Aurorus

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Stone Edge?

Did the corrections to the best of my ability, most of the TO and SD are much less jokey now.
Bulky chops, the one I referred to, doesn't run Stone Edge :s
And tbh I don't always run Stone Edge on offensive chops anyways, since Acro / EQ is really all it needs most of the time and you can afford to run other stuff in that slot.

In the Overview, saying "mathematically the worst typing" is a bit overspecific and I'd probably go as far to say its the worst typing defensively in the game (which if I'm not mistaken it is).

Fix the formatting please.

In team options, beef up all of them a bit more and specify what Pokemon like getting their checks and counters lured in with Aurorus's coverage moves, for example, special Samurott likes Lanturn smacked with Earth Power (toss in another example or two but thats the general idea). Add late game cleaners and setup mons to the team options of the cb set.
What are your thoughts on the CB set in general? I'm having a hard time seeing a good justification for its use over Specs or Stealth Rock as it doesn't have any good physical coverage moves that are better or more useful than the special ones, the only positive is that Return is stronger than Hyper Voice. Honestly wouldn't be opposed to moving that to OO, any other input would be nice on that.

Other Options:
Remove Ancientpower, all of its targets are hit hard enough by Stone Edge.
Echoed Voice sounds awful, remove that too please. It's just way too slow and frail (in terms of typing) to use it well.
Is Calm Mind worth mentioning at all? If you want to mention it for the sake of not to use it, then yeah, but it seems pretty bad since Aurorus is suited to a hit and run style and effective Calm Mind users generally have good typing and bulk, which Aurorus doesn't at all.

Anyways, this looks better, do the above and then you can write this up.

QC 2/3

edit: another reason to potentially drop the band set is because unlike the special set its not a reliable/safe switch into fletchinder because its crippled by will-o-wisp while the special set doesn't exactly mind getting burned apart from the residual damage

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
edit: another reason to potentially drop the band set is because unlike the special set its not a reliable/safe switch into fletchinder because its crippled by will-o-wisp while the special set doesn't exactly mind getting burned apart from the residual damage
Aurorus can learn Facade, so mention that in moves if you're worried about burn.

write this up tcw, and ill give you 3/3

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know this is more knitpicky than anything, but isn't the etiquette for analyses to write Return over Frustration? I think its part of the "style guide" and is there for consistency, because it is easier to obtiain on-cartridge, and to highlight how using Frustration>Return is a lot like running 0 attack IVs on a special attacker - an optional thing that comes down to personal preference and will very rarely make a difference, if ever - and to imply that Frustration is better than Return is somewhat misleading the reader considering that it only deals with 255 happiness Ditto variants while losing to 0 happiness variants.

Once again, sorry for knitpicking. I just looked in here and saw that and I thought I'd point you out on the etiquette for this kind of thing.

So that there is some substance to this post beyond knitpicking, may I suggest that you give Stone Edge a moves mention on the specs set as it allows Aurorus to OHKO bulky Cryogonal after Stealth Rock, and if you implement this make sure to say that 36 EVs should be moved from SpA to Atk (retaining modest nature) if you run this set to ensure that you OHKO bulky Cryo after rocks every time. I would suggest this on the SR set as well if it weren't strapped for moveslots already, so I'll just suggest it for the specs set.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
ahhhhhhhhhhh, all you (BAN ME PLEASE)s thought I'd let this die. DIDN'T YA!?!?! don't lie. You thought you'd for sure 100% have to reassign, that I had lost interest, etc,,, well ha.

Nothing comes between me and my love for Ice-type Pokémon! Aurorus is my bae, and I'd never let anyone else put their filthy hands all over her analysis ~!

also ROFL at the fact the Aurorus on the calc still has thunderbolt, what the actual fuck.

also RIP to all the sneasel mentions I had to remove, lol

Also, on that note, rip to sneasel and gallade, dont really care but it wasnt nice knowing ya! have fun with typh in bl3 :]

also idk if Montsegur still wants to give 3/3 but w/e ill tag him

also tagging hollywood cause cute, Kiyo cause yall better be hitting up the gym, i dont want the plane youre taking here in October to fall outta the sky, boltsandbombers cause i finally wrote this : ), Raseri for the same reason as bolts, Can-Eh-Dian cause in only like 2 months we get to hang irl, and uuhhhhh, The Goomy cause the new splatoon map is hella dope, glad I got to play it before you .
Blast for being the unsung hero.
NV for being cute, Lyto for adding me to the mk8 pp, been fun so far meeting legit peeps, and uhh Zarel for making showdown!

and last but not least, @aurorus for being amazing.

Stay Fresh ~

Last edited:
nice memes

idt psychic would be on the last set at all, I'd make it Ancient Power / Frost breath. Yama isnt common enough to warrant its own slot

pyroar isnt a set up sweeper either :)
you keep spelling pelipper wrong too lol
no i am a dinosaur here me roar pls, ill let you keep it in there once xd
still a sneasel mention in the RP set

the writing seems kind of rushed in a few places so if you could expand the usage tips a little bit I would be very happy, the info you have is good, just a bit more detail in how to effectively use aurorus would be great!

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I know that there were a ton of sets but your usage tips really tell me nothing, spruce them up a bit before i give 3/3

Here's a guest appearance by Aurorus in GCN's "Dino Dino Jungle" from 2003:

[OVERVIEW]

Aurorus is blessed with two amazing abilities that allow it to preform many different roles. Refrigerate boosts Aurorus's Normal-type moves to frightening power, and Ice-type attacks are already rather hard to switch into in NU. Snow Warning allows Aurorus to act as not only a fantastic weather supporter on Hail teams i kind of think hail teams are irrelevant you need to mention that its a great catch-all check to weather teams, but also a nice suicide lead capable of breaking Focus Sashes without attacking. It also cripples Pokemon such as Gourgiest, Musharna, and Vileplume who rely on weather-based recovery moves for healing. In addition, Aurorus has access to fantastic coverage options for both physical and special attacking sets, which makes switching into it safely very difficult. Aurorus also acts as a great offensive check to some Flying-types in the tier, specifically the ever dangerous Fletchinder; as despite its lackluster typing, its bulky enough due to its high HP stat to take most strong neutral hits. Unfortunately, Aurorus boasts one of the worst possible defensive typings. Not only is Aurorus weak to Stealth Rock, it's also weak to common elemental attacks such as Grass, Water, and Ground, as well as having a nasty 4x weakness to both Fighting and Steel. Sadly, Aurorus is also rather slow, even with a Choice Scarf equipped.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Hyper Voice / Blizzard
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Freeze-Dry
move 4: Psychic
item: Choice Specs
ability: Refrigerate / Snow Warning
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hyper Voice is the most powerful STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. It also allows Aurorus to by-pass Substitutes due to Hyper Voice's classification as a sound move. I am a dinosaur, hear me roar. If Snow Warning is the chosen ability, Blizzard becomes Aurorus' STAB move of choice; which hits roughly as hard as Refrigerate Hyper Voice after factoring in end-of-turn residual damage from Hail. Earth Power is fantastic coverage alongside Ice-type STAB, as it allows Aurorus to hit any Steel- or Fire-types, such as Magmortar, Klinklang, and Mawile, super effectively. Freeze-Dry is used to hit Water-types such as Prinplup and Lanturn super effectively. Psychic allows Aurorus to 2HKO Hariyama after Stealth Rock, which is noteworthy as Thick Fat Hariyama is one of the most common Ice-type resists in NU.

Set Details
========
Choice Specs are used to hit as hard as possible off the bat. Aurorus is generally used as a hit-and-run type of attacker, so being able to change moves isn't as crucial to its success. The choice between Snow Warning and Refrigerate comes down to residual damage by the hail, PP comparison between STAB moves, and Refrigerate's ability to abuse Hyper Voice and hit through Substitutes. Refrigerate is the better choice if you dislike constant Hail damage racking up on the rest of your teammates, are worried about Blizzard's measly 8 PP running low, or enjoy being able to bypass Substitutes with Hyper Voice. However, if Aurorus' teammates don't mind the cold (as it's never bothered them anyway), Snow Warning is also viable as it disrupts weather-based healing moves such as Synthesis and Moonlight and is a pain for opposing weather teams. EV spread allows Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock five times, while maintaining maximum attacking power and Speed. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Timid nature because it would not outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost of power provided by a Modest nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Bring it in on resisted hits such as Fletchinder and Swellow, or against Pokemon that can't do very much back such as Xatu such as? Aurorus really should be brought in on a uturn / volt switch on something that it forces switches on. Proceed to click the appropriate coverage move, or just fire off a Hyper Voice if the opponent lacks Ice-type resists. If your opponent has an offensive threat that Aurorus checks such as?, be sure to preserve it and keep entry hazards off your side of the field. Running this set on a team with plenty of Volt Switch and U-turn users is awesome to grant Aurorus ample free switchins to launch off Hyper Voices.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Sawk in particular can smash through defensive cores with Aurorus, and especially pair well with Snow Warning Aurorus who nerfs the recovery of popular Fighting resists. General set-up sweepers such as Fletchinder, Ludicolo, and Pyroar enjoy Aurorus's ability to soften up walls throughout thge battle, making sweeping late-game a lot easier. Being able to keep Stealth Rock off the field is crucial to Aurorus, as it is actually quite bulky at full HP even with no investment; however due to its hit-and-run style, losing 25% of its HP every time it switches in is very detrimental. Some viable entry hazard removers include Kabutops, Pelliper, and Prinplup.

[SET]
name: Stealth Rock
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Blizzard
move 3: Earth Power
move 4: Freeze-Dry / Encore
item: Focus Sash
ability: Snow Warning
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Stealth Rock is very nice to have on Aurorus, as it forces plenty of switches against slower Pokemon, which gives it ample opportunities to set them up. It also gives Hail teams a Hail setter and Stealth Rock user in one slot, which is fantastic for Hail teams cramped teamslots. With Snow Warning as the chosen ability, Blizzard becomes Aurorus' most powerful and reliable STAB move. Freeze-Dry hits Water-types such as Mantine, Prinplup, and Pelliper super effectively, preventing them from Defogging on Aurorus. Earth Power hits Fire- and Steel-types such as Klinklang, Magmortar, and Mawile, who otherwise wall Aurorus' Ice STABs. Encore can also be used effectively on the lead set, allowing Aurorus to lock opponent's Pokemon into their first move, and let Aurorus react appropriately. Stone Edge could be used as well, as it allows Aurorus to OHKO Cryogonal who would otherwise be able to spin away the Stealth Rock. However, Encore and Freeze-Dry are a lot more effective overall as Cryogonal is very rare and not worth dedicating a moveslot for.

Set Details
========
Snow Warning allows Aururos to beat lead Archeops in one turn, and Crustle before it can get off a second attack barring a Custap Berry, meaning Aurorus works as a fantastic counter lead to common entry hazard leads. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Timid nature because it would not outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost of power provided by a Modest nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Aurorus can OHKO lead Archeops on the first turn to limit it to one action. Freeze Dry allows it to scare away Defoggers and deter Xatu switch-ins. Aurorus has a really good matchup versus most opposing entry hazard leads and entry hazard removers, making it a very effective lead Pokemon. should it be allowed to die after it gets rocks up? or.... there needs to be more here

Team Options
========
Offensive Pokemon that appreciate both Stealth Rock and Ice-resists worn down include Jynx, Fletchinder, Scyther, and Artincuo. Additonal, more general offensive teammates who appreciate early Stealth Rock include Tauros, Magmortar, Mismagius, Pyroar, Kabutops, and Pinsir. While Aurorus matches up well against Lead hazard setters, it's still a wise idea to bring an offensive hazard remover to help support Aurorus if it's able to switch out and keep its Focus Sash intact. A fantastic example is Kabutops claydol .

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Blizzard
move 2: Freeze-Dry
move 4: Stone Edge
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 20 Atk / 244 SpA / 244 Spe
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Blizzard becomes Aurorus' most powerful and reliable STAB move when using Snow Warning. Freeze-Dry hits Water-types such as Ludicolo and Poliwrath super effectively. Earth Power hits Fire- and Steel-types such as Klingklang and Mawile, who otherwise wall Aurorus' Ice STABs. Stone Edge grants Aurorus the ability to OHKO Cryogonal, Articuno, and Jynx, while doing considerable damage to Regice and Lapras - all Pokemon who otherwise give Aurorus trouble. Psychic is also an option in the last slot, as it can 3HKO Hariyama, and 2HKO it after 2 rounds of Stealth Rock + Hail.

Set Details
========
244 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are needed to outspeed base 105 and 110 Speed Pokemon such as Archeops, Pyroar, Mismagius, and Scyther, all of which are incredibly important to be faster than.
20 Attack EVs allow Aurorus to OHKO Cryogonal, Jynx and 0 HP Articuno with Stone Edge, all of which can take on Aurorus otherwise, while still allowing Aurorus to outspeed positive natured base 110 Speed Pokemon. Snow Warning allows Scarf Aurorus to beat weather sweepers such as Victreebel, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Exeggutor by replacing the current weather condition with Hail, then subsequently outspeeding them.

Usage Tips
========
THIS POKEMON IS HERE TO STOP WEATHER TEAMS Bring it in on a weather sweeper whom is currently in the process of sweeping your team, then select the appropriate move, or hell, maybe even predict a switch if it's that kinda game. Then, pat yourself on the back and be thankful you had this Aurorus. This set is best used as a revenge killer, since if Aurorus switches into Ludicolo as it uses Rain Dance, Snow Warning gets erased and Aurorus will get KOed. Despite being most effective at revenge killing weather sweepers in particular, it's also just as effective at revenge killing general boosting sweepers late-game, barring priority moves.

Team Options
========
THIS POKEMON IS HERE TO STOP WEATHER TEAMS Fighting-types such as Sawk and Hariyama really appreciate that their common counters, Musharna and Vileplume, have their recovery cut in half during Hail. Having Hail active makes these Pokemon much easier to wear down, as they struggle to stay healthy, so try to bait them in early game to get them worn down quickly. Aurorus can actually sweep rather easily late game once Ice-type resists are worn down. Pairing Aurorus with Pokemon such as Nasty Plot Jynx or Choice Band Sneasel can result in a late game Blizzard Sweep; however, with more than once Ice-type on the team, an entry hazard remover is a necessity.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Frustration
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Zen Headbutt
item: Choice Band
ability: Refrigerate
nature: Adamant
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe WHERE IS FACADE????????

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Frustration is the most powerful physical STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. It's Aurorus most powerful move, and is easily spammable as it has no drawbacks. Earthquake is fantastic coverage alongside Ice-type STAB, as it allows Aurorus to hit any Steel- or Fire-types, such as Magmortar, Klingklang, and Magneton, super effectively. It also allows Aurorus to hit Lanturn super effectively. Zen Headbutt allows Aurorus to 2HKO Hariyama and Poliwrath, both of which would otherwise wall it. Stone Edge is used to hit Water-types hard such as Prinplup, with the two most popular defensive Water-types, Pelliper and Mantine, being hit super effectively. In general Stone Edge is the best neutral coverage Aurorus has for the fourth slot.

Set Details
========
Choice Band is used to hit as hard as possible off the bat. Aurorus is generally used as a hit-and-run type of attacker, so being able to change moves isn't as crucial to its success. EV spread allows Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock five times, while maintaining maximum attacking power and Speed. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Jolly nature because it would not outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost of power provided by an Adamant nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Many people expect Aurorus to be using special moves, so you can use this to your advantage by luring in and disposing of problematic Ice-resists for a teammate, or by just OHKOing a Pokemon that your opponent thought was going to be safe. Bring it in on resisted hits such as Fletchinder and Swellow, or against Pokemon that can't do very much back such as Xatu. Proceed to click the appropriate coverage move, or just fire off a Frustration if the opponent lacks Ice-type resists.

Team Options
========
Being able to keep Stealth Rock off of the field is crucial to Aurorus, as it is actually quite bulky at full HP even with no investment; however due to its hit-and-run style, losing 25% of its HP every time it switches in is very detrimental. Some viable entry hazard removers include Kabutops, Pelliper, and Prinplup. This set is less of a switch into Feltchinder due to it getting crippled by Will-O-Wisp; therefore, it would be a wise idea to pair it with additional Fletchinder checks. Uturn teams

[SET]
name: Rock Polish
move 1: Rock Polish
move 2: Hyper Voice / Nature Power
move 4: Earth Power
item: Life Orb

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Rock Polish attempts to remedy Aurorus' low Speed stat and give it the chance to sweep the opponents' team with Aurorus' power and coverage moves. Hyper Voice is the most powerful STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. It also allows Aurorus to by-pass Substitutes due to Hyper Voice's classification as a sound move. I am a dinosaur, hear me roar. Nature Power is also very useful on a Rock Polish set, as the lack of power is less crucial when cleaning up late game, and being able to bypass Sucker Punch from the likes of Cacturne, Kangaskhan, or Pawniard can be huge. Earth Power is fantastic coverage alongside Ice-type STAB, as it allows Aurorus to hit any Steel- or Fire-types, such as Magmortar, Klingklang, and Magneton, super effectively. Freeze-Dry is used to hit all Water-types super effectively, as well as Pokemon that commonly wall Aurorus such as Pelliper and Mantine 4x effectively. WHERE IS THE THUNDERBOLT I SWEAR IT ISN'T REDUNDANT COVERAGE OR NOTHIN

bolts edit: -_-

Set Details
========
Life Orb and a Modest nature are used to give Aurorus as much attacking power as possible. Refrigerate is used to abuse Hyper Voice's Substitute-bypassing properties, and greater PP than Blizzard; as well as not having Aurorus' main STAB move be weather-dependent. Hyper Voice's immediate damage is preferable to Blizzard's chip damage as Rock Polish Aurorus cannot afford to wait for Hail to claim the KOs. An much slower, bulkier spread of 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe allows you to outspeed Sneasel and below after a Rock Polish, and grants you significantly more bulk. However, it leaves you vulnerable to Scarfed Sawk, Lilligant, and Magneton, all of which you beat with 252 Speed.

Usage Tips
========
Wait until late-game when anything on you opponent's team carrying priority moves that Aurorus is susceptible to is knocked out, and try to bring in Aurorus on either a slow U-turn or Volt Switch from a teammate, or on a Flying-type such as Swellow or Fletchinder. This is really sparce

Team Options
========
Pokemon that buy free turns for teammates are obviously very helpful when trying to give Aurorus a free turn to set up. A great example is Yawn, U-turn Uxie. Wallbreakers such as Choice Band Sawk, Magmortar, and Mixed Samurott can help weaken the opposing team throughout the game, giving Aurorus a much easier time sweeping once it's setup. Pokemon that wear down common problematic priority users such as Kabutops, Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Samurott. Garbodor does this job nicely, as Rocky Helmet plus Aftermath damage, plus the residual damage from all the entry hazards it sets up can eliminate the opponent's priority allowing Aurorus to sweep freely. Ferroseed also does an okay job at beating the non-Fighting-types, and it also handily beats Kabutops, another huge problem that Garbordor struggles to beat.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Nature Power, which turns into Tri-Attack in battles, is a viable option on the Choice Specs set for its 20% chance to inflict a status condition, as well as its classification as a non-attacking move, causing Sucker Punch to fail. Icy Rock on the lead set is the better option if you're opting to use Aurorus as a weather setter on a Hail team, as it prolongs the Hail to a much more usable duration. However, on an offensive team where Aurorus' goal is to break through opposing leads and set up Stealth Rock, Focus Sash is crucially important. Ancient Power is a possibility to prevent Aurorus from being walled by the likes of Articuno, Cryogonal, and Jynx; however, these Pokemon are much more rare than the targets of other coverage moves, and therefore it's less optimal to carry Ancient Power. Echoed Voice is a cool move when used by Aurorus, as if the opponent does not act quickly and force Aurorus out, it can quickly become a "runaway-train" scenario. However, Aurorus is too slow to make good use of the move, and it starts off very weak, even with the Refrigerate boost. Physical Rock Polish is a possibility, but it faces stiff competition from Shell Smashers in the tier such as Huntail, Carracosta, and Barbaracle. Calm Mind plus three attacks is also a possible set, however Aurorus is too vulnerable to revenge killing and too slow to pull it off effectively, and should be used as a "hit and run" Pokemon with Choice Specs to boost its power, not Calm Mind. On that note, Substitute plus Calm Mind seems like a decent option, as it removes Aurorus's vulnerability to revenge killing; however, this leaves Aurorus with not enough coverage to hit everything effectively, and will also most likely be forced out. Lastly, it needs to be mentioned that Thunderbolt is never stronger than Freeze-Dry versus Water- or Flying-types thanks to Freeze-Dry getting STAB bonus; therefore, never use Thunderbolt on Aurorus, it's terrible.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Aurorus's poor defensive typing, it is not hard to revenge kill prior to setting up a Rock Polish. Pokemon such as Sawk, Ludicolo, Klinklang, Archeops, Kangaskhan, and Samurott can all revenge kill Aurorus easily.

**Priority**: Aurorus is weak to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch, so it's rather easy to revenge kill even if Aurorus has already set up a Rock Polish. Common users of these moves include Gurdurr, Hariyama, Basculin, Carracosta, and Samurott.

Put in SuperEffective Attacks here as its quite weak to quite a number of things.

**Bulky Pokemon that Resist Ice**: Thick Fat Hariyama only has to fear Psychic from the Specs set, and can retaliate with either a Close Combat or Bullet Punch. The banded set gives it more trouble, but it can still survive any hit and threaten to OHKO back with Bullet Punch. Offensive Articuno can switch into any of Aurorus' attacks barring Stone Edge, and can Pressure stall Aurorus out of PP. Cryogonal can shrug off any hit special Aurorus throws at it, and can stall it out with Toxic and Recover; however, it has to be wary of the physical sets.
Edit: Oh I posted when i got internet back before i saw ras, still fix my stuff
bolts edit: I changed the tag back to quality control because there is still more content here to fix before it's ready for GP

Last edited by a moderator:

Malley

Dominachu
Checking

e: Okay, I just finished this then my computer died. And the check is gone. So, shit. I'll try to do it again as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Malley

Dominachu
Add
Remove/Change
(Comment)
(AC) = Add Comma, (RC) = Remove Comma, (AH) = Add Hyphen, etc.

[OVERVIEW]

Aurorus is blessed with two amazing abilities that allow it to perform many different roles. Refrigerate boosts Aurorus's Normal-type moves to frightening levels of power, and Ice-type attacks are already rather hard to switch into in NU, (AC) while . (RP) Snow Warning allows Aurorus to disrupt other weathers such as R rain or and S sun, act as a fantastic weather supporter on H hail teams, and perform the role of a suicide lead capable of breaking Focus Sashes without attacking, (AC) and . It also cripples Pokemon such as Gourgiest Gourgeist, Musharna, and Vileplume who that rely on weather-based recovery moves for healing. In addition, Aurorus has access to fantastic coverage options for both physical and special attacking sets, which makes switching into it safely very difficult. Aurorus also acts as a great offensive check to some Flying-types in the tier, specifically the ever-dangerous (AH) Fletchinder; as despite its lackluster typing, due to its high HP stat it's bulky enough to take most strong neutral hits. Unfortunately, Aurorus boasts (Sounds positive) possesses one of the worst possible defensive typings. Not only is Aurorus weak to Stealth Rock, it's also weak to common elemental attacks offensive types such as Grass, Water, and Ground, as well as having a nasty 4x weakness to both Fighting and Steel. Sadly, Aurorus is also rather slow, even with a Choice Scarf equipped.

[SET]
move 4: Frost Breath

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hyper Voice is the most powerful STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. It also allows Aurorus to by-pass (RH) Substitutes due to Hyper Voice's classification as a sound move. I am a dinosaur, hear me roar. (Not in a generally straight analysis) If Snow Warning is the chosen ability, Blizzard becomes is Aurorus's main STAB move of choice; which it hits roughly as hard as Refrigerate Hyper Voice after factoring in end-of-turn residual damage from H hail. Earth Power is gives fantastic coverage alongside Hyper Voice or Blizzard Ice-type STAB, as it allows Aurorus to hit any Steel- or and Fire-types, (RC) such as Magmortar, Klinklang, and Mawile, (RC) super effectively. Freeze-Dry is used to hit Water-types such as Prinplup and Lanturn super effectively. The last move is up to preference, as Aurorus only really needs its first 3 three moves to be effective. Frost Breath is useful in the last slot to break opposing Calm Mind users Pokemon such as Uxie or Musharna even once they have boosted their Special Defense after a few boosts. Psychic gets a special mention as it allows Aurorus to 2HKO Assault Vest Hariyama after Stealth Rock, which is noteworthy as Thick Fat Hariyama is one of the most common Ice-type resists resistances in NU. Sleep Talk could can be used in the last slot to turn Aurorus into a Sleep-(RH) absorber for the team. Lastly, Ancient Power could can be used to hit Ice-type Pokemon such as Articuno and Cryogonal harder, as well as offering a chance for boosts.

Set Details
========
Choice Specs are is used to hit as hard as possible off the bat. Aurorus is generally used as a hit-and-run type of attacker, so being able to change moves isn't as crucial to its success. The choice between Snow Warning and Refrigerate comes down to residual damage by the from hail, Hyper Voice's superior PP PP comparison between STAB moves, and Refrigerate's ability to abuse Hyper Voice's ability to and hit through Substitutes. Refrigerate is the better choice if you dislike constant are concerned about the rest of the team taking H hail damage racking up on the rest of your teammates, are worried about or about Blizzard's measly 8 PP running low, or enjoy being able want to bypass Substitutes with Hyper Voice. However, if Aurorus's teammates don't mind hail damage the cold (as it's never bothered them anyway), Snow Warning is also viable as it can be run to disrupts weather-based healing moves, (AC) such as Synthesis and Moonlight, (AC) and is a pain for opposing weather teams. The given EV spread allows Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock five times, while maintaining having maximum attacking power and Speed. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Timid nature because it would not outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost of in power provided by a Modest nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Bring it in on resisted hits such as Fletchinder and Swellow, Bring Aurorus in on free switches or on weak or resisted hits or against from Pokemon that can't do very much back seriously threaten it, (AC) such as Xatu, (AC) Fletchinder, and Swellow (Unless Aurorus outspeeds the Pokemon using the resisted hit, which given its low Speed would be notable, bringing Aurorus in on a resisted hit does not help it much unless the Pokemon using the resisted hit cannot threaten it anyway). Proceed to click the appropriate coverage move, or just fire off a Hyper Voice if the opponent lacks Ice-type resists. Use Hyper Voice liberally, as very little can switch into it repeatedly. If your opponent has an offensive threat that Aurorus is needed to check checks, be sure to preserve it Aurorus and keep entry hazards off your side of the field. Running this set on a team with plenty of Volt Switch and U-turn users is awesome to grant Aurorus ample free switchins to launch off Hyper Voices. (This goes in Team Options)

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Sawk in particular can smash through defensive cores with pair well with Aurorus to break defensive cores, and especially pair well with Snow Warning Aurorus who which nerfs limits the recovery of popular Fighting-type resists resistances. General set-up Setup sweepers such as Fletchinder, Ludicolo, and Pyroar enjoy Aurorus's ability to soften up walls throughout thge battle, making and make sweeping late-game a lot easier. Being able to keep Keeping Stealth Rock off the field is crucial to for Aurorus, as it is actually quite bulky at full HP even with no investment; however due to its hit-and-run style, losing 25% of its HP every time it switches in is very detrimental. Some viable entry hazard removers include Kabutops, Pelipper, and Prinplup.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Stealth Rock is very nice to have on Aurorus, Aurorus finds ample opportunities to set up Stealth Rock, as it forces plenty of switches against slower Pokemon , which gives it ample opportunities to set them up. It also gives H hail teams a H hail setter and Stealth Rock user in one slot, (RC) which is fantastic for Hail teams cramped teamslots. With Snow Warning as the chosen ability, Blizzard becomes is Aurorus's most powerful and reliable STAB move. Freeze-Dry hits Water-types such as Mantine, Prinplup, and Pelipper super effectively, preventing them from Defogging on against Aurorus. Earth Power hits Fire- and Steel-types such as Klinklang, Magmortar, and Mawile, who otherwise wall Aurorus ' Ice STABs, (AC) super effectively. Encore can be effective when Aurorus is used as a lead also be used effectively on the lead set (It is not clear what the "lead set" is. Initially I assumed that it was the same thing as the Stealth Rock set, but some things you say later - the bit about Icy Rock is the only specific I can remember without going back and checking - suggest that it is separate. If the lead set is just this set but used as a lead, do not talk about it as a "set". If it is a distinct set in itself, it should be labelled as such somewhere), allowing Aurorus to lock opponent's Pokemon into their first move, and let Aurorus react appropriately (This is too loose a description. The first half just describes how Encore works, and the second does not really say anything. Talk about the practical things Encore can help with, such as stopping anti-leads from setting up and generating free switches). Stone Edge could can be used as well, as it allows Aurorus to OHKO Cryogonal, (AC) who which would otherwise be able to spin away the Stealth Rock. However, Encore and Freeze-Dry are generally more effective as being able to beat Cryogonal is a very situational benefit a lot more effective overall as Cryogonal is very rare and not worth dedicating a moveslot for.

Set Details
========
The hail damage from Snow Warning allows Aururos to beat lead Archeops and Crustle in one turn, and Crustle before it can get off a second attack barring a Custap Berry, meaning Aurorus works as a fantastic counter lead to common entry hazard leads. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Timid nature because it would not outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost of in power provided by a Modest nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Aurorus can OHKO lead Archeops on the first turn to limit it to one action. Freeze Dry allows it to scare away Defoggers and Blizzard deters Xatu from switching in. Aurorus has a really good matchup versus most opposing entry hazard leads and entry hazard removers, making it a very effective lead Pokemon. (These are more like Set Details than Usage Tips. Rephrase them as instructions and put them in the context of actual battles, as you have done with the other Usage Tips sections. Something like "Use Aurorus as a lead to beat other leads, such as Archeops, and also to keep out Defoggers with Freeze-Dry and Xatu with Blizzard") An additional thing to keep in mind is that it might can be worth preserving a low HP Aurorus even if it is at low HP, (AC) just because as Snow Warning can potentially break Focus Sashes or Sturdy later.

Team Options
========
Offensive Pokemon that appreciate both Stealth Rock and Ice-resists worn down Aurorus's ability to set up Stealth Rock and wear down Ice-type resistances include Jynx, Fletchinder, Scyther, (Why do Fletchinder and Scyther appreciate resistances to Ice worn down?) and Artincuo Articuno. Additonal, more general Other offensive teammates who appreciate early Stealth Rock include Tauros, Magmortar, Mismagius, Pyroar, Kabutops, and Pinsir. While Aurorus matches up well against Lead lead hazard setters, it's still a wise idea to bring an offensive hazard remover to help support Aurorus, (AC) in the event that if it's able to switch out and keep its Focus Sash intact. A fantastic Good examples is are Kabutops or and Claydol.

[SET]
evs: 20 Atk / 244 SpA / 244 Spe
nature: Timid (Nature goes above EVs. Also, just checking, definitely Timid over Naive or Hasty?)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Blizzard becomes is Aurorus's most powerful and reliable STAB move when using Snow Warning. Freeze-Dry hits Water-types such as Ludicolo and Poliwrath super effectively. Earth Power hits Fire- and Steel-types such as Magmortar, (AC) (You can't really talk about Fire-types then not give an example of one) Klingklang, (AC) and Mawile, who otherwise wall easily take (Wall a Pokemon, not a move) Aurorus's Ice-type STABs moves, super effectively. Stone Edge grants Aurorus the ability to OHKO Cryogonal, Articuno, and Jynx, while doing considerable damage to Regice and Lapras - all Pokemon who that otherwise give Aurorus trouble. Psychic is also an option in the last slot, as it can 3HKO Hariyama, and 2HKO it after 2 two rounds of Stealth Rock (Is this saying that Hariyama needs to switch into Stealth Rock twice and be hit by hail twice? Seems odd, as Hariyama will generally be hit by more rounds of hail than of Stealth Rock, so this doesn't relate to a real battle scenario) + H hail.

Set Details
========
244 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are needed to outspeed base 105 and 110 Speed Pokemon such as Archeops, Pyroar, Mismagius, and Scyther, all of which are incredibly important to be faster than.
20 Attack EVs allow Aurorus to OHKO Cryogonal, Jynx and 0 HP Articuno lacking HP investment with Stone Edge, all of which can take on Aurorus otherwise, while still allowing Aurorus to outspeed positive natured base 110 Speed Pokemon. Snow Warning allows Choice Scarf Aurorus to beat weather sweepers such as Victreebel, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Exeggutor by replacing the current weather condition with H hail, (RC) then and subsequently outspeeding them.

Usage Tips
========
This set's main function to is to stop opposing weather teams. Bring it in on a weather sweeper, (AC) remove their weather, and KO them or force them out whom is currently in the process of sweeping your team, then select the appropriate move to eliminate the threat. This set is best used as a revenge killer, since as Aurorus cannot switch into many attacks and manual weather setting activates after Snow Warning if Aurorus switches into Ludicolo as it uses Rain Dance, Snow Warning gets erased and Aurorus will get KOed. Despite being most effective at revenge killing weather sweepers in particular, it's also just as effective at revenge killing other sweepers, as long as they do not have priority or boosted Speed ("boosted Speed" is a QC change, so correct me it it's wrong. I assume Aurorus cannot revenge kill most things that have +1 Speed, though) general boosting sweepers late-game, barring priority moves.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Sawk and Hariyama really appreciate that two of their common counters, Musharna and Vileplume, have their recovery cut in half during H hail. Having H hail active makes these Pokemon much easier to wear down, as they struggle to stay healthy, so try to bait them in early game to get them worn down quickly. Aurorus can actually sweep rather easily late-game (AH) once Ice-type resists resistances are worn down, (AC) so . P pairing Aurorus with Pokemon such as Nasty Plot Jynx or and Choice Band Sneasel can result in help with a late-game (AH) Blizzard S sweep; however, with more than once Ice-type on the team, entry hazard removal becomes very important an entry hazard remover is a necessity.

[SET]
move 1: Frustration
evs: 4 Def / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Frustration is the most powerful physical STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. It's Aurorus most powerful move, and is easily spammable as it has no drawbacks. Earthquake is gives fantastic coverage alongside Ice-type STAB Frustration, as it allows Aurorus to hit any Steel- or and Fire-types, (RC) such as Magmortar, Klingklang, and Magneton, (RC) super effectively. It also allows Aurorus to hit Lanturn super effectively. Zen Headbutt allows Aurorus to 2HKO Hariyama and Poliwrath, both of which would otherwise wall it. Stone Edge is used to hit Water-types hard such as Prinplup hard, with two of the two most popular defensive Water-types, Pelipper and Mantine, being hit super effectively. In general Stone Edge is the best neutral coverage move Aurorus has for the fourth slot. Facade can also be used in the 4th slot, as it prevents Aurorus from becoming useless after it gets has been burned from by the likes of Fletchinder.

Set Details
========
Choice Band is used to hit as hard as possible off the bat. Aurorus is generally used as a hit-and-run type of attacker, so being able to change moves isn't as crucial to its success. The given EV spread allows Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock five times, while maintaining having maximum attacking power and Speed. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Jolly nature because it would not outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost of in power provided by an Adamant nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Many people People may expect Aurorus to be using special moves, so which you can use this to your advantage by scoring surprise KOs, such as by luring in special walls or Ice-type resistances luring in and disposing of problematic Ice-resists for a teammate, or by just OHKOing a Pokemon that your opponent thought was going to be safe. Bring it in on resisted hits such as Fletchinder and Swellow, or against Pokemon that can't do very much back such as Xatu Bring Aurorus in free switches or on weak or resisted hits from Pokemon that cannot seriously threaten it, such as from Xatu and Swellow. Proceed to click the appropriate coverage move, or just fire off a Frustration if the opponent lacks Ice-type resists.

Team Options
========
Being able to k Keep Stealth Rock off of the field is crucial to for Aurorus, as it is actually quite bulky at full HP even with no investment; however due to its hit-and-run style, losing 25% of its HP every time it switches in is very detrimental. Some viable entry hazard removers include Kabutops, Pelipper, and Prinplup. This set is less of a switch into Feltchinder Fletchinder, (AC) due to it getting as it is crippled by Will-O-Wisp; therefore, it would be a wise idea to pair it with additional Fletchinder checks.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Rock Polish attempts to remedy Aurorus's low Speed stat and give it the chance to sweep the opponents' opponent's team with Aurorus's power and coverage moves. Hyper Voice is the most powerful STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. It also allows Aurorus to by-pass (RH) Substitutes due to Hyper Voice's classification as a sound move. Nature Power is also very useful on a Rock Polish set, as the lack of power is less crucial when cleaning up late game, and being able to bypass Sucker Punch from the likes of Cacturne, Kangaskhan, or and Pawniard can be huge vital. Earth Power is gives fantastic coverage alongside Ice-type STAB Hyper Voice or Nature Power, as it allows Aurorus to hit any Steel- or and Fire-types, (RC) such as Magmortar, Klingklang, and Magneton, (RC) super effectively. Freeze-Dry is used to hit all Water-types super effectively, including Pelipper and Mantine which are 4x weak and which would otherwise wall Aurorus as well as Pokemon that commonly wall Aurorus such as Pelipper and Mantine 4x effectively.

Set Details
========
Life Orb and a Modest nature are used to give Aurorus as much attacking power as possible. Refrigerate is used to abuse Hyper Voice's Substitute-bypassing properties ability to bypass Substitute, (RC) and greater PP than Blizzard, (AC) ; as well as not having Aurorus's main STAB move be weather-(RH) dependent. Hyper Voice's immediate damage is preferable to Blizzard's chip damage as Rock Polish Aurorus cannot afford to wait for H hail to claim the KOs.

Usage Tips
========
Wait until anything that can revenge kill Aurorus has been knocked out late-game when anything on you opponent's team carrying priority moves that Aurorus is susceptible to is knocked out, then bring in Aurorus on a free switch or resisted hit and attempt to sweep and try to bring in Aurorus on either a slow U-turn or Volt Switch from a teammate, or on a Flying-type such as Swellow or Fletchinder.

Team Options
========
Pokemon that buy generate free turns for teammates are obviously very helpful for Aurorus to set up when trying to give Aurorus a free turn to set up. A great example is Yawn, U-turn Uxie with Yawn and U-turn. Wallbreakers such as Choice Band Sawk, Magmortar, and M mixed Samurott can help weaken the opposing team for Aurorus to sweep throughout the game, giving Aurorus a much easier time sweeping once it's setup. Pokemon that can wear down common problematic priority users such as Kabutops, Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Samurott are good partners. Garbodor does this job nicely, as the chip damage it inflicts with Rocky Helmet, Aftermath, and hazards quickly wears down common priority users, (AC) as Rocky Helmet plus Aftermath damage, plus the residual damage from all the entry hazards it sets up can eliminate the opponent's priority allowing Aurorus to sweep freely. Ferroseed also does an okay job at beating the can also beat non-Fighting-types priority users, and it also handily beats notably Kabutops, which is a problem for Aurorus ad Garbodor another huge problem that Garbordor struggles to beat.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Nature Power, which turns into Tri-(RH) Attack in battles, is a viable option on the Choice Specs set for its 20% chance to inflict a status condition, as well as its classification as a non-attacking move, which causes causing Sucker Punch to fail. Icy Rock is an option when Stealth Rock Aurorus is used as a lead (Is this what this bit means? If Icy Rock is the "better option" then OO is not the right place for it), (AC) on the lead set is the better option if you're opting to use Aurorus as a weather setter on a Hail team, as it prolongs the H hail to a much more usable duration. However, on an offensive team where Aurorus's goal is to break through opposing leads and set up Stealth Rock, Focus Sash is crucially important. Ancient Power is a possibility (On what set?) to prevent Aurorus from being walled by the likes of Articuno, Cryogonal, and Jynx; however, these Pokemon are much more rare than the targets of other coverage moves, and therefore it's often less optimal to carry Ancient Power. Echoed Voice can makes Aurorus very hard to stop if it is not forced out quickly, but it starts off very weak and Aurorus is generally too slow to make use of the move. is a cool move when used by Aurorus, as if the opponent does not act quickly and force Aurorus out, it can quickly become a "runaway-train" scenario. However, Aurorus is too slow to make good use of the move, and it starts off very weak, even with the Refrigerate boost. Physical Rock Polish is a possibility, but it faces stiff competition from Shell Smashers users in the tier such as Huntail, Carracosta, and Barbaracle. Calm Mind plus three attacks is also a possible set, however Aurorus is generally too vulnerable to revenge killing and too slow to pull it off effectively (It is mainly the slowness that makes it vulnerable to revenge killing. Add in a bit about priority if you want), and should be used as a "hit and run" Pokemon with Choice Specs to boost its power, not Calm Mind (Don't just suggest something then say that it is a bad set. Either don't include it or say that it is niche). On that note, Substitute plus Calm Mind seems can seem like a decent option, as it removes Aurorus's vulnerability to revenge killing; however, this leaves Aurorus without not enough coverage to hit everything effectively, and will also most likely be forced out. Lastly, it needs to be mentioned Note that Thunderbolt is never stronger than Freeze-Dry versus Water- or Flying-types thanks to Freeze-Dry getting STAB, (AC) so it should never be used. bonus; therefore, never use Thunderbolt on Aurorus, it's terrible.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Aurorus's poor defensive typing, it is not hard to revenge kill prior to setting before it has set up a Rock Polish. Pokemon such as Sawk, Ludicolo, Klinklang, Archeops, Kangaskhan, and Samurott can all revenge kill Aurorus easily.

**Priority**: Aurorus is weak to Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, and Bullet Punch, so it's rather easy to revenge kill even if Aurorus has already set up a Rock Polish. Common users of these moves include Gurdurr, Hariyama, Basculin, Carracosta, and Samurott.

**Bulky Ice-type Resistances Pokemon that Resist Ice**: Thick Fat Hariyama only has to fear Psychic from the Choice Specs set, and can retaliate with either a Close Combat or Bullet Punch. The banded Choice Band set gives it more trouble, but it can still survive any hit and threaten to OHKO back with Bullet Punch. Offensive Articuno can switch into any of Aurorus's attacks barring Stone Edge, (RC) and can Pressure stall Aurorus out of PP with Pressure. Cryogonal can shrug off any hit specially offensive Aurorus throws at it, (RC) and can stall it out with Toxic and Recover; however, it has to be wary of the physical sets.

GP 1/2

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Just wanted to point this out, but I don't feel that Stone Edge has any place on Aurorus's specially inclined sets at all.

The lead set mentions Stone Edge to OHKO Cryogonal, but Rock Tomb does fine against Cryogonal, and the Speed drop lets u actually keep SR up before you KO it (Cryo would spin away SR before you beat it). Rock Tomb's Speed drop is also much more useful against opposing leads, notably Sash Jynx, although Aurorus wants Timid to be able to outspeed things like Cryo and Pyroar after the Speed drop, so that can be changed up a bit in Set Details.

As for the Scarf set, Rock Slide is more than enough to OHKO Cryogonal, has a high chance to OHKO Jynx, and while it doesn't OHKO Articuno it still does plenty. The flinching effect also makes Rock Slide far less of a niche choice than Stone Edge. You can also just drop the 20 Atk EVs and just put all the remaining EVs into SpA, Speed, and Defense I guess.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I implemented the GP check myself along with a few additional wording changes as well as removing Calm Mind and Echoed Voice from OO and Psychic from Choice Scarf since it does absurdly pitiful damage to Hariyama. Did what Punch said as well, lets get this finally finished up.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
remove
add (Capitalize / Fix)

(comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
[OVERVIEW]

Aurorus is blessed with two amazing abilities that allow it to perform many different roles. Refrigerate boosts Aurorus's Normal-type moves to frightening levels of power (RC) and turns them into Ice-type attacks, which are already rather hard to switch into in NU, while Snow Warning allows Aurorus to disrupt other weathers such as rain and sun, act as a fantastic weather supporter on hail teams, perform the role of a suicide lead capable of breaking Focus Sash without attacking, and cripple Pokemon such as Gourgeist, Musharna, and Vileplume that rely on weather-based recovery moves for healing. In addition, Aurorus has access to fantastic coverage options for both physical and special attacking sets, which makes switching into it safely very difficult. Aurorus also acts as a great offensive check to some Flying-types in the tier, specifically the ever-dangerous Fletchinder; despite its lackluster typing, due to its high HP stat it's bulky enough to take most strong neutral hits. Unfortunately, Aurorus possesses one of the worst possible defensive typings. Not only is Aurorus weak to Stealth Rock, it's also weak to common offensive types such as Grass, Water, and Ground, as well as having a nasty 4x weakness to both Fighting and Steel. Aurorus is also rather slow, even with a Choice Scarf equipped.

[SET]
move 4: Frost Breath

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Hyper Voice is the most powerful STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost (RC) and allows Aurorus to bypass Substitute. If Snow Warning is the chosen ability, Blizzard is Aurorus's main STAB move; it hits roughly as hard as Refrigerate Hyper Voice after factoring in end-of-turn residual damage from hail. Earth Power gives fantastic coverage alongside Hyper Voice or Blizzard, as it allows Aurorus to hit Steel- and Fire-types such as Magmortar, Klinklang, and Mawile, (AC) and Magneton super effectively. Freeze-Dry is used to hit Water-types such as Prinplup and Lanturn super effectively. The last move is up to preference, as Aurorus only really needs its first three moves to be effective. Frost Breath is useful to break Calm Mind users such as Uxie or Musharna even once they have boosted their Special Defense. Psychic allows Aurorus to 2HKO Assault Vest Hariyama after Stealth Rock, which is noteworthy, (AC) as Thick Fat Hariyama is one of the most common Ice-type resistances switch-ins (this should be correct I guess? 'resistances' can't be used in this sense so it should be 'Pokemon that resist Ice, and then this may be more elegant) in NU. Sleep Talk can be used to turn Aurorus into a sleep absorber. Ancient Power can be used to hit Ice-type Pokemon such as Articuno and Cryogonal harder, as well as offer a chance for boosts.

Set Details
========
Choice Specs is used to hit as hard as possible off the bat. Aurorus is generally used as a hit-and-run attacker, so being able to change moves isn't crucial to its success. The choice between Snow Warning and Refrigerate comes down to residual damage from hail, Hyper Voice's superior PP, and Hyper Voice's ability to hit through Substitutes. Refrigerate is the better choice if you are concerned about the rest of the team taking hail damage or about Blizzard's measly 8 PP (RC) or want to bypass Substitute with Hyper Voice. However, if Aurorus's teammates don't mind hail damage, Snow Warning can be run to disrupt weather-based healing moves, such as Synthesis and Moonlight, and opposing weather teams. The given EV spread allows Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock five times (RC) while having maximum attacking power and Speed. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Timid nature because it would not outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost in power provided by a Modest nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
Bring Aurorus in on free switches or on weak or resisted hits from Pokemon that can't seriously threaten it, such as Xatu, Fletchinder, and Swellow. Use Hyper Voice liberally, as very little can switch into it repeatedly. If your opponent has an offensive threat that Aurorus is needed to check, be sure to preserve Aurorus and keep entry hazards off your side of the field.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Hariyama and Sawk pair well with Aurorus to break defensive cores, and especially with Snow Warning Aurorus, (AC) which limits the recovery of popular Pokemon that resist Fighting-type resistances. (or, again, "checks", "switch-ins", whatever is appropriate) Setup sweepers such as Fletchinder, Klinklang, and Gurdurr enjoy Aurorus's ability to soften up walls and make sweeping late-game a lot easier. Keeping Stealth Rock off the field is crucial for Aurorus, as it is actually quite bulky at full HP even with no investment; due to its hit-and-run style, losing 25% of its HP every time it switches in is very detrimental. Some viable entry hazard removers include Kabutops, Pelipper, and Prinplup.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Aurorus finds ample opportunities to set up Stealth Rock, as it forces plenty of switches against slower Pokemon. It also gives hail teams a hail setter and Stealth Rock user in one slot. With Snow Warning, Blizzard is Aurorus's most powerful and reliable STAB move. Freeze-Dry hits Water-types such as Mantine, Prinplup, and Pelipper super effectively, preventing them from Defogging against Aurorus. Earth Power hits Fire- and Steel-types such as Magmortar, Klinklang, Magmortar, and Mawile, who which otherwise wall Aurorus, super effectively. Encore can be effective when Aurorus is used as a lead to lock slower leads into Stealth Rock and prevents foes from setting up boosts. Rock Tomb can be used as well, as it allows Aurorus to deal heavy damage to and slow down Cryogonal, which would otherwise be able to spin away Stealth Rock. However, Encore and Freeze-Dry are generally more effective, (AC) as being able to beat Cryogonal is only a very situational benefit.

Set Details
========
The hail damage from Snow Warning allows Aururos Aurorus to beat lead Archeops and Crustle in one turn, meaning Aurorus works as a fantastic counterlead (remove space) to common entry hazard leads. A Timid nature should be used if running Rock Tomb in order to outspeed the likes of Cryogonal and Pyroar after the Speed drop from Rock Tomb.

Usage Tips
========
This Aurorus functions best as a lead in order to get up Stealth Rock and capitalize on its excellent matchup versus common entry hazard setters and removers. Setting up Stealth Rock is the first priority, as it gets important chip damage on the opposing team, and it is generally a fairly safe move to go for even if your opponent has a Xatu, (AC) as they will be extremely hesitant to switch into Aurorus in fear of a Blizzard. Utilize Aurorus's coverage moves and utility in order to keep up Stealth Rock by scaring away Defog users with a potential Freeze-Dry or slowing down Cryogonal wit Rock Tomb in order to prevent it from effectively using Rapid Spin. An additional thing to keep in mind is that it can be worth preserving Aurorus even if it is at low HP, as Snow Warning can potentially break Focus Sash or Sturdy later.

Team Options
========
Offensive Pokemon that appreciate Aurorus's ability to set up Stealth Rock and wear down Ice-type resistances include Jynx, Fletchinder, Scyther, and Articuno. Other offensive teammates who that appreciate Stealth Rock include Tauros, Magmortar, Mismagius, Pyroar, Kabutops, and Pinsir. While Aurorus matches up well against lead hazard setters, it's still a wise idea to bring an offensive hazard remover to help support Aurorus, in the event that it's able to switch out and keep its Focus Sash intact. Good examples are Kabutops and Claydol.

[SET]
move 4: Rock Slide
nature: Timid

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Blizzard is Aurorus's most powerful and reliable STAB move when using Snow Warning. Freeze-Dry hits Water-types such as Ludicolo and Poliwrath super effectively. Earth Power hits Fire- and Steel-types such as Magmortar, Klingklang Klinklang, and Mawile, who which easily take Aurorus's Ice-type STAB moves, super effectively. Rock Slide targets the likes of Cryogonal, Articuno, and Jynx (RC) while doing considerable damage to Regice and Lapras—all (fix dash) Pokemon that otherwise give Aurorus trouble.

Set Details
========
252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature are needed to outspeed base 105 and 110 Speed Pokemon such as Archeops, Pyroar, Mismagius, and Scyther. Maximum Special Attack is used to hit as hard as possible. Snow Warning allows Choice Scarf Aurorus to beat weather sweepers such as Victreebel, Ludicolo, Poliwrath, and Exeggutor by replacing the current weather condition with hail and subsequently outspeeding them.

Usage Tips
========
This set's main function is to stop opposing weather teams. Bring it in on a weather sweeper, remove their weather, and KO them or force them out. This set is best used as a revenge killer, as Aurorus cannot switch into many attacks and manual weather setting activates after Snow Warning. Despite being most effective at revenge killing weather sweepers, it's also effective at revenge killing various fast offensive Pokemon such as Archeops, Liepard, and Lilligant.

Team Options
========
Fighting-types such as Sawk and Hariyama appreciate that two of their common counters, Musharna and Vileplume, have their recovery cut in half during hail, (comma) making Having hail active makes these Pokemon much easier to wear down, as they struggle to stay healthy. Aurorus can sweep late-game once Ice-type resistances are Pokemon that resist Ice have been worn down, so pairing Aurorus with Pokemon such as Nasty Plot Jynx and Life Orb Vanilluxe can help with a late-game Blizzard sweep; however, with more than once Ice-type on the team, entry hazard removal (from the likes of?) becomes very important.

[SET]
move 1: Frustration Return (standards stuff, if you want to run Frustration that's fine but Return is going into the analysis, similar to speed creep in a sense)
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Frustration Return is the most powerful physical STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. Earthquake gives fantastic coverage alongside Frustration Return, as it allows Aurorus to hit Steel- and Fire-types such as Magmortar, Klingklang Klinklang, and Magneton (rip), and Magmortar super effectively. It also allows Aurorus to hit Lanturn super effectively. Zen Headbutt allows Aurorus to 2HKO Hariyama and Poliwrath, both of which would otherwise wall it. Stone Edge is used to hit Water-types such as Prinplup hard, with two of the most popular defensive Water-types, Pelipper and Mantine, being hit super effectively. In general Stone Edge is the best neutral coverage move Aurorus has for the fourth slot. Facade can also be used over Stone Edge, as it prevents Aurorus from becoming useless after it has been burned by the likes of Fletchinder.

Set Details
========
Choice Band is used to hit as hard as possible off the bat. Aurorus is generally used as a hit-and-run attacker, so being able to change moves isn't crucial to its success. The given EV spread allows Aurorus to switch into Stealth Rock five times (RC) while having maximum attacking power and Speed. Aurorus doesn't need the additional Speed granted by a Jolly nature because it this would not allow it to outspeed anything relevant with the added Speed, and the boost in power provided by an Adamant nature is extremely helpful.

Usage Tips
========
People may expect Aurorus to be using special moves, which you can use to your advantage by scoring surprise KOs, such as by luring in special walls or Pokemon that resist Ice-type resistances. Bring Aurorus in free switches or on weak or resisted hits from Pokemon that cannot seriously threaten it, such as from Xatu and Swellow. Be sure to keep entry hazards off the field in order to maintain Aurorus's longevity if your opponent has a threat such as Scyther or Swellow, (AC) which Aurorus can check.

Team Options
========
Keeping Stealth Rock off the field is crucial for Aurorus, as it is quite bulky at full HP even with no investment; due to its hit-and-run style, losing 25% of its HP every time it switches in is very detrimental. Some viable entry hazard removers include Kabutops, Pelipper, and Prinplup. This set is less of a switch into switch-in to Fletchinder, as it is crippled by Will-O-Wisp; therefore, it would be a wise idea to pair it with additional Fletchinder checks.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Rock Polish attempts to remedy Aurorus's low Speed stat and give it the chance to sweep the opponent's team with Aurorus's power and coverage moves. Hyper Voice is the most powerful STAB move Aurorus gets thanks to the Refrigerate boost. It also allows Aurorus to bypass Substitute. Nature Power is also very useful on a Rock Polish set, as the lack of power is less crucial when cleaning up late-game (add hyphen, RC) and being able to bypass Sucker Punch from the likes of Cacturne, Kangaskhan, and Pawniard can be vital. Earth Power gives fantastic coverage alongside Hyper Voice or Nature Power, as it allows Aurorus to hit Steel- and Fire-types such as Magmortar, Klingklang Klinklang, and Magneton (rip), (AC) and Magmortar super effectively. Freeze-Dry is used to hit Water-types super effectively, including Pelipper and Mantine, (AC) which are 4x weak to it.

Set Details
========
Life Orb and a Modest nature are used to give Aurorus as much attacking power as possible. Refrigerate is used to abuse capitalize on Hyper Voice's ability to bypass Substitute and greater PP than Blizzard, as well as not having Aurorus's main STAB move be weather dependent. Hyper Voice's immediate damage is preferable to Blizzard's chip damage, (AC) as Rock Polish Aurorus cannot afford to wait for hail to claim KOs.

Usage Tips
========
Do not attempt to sweep until anything that can revenge kill Aurorus, such as Pokemon that can outspeed it even at +2 or that have access to strong priority, have been knocked out. Bring Aurorus in on a free switch, such as from a U-turn or Volt Switch or after a teammate has been knocked out, or on a weak or resisted hit from a Pokemon that cannot seriously threaten it, such as Xatu, Swellow, or Fletchinder.

Team Options
========
Pokemon that generate free turns are very helpful for Aurorus to set up. A great example is Uxie with Yawn and U-turn. Wallbreakers such as Choice Band Sawk, Magmortar, and mixed Samurott can help weaken the opposing team for Aurorus to sweep. Pokemon that can wear down common problematic priority users such as Kabutops, Hariyama, Gurdurr, and Samurott are good partners. Garbodor does this job nicely, as the chip damage it inflicts with Rocky Helmet, Aftermath, and hazards quickly wears down common priority users, allowing Aurorus to sweep freely. Ferroseed can also beat non-Fighting-type priority users, notably Kabutops, which is a problem for Aurorus and Garbodor.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Icy Rock is an option when Stealth Rock Aurorus is used as a lead, (AC) as it prolongs hail to a much more usable duration. However, on an offensive team, (AC; assuming what you're saying applies to all offensive teams, no comma implies that there are also offensive teams where this isn't Aurorus's goal) where Aurorus's goal is to break through opposing leads and set up Stealth Rock, Focus Sash is crucially important. A physical Rock Polish set is a possibility, but it faces stiff competition from Shell Smash users such as Huntail, Carracosta, and Barbaracle. Note that Thunderbolt is never stronger than Freeze-Dry versus Water- or Flying-types thanks to Freeze-Dry getting STAB, so it should never be used.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Faster Pokemon**: Due to Aurorus's poor defensive typing, it is not hard to revenge kill before it has set up a Rock Polish. Pokemon such as Sawk, Ludicolo, Klinklang, Archeops, Kangaskhan, and Samurott can all revenge kill Aurorus easily.

**Bulky Pokemon that Resist Ice**: Thick Fat Hariyama only has to fear Psychic from the Choice Specs set (RC) and can retaliate with Close Combat or Bullet Punch. The Choice Band set gives it more trouble, but it can still survive any hit and threaten to OHKO back with Bullet Punch. Offensive Articuno can switch into any of Aurorus's attacks barring Stone Edge and stall Aurorus out of PP with Pressure. Cryogonal can shrug off any hit specially offensive Aurorus throws at it and stall it out with Toxic and Recover; however, it has to be wary of physical sets.

GP 2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)