Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know if a brave tyranitar with a 31 IV in speed holding an iron ball will outspeed or underspeed a 0 IV speed quiet abamasnow with a sash

Just because you said this, I'm going to do it! And I think I know just how to alter my Gastrodon build for VGC in order to try to pull it off! <_<

Of course, I would have to breed a whole new one, but whatever. I'm 950+ hours legit and don't intend on changing that. (That's kind of why I'm going for the legit shiny Eevees!)
Haha, is Gastrodon even viable in VGC? I'd think Swampert would be a better choice.

Haha, is Gastrodon even viable in VGC? I'd think Swampert would be a better choice.
It has fairly balanced defenses, a really high HP stat and a fair special attack stat. I'd say it's the special equivalent, only without the same movepool. At least this one can learn Hydro Pump/Surf and ice beam. Though in a metagame with primarily special attackers/special-oriented strategies, I doubt it will be worth it. Swampert is probs better.

It has fairly balanced defenses, a really high HP stat and a fair special attack stat. I'd say it's the special equivalent, only without the same movepool. At least this one can learn Hydro Pump/Surf and ice beam. Though in a metagame with primarily special attackers/special-oriented strategies, I doubt it will be worth it. Swampert is probs better.
True. Though, Gastrodon does have some neat features:
-Storm Drain
-High HP and Hydro Pump/Surf/Ice Beam(like you said)
-Recover (Swampy doesn't have it, but it's uses aren't much in VGC).

I'd love to run Swampert (and, assumingly Gastrodon, that'd be funny), but the usage of Grass Knot thanks to Kyogre sort of kills that.

I'm trying to think of any other obscure Pokemon that could work in VGC. Maybe a Quick Feet Ursaring or something.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Anybody know how Magic Coat works in doubles? The guide doesn't seem to address any changes. For example, if your opponent targets you partner with say Thunderwave, and your other poke Magic Coats, would it still reflect it back? Or do you specifically have to be targeted?

True. Though, Gastrodon does have some neat features:
-Storm Drain
-High HP and Hydro Pump/Surf/Ice Beam(like you said)
-Recover (Swampy doesn't have it, but it's uses aren't much in VGC).

I'd love to run Swampert (and, assumingly Gastrodon, that'd be funny), but the usage of Grass Knot thanks to Kyogre sort of kills that.

I'm trying to think of any other obscure Pokemon that could work in VGC. Maybe a Quick Feet Ursaring or something.
Which reminds me. Aside from wondering if that Ursaring would work and what other obscure Pokemon could work in VGC, third question.

Would a Pokemon with Quick Feet activated be faster than Choice Scarf users?

From what I remember from my experience with Jolly Quick Feet Ursaring, ... it outspeeds up to (and including) +base 105s only (and will need to be Jolly to outspeed +base 100), which means it doesn't outspeed mewtwo, weavile, gengar, lugia, latias, Latios (that's all I remember out of the somewhat common vgc pokemon). Scarf Kyogre outspeeds Mewtwo and obviously outspeeds Scarf Ursaring. Scarf Abomasnow (I don't think we'll see much of that this year?) will outspeed only if it is +speed.

Basically, don't use Quick Feet Ursaring. Facade won't even OHKO any of the allowed Ubers. Brave Guts under Trick Room is infinitely better, and even the use of that is questionable. Guts and Orb boosted Facade will OHKO Mewtwo, Palkia, and anything (not resist) that does not have a ton of HP and Def EVs. It can almost 2HKO Dialga and has a small chance to 2HKO 252 HP Tyranitar.

EDIT: Guts boosted Close Combat also has a slightly better than 50/50 chance to OHKO (non-Chople) 252 HP 0 Def Dialga and can also guarantees OHKO on 252 HP 0 Def Chople Tyranitar, and... Brave Ursaring underspeeds Brave Tyranitar, so, actually, I suppose Brave Orb Ursaring could potentially be OK in Trick Room, but it won't last more than one hit though with the orb depleting health and the presence of protect.

Anybody know how Magic Coat works in doubles? The guide doesn't seem to address any changes. For example, if your opponent targets you partner with say Thunderwave, and your other poke Magic Coats, would it still reflect it back? Or do you specifically have to be targeted?
You have to be specifically targeted. I already asked this question, try searching Magic Coat next time.

On a side note, Magic Coat is indeed effective at countering Dark Void Smeargle.

The Smeargle+Machamp Role Play + Sheer Cold + Mimic (on Machamp) takes a bit too long to set up, and is countered by way too many things to be viable. On the other hand, if you're looking for a quick way to beat Pokémon Battle Revolution, go for it. If you're going for VGC, find a better way to pull it off.

Huy

INSTANT BALLS
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Magic Coat only protects the user.

Dialga (TR Lead) - Lum, Chople, or Shuca. From what I've seen on youtube... Chople seems to be the most common, followed by Lum. Just wondering if others' experience has been similar for TR Lead Dialga's berry? (Note: I'm not asking which one's better or anything ... I'm sure we all know what the benefits of each of those items are)
It's pretty much been the same with my experience. Chople seems to be the most used. I usually pair Dialga with a Fake Out user that deters Smeargle from DVing the first turn. Once you have DV covered, Chopple looks really good, considering that it gives Dialga a very good shot at setting up TR/firing off Draco Meteor even if it is threatened by Low Kick.

It's pretty much been the same with my experience. Chople seems to be the most used. I usually pair Dialga with a Fake Out user that deters Smeargle from DVing the first turn. Once you have DV covered, Chopple looks really good, considering that it gives Dialga a very good shot at setting up TR/firing off Draco Meteor even if it is threatened by Low Kick.
Isn't DV Smeargle often paired with a faster Fake Out-er to stop Smeargle itself being flinched? If you run a slow Fake Out-er with Dialga to benefit from Trick Room, it's even more risky, as it means Smeargle's partner doesn't even need to be really fast.

EDIT: HG/SS added a GS Cup battle mode to local wireless. The restrictions are identical to those of the VGC; this will definitely be used. PBR is slow to set up; not good when you're looking at hundreds of battles. Besides, if PBR was to be used, they would need dozens of TVs and Wiis, which would be expensive and awkward to transport between events.
Last year's regionals were entirely done by DS battles (even the finals).

Isn't DV Smeargle often paired with a faster Fake Out-er to stop Smeargle itself being flinched? If you run a slow Fake Out-er with Dialga to benefit from Trick Room, it's even more risky, as it means Smeargle's partner doesn't even need to be really fast.
I have not seen very many Smeargles in general, much less Fake Out Lead + Smeargle. I think it is largely because of the fact that only 2 Ubers are allowed, and none of them learn fake out. Other than Weavile and Infernape, none of the other fake out users are "very" fast, and having two frail leads (Smeargle + Weavile/Infernape ... I suppose Ambipom too which I haven't seen at all) which do not attack extremely hard in this environment is quite a big risk.

Thanks for the input on the Gastrodon CCM and Darkwatch.

I'm under the impression that "Sticky Hold" would be better since the only water attack I'm bound to see is "Surf"--which hits both Pokemon anyway. This way, I could also prevent being "Trick"ed because the item I have planned for him would be vital to the strategy I've used with him. Trust me though, I gave "Storm Drain" some serious thought.

As far as Swampert goes, I'm not denying that he's better. It's just that Gastrodon is funnier and would be a little less predictable given its different move pool. Also, the high base HP makes up for its lower-than-Swampert's defenses.

I've had a trained Gastrodon for a long while; I just haven't used him lately. And in the time I used him, he managed to take down some pretty hefty pokes (Including DD Rayquayza, which I mentioned before). So trust me when I say I have a good feeling that he won't crash and burn in the face of VGC.

I also think that this "Safeguard"ing Alakazam is a pretty cool idea...

Lead 1

Alakazam @ (Lum Berry or Choice Scarf)
Timid Nature
INNER FOCUS
252 Spd / 100 HP / 80 Def / 72 Sp.Atk (Going for balance here...)

Trick (If I go with scarf)
Safeguard
Psychic
Focus Blast

Lead 2

Crobat @ (Haven't decided on the item yet)
Jolly Nature
INNER FOCUS
252 Spd / 128 HP / 128 Atk

Taunt
Brave Bird
U-Turn
(Torn Between Super Fang and Protect)

How does this look? Double Inner Focus Leads to Counter Fake Out Leads. One Fast dude with "Taunt" to stifle potential "Trick Rooms" and another fast dude with Safeguard to shut down any status for the first 5 turns.

Yeah, I tend to focus on defense before offense...that's just my style...

Problem is that a lead can just...you know, attack. Both of those Pokemon are frail and anyone would notice and just OHKO you.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Those defensive EVs aren't going to help I don't think. When making an EV spread, do some calculations. Are they helping you stay alive from any attacks from Pokemon you think you'll fight? If not, they're a waste there. Those two in particular will be needing Focus Sash or something to stay alive otherwise you're really just sacrificing Alakazam for a Safeguard.

Anyone that I can bounce ideas off of not going to Dallas? The team I have in mind is semi-dependent on surprise, so I don't want to tip anyone off <_<

Those defensive EVs aren't going to help I don't think. When making an EV spread, do some calculations. Are they helping you stay alive from any attacks from Pokemon you think you'll fight? If not, they're a waste there. Those two in particular will be needing Focus Sash or something to stay alive otherwise you're really just sacrificing Alakazam for a Safeguard.
You make a very good point. However, to me, the idea of sacrificing Alakazam for a Safeguard sure as hell beats the idea of half of my team being out to sleep and just sitting there whiie the opposition wipes me out.

I don't DO calculations when making EV spreads because I don't give a rat's patoot whether or not I can OHKO/2HKO things. I make EV spreads based on what role I want the Pokemon to have in the team. If I want the Alakazam for support, I want to try and increase its survivability. With 85 Base SpDef, Alakazam could probably take a special hit.

I care about originality, finesse and making my matches fun and interesting for me and my opponent. And if I lose in VGC because of it...at least I got my shiny Eevees.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not going to try...

And CCM, I could uderstand you saying that if I had put no actual attacks on those two leads. But the Alakazam has Psychic and Focus Blast while the Crobat has Brave Bird and U-Turn...and maybe Super Fang. Attacking is the option if I don't detect sleep moves, etc.

This is fun! I love the input you guys are giving! I'm glad I can openly talk about my ideas and play style without being massively flamed a la GameFAQs forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)