Serious Attack on Houses of Parliament in London

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-39355505

I'm not sure how long that link will last, but when we get a proper article about it I'll update if I remember

As someone who lives in London I am extremely shaken by this; not only has it happened within a 30-minute train ride of my house, but my Dad regularly visits for work and the stuff that I keep hearing about is just increasingly alarming and disturbing. This has hit extremely close to home for me.

Why the fuck do people feel the need to do shit like this? What could you possibly hope to gain by doing this kind of stuff?

This event really surprised me, given how Britain has done pretty well to foil planned terrorist attacks (from what I can gather, anyway).

I don't live in London but given how big this is it's pretty scary to think about the fact that this could easily happen in other heavy populated areas. The response to this was, at least, pretty fast, which is small comfort I guess. Parliament is on lockdown as well and someone has already died and several critical injuries, this is actual scary stuff. Also, isn't today the anniversary of the Brussels attack that killed 35 people? Might not be a coincidence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39355940 would probably work as a proper article link

Last edited:
Certainly shocking when the UK usually is a very secure place.
Yes, this shocked me a lot for this reason. Also, the police officer who was stabbed inside parliament has just died.

BBC said:
The BBC understands that a police officer who was stabbed in Parliament earlier on Wednesday has died.
Oh my shit, death toll is 4 now.

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
It's very unfortunate that such an attack took place and even more unfortunate for the 4 (as of the time im posting this) deaths. I don't know what to say other than that I'm pretty shaken by this, my condolences to both families. On a seperate note I really hope these attacks aren't misconstrued as the work of isis by the media before we have the assailant's identity since for all we know it could just be some nut.

Stay safe all you smogoners in London.

:( Another tragedy...sigh People can be terrible, and I hope this doesn't happen again. I read this on FB when a friend of mine checked safe from the attack.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
they have the identity, they're just choosing to not release it

what they're trying to figure out is whether he was alone or if this is a group plot

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
https://theintercept.com/2017/03/19...or-attack-will-be-an-opportunity-not-a-curse/

basic idea is the same for the far-right in any country after any terrorist attack.

"
CAN WE BREATHE a sigh of relief after federal judges blocked President Donald Trump’s discriminatory executive orders? For a moment we can, but we are just a terrorism attack away from the White House gaining a new pretext for its wrathful crackdown against Muslims and immigrants.

Among the alterations in American politics since Trump’s inauguration, this may be the most frightening one: a terror attack on U.S. soil will be used by the White House as an excuse for implementing an extra-legal agenda that could only be pushed through in a time of crisis. "

I.E all the cheeeto tweets about how the federal judiciary is making 'unprecedented' rulings against him. all the immigrant smearing. he is setting up a chance to declare a crisis in which he can restructure the judiciary. he is already changing the make-up of the judiciary, but following such a crisis:

"It wasn’t long ago that 9/11 was used as a pretext for invading Iraq. Although it was almost immediately clear that Iraq had nothing to do with the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld told President George W. Bush on the evening of September 11, “Part of our response maybe should be attacking Iraq. It’s an opportunity.” Just a few years earlier, Rumsfeld, along with Paul Wolfowitz and Dick Cheney, had signed a now-infamous letter calling for the removal of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein. The with-us-or-against-us atmosphere after 9/11 enabled them to carry out the task.

It has happened overseas, too. Vladimir Putin’s rise to power in Russia was accelerated by a series of mysterious bombings against apartment buildings across the country, and the bombings were so essential to consolidating Putin’s rule that he was suspected of organizing them. There was also, most famously, the Reichstag fire in 1933, in which the German Parliament burned to the ground, leading Adolf Hitler, the new chancellor, to warn that “there will be no mercy now. Anyone standing in our way will be cut down.”

The Trump administration has already begun laying the groundwork for extreme initiatives if — or more likely when — a terror attack occurs on U.S. soil and is tied to ISIS, al Qaeda or another Muslim group, according to civil liberties lawyers and activists. Under the guise of protecting national security, a blitz of presidential actions could target not just immigrants and Muslims but other minority groups as well as the media and the judiciary. These initiatives will be “more dire and much more severe” than Trump’s first executive order in late January against the citizens of seven Muslim-majority countries, according to Vince Warren, executive director of the Center for Constitutional Rights."

So what will we get? martial/crisis law? war on iran? stripped judiciary?

"The writer Mark Danner noted in a recent essay that the controversy over the first executive order may have served “the desire of the president and his advisers to stage a fight with a major institutional force not yet recumbent before him: the judiciary.” As Danner went on to explain, “the president’s assertion of his ‘unreviewable’ powers in the face of ‘so-called’ judges was not just absurd or ignorant but a bit of bait, establishing the basis for blaming the judiciary for any terrorist attack that was to come. On this he tweeted indefatigably and repeatedly.”

"In a way, the White House is like a pistol cocked to go off at the first touch. Warren, the head of the Center for Constitutional Rights, described the president’s early use of anti-Muslim executive orders as “a precursor, a mirror into what we’re going to be looking at” after a significant terror attack. Warren added, “I think the Trump administration will move by executive fiat for everything. It will create what’s essentially a constitutional crisis in the country.”

i would actually type something in this post, but the article basically contains like most of the things I usually write anyway.

british-born terrorist, not a refugee, but we are SURELY going to see refugees suffer the most from the policies that emerge after this attack.

also it's so coordinated with le pen's presidential campaign: the islamic extremists and the white supremacists all try to move together. the us gives money and arms to saudis to produce islamic terrorism to export to the west, which propels the rise of fascists through security politics.

the biggest lie is that the right wants to fight islamism, islamism is vital to their path to electoral victories, and they hate pluralistic theocracies like iran even though all the terrorists come from saudi arabia. theyre buddy buddy with the saudi terrorists, they love islamic fundamentalism because it justifies anything they want it to.

Its very interesting to see how Europe got used to such terrorist attacks over time.

None will even bother using picture filters, even though the french flag uses the same colors as the UK one (oh how convenient).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Its very interesting to see how Europe got used to such terrorist attacks over time.

None will even bother using picture filters, even though the french flag uses the same colors as the UK one (oh how convenient).
I don't think Europe has ever got used to terrorist attacks at all.
Plus, terrorists usually target France and Germany more than UK does.
I'd assume that the core EU members are more related to the existence of terrorists (e.g. funding them) instead of relatively unimportant countries like the UK.

PS: Which European country are you really from?
PS2: I'm British.

I don't think Europe has ever got used to terrorist attacks at all.
Plus, terrorists usually target France and Germany more than UK does.
I'd assume that the core EU members are more related to the existence of terrorists (e.g. funding them) instead of relatively unimportant countries like the UK.

PS: Which European country are you really from?
PS2: I'm British.
I wasn't born in Europe but my parents have diverse European heritage being second or first generation European immigrants themselves, i do spend my summer semisteer in southern Europe though and it would be really nice to never see the orange beaches of 15 again in my life.

As for who funds terrorist groups or destabilizes middle eastern and African countries, lets be real, right, you either plugged your head into the ground or dont have any idea where US and UK lies in the map.
But still Europe is guilty for letting us and its satellite doing whatever they want and even consenting by sending troops through NATO.

It wasn't always like that though, we even opposed the iraq war, good old days, just gives a hope that when the economy gets back on track there will be something to stand against the US imperialism in the region.

I wasn't born in Europe but my parents have diverse European heritage being second or first generation European immigrants themselves, i do spend my summer semisteer in southern Europe though and it would be really nice to never see the orange beaches of 15 again in my life.

As for who funds terrorist groups or destabilizes middle eastern and African countries, lets be real, right, you either plugged your head into the ground or dont have any idea where US and UK lies in the map.
But still Europe is guilty for letting us and its satellite doing whatever they want and even consenting by sending troops through NATO.

It wasn't always like that though, we even opposed the iraq war, good old days, just gives a hope that when the economy gets back on track there will be something to stand against the US imperialism in the region.
Lack of identity is what drives 3rd generation immigrants into religious extremism.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

What is the point of telling a legitimate British citizen that she doesn't know where UK is on the map?

Who funds ISIS?
Clearly it was Wikileaks that says at least Hilary Clinto herself funds ISIS.

Various Chinese sources also say that EU countries funds ISIS.

Oh wait, you probably don't know how to read Chinese.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)