Azelf [4N] - Rain Dance

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Azelf being one of, if not the best OU Rain Dance lead, its surprising it doesn't have a set in the analysis, so I thought I'd write one up. I feel the Azelf Rain Dance Lead is different enough to the other lead set to need its own set. Anyway, I've spent a decent amount of time on this so I think I've dealt with most grammar issues, etc but proofreading is still obviously needed, please critique away.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/azelf

[SET]
name: Rain Dance Lead
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Stealth Rock / U-turn
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Explosion
item: Damp Rock
ability: Levitate
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
ivs: 1 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is arguably the best OU Rain Dance lead that can help put the momentum in your favour. The main thing which Azelf has over other fast but fragile leads like Electrode and Crobat is its access to Stealth Rock, which means it can quickly punish people who tend to switch to try and stall out your Rain Dance turns. Even though Crobat and Electrode have access to a faster Taunt, Electrode often can only set up Rain Dance and then faint, meaning it must carry a Focus Sash and lose the extra 3 turns of Rain that Damp Rock provides. Crobat may have access to Roost and a faster Taunt, but without Explosion it can't blow holes in teams like Azelf can. Azelf can easily set up Rain Dance and Stealth Rock against all the common leads barring Aerodactyl leads with Taunt, Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch Metagross leads who have a very high chance to 2HKO Azelf, and also Choice Scarf Jirachi leads.</p>

<p>With Taunt, Azelf can stop Pokemon like Hippowdon from setting up Stealth Rock while they are unable to do much damage back. Other than Choice Scarf versions, Azelf's Taunt also stops Smeargle and Roserade from putting Azelf to sleep while you can set up Stealth Rock to break their sash the next time they switch in. Explosion, even with only 4 Atk EVs, can still deal a maximum of 97.77% to a max HP / Def Swampert and 78.33% to a max HP / Def Hippowdon, and these are the bulkiest of leads.</p>

<p>U-turn can easily replace Stealth Rock should you have Stealth Rock on another member of your team since it allows you to break the opposing lead's Focus Sash should they carry one, and switch to a counter as otherwise it could easily Taunt you while you can't do anything but Explode. It also allows you to escape from Tyranitar leads lacking Pursuit whilst dealing a bit of damage. The EVs give it maximum bulk while retaining maximum Speed. Damp Rock can be replaced by Focus Sash should you prefer its safety net but that makes it outclassed by Electrode, and no common lead barring Jirachi can take you out before you set up Rain Dance anyway. A 1 SpA IV is used to make the IVs legal, and since you are only using physical moves it doesn't affect Azelf.</p>

<p>Azelf has a lot of trouble against Scarf Jirachi leads therefore a Pokemon who can take Iron Heads makes a great partner to Azelf. Bronzong, Jirachi, Scizor, Swampert, and Zapdos are probably the best as they can all take Iron Heads easily barring a lot of Iron Head flinches, and can also set up the Rain themselves helping out your Swift Swim sweepers. Magnezone is another great option as it can trap Jirachi with Magnet Pull while being able to set up Rain Dance itself and hit back with powerful Thunderbolts. Scizor and Swampert can deal with Aerodactyl leads who will Taunt Azelf rendering it useless. Pokemon who can take advantage of the Rain and Stealth Rock make great partners to Azelf. Kingdra and Ludicolo are excellent options as a Naughty 240 SpA Kingdra can always OHKO the standard Bold 252 HP Zapdos and has a 74.36% chance to OHKO a Modest 252 HP Togekiss with Hydro Pump if Stealth Rock are on the field and Rain is up. Modest 252 SpA Ludicolo always OHKO's the standard 248 HP standard Choice Band Scizor with Surf when Stealth Rock are on the field and Rain Dance is up, whereas without Stealth Rock, Scizor would have a 58.97% to survive and OHKO Ludicolo with U-turn.</p>

<p>Azelf, arguably the best OU Rain Dance lead, can help put the momentum on your team’s side. The main thing which Azelf has over other fast but fragile leads like Electrode and Crobat is its access to Stealth Rock, which means it can quickly punish people who tend to want to switch a lot to try and stall out your Rain Dance turns. Even though Crobat and Electrode have access to a faster Taunt, Electrode often can only set up Rain Dance and then faint, meaning it must carry a Focus Sash and lose 3 turns of Rain. Crobat may have access to Roost and a faster Taunt, but without Explosion it can't blow holes in teams like Azelf can. Azelf can easily set up Rain Dance and Stealth Rock (no s) against all the common leads barring Aerodactyl leads with taunt, Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch Metagross leads, who have a very high chance to 2HKO Azelf, and also Choice Scarf Jirachi leads.</p>

<p>With Taunt Azelf, one can stop Pokemon like Hippowdon from setting up Stealth Rock while they are unable to do much damage back. Other than the scarf versions, Azelf’s taunt also stops Smeargle and Roserade from putting Azelf to sleep while you can set up Stealth Rock to break their sash (removed “their”) the next time they switch in. Explosion, even with only 4 Atk EVs, can still deal a maximum of 97.52% to a max HP / Def (space between “HP” and “/”) Swampert and 78.10% to a max HP / Def (space here as well) Hippowdon, and these are the bulkiest of leads.</p>
will edit with the rest soon

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Thanks Cost edited the first two paragraphs. I've kept Taunt with a capital though as I'm pretty sure that's how its meant to be.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
Done, for some reason I forgot about going lower than a HP 70 for legal IVs. Its now got a 1 SpA IV. I have also edited the Explosion damage calculations to take this into account. Thanks.

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is arguably the best OU Rain Dance lead that can help put the momentum in your favor. The main thing which Azelf has over other fast but fragile leads like Electrode and Crobat is its access to Stealth Rock, which means it can quickly punish people who tend to switch to try and stall out your Rain Dance turns. Even though Crobat and Electrode have access to a faster Taunt, [Electrode often can only set up Rain Dance and then faint, meaning it must carry a Focus Sash and lose 3 turns of Rain.] This sounds really confusing, how is it losing three turns of rain? Taunt first turn, Rain Dance second turn, explode right after. Crobat may have access to Roost and a faster Taunt, but without Explosion it can't blow holes in teams like Azelf can. Azelf can easily set up Rain Dance and Stealth Rock against all the common leads barring Aerodactyl leads with Taunt, Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch Metagross leads, and also Choice Scarf Jirachi leads.</p>

<p>With Taunt, Azelf can stop Pokemon like Hippowdon from setting up Stealth Rock while they are unable to do much damage back. Other than Choice Scarf versions, Azelf's Taunt also stops Smeargle and Roserade from putting Azelf to sleep while you can set up Stealth Rock to break their sash the next time they switch in. Explosion, even with only 4 Atk EVs, can still deal a maximum of 97.77% to a max HP / Def Swampert and 78.33% to a max HP / Def Hippowdon, and these are the bulkiest of leads.</p>

<p>U-turn can easily replace Stealth Rock should you have Stealth Rock on another member of your team since it allows you to break the opposing lead's Focus Sash should they carry one, and switch to a counter as otherwise it could easily Taunt you while you can't do anything but Explode. It also allows you to escape from Tyranitar leads lacking Pursuit whilst dealing a bit of damage. The EVs give it maximum bulk while still retaining maximum Speed. Damp Rock can be replaced by Focus Sash should you prefer its safety net but that makes it outclassed by Electrode, and no common lead barring Jirachi can take you out before you set up Rain Dance anyway.</p>

<p>Azelf has a lot of trouble against Scarf Jirachi leads, therefore a Pokemon who can take Iron Heads makes a great partner to Azelf. Bronzong, Jirachi, Zapdos, Swampert and Scizor are probably the best as they can all take Iron Heads easily barring a lot of Iron Head flinches, and can also set up the Rain themselves helping out your Swift Swim sweepers [Magnezone needs a definite mention]. Scizor and Swampert can also deal with Aerodactyl leads who will Taunt Azelf rendering it useless. Pokemon who can take advantage of the Rain and Stealth Rock make great partners to Azelf. Kingdra and Ludicolo are excellent options as a Naughty 240 SpA Kingdra can always OHKO the standard Bold 252 HP Zapdos and have a 74.36% chance to OHKO Modest 252 HP Togekiss with Hydro Pump if Stealth Rock is on the field. Modest 252 SpA Ludicolo always OHKO's the standard Choice Band Scizor with Surf who would otherwise have a [58.97% to survive and take Ludicolo out with U-turn] What does that mean? You say that Ludicolo can OHKO Scizor with Surf, but then you say it can survive with 58% chance. Are you talking about Hydro Pump?.</p>

A bit of problems here are there.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
Its losing 3 turns of Rain as it has to carry Focus Sash for survival whereas Azelf can hold Damp Rock without many problems and so gets 3 more turns of Rain. Anyway, thanks for your proofreading, I'll edit in stuff, I keep forgetting about Magnezone. That Ludicolo calculation is saying what would happen if Stealth Rock wasn't up.
EDIT: I've done the changes and made the Ludicolo and Electrode things less confusing.

Its losing 3 turns of Rain as it has to carry Focus Sash for survival whereas Azelf can hold Damp Rock without many problems and so gets 3 more turns of Rain. Anyway, thanks for your proofreading, I'll edit in stuff, I keep forgetting about Magnezone. That Ludicolo calculation is saying what would happen if Stealth Rock wasn't up.
EDIT: I've done the changes and made the Ludicolo and Electrode things less confusing.
Electrode uses Taunt first turn, opposing lead attacks.

Electrode uses Rain Dance, opposing lead attacks, Electrode faints.

OR

Electrode uses Rain Dance, opposing lead sets up entry hazards.

Electrode uses Explosion.

With the first scenario, you are wasting one Rain Dance turn, with the second scenario, you are only wasting two Rain Dance turns.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
I don't think you get what I'm saying, Electrode is carrying Focus Sash, Azelf is carrying Damp Rock. Azelf therefore has 8 turns of rain, Electrode has 5 turns. Electrode is losing 3 turns as it has to run Focus Sash over Damp Rock if it wants to do anything but set up rain dance due to its lack of bulk and weakness to Earthquake, a common move on many leads.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
Putting in Thunder makes its set identical to Electrode who is faster, ok you don't have to run Focus Sash with Azelf but still you don't want to compare it too much with Electrode. However, if enough people think thats a good option, I'll put it in as a minor option, not as a slash.

I don't think you get what I'm saying, Electrode is carrying Focus Sash, Azelf is carrying Damp Rock. Azelf therefore has 8 turns of rain, Electrode has 5 turns. Electrode is losing 3 turns as it has to run Focus Sash over Damp Rock if it wants to do anything but set up rain dance due to its lack of bulk and weakness to Earthquake, a common move on many leads.
Oh, now I understand. I apologize, I forgot about Azelf running Damp Rock. But, I still don't see the reason in saying that, because Damp Rock is still an item Electrode can use. It's actually better if Electrode uses Rain Dance then dies when the opponent attacks, no Rain Dance turns wasted.

EDIT: Thunder should not be mentioned at all. It receives no STAB, it doesn't hit many of the leads hard enough for a 2HKO, and Azelf isn't even running any Special Attack. Besides, Azelf is meant to use Rain Dance, then get out of th way for the sweepers, it's not meant to spam Thunder which wouldn't hit anything hard.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
The point is if Electrode carries Damp Rock, it is unlikely going to be able to use Taunt since Taunt is expected and it will just be taken out straight away. Azelf can carry Damp Rock and get up RD and SR against most common leads, and even Explode afterwards against many. Obviously, you can use Damp Rock on Electrode but I think its too risky, I can take that bit out if its considered too confusing by most people. Don't worry, I won't be mentioning Thunder.

I'm still looking for one more proofread if anyone wants to, then I think this is done.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You have to explain why you have those ivs in the analysis

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)