this.
  6. waterwarrior

waterwarrior

Sassy isn't a bad nature for Uxie, but it isn't a good one either. While its base 95 Speed isn't great, its enough to outrun many slower offensive threats and gain the upper hand. Like Pwnemon said, go with Calm or Bold.
    Double01 likes this.
  7. Malkyrian

Malkyrian

What is a standard nature/EV spread for a Bulk Up Gallade? I'm not sure how much speed to run, or how much to emphasize its defenses.
    Double01 likes this.
  8. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

Hey I am just starting RU, and I am having decent success for literally not knowing how the metagame worked just a few days ago. But Alakazam keeps on screwing me over time and time again almost every time I see it. What are some good counters for Alakazam, not check because I am running stall, Muchlax doesn't work BTW.
    Double01 likes this.
  9. Lady Shinki

Lady Shinki

SpDef Drapion might be decent if you're running a stall team: he can come in easily on every move alakazam carries and pursuit/toxic spikes/whirlwind as you see fit. +1 Modest LO Focus Blast never 1hko's even after SR, and you can Crunch back for an easy KO. He does decently vs. most psychic-types with its neutrality to Fighting, and it can also deal with setup by Whirlwinding it away. A small bonus is that he can't be critted because of Battle Armor. Maybe a set like this would work?

Drapion @ Leftovers
    252 HP/4 Def/252 SpDef
    Careful / Battle Armor

Crunch
    Toxic Spikes
    Whirlwind
    Rest / Taunt

Paired up with Aromatherapy/Heal Bell, it is a force to be reckoned with as it phazes for Toxic damage and Taunts to prevent setup (at base 95 speed it's still pretty fast uninvested).
    Double01 likes this.
  10. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

Sableye is counter #1 because it's immune to zam's stab and focus blast. Psychics like uxie and mesprit resist its two main attacks and are relatively effective. Scarfers can outspeed it and frequently ohko it due to its low defenses though they're generally only checks. A lack of special walls in ru means you have to wall zam with resistences, and not just bulk.
    Double01 likes this.
  11. Princess Bubblegum

Princess Bubblegum

I guess I will keep on trying Drapion I suppose, it gets too annoying I will be sure to try Sableye.
    Double01 likes this.
  12. CheezyMoon

CheezyMoon

I didn't know where to post this, but on Gallade's page, the ability for the Bulk Up set is Justified, which is illegal with 3 of the moves (Drain Punch, Shadow Sneak, Ice Punch) Also, how come Feraligatr with its DW Ability be allowed in RU tier? Has it not been released or something?
    Double01 likes this.
  13. zdrup15

zdrup15
    is a Battle Server Moderatoris a Contributor Alumnus

Use Slowking. Iirc it can avoid the 2HKO from Shadow Ball and hit back with Scald (you have to EV it to 2HKO in return).
    Double01 likes this.
  14. kniteowl

kniteowl

I think Gallade with shadow sneak checks alakazam, no sword dance boost required, just max attack and a a life orb, jolly will OHKO, as long as Zam isn't carrying a sash.

I haven't done the damage calculations but from playing the game I've OHKO Zam with shadow sneak with 100% health.
    Double01 likes this.
  15. PoJ

PoJ

Would a Lonely nature on Tangrowth be out of the question? I know Naughty would be MUCH better, and I know it would be a shame to lower that great defense, but I only have a Lonely and Timid Tangrowth as my options (In-game, of course).

Thank you :3
    Double01 likes this.
  16. Molk

Molk Assault Vest Whimsicott ^_^
    is a Tutoris a member of the Site Staffis a Smogon IRC AOPis a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
    RU Leader

Yes I would say that a lonely nature on tangrowth is out of the question, one of tangrowth's assests is its physical bulk. Even uninvested it can still take pretty strong attacks from the physical side.
    Double01 likes this.
  17. FrigidVeil

FrigidVeil

Hey, I've looked around but I can't seem to find an answer for this. I haven't played much RU yet, and I was wondering if snover was considered RU? On the snover page it only lists little cup, where as hippopotas says UU, and vulpix is in limbo. So I was just wondering what teir snover was counted in when not used for little cup.
    Double01 likes this.
  18. No Luck Involved

No Luck Involved

Snover is RU
    Double01 likes this.
  19. bluemon

bluemon

can we change the title to "ask a rarely asked question, get a rarely answered answer" ?
    Double01 likes this.
  20. Pombo

Pombo

Why isnt smashpassing banned in RU?
    Double01 likes this.
  21. Vratix

Vratix

Because it isn't banned in a higher tier and has not been a great enough problem as of yet to become Suspect here.

The key issue preventing it (even though all 3 Smash-passers are RU or Lower) is that the pool of recipients is not as healthy or frightening as the higher tiers. It can still be an excellent strategy to utilize but is often foiled one way or another by something that could be shrugged off in a higher tier.
    Double01 likes this.
  22. waterwarrior

waterwarrior

There's also the fact that there are very few players actually abusing SmashPass. last time usage stats came out, Gorebyss was incredibly low (107, with <2% usage, but I'm not sure how much that has changed), and Huntail was even less. Offensive pressure helps keep SmashPass in check tremendously on Gorebyss even with White Herb, as many likely SP recipients can rarely risk the pass itself. Imo, the sweep Gorebyss and Omastar can perform is a lot more threatening than when it's given to someone else.
    Double01 likes this.
  23. Nails

Nails EAST 2014
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a World Cup of Pokemon defending champion

no
    Double01 likes this.
  24. RotatingAtom

RotatingAtom

I know that RU Round 2 will end on November 14th, and I'm happy to see that nothing is undoubtedly broken and the tier is pretty diverse at the moment from what I've seen, so I have to ask:

When will the tiers be updated based on usage again?

I'm sure many of you have already read that Sigilyph, Aerodactyl, Whimsicott and Dusclops, along with Weavile, are close to dropping to RU by usage, so when can I expect my team to be outdated because it cannot deal with the new threads? Will that be the case on November 14th as well? :(
    Double01 likes this.
  25. November Blue

November Blue NO YOUTUBE, I DO NOT WANT TO WATCH VIDEOS AT MAX VOLUME!!
    is a Contributor Alumnus

It would probably occur sometime after the 14th. We'll hopefully be able to keep round two "intact," then update the tiers for round three.

Introducing four new Pokemon from a higher tier halfway through a suspect test would shake things up too much. If the community decides that there are no suspects (or a general concensus) it'd be best to finish this round, then start up anew.

Besides, if there are no suspects, we'd have little reason to commence a new round immediately.
    Double01 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)