Average Movesets, EVs and Natures for July 2009

I've never seen a Marowak, not even on the Trick Room teams I've faced. I've seen one or two gravity teams though.

The program that creates these typical movesets doesn't take illegal combinations into account. Also, the typical moveset is not just the four moves listed, but it's 4 moves out of the four moves listed plus any other moves listed afterwards. So, for your Roserade example, the typical moveset is any four moves out of Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Leaf Storm, Spikes, Energy Ball, Synthesis, Rest, Toxic Spikes and Hidden Power Fire. The only reason why Sludge Bomb, Sleep Powder, Leaf Storm and Spikes appear as the first four is that they're the four most used moves out of all moves that Roserade learns.

And for Sceptile, the typical moveset is any four moves out of Substitute, Leaf Storm, Leaf Blade, Leech Seed, Dragon Pulse, Hidden Power Fire, Focus Blast, Swords Dance, Grass Knot, Dragon Claw and Earthquake.

Of course, if you have any algorithm handy in which I can prevent illegal combinations from appearing in typical movesets, as well as maybe present typical movesets to appear less 'unbelievably awful', I'm all ears.
Apparently my post came off in the wrong light. I was merely noting interesting/odd points in the data. The fact that both Spikes and Sleep Powder, two moves that are mutually exclusive, get enough usage to not only be typical for Roserade, but also be in the top 4 of its moves, is a bit surprising. In Sceptile's case, I was actually more interested in the fact that it had so many alternate options listed. The fact that the algorithm happened to list a very noobish moveset was more of an afterthought.

That said, a method of avoiding listing sets with move conflicts is intriguing. The most obvious method would be to simply skip over moves that would cause an illegality, and then make a note of it. In Roserade's case, that would mean listing Energy Ball instead of Spikes. However, I'm not sure if that could cause problems with percentage totals, though the exclusivity of the moves seems to help prevent that.

Methods of avoiding listing bad movesets is, of course, more difficult. A simple way would be to skip over moves that fulfill similar functions to already listed moves. In Sceptile's case, that would mean skipping Leaf Blade (since Leaf Storm is already a powerful Grass attack) and going on to Dragon Pulse. But again, skipping moves may have problems with percentage totals, especially when there is no enforced exclusivity like with move conflicts. And possible interactions with move conflict skipping would only compound things.

Still, though, it's interesting to note that applying the "good moveset" and the "move conflict" algorithm to Roserade gives a typical moveset of Sludge Bomb/Sleep Powder/Leaf Storm/Synthesis, where Spikes is thrown out due to conflict and Energy Ball is discarded due to Leaf Storm being the same but more. Such a moveset would, in fact, be fairly typical of Roserade.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yeah, but certain Salamence do use Draco Meteor and Dragon Pulse on the same set, for instance. In view of that, I decided not to do anything about that at all. Also I don't want to list every possible move illegality in my program.

6.69% of movesets contain bullet punch, and the only 2 users of that are like... Scizor and Metagross @___@
ive been also seeing bullet punch lucarios but yeah the majorly of people uses bullet punch on scizor/metagross

wow theres more endevoir cleffas than FEAR ratattas i never knew they run t-wave too as cleffas way to slow to outpace others even with a t-wave under their belts

Nice stats X-Act.

I wouldn't have noticed this if I weren't accidentally scrolling down the moves instead of the page. Aromatherapy is at an INCREDIBLY high (well, not really) .8%. Heal bell is at a WHOPPING .27%. So in other words, 1% of teams have clerics. Given that stall is not an uncommon thing, I'm surprised that so many stall teams don't employ clerics. Thunder Wave can screw over teams pretty well, etc.

Another interesting point: Stealth Rock theoretically should be at ~16%, no? 11.65% seems awfully low considering that it should be on 1/6 of pokemon.

Nice stats X-Act.

I wouldn't have noticed this if I weren't accidentally scrolling down the moves instead of the page. Aromatherapy is at an INCREDIBLY high (well, not really) .8%. Heal bell is at a WHOPPING .27%. So in other words, 1% of teams have clerics. Given that stall is not an uncommon thing, I'm surprised that so many stall teams don't employ clerics. Thunder Wave can screw over teams pretty well, etc.

Another interesting point: Stealth Rock theoretically should be at ~16%, no? 11.65% seems awfully low considering that it should be on 1/6 of pokemon.
not every team has a stealth rock user

26. SKARMORY (Usages: 60465)

Average EVs: 228 HP, 48 Atk, 168 Def, 36 SpD, 28 Spe
Average Nature Boosts/Reductions: +8.5% Def, -8.5% SpA

Typical moveset:
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Spikes
- Brave Bird
---------------------------------------------------------

Lol, this sounds like a good time for one of my rants about the uselessness of Brave Brid with the Rotom formes and Celebi on every stall team anyways...

No Taunt on Skarmory? I'm so disappointed.

Substitue in UU is rising steadily, nice :)
I still hate the fact that EQ is always the highest on the list <_<
Water moves usually score high too, and the obvious Stealth rock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)