Pokémon Avalugg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Avalugg is clearly not a viable OU mon with its terrible defensive typing. Ice is probably the worst defensive typing out there only getting one resist and four weaknesses. That just does not cut it for a defensive wall in the OU metagame. There are just too many good fire and fighting types and he is not capable of taking any special attacks except for an ice beam. Even less bulkier pokemon like excadrill are much better at spinning away hazards because of its ability to switch in on more diverse attacks. If the opponent has any special attacker out there at all, you can't hope to spin because you either will get OHKOd or sacrifice yourself while spinning.

Honestly, I'm worried it will even b e viable in UU with the amount of powerful fire and fighting pokemon in the tier. He also faces stiff competition from blastoise, hitmontop, and tentacruel as bulky rapid spinners.

People look at that juicy defensive stat and think he will be the defensive wall to end all walls. In reality, typing is more important.

Rotosect

Banned deucer.
Avalugg is clearly not a viable OU mon with its terrible defensive typing. Ice is probably the worst defensive typing out there only getting one resist and four weaknesses. That just does not cut it for a defensive wall in the OU metagame. There are just too many good fire and fighting types and he is not capable of taking any special attacks except for an ice beam. Even less bulkier pokemon like excadrill are much better at spinning away hazards because of its ability to switch in on more diverse attacks. If the opponent has any special attacker out there at all, you can't hope to spin because you either will get OHKOd or sacrifice yourself while spinning.

Honestly, I'm worried it will even b e viable in UU with the amount of powerful fire and fighting pokemon in the tier. He also faces stiff competition from blastoise, hitmontop, and tentacruel as bulky rapid spinners.
People look at that juicy defensive stat and think he will be the defensive wall to end all walls. In reality, typing is more important.
Lugia has an atrocious defensive type and it's the best physical wall in ubers (read: a tier where 150+ attacking stats are the norm and its 5 weaknesses are some of the most common offensive types) even before it got Multiscale.
Klefki has the best defensive type in the game numerically speaking and it can't wall anything.
I think this is all that needs to be said about the stats vs type argument.

Avalugg is very viable in OU and the numerous replays in this thread prove it. It needs some support just like every single pokemon; in this case it's in the form of Defog and a special wall that complements it. Avalugg is pretty much a better Donphan no matter how you look at it and last time I checked Donphan not only is viable in OU, but it actually has OU usage.

You people are seriously overplaying the "ice type" argument while brushing off its incredible physical bulk and Recover like they don't matter at all.

Rotosect lugia doesn't have an atrocious defensive typing, nor is it definitely the best wall . basing your argument on fallacious beliefs is simply laughable. not to delve too much into the subject, lugia's typing grants it the ability to check groudon / ekiller / land-t etc. which makes it nifty. a lot of the best ubers player, including myself, agree that lugia is kinda shitty this gen anyway.

i don't think people are overplaying the "ice type" argument. being weak to stealth rock and any special attack is terrible. if you're lucario or genesect or charizard bait (top metagame threats..), that just makes matters worse as you're going to be losing both momentum and some teammates' HP. keep in mind that rapid spinning is a reactive move choice, that is, you're purposefully losing momentum in order to successfully remove stealth rock. in avalugg's case, it cannot afford to be reactive as it lacks options to prevent the opponent from setting up. avalugg loses against tyranitar and heatran, two of the most common stealth rockers, and not to mention things like fire blast garchomp, psycho boost deo-s, etc. it's a shitty mon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)