Averagemons - See new thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swirlix has access to belly drum and has unburden, and if you use a sitrus berry it can get to +6 attack and +2 speed very easily. The only thing that can beat it is priority.

This is the set i've decided to use

Swirlix @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Facade

I only use facade in the last slot because i can see no better physical move to take that slot, feel free to change it
You only need 44 Speed EVs to outspeed Scarf users after Unburden. You can invest the rest in bulk.

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
Yeah, gaining a new item cancels out Unburden. I'd run Flamethrower on Slurpuff to nail Steels, but tbh Linoone is probably a better Belly Drum sweeper thanks to Extreme Speed and its better coverage.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
You do not want to understimate Swirlix/Slurpuff. Trust me, I've faced them before. Linoone I haven't, but these things are lethal.

canno

formerly The Reptile
Where's the love for ChestoResto CM Swirlix? It doesn't sweep as fast as BD, but it has better bulk after some CMs and it has much better coverage.

Gyarados with assualt vest as a tank. he gets scald, hydro pump, and fire blast so use.
Ninjask gets bulkier and higher attacking stats could make him a sweeper to surprise.

Sticky web is very useful in the meta game allowing you to outspeed unboosted threats. Defog is unstoppable if you don't carry taunt so counters should be packed.

Spinda with encore and substitute with jolly nature and 252 speed evs counters defogger well. Switch in on defog to get the evasive boost because of contrary and use encore. They will switch out so use substitute and percede to sweep from there. Super power will be your main attacking move and use a rock move for coverage

Wiggly tuff is also a good counter as well as other pokemon with defiant/competitive because they gain a Sp/Atk boost

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gyarados with assualt vest as a tank. he gets scald, hydro pump, and fire blast so use.
Good luck using that base 60 SpA stat.
Spinda with encore and substitute with jolly nature and 252 speed evs counters defogger well.
Most defoggers are faster than Spinda anyway. You won't be outspeeding much with base 60 Speed, no matter how jolly you are.
It's not a bad strategy, but Spinda just flat-out sucks in general, no matter what.

Nevermind, I'm stupid. This is Averagemons, not OU

I really like this meta... so many things are viable. Too bad battles are so hard to find.

Electrode @ Leftovers
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
- Magic Coat

e.g. this. Electrode, with Soundproof and electric typing, completely walls Chatot and anything choiced into Boomburst. Taunt shuts down set up sweepers, Thunder Wave spreads paralysis allowing your team to outspeed, and Magic Coat Bounces back Sableye's shit. Volt Switch gives momentum but Thunderbolt allows you to stay in and keep attacking.

Jynx and the Slowpoke line can have the Oblivious ability, making them immune to taunt. They can also both use Trick+Scarf to make Sableye completely useless. With set-up pretty much the only way to sweep a team, Taunt immunity is pretty useful. Aromatisse can use Calm Mind and hits Sableye for SE damage, Jynx gets Nasty Plot and Lovely Kiss, and the Slowpoke line can also use Calm Mind. Also consider:

Whiscash @ Lum Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute/Toxic
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Waterfall/Zen Headbutt

Whiscash is immune to Taunt due to Oblivious, and T-wave due to its typing. Lum Berry allows it to get rid of a burn once, and Substitute prevents further burns and revenge kills (until broken.) QuakeEdge gives it good coverage, but other attacks can be used. Breloom is a pretty big threat, penetrating a sub with Bullet Seed and resisting QuakeEdge, but can be OHKOed by +2 Zen Headbutt. Toxic is also an option, allowing it to somewhat deal with Unaware Pokemon (Toxic is really the only way of dealing with them, Unaware is seriously powerful.)

All of the talk about pokemon getting stronger because their attack is raised (like Talonflame and the like) are forgetting that, yeah, practically every opponent is bulkier than they used to be. The boost isn't really that impressive in a world of shields.

Could something like having everyone be 80/100/80/100/80/100 (or similar) make Averagemons more "average?" I wonder what the meta would look like if everything had "average" bulk as well as average attack. 100/100/100 bulk is certainly above average.

Could something like having everyone be 80/100/80/100/80/100 (or similar) make Averagemons more "average?" I wonder what the meta would look like if everything had "average" bulk as well as average attack. 100/100/100 bulk is certainly above average.
Please no this will make the meta lean towards offense just like some of the standard metas 80/100/100 is just not good enough to wall many attackers.

If the intent is to make everything average of existing pokemon, all stat spreads should be 65/75/67/65/65/65 as that is average, or 80/90/83/83/83/78 if it is average of fully evolved pokemon.

All of the talk about pokemon getting stronger because their attack is raised (like Talonflame and the like) are forgetting that, yeah, practically every opponent is bulkier than they used to be. The boost isn't really that impressive in a world of shields.
I think Talonflame at least has gotten a real offensive boost. Even though defenses for most pokemon have increased, there aren't any extremely physically defensive walls anymore. Now Talonflame can 1 hit any non-resistant pokemon without defense evs after one swords dance if it holds sharp beak. This isn't the case in OU.

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
All the talk about different averages made me think, what if mons of each type had their statistical averages instead... like say, fire has 82/94/81/105/88/80 on bulbapedia.

That being said, I like it as it is. I think deviating from the balanced out 100/100 stats takes away the best thing about the metagame. For instance, this is like probably the only metagame where chatot is viable.

Just to let you know, "average" could mean:

-Mean (what you guys want to use), in which all the stats are added up and divided by 718
-Mode (what this meta uses) where the most common stat distribution is used (there are 5 Base 100 everything)
-Median (which nobody should even consider), in which the middle value (in this case the 359.5th value, Absol and Wynaut combined/2) is used. But a meta where your best stat is HP at a miniscule 79 value sucks.

Basically the status quo IS average, just not the average everyone immediately thinks of.

All the talk about different averages made me think, what if mons of each type had their statistical averages instead... like say, fire has 82/94/81/105/88/80 on bulbapedia.

That being said, I like it as it is. I think deviating from the balanced out 100/100 stats takes away the best thing about the metagame. For instance, this is like probably the only metagame where chatot is viable.
Would infernape have fire's stats or fighting's stats though? Or would it be the average of both if them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)