1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Auditioning to Commentate at VGCs. Share some practice videos?

Discussion in 'VGC' started by Odinwolf, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Odinwolf

Odinwolf

So I've commentated professional gaming events in the past but never Pokémon. Been chatting with someone at TPCi about doing commentary at the 2014 events, so I need to submit some audition videos to prove my chops. Since Smogon tends to train up some pretty awesome players and brew up some interesting teams, I was hoping some of you could share some VGC2014 format battles that I could use for practice.

I'm also curious about what kinds of things you want to hear from your commentators. If you've watched previous VGC events, what do you like about their commentary and what do you think isn't working? Do you have favorite commentators from previous events? Does their commentary help you enjoy the videos any more than if you watched them raw? Any advice you want to share would be great.
  2. Mr Plow

Mr Plow

Sorry, but very few people do VGC and post on Smogon. I would try Nugget Bridge; they are more VGC oriented. But in terms of what I would like to hear, I can obviously answer that. Commentary does make the battle more enjoyable and it really helps if you are a little enthusiastic but not like the stereotypical South American Soccer announcers who go over the top. I personally do not like it when commentators say what the other team should have done, but saying stuff like " That was a big blow" does entertain me. Please remember I am just one person, but I thought I should share my input. Good luck in auditioning!
    JRank and lucariojr like this.
  3. TheMantyke

TheMantyke ᴵ ᶰᵉᵉᵈ ᵃ ᵐᵒᶰˢᵗᵉʳ ᵗᵒ ᶜᶫᵒᵇᵇᵉʳ ᵗʰᵃᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ ᴷᶦʳᵇʸ
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Team Rater Alumnus
    VGC Leader

If you're looking for some good commentary to model off of, evan and ray rizzo had some great commentary during the Apex 2013 Pokemon tournament. They were well informed about the format and were able to comment on why certain moves were made and provide some judgement on certain discissions made, but not to the point where it became annoying. Check out some of their commentary on VGBootCamp

As for what NOT to do, don't do what the gamespot announcers did and be hilariously wrong about everything you say.
    BlakDragon, JRank and Odinwolf like this.
  4. Odinwolf

Odinwolf

Hey thanks for the feedback. I'm actually an old-school Melee player so I definitely looked up the Apex series pokemon stream when I was researching this. Frankly, I think they are far, far superior to the guys currently doing commentary for the VGCs. Just restating what is happening in the game and emphasizing "is" in every sentence does not make you a quality commentator. Stuff like "And he IS going to get off the earthquake" repeated over and over grates on my nerves so bad watching the VGC videos.

My mic is not currently working so I'm a bit delayed on sending in my audition, but I'll post it up here once its done so I can get some feedback. Hopefully someone around here can post a video for me to work from though so I don't have to make my own with whatever jank team I throw together for a wifi battle.
  5. Synre

Synre
    is a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

You might wanna work on that research a little since it's the same PBP commentator at Apex as the one "currently doing VGC" (at least in the sense of having done it most recently), and while Ray is probably better than I am at color, those are all PBP complaints

It's also probably worth pointing out the random Gamespot people they had in 2012 are not the people who are "currently doing VGC" or people who ever did Pokemon outside of that one event (and it showed)
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. KingWein

KingWein

My $.02: Research on YouTube various PBP commentators outside of Pokemon. While you are watching the event, listen and feel the commentator(s) voice over an exciting play, mistake and so forth. Then, practice on various YouTube Pokemon Replay battles (or "live"), muting the sound and trying your own voice in them. Record yourself and analyze what sounds good and what might need improving. Most importantly, research on various Pokemon and movesets that fit the competition.
    Hulavuta likes this.
  7. tennisace

tennisace brock you like a hurricane
    is a member of the Site Staffis a Super Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
    Twitter Head

Honestly the if I'm listening to a stream about video games, I'd rather listen to someome extremely knowledgeable about the metagame than someone who sounds as polished as a TV news anchor. Obviously you'd love to have both, but for you I'd suggest you learn the metagame as much as possible rather than trying to just sound good.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)