ATR's attempt at the VGC- a Newark Warstory

Status
Not open for further replies.
ATR's attempt at the VGC- a Newark Warstory
At today's qualifier I can honestly say I did have a pretty great time. I would have loved to have gotten an extra win but hey I didn't do that bad. It was a great experience and I was happy to meet a lot of users from here. Oh yeah will edit in some pictures a little later...

Before the Tournament-

Since last's year phily qualifier I wanted to enter VGC again as I got completely haxed that time around. So for several months my cousin(RukarioAuraMaster) and I, along with two of my friends decided to do a lot of testing. Heck we were testing up until about 2 weeks ago. After a ton of wifi battles and many pokemon online battles I finally decide on my team-

Raika the Infernape
@Focus Sash
Close Combat
Heatwave
Protect
Endeavor

At first I wanted to use fake out on this guy but as I battled more and more people began predicting it way too much so I decided to just screw it. I went for endeavor because pretty much no one could predict it in this metagame. It definately payed off several times in the tourney. Close combat because it did the same amount of damage low kick would do at against heavy opponents. The defensive drops that came with it also helped with endeavor. Heatwave was there because I wanted a spread attack to help aide me against any follow me leads.

Zakura the Palkia
@Lum berry/ Haban berry
Spacial Rend
Thunder
Blizzard
Protect

This guy was here just to abuse the different possible weather leads I could have faced. I had him hold lum berry the first few rounds because I feared DV smeargle. (Though it never payed off -___-) The moveset is pretty straight forward.

/

Habimaru the giratina
@Griseous Orb/Haban Berry
Dragon Claw
Shadow Force
Protect
Tailwind

Yeah that's right tailwind lol. I decided to use this spread because no one ever predicted tailwind. I caught many people off guard with this move and it allowed me to have a chance to sweep within a three turn period. The rest is pretty basic.

Zangetsu the Metagross
@ Muscle Band
Protect
Bullet Pnch
Rock Side
Explosion
Not that complicated. Threw him in for some priority and because he's just so badass. lol

I also had a dialga for a substitute but it never got use so I guess it’s not worth posting. So after deciding on my team I had to learn how to rng and manage to get them in time.

Day of VGC-

So I wake up around 6ish as I'm pretty nervous about the big day. I eat some breakfast and go to my friend's house, as his dad will be taking us there. During the car ride there I finish up my meta and start helping my friends out. We arrive there pretty early (around 9:30ish) and are amazed by how little people are there (though we didn't know the line extended inside at the time.) My cousin and I help our friends finish up some pokes until seniors starts. We try to meet as many smogoners as we can during this time. This included TTS, TDS, fightgar, bluecookies and many more. The line starts to inch closer and closer to the registration area. We all start to get a bit nervous as we didn't want to get haxed out during the first round. At this time I vow to myself that I'll make it to the finalist lounge no matter what.

Round 1-
I was pretty darn nervous coming to this match. I thought this guy might have been good as I overheard that he was using shinys (RNG Abuse instantly popped into my mind.) But then I saw his leads...
Charizard and Tyranitar...
easy (3-0)

Round 2-
I was beginning to feel a little better and I noticed all three of the other members of my small group had made it past round one as well. I go up against my second opponent and is a little intimidated again. I began the match to see a Groudon and a latios. I decided to kill use heatwave and spacial rent to get rid of latios. Latios is gone and Groudon is at half. From there I continue to tear through the remaining three pokes. His bench had Latias and something else lol (3-0)

Round 3-
Now I was begining to feel alot better about myself. My cousin and my friend had both made it this far as well. We notice that one of the judges was quite toothsome looking. Lmao I go up against my third round opponent who led with crobat and something else. I didn't pay much attention to this match as my eyes were preoccupied the whole time. I just know I won this one 3-0 as well though. It could have been a 4-0 but once again my eyes were focused on something far more interesting.

Round 4-
I was begining to think that this was getting a little too easy. All of the other members of my group had been knocked out by now (one by dtrain and the other by Sandman) I was begining to wonder when I'll begining to face against fellow smogoners. I began to talk to the people beside me in line. Then i get paired up with my opponent. I realized I had spoken too soon as the last person standing before me and the finalist lounge was none other than CCM30. I was begining to thinking this might be a problem. Boy was I right. He led with top and palkia. We both double protected on the opening turn. The next turn I win a crucial speed tie with my palkia to ko his palkia after some help from my ape. He brings in ogre. I contemplate what i should do and decided to protect with my ape and sacrifice my palkia. I bring in metagross here. I'm pretty darn scared at this point on whether or not he'll mach punch my ape or not. I take the risk of endeavoring his ogre. Lucky this pays off and I bring it down to 1 hp. From here I protect with ape and bp his ogre. I swap ape out for tina next turn to avoid his mach punch. I begin to clean up from here. I was so happy that i had managed to win this. I knew from that speed tie that I had gotten pretty lucky. I'm sorry about the hax bro.

I made it to the Finalist lounge!!!!!!!
I was very happy at this point. I knew I would be pretty content with losing at any time after this point, but I had my eyes set on winning a trip.
I still had 2 hours before the final rounds would begin, so I grabbed something to eat and chilled with my friends. I checked in periodically to see if any more smogoners had made it aswell. At 4:30 I went back into the Finalist Lounge as I was told to. Mike Liesk said that there were 45 of us so they were going to give 19 players byes while the other 26 had to battle an extra match. Purple ment a bye while green ment an extra match. Serendipity, bluecookies, and myself were all standing next to each other in line. WE ALL DREW GREEN CARDS TO OUR DISMAY -____-
Great this meant more work to do if I wanted to make it to top 4. The three of us seperate in order to make the chances of facing one another slimmer.

Top 64-
I was paired up against a guy who was japanese. Oh fuck I had to beat a japanese player to make top 32 now -__-
So I lead with my regular lead of Raika and Zakura while he sent out Mewtwo abomasnow. I heatwave and spacial rend his mewtwo as he switched abomasnow for ogre. He the spouts next turn as I finish mewtwo off and successfully endeavor his ogre. Everything from here is a blur but I know it’s my Raika and Zangetsu up against his toxicroak and near dead ogre. I bullet punch ogre and he kills ape off. It’s now 1 v 1. I was forced to use bullet punch over and over. After a low kick I was left with very little health. He protects to regain hp. I know I'm pretty much screwed at this point. I fire off a last bullet punch. He lives with a sliver of health. Then low kicks to kill my meta. I was pretty much heartbroken at this point... then I looked at my screen and started to wonder where the hell his toxicroak was. Then I saw a draw screen pop up. At this point I am very happy. I knew this ment his toxicroak was orbed and I would be given the win because of the recoil damage clause. He doesn't understand that he loses because of this and marriland is called over. After a long time of explaining the guy finally understand but is pretty much heartbroken. I felt really bad but it had to get over it as I to move on to the top 32 battle.

Top 32-
I met up with my opponent who was wearing a tetris shirt. He lead with Toxi and Palkia. I double protected to fend off against fake out and to scout for moves. The next turn he wins a crucial Speed tie and kills my Palkia. It’s pretty much downhill from there. The last two pokes were dialga and Abomasnow vs. My Habimaru and Zangetsu. I had tailwind up at this point. I hit his dialga with a Dragon claw to soften it up for explosion. I then blow up on him. Dialga goes down and abomasnow is dropping very quickly. Then bam right in my face he lives with a focus sash and scores a high input killing off my giratina in a single hit. =[
I wished my opponent good luck in his future rounds. I am then exited out of the playing area. My group and I stay for the remaining few rounds. We check out that judge some more and I download my eevee. Rukario and i chear cybertron on for the last few rounds. We left right after the last matched ended. I congratulated as many players as I can before leaving.

Props-
-Making it to top 32! Woot!
-making it to the finalist lounge
- hell making it past round one was an accomplishment xD
-All of my friends winning atleast round one
-Meeting soo many of you guys
-That hot ass judge in the purple area lmfao
-Raika for being so badass

Slops-
- some hax
-none of my buddies from my group being able to chill with me in the finalist lounge
- not getting as far as I would have liked =/
-No invite to Nats =[
-playing CCM30 in round 4
-having that japanese dude lose in top 64
-not being able to hit on the judge lmao
-cybertron for not winning it all lol

I had a great time at this year's NE qualifier. I was happy with my placing overall. If anything this will push me to go further in forecoming endeavors (lol). Thanks to the other users of this forum I had a great time. Hope to see you guys in the future. Too bad the falcon's didn't rep as well as we wanted too =/ o well we go this next year ;D Congrats to everyone that placed well =]

Congrats on the Top 32 placing. That match just killed me emotionally for like two and a half hours, lol. I didn't want to face Serendipity or anyone in front of me. I was really hoping you were some random Charizard user that got lucky three rounds in a row, lol.

Awesome job. We gotta hang next year. I'm sure the both of us will do much better in Gen 5 VGC. If we meet again, I'll make sure the hax goes in my favor, haha.

Congrats on the Top 32 placing. That match just killed me emotionally for like two and a half hours, lol. I didn't want to face Serendipity or anyone in front of me. I was really hoping you were some random Charizard user that got lucky three rounds in a row, lol.

Awesome job. We gotta hang next year. I'm sure the both of us will do much better in Gen 5 VGC. If we meet again, I'll make sure the hax goes in my favor, haha.
Thanks bro, and we definately have to chill at next years vgc. And hopefully we won't have to face each other until after we both make it to the finalist lounge. And do i really look like a charizard user? i seem to get that a lot lol.

Was fun meeting you, also funny how you lost to someone using the same kind of lead I was! Toxicroak Palkia was beast. It was a great experience and I have basically the same mindset as you about the VGC. I hope to see everyone again next year at the VGC!

Well I saw you and you looked pretty legit. I was just hoping you were bad and got lucky. I was happy when you seemed scared that you were facing someone from Smogon, but I guess I underestimated you.

I mean, the match was damn close. Really close. It didn't look it in the end, but it really came down to a few things. It was really good battling on your part, so kudos to you on that. Which is why we need to hang out in line and around the venue next year.

Friends? Yeah, you can't pair us up, put us with the Charizard randoms. xD

Was fun meeting you, also funny how you lost to someone using the same kind of lead I was! Toxicroak Palkia was beast. It was a great experience and I have basically the same mindset as you about the VGC. I hope to see everyone again next year at the VGC!
Yeah I learned how beast palkia and toxicroak are despite being so common. I hope next year all of the smogoners can hang with each other.

Well I saw you and you looked pretty legit. I was just hoping you were bad and got lucky. I was happy when you seemed scared that you were facing someone from Smogon, but I guess I underestimated you.
I mean, the match was damn close. Really close. It didn't look it in the end, but it really came down to a few things. It was really good battling on your part, so kudos to you on that. Which is why we need to hang out in line and around the venue next year.

Friends? Yeah, you can't pair us up, put us with the Charizard randoms. xD
I totally understand bro, I knew that I had gotten lucky in our battle from the second I rewatched it. You played very well and could have easily done well in the later round and we definately have to hang out next year. And hopefully the charizard randoms will be plentiful next year lol

Hey, nice meeting you bro! (I'm Cybertron hehe) Hope to see you next year =)
Yeah it was great to be able to see you in person and hopefully next year we can hang out some more. I'll be cheering for you in nats and worlds so make queens proud lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)