Ask a simple question, get a simple answer - VGC edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.smogon.com/bw/pokemon/hydreigon/vgc2012

There is the best write up for him and if you click over to the OU tab there are a few more setups to consider.
Every pokemon has its own page with write ups that provide not only stats, but preferred/common set ups, as well as the reasoning behind it, and what to look out for.

You say he can die fast? Is there a certain move/pokemon that you've seen be extremely effective against him? There are a wide variety of options to consider, especailly how you EV train him, and what item you give him to hold.

Also, what kind of team are you considering him for? Goodstuff, trickroom, other?
All this information can really help you narrow down if he is right for your needs, and let the good people of the forum give you the most accurate advice!

Now for a question, mostly because I am a fan, but do y'all see Cinccino being a good choice with Skill Link out? It is fast, and can hit pretty decently, but is frail and can't do ANYTHING vs steels.
I'm a bit late to this, but I think I can chime in-I've toyed around with Cinccino in the GBU. From my experience, a choice band set seems to work best. As you said, Cinccino is frail, so having it hold a choice band coupled with max speed (in ideal conditions) allows it to grab a KO and hopefully evade damage.

Since Cinccino isn't encountered very frequently, I think people have a tendency to underestimate it, or just don't know how it functions. I've lost count of the number of KOs I've gotten by using Bullet Seed on unsuspecting Tyranitar, Politoed, Gastrodon, and Rotom-W. It also can outspeed and hit Latios with Tailslap, which is a plus.

But like you mentioned, Cinccino cannot do anything against steels, and anything stronger than a light breeze threatens to KO it. Personally, I prefer Pokemon on the bulkier side, so I'm kind of wary of using Cinccino. I think, though, that overall, it can be usable. You just need to be very careful. As a rule of thumb, I only chose it if I know my opponent is going to chose something it can get a OHKO on. Having something to switch into Cinccino's place to sponge heavy attacks and reset the choice band is also immensely helpful.

All that being said, I don't think Cinccino's DW ability is legal for VGC 2012, and the GBU metagame isn't necessarily representative of VGC. I don't know what 2013 will be like, so it's anyone’s guess as to how Cinccino will fit in.

How many offensive and defensive pokemon should you have on a team? Do you guys believe that you should more offensive or defensive on a Goodstuff team? And what do you guys think of Hydreigon, is he worth putting on a team? Even though he can die fast
In VGC, walls like Blissey generally don't do very well due to the time limit. Every team has to be fairly offensive in this metagame because of that. However, pokemon like Cresselia and Gastrodon are still very popular.

Hydreigon isn't very popular because it's slower than Latios and has lower Sp Atk.

All that being said, I don't think Cinccino's DW ability is legal for VGC 2012, and the GBU metagame isn't necessarily representative of VGC. I don't know what 2013 will be like, so it's anyone’s guess as to how Cinccino will fit in.
That prompted me to look for the rules, and:
VGC 2012 Rules said:
Players may use Pokémon with Hidden Abilities that have been officially released via Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, the Pokémon Global Link, or an official event or promotion.
So it seems not, but this does beg the question: Does this mean that DW Unova pokemon are legal, even if they can only be found thanks to owning B/W2? I can only see this potentially helping 3 pokemon though (Emolga gets Motor Drive ans can absorb electric hits, Alomomola gets Regenerator, increasing its survivability, and Caracosta gets Swift Swim, which makes it a physically bulky, slower kabutops) so it's not a huge deal.

Good Trade off for a lack of Regenerator Amoongus. (Do Not Want)

Does someone know for sure, if those hidden abilities are allowed at worlds, that were released after the qualifiers?

On the page it says, everything is allowed, if you can get it legally in BW1, but I'm not sure because I never saw that particular pokemon with the ability, even though I think it has a lot of potential.

Blissey worked kinda nice for me on the 2010(except they had no events in sweden and i just played on the skarmbliss server (? the metagame with all gen 4 pokemon except events). However her main threat was crits and freeze(inkl crit explosions), so relying too much on blissey is agreeable to not work :/, even though she tanks kyogre like a boss with a calm mind set up or 2.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does someone have a azelf they want to trade?

And someone that has a DW cottonee.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3460642 is where you can find Pokemon for trade.

Does someone know for sure, if those hidden abilities are allowed at worlds, that were released after the qualifiers?

On the page it says, everything is allowed, if you can get it legally in BW1, but I'm not sure because I never saw that particular pokemon with the ability, even though I think it has a lot of potential.
If it's released and legal in BW1 by the time Worlds comes around, it'll be legal in the tournament.

R Inanimate

It's Lunatic Time
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Blissey worked kinda nice for me on the 2010(except they had no events in sweden and i just played on the skarmbliss server (? the metagame with all gen 4 pokemon except events). However her main threat was crits and freeze(inkl crit explosions), so relying too much on blissey is agreeable to not work :/, even though she tanks kyogre like a boss with a calm mind set up or 2.
2010 also didn't have an in-game time limit. While Blissey was fine in the regionals, there did end up being a number of stories where both teams having Blissey caused some trouble when they had 45 minutes to complete a best of 3 set in the Nationals, and probably the Worlds. Blissey vs Blissey is very time consuming, and before you know it, you'll find that you've already blown half your allotted 45 minutes time on the first match.

Blissey might make a return if the timer is shifted up to 20 minutes, but I'd say that 15 minutes is just barely too short for it to be worthwhile.

Is it true that in BW2, a player who disconnects gets a temporary ban from Random matchups? How many DCs does one actually need to make in order to be banned?

I have trouble with my team. So far, I have Latios, Metagross, and GArchomp. On the GBU, as a filler, I'm using my old Lucario to help me learn battle skills. However, I keep getting crushed, but it's usually because of four and only four reasons: Fake Out, Chandelure, rain teams and cresselia. Is there any way to knock out four birds with three stones? Also, my Latios has Ice Beam, Draco Meteor, Protect, and Psychic. I'm thinking about getting energy ball to end those pesky water types, but that seems risky to me. Also, does anyone know any good counters for Cresselia?

I have trouble with my team. So far, I have Latios, Metagross, and GArchomp. On the GBU, as a filler, I'm using my old Lucario to help me learn battle skills. However, I keep getting crushed, but it's usually because of four and only four reasons: Fake Out, Chandelure, rain teams and cresselia. Is there any way to knock out four birds with three stones? Also, my Latios has Ice Beam, Draco Meteor, Protect, and Psychic. I'm thinking about getting energy ball to end those pesky water types, but that seems risky to me. Also, does anyone know any good counters for Cresselia?
This question has many answers, I'll try to give a good one. Chandelure and Cress both do not like Tyranitar, who also deals with Rain to an extent by negating their boost and getting his own. Metagross doesn't mind Sandstorm, Garchomp loves it for miss hax, and Latios doesn't mind the damage too much. Unfortunately, Tyranitar doesn't really help against Fake Out. The solution to that kind of depends what Fake Out users bother you, and what exactly they even do to you.

Well, fake out usually isn't a problem. I anticipate that more than two-thirds of the time, the fake out users go for my Latios and then set up with their other Pokemon, which is usually either a Zapdos or a Cress. Tyranitar looks like an excellent counter to it, but the fake out users are usually fighting types in my case, but I think I can manage. I also struggle with Trick Room, is there any way-- never mind. I anticipate on getting a Thundurus soon, if all goes well. He can taunt/encore the opponents to death. Is there anything else to note?

Would a Latios be a good partner, considering his capability to take out fighting types, or would Garchomp be a better one, because he can stay in longer?

Ok simple question. I have a Zapdos on a Trick Room team. It has HP Ice, Heat Wave, and Protect. Should I give it Discharge, or Thunderbolt? Then should I give it Electric Gem or Sitrus Berry?

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Ok simple question. I have a Zapdos on a Trick Room team. It has HP Ice, Heat Wave, and Protect. Should I give it Discharge, or Thunderbolt? Then should I give it Electric Gem or Sitrus Berry?
Unless you have multiple Electric immunities on your team, Thunderbolt. Even on a TR team, Discharge's paralysis chance can screw you over at the worst of times (I lost in the Worlds LCQ last year mainly because I accidentally used Discharge with the wrong partner in).

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, that complicates things a bit more. I'm assuming Marowak's ability is Lightningrod? Because that will also redirect your own Thunderbolts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)