Pokémon Avalugg

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Avalugg #713

Type
:

Ability: Own Tempo / Ice Body / Sturdy (Hidden Ability)
Base Stats: 95 HP / 117 Atk / 184 Def / 44 SpA / 46 SpD / 28 Spe (514 BST)

Complete Known Movepool
Level-Up Movepool
Lv0 - Iron Defense
Lv0 - Skull Bash
Lv0 - Crunch
Lv46 - Blizzard
Lv51 - Recover
Lv56 - Double-Edge
Lv60 - Skull Bash
Lv65 - Crunch

TM & HM Compatibility
TM05 - Roar
TM06 - Toxic
TM07 - Hail
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM13 - Ice Beam
TM14 - Blizzard
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM26 - Earthquake
TM27 - Return
TM32 - Double Team
TM39 - Rock Tomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM69 - Rock Polish
TM70 - Flash
TM71 - Stone Edge
TM74 - Gyro Ball
TM78 - Bulldoze
TM79 - Frost Breath
TM80 - Rock Slide
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM94 - Rock Smash
TM100 - Confide
HM03 - Surf
HM04 - Strength

Egg Moves
Recover
Mist
Mirror Coat

Notable Moves:

Recover
Avalanche
Curse
Ice Fang
Toxic
Rock Tomb
Stone Edge
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Bulldoze
Rock Slide
Crunch
Roar
Mirror Coat

General Analysis of Pokemon

The first thing that catches the eye when looking at Avalugg is its titanic physical bulk, which is similar to that of Giratina, the physically bulkiest Pokemon in the game. Even with such a poor defensive typing, its physical bulk allows it to check multiple physical threats in OU, such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, Dragonite, Salamence, Mamoswine, Toxicroak, and Gyarados. In addition, Avalugg has Recover and Rapid Spin, allowing it to become a sturdy physical wall and spinner, which unlike Forretress, has both reliable recovery and good offensive presence thanks to a respectable base 110 Atk stat and good coverage moves in Earthquake and Stone Edge. However, Avalugg has some crippling flaws that will probably make it a very difficult Pokemon to use. Its low special bulk hinders its ability to deal with some physical sweepers which often carry special moves, such as Fire Blast Garchomp and Fire Blast Salamence. As a spinner, it is weak to Stealth Rock and susceptible to all other formes of entry hazards, while also being unable to get past Jellicent, the premiere spinblocker for defensive teams in 5th gen. Fortunately, Avalugg can hit hard both Gengar and Aegislash, the spinblockers that will be used on offensive teams. Finally, Avalugg has horrible defensive typing and Speed stat, meaning that it is very easy to force out. Couple this with the fact that it is Stealth Rock weak and you have a Pokemon that is really hard to use and very easy to take advantage of.

Potential Movesets

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Avalanche
- Earthquake / Roar / Stone Edge

This is the set that takes advantage of Avalugg's best traits, namely Rapid Spin and the ability to counter certain physical attackers. For example, with the given EV spread it takes only 60.54 - 71.46% from Double Dance Landorus-T +2 Stone Edge, 33.41 - 39.35% from bulky DD Gyarados's +1 Waterfall in rain, 59.15 - 69.8% from SD LO Garchomp's +2 Outrage, and 43.81 - 51.48% from Adamant LO Mamoswine's Superpower. As long as Avalugg makes sure that Stealth Rock doesn't stay up (he can actually do this against some common Stealth Rock users, such as Landorus-T and Ferrothorn), he can counter those threats. Earthquake gets the best coverage alongside Avalanche, OHKOes SD Toxicroak, dents Terrakion, and hits most Steel- and Fire-types looking to switch into Avalugg for super effective damage (Lucario, Heatran, Magnezone). Roar phazes any physical attacker whom you can't beat, such as BU Conkeldurr, bulky SD Scizor, and more, and generally makes Avalugg as hard as possible to set up on. Finally, Stone Edge makes Avalugg a very reliable SubDD Gyarados counter, as it can 2HKO it while Gyarados can never 2HKO back after a boost, even with SR and rain up. Stone Edge also provides coverage against Cloyster and Volcarona.

Checks and Counters

Avalugg's goal is to check certain physical threats and Rapid Spin, so as long as you prevent it from spinning (with double switches to Pokemon that can threaten it or Jellicent) or have at least one Pokemon that can get past it (any special Attacker will do really) you will be fine.

Personal Opinion and Conclusion

I think that Avalugg will become a very niche option in OU with very specific uses. Its ability to check the aforementioned physical threats while being able to Rapid Spin may grant it a spot on teams that have problem with certain Stealth Rock users (such as Landorus-T), but other than that i don't think it will be used for any other role.

Last edited:
Not really, avalugg is infinitely bulkier than cryo. (not trying to be rude, just mentioning a couple of things that could help improve your post) Also, mention Rhydon and Regirock when you say tina. Also, you mention it's bad defensive typing twice. Given the calcs you mentioned, it seems to be more of a check than a counter, as it is not capable of taking boosted attacks, and it's low speed leaves it vulnerable to being hit twice. Also, slash in roar over EQ/SE as phazing is great on a pokemon that is otherwise set up bait for many threats. Otherwise, this is very good. Another potential set you could use is

Name: Choice Band
Avalugg @ Choice Band
Trait: Sturdy
Adamant Nature
Evs: 252 Hp / 252 Atk
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

This set uses Avalugg's decent attack stat, along with it's excellent physical bulk in order to hit hard with a stab avalanche. The listed moves have great coverage together, as they are capable of hitting many threats such as Gengar, Garchomp, Aegislash, Doublade, Terrakion and Talonflame. The capability to switch into such strong threats, and heavily dent/ko them or the switch in is invaluable on any pokemon, especially one with such strong stats.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Not really, avalugg is infinitely bulkier than cryo. (not trying to be rude, just mentioning a couple of things that could help improve your post) Also, mention Rhydon and Regirock when you say tina. Also, you mention it's bad defensive typing twice. Given the calcs you mentioned, it seems to be more of a check than a counter, as it is not capable of taking boosted attacks, and it's low speed leaves it vulnerable to being hit twice. Also, slash in roar over EQ/SE as phazing is great on a pokemon that is otherwise set up bait for many threats. Otherwise, this is very good. Another potential set you could use is

Avalugg @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

This set uses Avalugg's decent attack stat, along with it's excellent physical bulk in order to hit hard with a stab avalanche. The listed moves have great coverage together, as they are capable of hitting many threats such as Gengar, Garchomp, Aegislash, Doublade, Terrakion and Talonflame. The capability to switch into such strong threats, and heavily dent/ko them or the switch in is invaluable on any pokemon, especially one with such strong stats.
By using a Choice Band set you are wasting the only two qualities of Avalaugg that make it worth using; Rapid Spin and physical bulk. Oh and you are right about Roar, it is definitely a cool option to phaze boosting sweepers so i am adding it!

Last edited:
Well, the idea behind the band set is to use it's bulk to force switches, not to use as a dedicated wall. It would essentially come in on something like scarfchomp, and use the band to dent the switch in.

Avalugg is a very interesting addition. I would say he is most likely to be using the spinner set although choice band has decent surprise factor as would choice scarf. (No I didn't just say that...). I'm thinking toxic spike support would be very beneficial as he can phaze and stall with recover. I also think that he's likely to drop down to ru eventually, as his tiny Sdef stat is such a hindrance.

That Stealth Rock weakness is going to be more of a problem than its low special defense IMO.

I am wondering if this thing ha access to any ghost / dark moves, it doesn't seem to have much in the way of damaging spin-blockers outside its STAB and Toxic so far.

Edit: ooh Crunch, yep, its gonna use that

Looks like Cloyster with more HP and a bit more Atk in exchange for Spe, Water-typing, and Shell Smash. It'd really need to focus on stuff Cloyster couldn't do to compete in the same tiers...

Looks like Cloyster with more HP and a bit more Atk in exchange for Spe, Water-typing, and Shell Smash. It'd really need to focus on stuff Cloyster couldn't do to compete in the same tiers...
Recover. Cloyster just lost the defensive RSing spot.

Unfortunately, that won't make this thing OU - as OP said, this guy's niche in OU at best. Still, I can see it being great in the lower tiers, where it can play a defensive game or a crazy offensive game.

(and when I saw the stats I gravitated to the Attack/Speed and thought "oh, it's Beartic except better in pretty much every definable way". Funny how right I was)

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

Avalugg @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

But if it's supposed to force switches and thenn dent the switch-in, how will he manage that with his main STAB? Avalanche is pitifully weak without the boost, and you can only get the boost when you're actually being attacked.

The problem i see is that aside from rapid spin, Avalugg is completely outclassed by its Prevo as a wall
Bergmite @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Avalanche
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Common resttalk set, you get the idea. And unless it gets better moves it will probably not work well as a choice user. As a support though Avalugg will see some nice usage due to recover/rapid spin
A core between Avalugg and Chansey/Blissey could work somewhat well, but many strong fighting types could break it so a Ghost type may need to come in to complete the core.

Just because it can learn Rapid Spin doesnt mean it HAS to. Other mon can fill that roll on such a team. How would Tentacruel not be a great partner for this thing eating those Fighting, Fire and Steel moves? as well as absorbing those toxic spikes and spinning out stealth rock for it. The guy seems meant for Trick Room since STAB ice would wreck. Too bad Avalanche becomes worthless in that scenario. With Sturdy though and Stealth Rock it could at least make a kick ass lead. Can Dragonite survive an Avalanche off this thing even with Multiscale? And as a lead it can actually potentially immediately spin hazards any other lead would normally throw down. This is probably this guys best bet. And this thing is BEGGING for Mirror Coat in that position.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Well, the idea behind the band set is to use it's bulk to force switches, not to use as a dedicated wall. It would essentially come in on something like scarfchomp, and use the band to dent the switch in.
Yeah but it's completely outclassed by other Choice Band users in this role.
The problem i see is that aside from rapid spin, Avalugg is completely outclassed by its Prevo as a wall
Bergmite @ Eviolite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Avalanche
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Common resttalk set, you get the idea. And unless it gets better moves it will probably not work well as a choice user. As a support though Avalugg will see some nice usage due to recover/rapid spin
A core between Avalugg and Chansey/Blissey could work somewhat well, but many strong fighting types could break it so a Ghost type may need to come in to complete the core.
Why use a RestTalk set on a Pokemon that gets Recover and needs Rapid Spin in order to have any use in OU? This set loses to most even remotely strong special attackers, and a ton of physical attackers as well, while providing nothing in terms of support (at least nothing that other Pokemon can't do better).
Just because it can learn Rapid Spin doesnt mean it HAS to. Other mon can fill that roll on such a team. How would Tentacruel not be a great partner for this thing eating those Fighting, Fire and Steel moves? as well as absorbing those toxic spikes and spinning out stealth rock for it. The guy seems meant for Trick Room since STAB ice would wreck. Too bad Avalanche becomes worthless in that scenario. With Sturdy though and Stealth Rock it could at least make a kick ass lead. Can Dragonite survive an Avalanche off this thing even with Multiscale? And as a lead it can actually potentially immediately spin hazards any other lead would normally throw down. This is probably this guys best bet. And this thing is BEGGING for Mirror Coat in that position.
It has to use Rapid Spin, because as i said in the OP it's the only thing it has going for it over other physical walls. It's the only way someone can justify using Avalugg as a physical walls over Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Skarmory, and Landorus-T, Pokemon that have better typing, way better utility for the team, better mixed defenses, and are not SR weak. And it needs Recover as well, otherwise it's just an inferior Forretress.

Why use a RestTalk set on a Pokemon that gets Recover and needs Rapid Spin in order to have any use in OU? This set loses to most even remotely strong special attackers, and a ton of physical attackers as well, while providing nothing in terms of support (at least nothing that other Pokemon can't do better).
255+ Atk Choice Band Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Eviolite (Bergmite): 172-204 (47.25 - 56.04%) -- 80.08% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Eviolite (Bergmite): 282-332 (77.47 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Eviolite (Bergmite): 236-278 (64.83 - 76.37%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is unboosted from both sides, and if you actually read the set it was its prevo i was using in the set. (Although i could have formatted it better)
Anyway, just because it can spin doesn't mean it should, many people forget that Cloyster can spin because of shell smash and skill link. Any way its going to be outclassed in OU as both a spinner and a wall so because of many mons and will probably be RU at best

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
255+ Atk Choice Band Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Eviolite (Bergmite): 172-204 (47.25 - 56.04%) -- 80.08% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Eviolite (Bergmite): 282-332 (77.47 - 91.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Terrakion Stone Edge vs. 255 HP / 0 Def Eviolite (Bergmite): 236-278 (64.83 - 76.37%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This is unboosted from both sides, and if you actually read the set it was its prevo i was using in the set. (Although i could have formatted it better)
Anyway, just because it can spin doesn't mean it should, many people forget that Cloyster can spin because of shell smash and skill link. Any way its going to be outclassed in OU as both a spinner and a wall so because of many mons and will probably be RU at best
Even worse then. Why would you want to use its pre-evo and forfeit the recovery of Leftovers + Recover that this Pokemon desperately needs to offset its weakness to SR and its vulnerability to special attackers? Eviolite Pokemon need to have really better bulk than their evos to be worth it in OU, as Leftovers + better attacking stats make all the difference. The only really viable Eviolite Pokemon in OU in 5th gen was Chansey, which was around 50% more bulky defensively than Blissey and didn't care about the SpA loss a lot as it still had S-Toss + Toxic as reliable sources of damage.

Of 'course you are free to use whatever you like, but any set that doesn't use Rapid Spin + Recover is completely outclassed by other Pokemon.

Wasn't Dusclops also reasonably viable? I think the only reason it didn't make OU is that there were simply other spinblockers, and it was rare people needed a defensive spinblocker (and Jellicent was more useful in a rain metagame.)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
Wasn't Dusclops also reasonably viable? I think the only reason it didn't make OU is that there were simply other spinblockers, and it was rare people needed a defensive spinblocker (and Jellicent was more useful in a rain metagame.)
Eviolite Dusclops was always unviable in OU, due to its complete lack of offense, inability to spinblock against Tentacruel and Starmie in rain, and lack of reliable healing.

Porygon 2 was a very good one. It was super bulky and had recover, as well as boltbeam or toxic. And Trace came in handy now and then. Poison Heal Gliscor anyone?I agree Avalugg wont top the usage charts, but I wouldnt say hes unviable for OU. I still think hes good lead material

Ahhh... that special defense is MISERABLE.

Great HP and Defense, though. How did you get the confirmation?
cought many, checked IVs; rare candied them up to lvl 50 if they had a 31 IV or 0 IV (yes, the IV checker now says if you have a 0 for a stat), calculated the base stat with the formular.

Meh

using Luigi Player's stats:
252+ Atk Life Orb Mew Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Blissey: 536-630 (75.07 - 88.23%)
252+ SpA Life Orb Mew Aeroblast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Avalugg: 237-279 (60.15 - 70.81%)

(both of these are base 100, so basically the same power on both)

Blissey is worse on the other side and we use her fine, and its not like there is any special Pursuit to trap it (anymore), I actually don't know if it will run any special investment unless it turns out it needs it for something.

...well, that's an interesting calculation.

So, is Blisslug the new thing?
I also doubt it with all these weaknesses and especially the SR weakness... not to mention status (especially toxic) kinda ruins it (unless it uses resttalk), while Blissey has Heal Bell/Aromatherapy and/or just Natural Cure.

At least it can hit back though, and spin hazards.

btw, I added its special attack base stat (44). Not that it matters much lol

Restalk IS a lot better when the team has a Blissey/Chansey on it to wipe the status with one of its two moves, though.

Unfortunately, I did forget the shared fighting weakness, which is much worse than lack of reliable recovery (Skarmbliss did it for two generations without that!)

Its spinning can give it an OU niche, but its impenetrable physical defense with a solid is going to make it a better (Probably UU, depending how UU turns out with whatever drops down/doesnt make it) piloswine in lower tiers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)