1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer - The Smog Edition

Discussion in 'The Smog' started by sandshrewz, Apr 7, 2013.

1. brightobject

brightobject that belt looks good on ya, Mac!
    is a Pre-Contributor

Gotcha. Thanks!
  2. BAKAResh

BAKAResh

Hello :D

I was wondering if a PDF version of the smog could be released or even just the document form. Cause I was hoping to be able to read The Smog at my free time without having to go online because my house's wifi is rather bad and I like to keep such Webzines so that I can re-read them in the future during my spare time.

I believe this question has already been asked twice but it wouldn't hurt to ask again.

Cheers,
    BAKAResh
  3. sandshrewz

sandshrewz POTATO
    is a Site Staff Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

The Competitor (the tournament e-zine) used to do something like that. iirc they had pretty fancy layouts and stuff using PhotoShop. Jellicent can probably explain this better xd However, it didn't work out quite well because it took a lot of work and only few people had the expertise to do that kind of things. But more importantly, if changes were made post release then people had to keep editing and reuploading the thing, making it pretty hard to maintain. Right now with things on-site, if changes have to made then we just edit it on SCMS and it goes live. idrk how HTML and PDF can be related sooo /me hl Toast++

so yeaaa the main thing is the maintenance problem by having a PDF / doc plus not having the people to do it. Not really sure if we can have an alternative of having a zip with all the html docs or something though.
  4. Jellicent

Jellicent ~the spirit who loves spirits~
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Ruiner of Alph

The issues sandz mentioned are problematic, which is why we prefer to just keep things on the SCMS rather than PDFs. You can right click on a page and select "Save Page As..." to save it. I believe you should still then be able to view the page in offline mode later. Not an ideal solution, but it should work~
  5. BAKAResh

BAKAResh

Thanks Sandshrewz and Jellicent :D
  6. xfrd111

xfrd111

Hi there! I'm quite new here and just had a quick question. Is this a physical magazine you can order, or is it digital? Where may I find it? Thanks! :)
  7. Vacate

Vacate
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    The Player Co-Leader

The Smog is a webzine - a link to it can be found here. It will always be hosted on Smogon and we have no plans to produce it in PDF form or as a physical magazine.
  8. xfrd111

xfrd111

Thanks Vacate!
  9. KoalaNoob

KoalaNoob

Can anyone post an article in the Article Approval section?
  10. Vacate

Vacate
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Battle Server Administratoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    The Player Co-Leader

Yes, just make sure it follows the guidelines.
  11. KoalaNoob

KoalaNoob

Um, all the links to the guidelines I've found haven't been working. Are they somewhere else?
  12. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

Bam
  13. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

What ever happened to featured RMTs? I used to love reading them, but I haven't seen one in a long time.
  14. Toast++

Toast++ Corrupt Admin
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Programmeris a Super Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Researcher Alumnus
    The Smog Lead

We'd love to have more! Unfortunately, the supply is a bit low...
    unfixable likes this.
  15. Flora

Flora Yep, that tasted purple!
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor Alumnus

Write them for us. :)
  16. Bummer

Bummer .etiuq ooT
    is an Artistis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Art Co-Leader

Or pressure the RMT department to share some of their good stuff.
  17. Madotsuki

Madotsuki

Why is it that UU hasn't had any articles about it since the start of XY? OU, RU, and LC are all covered, and NU probably isn't popular enough for someone to write an article about it every month. I'm just curious, since I personally like UU as a tier. Is it just lack of interest on the part of writers?
  18. Vacate

Vacate
    The Player Co-Leader

Yes. If someone has a good article idea and sufficient metagame knowledge, we'd be glad to allow someone to write one!
  19. ForgottenOnes

ForgottenOnes

Do you think I can write about the Pokemon TCG for the smog? I love the TCG, and I know quite a bit about the current meta, etc.
  20. Lady Salamence

Lady Salamence
    is a Smogon Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Yes, just submit an article application and wait for consideration. The Smog has had TGC stuff in the past and it's always been nice to have articles on a unique part of Pokemon that is overlooked often.
    ForgottenOnes likes this.
  21. Merchant_Mike

Merchant_Mike

Why doesn't the strategy dex have counters and checks for pokemon? I miss the old strategy dex. It had a summary of pokemon's play style and attributes and at the end had checks and counters....
  22. LightningLuxray

LightningLuxray Lancer
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

They'll be out soon, they still want to work out all the bugs before they add in the Checks and Counters / Overview / Other Options.

For future reference, direct all non-Smog related questions here
  23. Random Passerby

Random Passerby

In Issues 36 and 37, there are several puzzles listed. So, are you guys planning to release the answers to these puzzles after the competition is over? (example, the Issue 36 puzzle competition is over but if someone just saw them today, they would have no way to check whether they got it correct)
  24. Level 51

Level 51 [17:37:18] boTTT: (Private to @Level 51) ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator

ooops!! haha sorry I'm in charge of that but I've been busy + distracted. The plan was to edit the answers into the page once the deadline has passed, and then link that in the next issue!
    Random Passerby likes this.
  25. KlynPar

KlynPar

Can someone remind me where to send in puzzle answers?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)