1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Assault Vest in VGC

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Chenkovsky, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

Assault Vest

The Assault Vest is an item that was introduced this generation which boosts the holders Special Defence by 1.5 times. However this comes at the cost of the use of non-damaging moves, including Protect. The Assault Vest is then a very hard item to use effectively and very few Pokemon can pull it off. However it does have considerable benefits for those Pokemon often turning OHKOes into 2HKOes. Unlike in singles the Assault Vest can't be used to bluff a Choice item as effectively given the risks of switching and revenge killing not being a dedicated role. Rather the Assault Vest can be used to boost bulky attackers Special Defense. Some Pokemon like Tyranitar use it to increase there longevity and give Pokemon like Mega Charizard Y the jump, as it can quite easily take Solar Beam now. Others like Hydreigon use it to survive Draco Meteors, and not get 2HKOed by coverage moves.

Building the Correct EV Spread
    For the most part one can not simply slap on an Assault Vest onto a Pokemon and call it done. If we take the earlier example of Hydreigon we must first identify the goal of the EV spread. As we will be investing in bulk it will be nice to survive Jolly Garchomps Dragon Claw. To guarantee not to be OHKOed you need to run a minimum of 108 EVs in HP. Next lets look into Modest Salamence's Draco Meteor, this can be done with another 64 EVs in HP or alternatively 44 EVs in Special Defense.
    Calcs (open)

252 Atk Garchomp Dragon Claw vs. 108 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 152-180 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252+ SpA Salamence Draco Meteor vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon: 152-180 (83.9 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon: 75-91 (41.4 - 50.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
    252+ SpA Life Orb Tyranitar Ice Beam vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon: 83-99 (45.8 - 54.6%) -- 47.7% chance to 2HKO
    252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Overheat vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon in Sun: 74-87 (40.8 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
    252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon: 81-96 (44.7 - 53%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO
    252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon: 50-60 (27.6 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

Given that your running a large amount bulk a Modest nature would be recommended so that you can hit as hard as possible with the EVs remaining. 220 Speed EVs should be run to out speed max Speed base 80s. Leaving 136 EVs to be run in Special Attack. These EVs are more than enough for Hydreigon to pick up OHKOes with Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Dark Pulse.

Notable Users
    • Hydreigon
      Set (open)

Hydreigon @ Assault Vest
      Ability: Levitate
      Level: 50
      EVs: 108 HP / 136 SAtk / 44 SDef / 220 Spd
      Modest Nature
      - Stone Edge / Dragon Pulse
      - Draco Meteor
      - Fire Blast / Flamethrower
      - Dark Pulse
    • Tyranitar
    • Conkeldurr
    • Azumarill
    • Scrafty
      Set (open)

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
      Ability: Intimidate
      Level: 50
      EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 68 Def / 36 SDef
      Adamant Nature
      - Fake Out
      - Drain Punch
      - Crunch
      - Ice Punch / Stone Edge
    • Clawitzer
      Set (open)

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
      Ability: Mega Launcher
      EVs: 252 HP / 176 SAtk / 68 SDef / 12 Spd
      Modest Nature
      - Water Pulse / Hydro Pump / Muddy Water
      - Aura Sphere
      - Dark Pulse
      - Dragon Pulse / Ice Beam
    Sets for all of the above are coming, feel free to recommend your own.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  2. Professor Birch

Professor Birch

To be honest, I think Hydreigon is a terrible AV user. Its Speed tier is strange and it is still OHKOed by Gardevoir's Dazzling Gleam. I just do not see it helping Hydreigon in really any way. Conkeldurr and Scrafty are actually quite good with AV but the whole losing Protect dents most pokemon in VGC. Conkeldurr does face the issue of being OHKOed of CB Talonflames Brave Bird and must invest a good chunk into Defense to survive and LO one. Scrafty does have an advantage due to Intimidate but is then crippled by the 4x weakness to Fairy.
  3. Mr.E

Mr.E im the best
    is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Winner

The only common user I've seen in VGC play is Clauncher.
  4. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

Clauncher has been quite a common user. Do you want share a set?

Assault Vest Hydreigon is very surprising, I first saw it on a Japanese team. I re-worked the EV spread to it's somewhat more efficient. I chose it as the example as it is one I have the most practice with, other than maybe Scrafty. I should clarify that it's sole purpose isn't to sought of deal with Salamence and Garchomp. In General Dragon is a very good defensive typing. Resisting both Fire and Grass with Fire Blast and Stone Edge it is a very good check to Sun in itself. It also takes on Rain without Kingdra, although Kingdra only does 64-73% with a Modest Life Orb super effective Dragon Pulse, it has a chance to OHKO with Draco hence it is a check.

252+ SpA Life Orb Ludicolo Ice Beam vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon: 81-96 (44.7 - 53%) -- 22.7% chance to 2HKO
    252 SpA Mega Manectric Hidden Power Ice vs. 108 HP / 44 SpD Assault Vest Hydreigon: 50-60 (27.6 - 33.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

It plays completely differently than Choice Scarf Hydreigon, and is much harder to use. However it is very good. Its speed tier is awkward but it outspeeds base 80s, with 220 EVs. Base 80s like Gardevoir. Saying a times four super effective move OHKOs isn't a particularly good argument, because with that argument Salamence and Garchomp shouldn't be used because Hidden Power Ice can OHKO them both. Aegislash has great synergy alongside Hydreigon because it easily takes care of Gardevoir. With a degree of common sense you can not stay in on a Gardevoir.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  5. torterratcg

torterratcg

I've only really seen Goodra with Assault Vest. Thoughts?
  6. Camh08

Camh08

I
    se my Goodra with a dragon fang I don't think I have an assault vest Goodra knows: power whip outrage muddy water and thunderbolt and he is a tank
  7. Chenkovsky

Chenkovsky

Goodra is a super niche Pokemon. It walls some pretty common Pokemon like Rotom-Wash / Heat, Amoonguss, and Charizard. With an Assault Vest it can take on Gardevior without Choice Specs. It is really let down by its Speed and movepool. I have no experience with it but Sludge Bomb, Draco Meteor, Fire Blast, and Thunderbolt all stand out. I haven't seen one without Sap Sipper, I guess Gooey is really throwing yourself under the bus and would only be useful against Mega Kangaskhan. Do you have any experience with it?

Hmm...
    I don't see Muddy Water being all that useful, Kingdra uses it because in rain and with STAB LO it still hits pretty hard even being a spread move. Goodra just doesn't have the Special Attack to use it effectively Rotom-Heat won't take much damage as it is so bulky, Mega Charizard Y doesn't take much because it weakened by sun, and Tyranitar's Special Defense is boosted by Sand. Dragon Fang only boost Outrage which is unreliable in doubles. Power Whip alongside Sap Sipper, but with Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp I doubt it will work consistently. Max Attack Goodra doesn't OHKO standard Rotom-Wash I feel would be its main use.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)