Australian VGC-Style Tournament

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Brisbane event was today, and the winner DIDN'T use Whimsicott/Terrakion! I came in Top 4, planning to warstory at some point. The competition (for me anyway) wasn't too great until the later rounds, where I versed our very own Manaphy101 (I won). I lost to the guy who ended up winning, ah well.

I was there too, and thought it was a step up from the previous competitions we've had in QLD before. Quite a few trick room teams around, and didn't see any many Whimsicott/Terrakion teams as I thought I would. Unfortunately for me, I just didn't make it through the 3rd round. An item probably would've saved me, but that's all done and dusted now. It's certainly something to think about for the states that are left to go.

On another note, I'm quite happy that the day didn't drag right out until 5pm as they normally would. They were really pushing the limits trying to host it inside an EB store!

I came runner up today to un?lucky, it was a fun day in general with some great games. Kinda annoyed how it finished but it happens.

Krul if you were blueshirt guy always on tv you had a really nice team.

Those were some really intense final rounds, it was awesome fun and must of just been my lucky day. Heres hoping they're more tournaments in the future, should I post the team I used?

I got top 8 but lost to Krul, largely due to being outpredicted and having a 30 spd IV on my Meinshao. Good games though. Also because I didn't have time to learn how to RNG breed so I had to use a Zoaroak and a Reuniclus instead of the Hydreigon and Jellicent that I had planned. We should hold another tournament sometime, it was lots of fun!

Chaser: Yeah, that was me. And thanks :) Your team was good too
Manafii: Hey man, good game! I think the Facebook group Brisbane Pokemon HQ (Something like that) are having a tourney sometime in June/July, they were members of my cheer squad who I met that day.

I won the tournament in South Australia, and the runner-up was also a Smogoner. Earthworm won in NSW and Jahikoi won in Vic. I don't know about the other states, but on a whole, Smogon's representing Australia well.
Just wanted to say I lost to Darkmalice in the Adelaide final. It was an enjoyable day and even though it was crushing to come so close to winning, I still had fun. Hopefully Australia will actually be part of the VGCs next time after the good turnouts we have had so far.

Perth was quite a mixed bag. Of course the Pokeclectic members were out in force, but there were a lot of pokemon with rogue moves (like sludge bomb landorus). Zoroark and Volcarona were very popular which was quite surprising.
I ran a Trick Room team with Reuni/Guss with Chandy and Conk in the back. It was quite successful partly due to me not being on the big screen so no one knew much about me. Got to the semi final where my opponent misclicked hydra dark pulse onto his own conk and felt bad because my friend knew him and i ended up beating him. Ended up coming second to Cat-Gonk running Hex Chandy with Amoonguss because i did a less than optimal opening and my Rock Slide missed but his Heat Wave hit.

Hopefully, the Cat-Gonk will put his team up here and not on Pokeclectic and that there are links to videos soon.

I'm so sad I didn't meet Blue Kirby, I thought you didn't show up =(

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
That's weird, I actually thought I spoke to most people at least briefly. I didn't harp on about my username though mostly unless I was sure I was talking to someone who already knew me and just wanted to put a face to the name.

Anyway, I was knocked out round 1 when my Rock Slide refused to connect -- it had been a close game and that was all it took to swing the momentum away from me unfortunately. Them's the breaks, wish it could've at least happened later though. :P

Credit to Cat-Gonk, he played well, especially in the final game where I thought he was in a really tight spot. I just wish I'd gotten to play against more of you. Another time.

My friend's Rock Slide missed twice against a Volcarona and so he lost in round 2. And I would have lost by 1HP if my Rock Slide hit (because Cat-Gonk's chandy had a sash), but it missed.

PROTIP: DON'T USE ROCK SLIDE

In the final, if I Spore'd his Amoonguss and had Reuniclus use Trick Room, I think the game would have been very different. Unfortunately, I spored his Chandy and tried to Psychic Amoonguss only for him to get Spore'd before Reuni could do anything.

What were you wearing today Kirby? Were you hanging out with the Pokeclectic crew for the most part of the day?

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I sort of flitted around, I talked to some of the Pokeclectic guys for a bit but I wasn't with them the whole time. I ran into a couple of people from my university so I hung out with them too. I was wearing a dark browny-green (the technical term, as I'm told :p) cardigan and jeans.

Chaser: Yeah, that was me. And thanks :) Your team was good too
Manafii: Hey man, good game! I think the Facebook group Brisbane Pokemon HQ (Something like that) are having a tourney sometime in June/July, they were members of my cheer squad who I met that day.
My friends were the loud ones cheering for you blue shirt guy. :p I had an exam at the same time so I couldn't make it, I'll be at the Pokemon HQ event in a few months though.

Not really, just a disapointment all there is to win is a nintendo 3ds no invites to worlds. Not really affiliated with vgc just its rules.
I always thought this tournament was an experiment to see how popular Pokémon tournaments are down under, and to see if it's worth including Australia in the future. Am I wrong?

My friend's Rock Slide missed twice against a Volcarona and so he lost in round 2. And I would have lost by 1HP if my Rock Slide hit (because Cat-Gonk's chandy had a sash), but it missed.

PROTIP: DON'T USE ROCK SLIDE
I gave my Terakkion Wide Lens just because of Rock Slide. With my luck I just couldn't risk using anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)