Australian VGC-Style Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Pokémon Black and Pokémon White Versions Battle Competition

Requirements for Participating

The 2011 Australian States Pokémon Competition will be played exclusively using legitimate Australian Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version Game Cards.
Tournament matches will take place via Infrared Connection. Players must provide their own Nintendo DS systems and Australian Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version Game Cards and cannot share systems or Game Cards with another player at the event.
• Players must ensure that their Nintendo DS console is fully charged prior to the event, as power will not be guaranteed on the day.
• It is also recommended that when playing throughout the day, players lower their console brightness in order to conserve battery.
Registering for an event:
All event registration will be handled on-site the day of each event. Registration is first come, first served, and will be open to 128 competitors in each location.
Format:
Players will activate their C-Gear and initiate an Infrared Connection with the opposing player. ‘Battle’ will be selected utilising the following conditions:
• Battles for Two
• Double Battle
• Players will be allowed up to 4 Pokémon in their party
Pokémon:
Players may use Pokémon found in the Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version Unova Pokédex, from No. 001-148, and No. 151, that are caught in the game, or received by an official event or distribution. Pokémon from the Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, or Sinnoh Pokédex cannot be used.
• A player’s team may not contain two Pokémon with the same Unova Pokédex number
• All Pokémon will be adjusted to level 50 for the duration of the battle.
• Each Pokémon on a player’s team may use held items, though no two Pokémon may hold the same item during battle
o Only items acquired in Pokémon Black Version or Pokémon White Version, or received at an official Pokémon event or promotion, may be used
• Players may not enter two Pokémon with the same nickname
• Players may not enter a Pokémon nicknamed with the name of another Pokémon character (for example, an Unfezant nicknamed “Pidove”)
• Players found to have inappropriate/offensive Trainer names or Pokémon nicknames, as determined by the event staff, will be disqualified from the event
Moves:
Pokémon may only use moves that have been learned through one of the following methods:
• By leveling up
• By TM or HM
• As an Egg move, through breeding
• From a character in the game
• Already learned by a Pokémon that was received at an official Pokémon event or promotion
• Pokémon cannot use the move Sky Drop during battle
Other Information:
The use of external devices to alter the Pokémon in a player’s party is expressly forbidden. Random checks will be performed throughout the tournament to determine whether or not an external device has been used to modify a player’s party. Players found to have Pokémon that have been tampered with will be disqualified from the event, regardless of whether the player tampered with his or her game or received a Pokémon or item that was tampered with by someone other than the player. It is the player’s responsibility to have legal Pokémon. Event officials have the final determination regarding the legality of a Pokémon.
A player should notify the staff immediately if he or she believes that there is a problem with an opponent’s Pokémon. At the end of the round, all match results become final. Issues that go unreported until after the round has completed will not change the result of that match, regardless of whether there is a problem with an opponent’s Pokémon.
Players and spectators are expected to demonstrate proper sportsmanship over the course of the event. A player may be disqualified from the event based on actions taken by friends or relatives who disrupt the operation of the tournament.
TOURNAMENT OPERATION
The tournament is a Single Elimination event. Each match will consist of a single game and will result in the winner advancing to the next round and the loser being removed from the tournament. The last player remaining will be the winner of the event.
A player wins by knocking out his or her opponent’s final Pokémon.
If the player’s final Pokémon used Selfdestruct, Explosion, Destiny Bond, or Final Gambit, and both players’ final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player loses that game
If a player’s final Pokémon used Double-Edge, Volt Tackle, Flare Blitz, Take Down, Submission, Brave Bird, Wood Hammer, Head Smash, Struggle, or Wild Volt, or was holding Life Orb, and both players’ final Pokémon are knocked out as a result, that player wins that game
If both players’ final Pokémon is knocked out by a weather condition, such as Hail or Sandstorm, the player whose Pokémon is knocked out last wins the game
If a Pokémon’s ability or held item, such as Rough Skin, Aftermath, Liquid Ooze, Iron Barbs, and Rocky Helmet, results in each player’s final Pokémon being knocked out, the player with the ability or held item will win the game
A player who selects “Run” during a battle will count as the loser of that game, whether selected intentionally or not.
Preliminary Rounds
Players will be randomly paired throughout the preliminary rounds. The number of wins needed to move on to the Final rounds will vary, based on attendance.
Each game in each match will have a 15-minute time limit, with a 1-minute time limit on move selection. Players are expected to maintain a lively pace during game play.
Random byes will be assigned during the first Final round based on the number of players participating in that round.
Tiebreakers
Should time expire on a match in progress before a player knocks out his or her opponent’s last Pokémon, the winner of the current game will be determined based on the criteria below.
Remaining Pokémon
If one player has more remaining Pokémon than the other, that player wins the game.
If both players have the same number of Pokémon remaining, the result of the game is determined by average percentage of HP remaining, as described below.
Average Percentage of HP Remaining
If one player’s team has a higher average percentage of HP remaining, that player wins the game.
If both players’ teams have the same average HP remaining, the result of the game is determined by amount HP remaining, as described below.
Amount of Total HP Remaining
If one player’s team has a higher total HP remaining, that player wins the game.
If both players’ teams have the same total HP remaining, the result of the game is a tie.
If a game ends in a tie, a single Sudden Death game will be played to determine the winner of the match.
"

source: http://www.nintendo.com.au/index.php?sectionID=1&pageID=404

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This is most excellent news.

Schoolteacher Steelicks should take his students there on a field trip and then crush everybody with his great girth so he can grab a free flight to San Diego, yes?

Not really, just a disapointment all there is to win is a nintendo 3ds no invites to worlds. Not really affiliated with vgc just its rules.

I see a flaw in the time limit. You could just stall with high HP Pokemon, and then you would have the highest average HP no matter what.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It would have been cool to have Australia at Worlds as well..

At least they're getting something, maybe it's just a tester to see what kind of turnout and competitive level Australia has, then they'll take part next year?

Wait, where does it say anything about only winning a 3DS? If I'm not mistaken there's not even a mention of the prizes at stake, so the Aussies might still have a chance to participate at Worlds.

Players will activate their C-Gear and initiate an Infrared Connection with the opposing player. ‘Battle’ will be selected utilising the following conditions:
• Battles for Two
• Double Battle
• Players will be allowed up to 4 Pokémon in their party
Each game in each match will have a 15-minute time limit, with a 1-minute time limit on move selection. Players are expected to maintain a lively pace during game play.
They need to fix one or the other, because there is no way any battle is getting done in 15 minutes with Wonder Launcher on.

The prize confuses me. Why are they offering a copy of Black or White when you have to bring a copy of Black or White to even compete? No Worlds invites is very lame as well. >_>

Ah well, I'll still attend and play to get me a 3DS.

is this just the "connection tour" shit they usually run every year? they had a pkmons tourney in 07 i believe to celebrate DP being released so i guess this is the same.

3DS as a prize is pretty cool (though going to worlds would be a lot cooler ;/), might participate but i dunno. need to get my shit together and buy an english copy of b/w...

They need to fix one or the other, because there is no way any battle is getting done in 15 minutes with Wonder Launcher on.
Have to agree here, if this means vgc11 will have wonder launcher on... that would be.. difficult. They really need to reconsider that ruleset there and hopefully they'll read your post sixonesix.

Have to agree here, if this means vgc11 will have wonder launcher on... that would be.. difficult. They really need to reconsider that ruleset there and hopefully they'll read your post sixonesix.
I doubt this means that Wonder Launcher will be on for the rest of the world's VGC11 as those will be done using the Battle Tournament menu option (Where TPCi can decide whether or not to have things like Wonder Launcher and Team Preview on or off) opposed to C-Gear which is what the Australians appear to be using.

Remember that it takes a few turns to actually earn enough to use something like a Revive and VGC11 is generally very fast paced so wouldn't really give much opportunity for one to be used, and it would take up a Pokémon's attack to use one so I'm doubting it will influence too much. Though it could be an issue with bulkier TR teams....

I really have a doubt in my mind about this Wonder Launcher. Say TPCi uses it for our regionals and such, battles will take forever just as Sixonesix said and you are limited to your items. Anyone can basically win due to this Wonder Launcher rule we think there is. But no where in the rules does it say anything about Wonder Launcher. Nintendo does have the power to "tamper" with the games just like they have done in the past with Pokemon Battle Revolution by turning Team Preview off. They could potentially turn it off but then again we are using our own DS systems. Time will tell if the Wonder Launcher is off. We should just wait for the American rules and locations which should be coming right about now.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This and VGC are not related in any way. Please don't infer from the rules and setup of this tournament what will happen at VGC.

This is a great chance for everyone who plays in Perth to get together :)

The Connection Tour in '07 was great for meeting other trainers, and marked the start of my torrid love affair with Garchomp..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)