Azelf (BW2 Update) [QC: 3/3] (GP: 2/2)

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Been sitting here for a few days. Is there anything else that needs to be changed/fixed?

Governess

is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok ok, 3 checks.. I gotta write it out before I implement the 3rd check, and change it to Copywriting once it's approved. I'll have it ready by the end of the day.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, BKC's approval came too early - please finish writing your analysis and wait for the 3rd approval before having it grammar checked. You know the drill, Governess ;)

Governess

Yeah; something urgent came up last night, didnt get to finish the write-up. I'll have it done as soon as I can.

Governess

Ok, finally written this fully out. Like I mentioned above, did I do the &mdash right? I did it near the end, either the 3rd set, or the C&C, not sure.

Governess

Kk, well, if its fine then, I'll implement the final check. Also, can any GP members tell me if I did the &mdash right? It's near the end of the analysis. Other than that, have at it, GP! =)

Governess

Ugh, my spacing is so weird.. I'm sorry, I cant have it fixed until I can get this spacing fixed up. This laptop is messing it up @-@ My apologies.

Governess

My apologies for all the tumoil I caused with it. Finally, I fixed it up, NOW it's ready for GP. ^^;

tehy

Banned deucer.
Jukain/Pokemon0078 has a point, and i'm stupid because I thought of a 10X better way to do it.

The goal of this set is to set up Stealth Rock on the field, while preventing the opponent from doing the same with Taunt.

Edit: Starmie speed ties with it, you know.
Espeon had Magic Mirror in bw1 as I recall so it wasn't that transition.
Forretress is not immune to thunderbolt. Maybe talk about Lead Hippowdon or something, or you could talk about, say, lead Celebi, who's weak to it.
If Azelf outspeeds and OHKOs cloyster, why do you need rotom-W to deal with it? Also, when you say break its sash, you should say OHKO through it. Breaking its sash is something any attack will do. And by the way, the way you wrote it makes it seem like Skill link just negates sashes, instead of letting you hit with multi-hit attacks at full strength, which usually OHKO's through sashes.
Double edit: Well if you are then i'm not
And ESPECIALLY not if nixhex is.
So many of my comments may mean little but i'll still leave stuff.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
unless the reader has zero knowledge, I seriously doubt the fluff is necessary, tehy. I'll also be am checking this (ugh, placeholders but w/e).

[Overview]

<p>Bearing the grand title asof The Being of Willpower, Azelf does a fine job living up to such an honorable namenot disappoint. Its offensive stats are fantastic; base 125 in both Attack and Special Attack areis nothing to be taken lightly. Azelf is also blessed with a blazing Speed of base 115, outspeeding all allmost of the OU tier. Azelf also has a very wide movepool, which allows it to playfill a variety of roles, granting it accessthe ability [weird word] to fit on a variety of teams. It doesn't end there; Azelf also is known as one of the best dual screeners in OU, having accessing to both Stealth Rock and Taunt, both of which combine to earns Azelf a spot as a respectable lead as well.</p>

<p>However, at the end of the day, Azelf doesn't come without flaws. While Azelf can play many roles, tTeam pPreview makes it painfully obvious what role Azelf plays on thea team. Azelf also has pitiful defenses; it can rarely absorb more than two hits. Nothing has changed for Azelf in the BW2 transition, while to BW2; (semi) Pokemon likesuch as Espeon learns much preferred abilitieshave traits that are more in-demand, giving Azelf major competition in the OU environment. Nonetheless, Azelf is a powerful threat,(RC) and should be treated as such, as underestimating it will cause you to regret it.</p>

[SET]
name: Suicide Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Thunderbolt
move 4: Fire Blast
item: Focus Sash
ability: Levitate
nature: Timid
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf was a very popular lead in DPP, and while it isn't as on-demandcommon as it was then, it's still a set used to successful set today. The goal of this set is to set up Stealth Rock on the field,(RC) while preventing the opponent from doing the same. This set is very effective against other common leads, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. Thunderbolt provides excellent coverage, especially against Xatu, whose ability Magic Guard foils Azelf's plan to set up Stealth Rock. It also deals heavy damage to Starmie and Tentacruel. Fire Blast rounds out thiAzelf's coverage, hitting those Steel-types severely hard, as well asnd allowing Azelf to handlinge opposing leads whothat are immune to Thunderbolt, such as Forretress, respectivelyLandorus-T.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash grants Azelf the chanceability to survive a hit so it can lay Stealth Rock reliably. Having a Timid nature is almost mandatory, as it maximizes Azelf'sthe most crucial aspect of this set: Speed. 252 EVs in Special Attack allows Azelf to make use of its stellar offenses. There aren't many other options for this set, as it is pretty straightfoward. Pokemon that possess the ability Magic Bounce are by far the biggest threats to this set; the ability allows the wielder to reflect Stealth Rock and Taunt back at Azelf. Espeon in particular can not only reflect Azelf's support move, i but can also take all of Azelf's attacks, and heal iting off any damage with Morning Sun or Wish. For this reason, Volcarona is a good ally tofor Azelf, as it can easily get rid of Espeon. Rotom-W is a great partner as well; it can deal with Cloyster, a Pokemon that can break through Azelf's Focus Sash with its ability Skill Link. However, not only does Azelf outspeeds Cloyster, it and can OHKO it as well with Thunderbolt, so it's not that big of a threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screen s
move 1: Reflect
move 2: Light Screen
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Stealth Rock / U-turn / Explosion
item: Light Clay
nature: Timid / Jolly
evs: 168 HP / 88 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Azelf's outstanding Speed and access to very useful support moves, it can run a dual screen set,(RC) and achieve well with it. Despite Azelf's subpar defenses, it still has the potential to get a screen or two up to aid its teammates. Reflect and Light Screen allows a fellow teammate to set up or sweep, as well asnd make taking powerful hits much easier. Taunt is what makes Azelf stand out from other dual screeners, as it prevents set-up sweepers from advancsetting up against Azelf, along with(RC) and stoppings opposing leads in their tracks. The final moveselot depends on preference. Usually, Azelf is unable to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. However, after Azelf has set up the appropriate amount of screens, as both screens are not always necessary, it can proceed to set up Stealth Rock if it has the time. U-Tturn couldan be used to gain momentum when you sense danger, andwhile Explosion gives a free switch -in to youra teammate, (AC) though it should only be used after a screen is are up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay is an invaliduable item tofor this set, (AC) asince it increases the duration of the screen's durability. The given EV spread gives Azelf as much bulk as possible;, (AC) preventing an OHKO from a Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch from OHKOing, even after sand damage. The Speed EVs allow Azelf to set up the dual screens as quickly as possible. TauntExplosion can be removused in place of ExplosionTaunt in the third moveslot, as it pairs well with Stealth Rock, along with preventing slower spinners and Starmie (only 50% of the time against the latter) from removing Stealth Rock 50% of the time. Timid is the best option as a nature if Azelf doesn't run any attacking moves in order [flow] to reduce confusion recoil,; (semi) however, Jolly is the better choice if U-turn or Explosion is used. Flamethrower could be used to handle Scizor, asince it would otherwise limit Azelf to one screen. Signal Beam couldis also be an option to hithoroughly check Celebi and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>This variant of Azelf works very well on hyper offensive teams, so haveing set-up sweepers who bthat yenefit from having screens up are useful. Pokemon such as Swords Dance Scizor or Terrakion and Dragon Dance Salamence can take advantage of the dual screens. There aren't manyother threats to thais set don't differ from the suicide set. Also, Volcarona and Cloyster gets a bonus from Taunt; they can set up with ease if Azelf can prevent Stealth Rock from going up on the field.</p>

[SET]
name: Special Attacker
move 1: U-Tturn
move 2: Psyshock / Psychic
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: Hidden Power Fighting / Grass Knot
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is more than capable forof running an all-out attacking set with its above-average offenses and Speed. This set is great for weakening opponents late-game,(RC) and can tackle a variety of Pokemon thanks to its great coverage. U-turn is great for pivoting against the opponing moment, as well as predicum and scouting ahead of them.. [what you said made no sense] Psyshock is the supremerior STAB option for Azelf, as it can tame thosehit specially defensive beast walls, (AC) such as Blissey and Chansey, (AC) hard. However, Psychic sports more power,(RC) and a chance to lower the possiblefoe's Special Defense drop. Fire Blast haprovides coverage overn Steel-types Azelf would normally have issues with. The final moveslot is based on what threats arise ontrouble your team; if you struggle with Heatran or Tyranitar, Hidden Power Fighting is the ideal choice. If you have difficulties defeating Starmie ofr Gastrodon, Grass Knot is the move of choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Azelf thate needed power to break through walls. A Timid nature is used to maximize Azelf's Speed, a vital stat for this set. Azelf has thecan run a classic attacking set with 252 EVs in both Attack and Special Attack. Lum Berry is a valid option because it gets rids of any status inflictions Azelf may obtain, otheright be afflicted with; (se Azelfmi) any status would be rendered uelescause drops in both itAzelf's duration and performance. However, Azelf's power is significantly dropped from the loss of the Life Orb. Nasty Plot can beis an option infor the first moveslot; not only does it boosts Azelf's Special Attack stat to amazing heights, but it also does well against stall teams and defensive cores in general. However, due to Azelf's lacking defenses, it rarely grasps the opportunity to set up, making Nasty Plot not as reliable. If you don't fancy the accuracy rate Fire Blast has, Flamethrower couldan be used in its place. The power drop is easily noticed, however. Shadow Ball couldan be used as well in this moveset; it allows Azelf to handle Pokemon such as Latias, Starmie, and Espeon much easier. Energy Ball can replace Grass Knot as well, asince the occasional drop in Special Defense can be useful in certain situations.</p>

<p>Azelf does not need much team support since its vast variety of coverage moves allow it to manage itself on its own. That being said, the biggest threats to this set&mdash;and Azelf in general&mdash;are Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias. They can wall all of Azelf's attacks,(RC) and rRecover off any excess damage with Recover. Swords Dance Scizor is a great partner to Azelf due to the fact that Scizor can check all three of these Pokemon with Bug Bite. InFor the situation that either of the Eon twins carry Hidden Power Fire, Heatran can be a good partner in alongsideddition to Scizor, as Heatran can takforming a core withe Fire-type attacks aimed at it, forming a small defensive synergy that greatly aids Azelf in the long run.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Due to Azelf's wide movepool, it has lots of options to choose from. A Calm Mind set is viable, thowever,ugh Azelf's frailness doesn't give it many chances to even set up Calm Mind. Azelf can also be paired with Politoed and be an effective rain sweeper with Thunder.utilize Thunder. [that statement just isn't true] Choice Specs is also an option for Azelf, but the Special Attacker set already accomplishes what thea Choice Specs set would have [would've is awkward] without being locked into a move. Since Azelf has great selections for physical attacking moves, such as Zen Headbutt and Fire Blast, a Choice Band set could be used to utilize that. Finally, Azelf halearns many useful support moves, such as Thunder Wave and Toxic, giving it the option to play a supporting role. However, Azelf's defenses once again hold it back from successfully pulling off thisuch a set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Azelf's poor defenses are its ultimate downfall, so defeatKOing it with the right move isn't too difficult. Pokemon with priority moves can KO Azelf before it gets the chance to strike back. Choice Band Scizor, for example, can easily defeat Azelf with Bullet Punch. Scizor also has access to Pursuit, (AC) alongsides does Tyranitar, both of which can traprevent Azelf from switching out safely and finish it off with their STAB moves. The formaler must be wary of Fire Blast, andwhile the latter must watch out for Hidden Power Fighting. Status inflictions, such as paralysis, can stop Azelf from achieving most of its taskgoals. Jirachi and Prankster Whimsicott can easily paralyze itAzelf. Jellicent theand specially defensive variant of Heatran can wall Azelf. THowever, (AC) they must be very careful of Grass Knot and Hidden pPower Fighting, respectively. Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias can also wall Azelf like clockwork if Azelf doesn't carry Shadow Ball. Latios and Latias are great switch-ins to Azelf, though a Life Orb U-turn severely dents both of them. Overall, Azelf's large selection of coverage moves make it difficult to counter it, but if you can identify the set in which the opponent has for AzelfAzelf's moveset, defeating it woisn't be a difficult task.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Bearing the grand title of The Being of Willpower, Azelf does not disappoint. Its offensive stats are fantastic; base 125 in both Attack and Special Attack is nothing to be taken lightly. Azelf is also blessed with a blazing Speed of base 115, outspeeding most of the OU tier. Azelf also has a very wide movepool, which allows it to fill a variety of roles, granting it the ability to fit on a variety of teams. It doesn't end there; Azelf also is known as one of the best dual screeners in OU, having access to both Stealth Rock and Taunt, which combine to earn Azelf a spot as a respectable lead.</p>

<p>However, at the end of the day, Azelf doesn't come without flaws. While Azelf can play many roles, Team Preview makes it painfully obvious what role Azelf plays on a team. Azelf also has pitiful defenses; it can rarely absorb more than two hits. Nothing has changed for Azelf in the transition to BW2; Pokemon such as Espeon have traits that are more in-demand, giving Azelf major competition in the OU environment. Nonetheless, Azelf is a powerful threat and should be treated as such, as underestimating it will cause you to regret it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf was a very popular lead in DPP, and while it isn't as common as it was then, it's still a successful set today. The goal of this set is to set up Stealth Rock on the field while preventing the opponent from doing the same. This set is very effective against other common leads, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. Thunderbolt provides excellent coverage, especially against Xatu, whose ability Magic Guard foils Azelf's plan to set up Stealth Rock. It also deals heavy damage to Starmie and Tentacruel. Fire Blast rounds out Azelf's coverage, hitting Steel-types very hard and allowing Azelf to handle opposing leads that are immune to Thunderbolt, such as Landorus-T.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash grants Azelf the ability to survive a hit so it can lay Stealth Rock reliably. Having a Timid nature is almost mandatory, as it maximizes the most crucial aspect of this set: Speed. 252 EVs in Special Attack allow Azelf to make use of its stellar offenses. There aren't many other options for this set, as it is pretty straightfoward. Pokemon that possess the ability Magic Bounce are by far the biggest threats to this set. Espeon in particular can not only reflect Azelf's support move but also take all of Azelf's attacks, healing off any damage with Morning Sun or Wish. For this reason, Volcarona is a good ally for Azelf, as it can easily get rid of Espeon. Rotom-W is a great partner as well; it can deal with Cloyster, a Pokemon that can break through Azelf's Focus Sash with its ability Skill Link. However, Azelf outspeeds Cloyster and can OHKO it with Thunderbolt, so it's not that big of a threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screens

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Azelf's outstanding Speed and access to very useful support moves, it can run a dual screen set and achieve well with it. Despite Azelf's subpar defenses, it still has the potential to get a screen or two up to aid its teammates. Reflect and Light Screen allow a fellow teammate to set up or sweep and make taking powerful hits much easier. Taunt is what makes Azelf stand out from other dual screeners, as it prevents setup sweepers from setting up against Azelf and stops opposing leads in their tracks. The final moveslot depends on preference. Usually, Azelf is unable to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. However, after Azelf has set up the appropriate amount of screens, as both screens are not always necessary, it can proceed to set up Stealth Rock if it has the time. U-turn can be used to gain momentum when you sense danger, while Explosion gives a free switch-in to a teammate, though it should only be used after screens are up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay is an invaluable item for this set, as it increases the duration of the screens. The given EV spread gives Azelf as much bulk as possible, preventing Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch from OHKOing, even after sand damage. The Speed EVs allow Azelf to set up dual screens as quickly as possible. Explosion can be used in place of Taunt in the third moveslot, as it pairs well with Stealth Rock, preventing slower spinners and Starmie (only 50% of the time against the latter) from removing Stealth Rock. Timid is the best option as a nature if Azelf doesn't run any attacking moves in order to reduce confusion recoil; however, Jolly is the better choice if U-turn or Explosion is used. Flamethrower could be used to handle Scizor, as it would otherwise limit Azelf to one screen. Signal Beam is also an option to hit Celebi and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>This variant of Azelf works very well on hyper offense teams, so having setup sweepers that yenefit from having screens up are useful. Pokemon such as Swords Dance Scizor or Terrakion and Dragon Dance Salamence can take advantage of the dual screens. The other threats to this set don't differ from the suicide set. Also, Volcarona and Cloyster get a bonus from Taunt; they can set up with ease if Azelf can prevent Stealth Rock from going up on the field.</p>

[SET]
move 1: U-turn

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is more than capable of running an all-out attacking set with its above-average offenses and Speed. This set is great for weakening opponents late-game and can tackle a variety of Pokemon thanks to its great coverage. U-turn is great for gaining momentum and scouting. Psyshock is the superior STAB option for Azelf, as it can hit special walls, such as Blissey and Chansey, hard. However, Psychic sports more power and a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense. Fire Blast provides coverage on Steel-types Azelf would normally have issues with. The final moveslot is based on what threats trouble your team; if you struggle with Heatran or Tyranitar, Hidden Power Fighting is the ideal choice. If you have difficulties defeating Starmie or Gastrodon, Grass Knot is the move of choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Azelf the needed power to break through walls. A Timid nature is used to maximize Azelf's Speed, a vital stat for this set. Azelf can run a classic attacking set with 252 EVs in both Attack and Special Attack. Lum Berry is a valid option because it gets rid of any status Azelf might be afflicted with; any status would cause drops in Azelf's duration and performance. However, Azelf's power is significantly dropped from the loss of Life Orb. Nasty Plot is an option for the first moveslot; not only does it boosts Azelf's Special Attack stat to amazing heights, but it also does well against stall teams and defensive cores in general. However, due to Azelf's lacking defenses, it rarely grasps the opportunity to set up, making Nasty Plot not as reliable. If you don't fancy the accuracy rate Fire Blast has, Flamethrower can be used in its place. The power drop is easily noticed, however. Shadow Ball can be used as well in this moveset; it allows Azelf to handle Pokemon such as Latias, Starmie, and Espeon much easier. Energy Ball can replace Grass Knot as well, as the occasional drop in Special Defense can be useful in certain situations.</p>

<p>Azelf does not need much team support since its vast variety of coverage moves allow it to manage itself on its own. That being said, the biggest threats to this set&mdash;and Azelf in general&mdash;are Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias. They can wall all of Azelf's attacks and Recover off any excess damage. Swords Dance Scizor is a great partner to Azelf due to the fact that Scizor can check all three of these Pokemon with Bug Bite. For the situation that either of the Eon twins carry Hidden Power Fire, Heatran can be a good partner in addition to Scizor, forming a core with defensive synergy that greatly aids Azelf.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Due to Azelf's wide movepool, it has lots of options to choose from. A Calm Mind set is viable, though Azelf's frailness doesn't give it many chances to even set up Calm Mind. Azelf can also be paired with Politoed utilize Thunder. Choice Specs is also an option for Azelf, but the Special Attacker set already accomplishes what a Choice Specs set would have without being locked into a move. Since Azelf has great selections for physical attacking moves, such as Zen Headbutt and Fire Blast, a Choice Band set could be used to utilize that. Finally, Azelf learns many useful support moves, such as Thunder Wave and Toxic, giving it the option to play a supporting role. However, Azelf's defenses once again hold it back from successfully pulling off such a set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Azelf's poor defenses are its ultimate downfall, so KOing it isn't too difficult. Pokemon with priority moves can KO Azelf before it gets the chance to strike back. Choice Band Scizor, for example, can easily defeat Azelf with Bullet Punch. Scizor also has access to Pursuit, as does Tyranitar, both of which can prevent Azelf from switching out safely and finish it off with their STAB moves. The former must be wary of Fire Blast, while the latter must watch out for Hidden Power Fighting. Status inflictions, such as paralysis, can stop Azelf from achieving most of its goals. Jirachi and Prankster Whimsicott can easily paralyze Azelf. Jellicent and specially defensive Heatran can wall Azelf. However, they must be very careful of Grass Knot and Hidden Power Fighting, respectively. Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias can also wall Azelf like clockwork if Azelf doesn't carry Shadow Ball. Latios and Latias are great switch-ins to Azelf, though a Life Orb U-turn severely dents both of them. Overall, Azelf's large selection of coverage moves make it difficult to counter, but if you can identify Azelf's moveset, defeating it isn't be a difficult task.</p>

I tried the absolute best I could to leave your prose, but it doesn't seem like you know how to write English very well; that will only come with time.

Governess

unless the reader has zero knowledge, I seriously doubt the fluff is necessary, tehy. I'll also be am checking this (ugh, placeholders but w/e).

[Overview]

<p>Bearing the grand title asof The Being of Willpower, Azelf does a fine job living up to such an honorable namenot disappoint. Its offensive stats are fantastic; base 125 in both Attack and Special Attack areis nothing to be taken lightly. Azelf is also blessed with a blazing Speed of base 115, outspeeding all allmost of the OU tier. Azelf also has a very wide movepool, which allows it to playfill a variety of roles, granting it accessthe ability [weird word] to fit on a variety of teams. It doesn't end there; Azelf also is known as one of the best dual screeners in OU, having accessing to both Stealth Rock and Taunt, both of which combine to earns Azelf a spot as a respectable lead as well.</p>

<p>However, at the end of the day, Azelf doesn't come without flaws. While Azelf can play many roles, tTeam pPreview makes it painfully obvious what role Azelf plays on thea team. Azelf also has pitiful defenses; it can rarely absorb more than two hits. Nothing has changed for Azelf in the BW2 transition, while to BW2; (semi) Pokemon likesuch as Espeon learns much preferred abilitieshave traits that are more in-demand, giving Azelf major competition in the OU environment. Nonetheless, Azelf is a powerful threat,(RC) and should be treated as such, as underestimating it will cause you to regret it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf was a very popular lead in DPP, and while it isn't as on-demandcommon as it was then, it's still a set used to successful set today. The goal of this set is to set up Stealth Rock on the field,(RC) while preventing the opponent from doing the same. This set is very effective against other common leads, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. Thunderbolt provides excellent coverage, especially against Xatu, whose ability Magic Guard foils Azelf's plan to set up Stealth Rock. It also deals heavy damage to Starmie and Tentacruel. Fire Blast rounds out thiAzelf's coverage, hitting those Steel-types severely hard, as well asnd allowing Azelf to handlinge opposing leads whothat are immune to Thunderbolt, such as Forretress, respectivelyLandorus-T.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash grants Azelf the chanceability to survive a hit so it can lay Stealth Rock reliably. Having a Timid nature is almost mandatory, as it maximizes Azelf'sthe most crucial aspect of this set: Speed. 252 EVs in Special Attack allows Azelf to make use of its stellar offenses. There aren't many other options for this set, as it is pretty straightfoward. Pokemon that possess the ability Magic Bounce are by far the biggest threats to this set; the ability allows the wielder to reflect Stealth Rock and Taunt back at Azelf. Espeon in particular can not only reflect Azelf's support move, i but can also take all of Azelf's attacks, and heal iting off any damage with Morning Sun or Wish. For this reason, Volcarona is a good ally tofor Azelf, as it can easily get rid of Espeon. Rotom-W is a great partner as well; it can deal with Cloyster, a Pokemon that can break through Azelf's Focus Sash with its ability Skill Link. However, not only does Azelf outspeeds Cloyster, it and can OHKO it as well with Thunderbolt, so it's not that big of a threat.</p>

[SET]
name: Dual Screen s

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Azelf's outstanding Speed and access to very useful support moves, it can run a dual screen set,(RC) and achieve well with it. Despite Azelf's subpar defenses, it still has the potential to get a screen or two up to aid its teammates. Reflect and Light Screen allows a fellow teammate to set up or sweep, as well asnd make taking powerful hits much easier. Taunt is what makes Azelf stand out from other dual screeners, as it prevents set-up sweepers from advancsetting up against Azelf, along with(RC) and stoppings opposing leads in their tracks. The final moveselot depends on preference. Usually, Azelf is unable to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. However, after Azelf has set up the appropriate amount of screens, as both screens are not always necessary, it can proceed to set up Stealth Rock if it has the time. U-Tturn couldan be used to gain momentum when you sense danger, andwhile Explosion gives a free switch -in to youra teammate, (AC) though it should only be used after a screen is are up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay is an invaliduable item tofor this set, (AC) asince it increases the duration of the screen's durability. The given EV spread gives Azelf as much bulk as possible;, (AC) preventing an OHKO from a Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch from OHKOing, even after sand damage. The Speed EVs allow Azelf to set up the dual screens as quickly as possible. TauntExplosion can be removused in place of ExplosionTaunt in the third moveslot, as it pairs well with Stealth Rock, along with preventing slower spinners and Starmie (only 50% of the time against the latter) from removing Stealth Rock 50% of the time. Timid is the best option as a nature if Azelf doesn't run any attacking moves in order [flow] to reduce confusion recoil,; (semi) however, Jolly is the better choice if U-turn or Explosion is used. Flamethrower could be used to handle Scizor, asince it would otherwise limit Azelf to one screen. Signal Beam couldis also be an option to hithoroughly check Celebi and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>This variant of Azelf works very well on hyper offensive teams, so haveing set-up sweepers who bthat yenefit from having screens up are useful. Pokemon such as Swords Dance Scizor or Terrakion and Dragon Dance Salamence can take advantage of the dual screens. There aren't manyother threats to thais set don't differ from the suicide set. Also, Volcarona and Cloyster gets a bonus from Taunt; they can set up with ease if Azelf can prevent Stealth Rock from going up on the field.</p>

[SET]
move 1: U-Tturn

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is more than capable forof running an all-out attacking set with its above-average offenses and Speed. This set is great for weakening opponents late-game,(RC) and can tackle a variety of Pokemon thanks to its great coverage. U-turn is great for pivoting against the opponing moment, as well as predicum and scouting ahead of them.. [what you said made no sense] Psyshock is the supremerior STAB option for Azelf, as it can tame thosehit specially defensive beast walls, (AC) such as Blissey and Chansey, (AC) hard. However, Psychic sports more power,(RC) and a chance to lower the possiblefoe's Special Defense drop. Fire Blast haprovides coverage overn Steel-types Azelf would normally have issues with. The final moveslot is based on what threats arise ontrouble your team; if you struggle with Heatran or Tyranitar, Hidden Power Fighting is the ideal choice. If you have difficulties defeating Starmie ofr Gastrodon, Grass Knot is the move of choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Azelf thate needed power to break through walls. A Timid nature is used to maximize Azelf's Speed, a vital stat for this set. Azelf has thecan run a classic attacking set with 252 EVs in both Attack and Special Attack. Lum Berry is a valid option because it gets rids of any status inflictions Azelf may obtain, otheright be afflicted with; (se Azelfmi) any status would be rendered uelescause drops in both itAzelf's duration and performance. However, Azelf's power is significantly dropped from the loss of the Life Orb. Nasty Plot can beis an option infor the first moveslot; not only does it boosts Azelf's Special Attack stat to amazing heights, but it also does well against stall teams and defensive cores in general. However, due to Azelf's lacking defenses, it rarely grasps the opportunity to set up, making Nasty Plot not as reliable. If you don't fancy the accuracy rate Fire Blast has, Flamethrower couldan be used in its place. The power drop is easily noticed, however. Shadow Ball couldan be used as well in this moveset; it allows Azelf to handle Pokemon such as Latias, Starmie, and Espeon much easier. Energy Ball can replace Grass Knot as well, asince the occasional drop in Special Defense can be useful in certain situations.</p>

<p>Azelf does not need much team support since its vast variety of coverage moves allow it to manage itself on its own. That being said, the biggest threats to this set&mdash;and Azelf in general&mdash;are Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias. They can wall all of Azelf's attacks,(RC) and rRecover off any excess damage with Recover. Swords Dance Scizor is a great partner to Azelf due to the fact that Scizor can check all three of these Pokemon with Bug Bite. InFor the situation that either of the Eon twins carry Hidden Power Fire, Heatran can be a good partner in alongsideddition to Scizor, as Heatran can takforming a core withe Fire-type attacks aimed at it, forming a small defensive synergy that greatly aids Azelf in the long run.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Due to Azelf's wide movepool, it has lots of options to choose from. A Calm Mind set is viable, thowever,ugh Azelf's frailness doesn't give it many chances to even set up Calm Mind. Azelf can also be paired with Politoed and be an effective rain sweeper with Thunder.utilize Thunder. [that statement just isn't true] Choice Specs is also an option for Azelf, but the Special Attacker set already accomplishes what thea Choice Specs set would have [would've is awkward] without being locked into a move. Since Azelf has great selections for physical attacking moves, such as Zen Headbutt and Fire Blast, a Choice Band set could be used to utilize that. Finally, Azelf halearns many useful support moves, such as Thunder Wave and Toxic, giving it the option to play a supporting role. However, Azelf's defenses once again hold it back from successfully pulling off thisuch a set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Azelf's poor defenses are its ultimate downfall, so defeatKOing it with the right move isn't too difficult. Pokemon with priority moves can KO Azelf before it gets the chance to strike back. Choice Band Scizor, for example, can easily defeat Azelf with Bullet Punch. Scizor also has access to Pursuit, (AC) alongsides does Tyranitar, both of which can traprevent Azelf from switching out safely and finish it off with their STAB moves. The formaler must be wary of Fire Blast, andwhile the latter must watch out for Hidden Power Fighting. Status inflictions, such as paralysis, can stop Azelf from achieving most of its taskgoals. Jirachi and Prankster Whimsicott can easily paralyze itAzelf. Jellicent theand specially defensive variant of Heatran can wall Azelf. THowever, (AC) they must be very careful of Grass Knot and Hidden pPower Fighting, respectively. Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias can also wall Azelf like clockwork if Azelf doesn't carry Shadow Ball. Latios and Latias are great switch-ins to Azelf, though a Life Orb U-turn severely dents both of them. Overall, Azelf's large selection of coverage moves make it difficult to counter it, but if you can identify the set in which the opponent has for AzelfAzelf's moveset, defeating it woisn't be a difficult task.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Bearing the grand title of The Being of Willpower, Azelf does not disappoint. Its offensive stats are fantastic; base 125 in both Attack and Special Attack is nothing to be taken lightly. Azelf is also blessed with a blazing Speed of base 115, outspeeding most of the OU tier. Azelf also has a very wide movepool, which allows it to fill a variety of roles, granting it the ability to fit on a variety of teams. It doesn't end there; Azelf also is known as one of the best dual screeners in OU, having access to both Stealth Rock and Taunt, which combine to earn Azelf a spot as a respectable lead.</p>

<p>However, at the end of the day, Azelf doesn't come without flaws. While Azelf can play many roles, Team Preview makes it painfully obvious what role Azelf plays on a team. Azelf also has pitiful defenses; it can rarely absorb more than two hits. Nothing has changed for Azelf in the transition to BW2; Pokemon such as Espeon have traits that are more in-demand, giving Azelf major competition in the OU environment. Nonetheless, Azelf is a powerful threat and should be treated as such, as underestimating it will cause you to regret it.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf was a very popular lead in DPP, and while it isn't as common as it was then, it's still a successful set today. The goal of this set is to set up Stealth Rock on the field while preventing the opponent from doing the same. This set is very effective against other common leads, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. Thunderbolt provides excellent coverage, especially against Xatu, whose ability Magic Guard foils Azelf's plan to set up Stealth Rock. It also deals heavy damage to Starmie and Tentacruel. Fire Blast rounds out Azelf's coverage, hitting Steel-types very hard and allowing Azelf to handle opposing leads that are immune to Thunderbolt, such as Landorus-T.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash grants Azelf the ability to survive a hit so it can lay Stealth Rock reliably. Having a Timid nature is almost mandatory, as it maximizes the most crucial aspect of this set: Speed. 252 EVs in Special Attack allow Azelf to make use of its stellar offenses. There aren't many other options for this set, as it is pretty straightfoward. Pokemon that possess the ability Magic Bounce are by far the biggest threats to this set. Espeon in particular can not only reflect Azelf's support move but also take all of Azelf's attacks, healing off any damage with Morning Sun or Wish. For this reason, Volcarona is a good ally for Azelf, as it can easily get rid of Espeon. Rotom-W is a great partner as well; it can deal with Cloyster, a Pokemon that can break through Azelf's Focus Sash with its ability Skill Link. However, Azelf outspeeds Cloyster and can OHKO it with Thunderbolt, so it's not that big of a threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Azelf's outstanding Speed and access to very useful support moves, it can run a dual screen set and achieve well with it. Despite Azelf's subpar defenses, it still has the potential to get a screen or two up to aid its teammates. Reflect and Light Screen allow a fellow teammate to set up or sweep and make taking powerful hits much easier. Taunt is what makes Azelf stand out from other dual screeners, as it prevents setup sweepers from setting up against Azelf and stops opposing leads in their tracks. The final moveslot depends on preference. Usually, Azelf is unable to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. However, after Azelf has set up the appropriate amount of screens, as both screens are not always necessary, it can proceed to set up Stealth Rock if it has the time. U-turn can be used to gain momentum when you sense danger, while Explosion gives a free switch-in to a teammate, though it should only be used after screens are up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay is an invaluable item for this set, as it increases the duration of the screens. The given EV spread gives Azelf as much bulk as possible, preventing Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch from OHKOing, even after sand damage. The Speed EVs allow Azelf to set up dual screens as quickly as possible. Explosion can be used in place of Taunt in the third moveslot, as it pairs well with Stealth Rock, preventing slower spinners and Starmie (only 50% of the time against the latter) from removing Stealth Rock. Timid is the best option as a nature if Azelf doesn't run any attacking moves in order to reduce confusion recoil; however, Jolly is the better choice if U-turn or Explosion is used. Flamethrower could be used to handle Scizor, as it would otherwise limit Azelf to one screen. Signal Beam is also an option to hit Celebi and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>This variant of Azelf works very well on hyper offense teams, so having setup sweepers that yenefit from having screens up are useful. Pokemon such as Swords Dance Scizor or Terrakion and Dragon Dance Salamence can take advantage of the dual screens. The other threats to this set don't differ from the suicide set. Also, Volcarona and Cloyster get a bonus from Taunt; they can set up with ease if Azelf can prevent Stealth Rock from going up on the field.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is more than capable of running an all-out attacking set with its above-average offenses and Speed. This set is great for weakening opponents late-game and can tackle a variety of Pokemon thanks to its great coverage. U-turn is great for gaining momentum and scouting. Psyshock is the superior STAB option for Azelf, as it can hit special walls, such as Blissey and Chansey, hard. However, Psychic sports more power and a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense. Fire Blast provides coverage on Steel-types Azelf would normally have issues with. The final moveslot is based on what threats trouble your team; if you struggle with Heatran or Tyranitar, Hidden Power Fighting is the ideal choice. If you have difficulties defeating Starmie or Gastrodon, Grass Knot is the move of choice.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Azelf the needed power to break through walls. A Timid nature is used to maximize Azelf's Speed, a vital stat for this set. Azelf can run a classic attacking set with 252 EVs in both Attack and Special Attack. Lum Berry is a valid option because it gets rid of any status Azelf might be afflicted with; any status would cause drops in Azelf's duration and performance. However, Azelf's power is significantly dropped from the loss of Life Orb. Nasty Plot is an option for the first moveslot; not only does it boosts Azelf's Special Attack stat to amazing heights, but it also does well against stall teams and defensive cores in general. However, due to Azelf's lacking defenses, it rarely grasps the opportunity to set up, making Nasty Plot not as reliable. If you don't fancy the accuracy rate Fire Blast has, Flamethrower can be used in its place. The power drop is easily noticed, however. Shadow Ball can be used as well in this moveset; it allows Azelf to handle Pokemon such as Latias, Starmie, and Espeon much easier. Energy Ball can replace Grass Knot as well, as the occasional drop in Special Defense can be useful in certain situations.</p>

<p>Azelf does not need much team support since its vast variety of coverage moves allow it to manage itself on its own. That being said, the biggest threats to this set&mdash;and Azelf in general&mdash;are Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias. They can wall all of Azelf's attacks and Recover off any excess damage. Swords Dance Scizor is a great partner to Azelf due to the fact that Scizor can check all three of these Pokemon with Bug Bite. For the situation that either of the Eon twins carry Hidden Power Fire, Heatran can be a good partner in addition to Scizor, forming a core with defensive synergy that greatly aids Azelf.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Due to Azelf's wide movepool, it has lots of options to choose from. A Calm Mind set is viable, though Azelf's frailness doesn't give it many chances to even set up Calm Mind. Azelf can also be paired with Politoed utilize Thunder. Choice Specs is also an option for Azelf, but the Special Attacker set already accomplishes what a Choice Specs set would have without being locked into a move. Since Azelf has great selections for physical attacking moves, such as Zen Headbutt and Fire Blast, a Choice Band set could be used to utilize that. Finally, Azelf learns many useful support moves, such as Thunder Wave and Toxic, giving it the option to play a supporting role. However, Azelf's defenses once again hold it back from successfully pulling off such a set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Azelf's poor defenses are its ultimate downfall, so KOing it isn't too difficult. Pokemon with priority moves can KO Azelf before it gets the chance to strike back. Choice Band Scizor, for example, can easily defeat Azelf with Bullet Punch. Scizor also has access to Pursuit, as does Tyranitar, both of which can prevent Azelf from switching out safely and finish it off with their STAB moves. The former must be wary of Fire Blast, while the latter must watch out for Hidden Power Fighting. Status inflictions, such as paralysis, can stop Azelf from achieving most of its goals. Jirachi and Prankster Whimsicott can easily paralyze Azelf. Jellicent and specially defensive Heatran can wall Azelf. However, they must be very careful of Grass Knot and Hidden Power Fighting, respectively. Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias can also wall Azelf like clockwork if Azelf doesn't carry Shadow Ball. Latios and Latias are great switch-ins to Azelf, though a Life Orb U-turn severely dents both of them. Overall, Azelf's large selection of coverage moves make it difficult to counter, but if you can identify Azelf's moveset, defeating it isn't be a difficult task.</p>

I tried the absolute best I could to leave your prose, but it doesn't seem like you know how to write English very well; that will only come with time.
Well. Despite the trueness in that (speaking another language before English) that stung. :C Made the changes, however. Thank you.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Don't feel insulted, he's spealing the truth in that it takes time. Keep writing and your English will improve greatly. Amcheck looks good.
[Gp]1/2[/GP]

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Bearing the grand title of The Being of Willpower, Azelf does not disappoint. Its offensive stats are fantastic; base 125 in both Attack and Special Attack is nothing to be taken lightly. Azelf is also blessed with a blazing Speed of base 115 Speed, outspeeding most of the OU tier. Azelf also has a very wide movepool, which allows it to fill a variety of roles, granting it the ability to fit on a variety of teams. It doesn't end there; Azelf also is known as one of the best dual screeners in OU, having access to both Stealth Rock and Taunt, which combine to earn Azelf a spot as a respectable lead.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf was a very popular lead in DPP, and while it isn't as common as it was then, it's still a successful set today. The goal of this set is to set up Stealth Rock on the field while preventing the opponent from doing the same. With the help of Taunt and attacking moves, this set is very effective against other common leads, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. Thunderbolt provides excellent coverage, especially against Xatu, whose ability Magic Guard foils Azelf's plan to set up Stealth Rock. It also deals heavy damage to Starmie and Tentacruel. Fire Blast rounds out Azelf's coverage, hitting Steel-types very hard and allowing Azelf to handle opposing leads that are immune to Thunderbolt, such as Landorus-T.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash grants Azelf the ability to survive a hit so it can lay Stealth Rock reliably. Having a Timid nature is almost mandatory, as it maximizes the most crucial aspect of this set: Speed. 252 EVs in Special Attack allow Azelf to make use of its stellar offenses. There aren't many other options for this set, as it is pretty straightfoward. Pokemon that possess the ability Magic Bounce are by far the biggest threats to this set. Espeon in particular can not only reflect Azelf's support moves but also take all of Azelf's attacks, healing off any damage with Morning Sun or Wish. For this reason, Volcarona is a good ally for Azelf, as it can easily get rid of Espeon. Rotom-W is a great partner as well; it can deal with Cloyster, a Pokemon that can break through Azelf's Focus Sash with its ability Skill Link. However, Azelf outspeeds Cloyster and can OHKO it with Thunderbolt, so it's not that big of a threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Azelf's outstanding Speed and access to very useful support moves, it can run an effective dual screen set and achieve well with it. Despite Azelf's subpar defenses, it still has the potential to get a screen or two up to aid its teammates. Reflect and Light Screen allow a fellow teammate to set up or sweep and make taking powerful hits much easier. Taunt is what makes Azelf stand out from other dual screeners, as it prevents setup sweepers from setting up against Azelf and stops opposing leads in their tracks. The final moveslot depends on preference. Usually, Azelf is unable to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. However, after Azelf has set up the appropriate amount of screens, as both screens are not always necessary, Azelf can set the appropriate screen and proceed to set up Stealth Rock if it has the time. U-turn can be used to gain momentum when you sense danger, while Explosion gives a free switch-in to a teammate, though it should only be used after screens are up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay is an invaluable item for this set, as it increases the duration of the screens. The given EV spread gives Azelf as much bulk as possible, preventing Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch from OHKOing through Reflect, even after sand damage. The Speed EVs allow Azelf to set up dual screens as quickly as possible. Explosion can be used in place of Taunt in the third moveslot, as it pairs well with Stealth Rock, always preventing slower spinners from removing Stealth Rock and stopping Starmie (only 50% of the time against the latter) from. To reduce confusion removing Stealth Rock.coil, Timid is the best option as a nature if Azelf doesn't run any attacking moves in order to reduce confusion recoil; however, Jolly is the better choice if U-turn or Explosion is used. Flamethrower could be used to handle Scizor, as it would otherwise limit Azelf to one screen. Signal Beam is also an option to hit Celebi and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>This variant of Azelf works very well on hyper offense teams, so having setup sweepers that benefit from having screens up are useful. Pokemon such as Swords Dance Scizor or Terrakion and Dragon Dance Salamence can take advantage of the dual screens. The othVolcarona and Cloyster threats to thieammates deset don't differ from thrve suicide set. Also, Volcarpecial mentiona and Cloyster ges they benefit a bonus from Azelf's Taunt; they can set up with ease if Azelf can prevent Stealth Rock from going up on the field. Other than the threats stated above, this set has trouble with the same Pokemon that trouble suicide lead Azelf.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is more than capable of running an all-out attacking set with its above-average offenses and Speed. This set is great for weakening opponents late-game and can tackle a variety of Pokemon thanks to its great coverage. U-turn is greatuseful for gaining momentum and scouting. Psyshock is the superior STAB option for Azelf, as it can hit special walls, such as Blissey and Chansey, hard. However, Psychic sports more power and a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense. Fire Blast provides coverage onagainst Steel-types Azelf would normally have issues with. The final moveslot is based on what threats trouble your team; if you struggle with Heatran or Tyranitar, Hidden Power Fighting is the ideal choice. If you have difficulties defeating Starmie or Gastrodon, Grass Knot is the move of choicea better option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Azelf the needed power to break through walls. A Timid nature is used to maximize Azelf's Speed, a vital stat for this set. Azelf can run a classic attacking set with 252 EVs in bothnd EVs are invested fully in Special Attack and Special Attacked. Lum Berry is a validpossible option because it gets rid of any crippling status Azelf might be afflicted with; any status would cause drops in Azelf's duration and performance. However, Azelf's power is significantly droppecreased fromby the loss of Life Orb. Nasty Plot is an option for the first moveslot; not only does it boosts Azelf's Special Attack stat to amazing heights, but it also doesnd helps Azelf perform well against stall teams and defensive cores in general. However, due to Azelf's lackingluster defenses, it rarely grasps theobtains an opportunity to set up, making Nasty Plot not as reliable. If you don't fancy the accuracy rate Fire Blast has's accuracy, Flamethrower can be used in its place. The power drop is easily noticed, however. Shadow Ball can be used as well in this moveset; it allows Azelf to handle Pokemon such as Latias, Starmie, and Espeon much more easierly. Energy Ball can replace Grass Knot, thanks to its well, as thegreater consistency and chance to occasionally drop in Special Defense can be useful in certain situations.</p>

<p>Azelf does not need much team support since its vast variety of coverage moves allow it to manage itself on its own. That being said, the biggest threats to this set&mdash;and Azelf in general&mdash;are Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias. They can wall all of Azelf's attacks and Recover off any excess damage. Swords Dance Scizor is a great partner to Azelf due to the fact that Scizor can check all three of these Pokemon with Bug Bite. For the situation thatIf either of the Eon twins carry Hidden Power Fire, Heatran can be a good partner in addition to Scizor, forming a core with defensive synergy that greatly aids Azelf.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Due to Azelf's wide movepool, it has lots of options to choose from. A Calm Mind set is viable, though Azelf's frailness doesn't give it many chances to even set up Calm Mind. Azelf can also be paired with Politoed to utilize Thunder. Choice Specs is also an option for Azelf, but the Special Attacker set already accomplishes what a Choice Specs set would have without being locked into a move. Since Azelf has great selections for physical attacking moves, such as Zen Headbutt and Fire Blast, a Choice Band set could be used to utilize that. Finally, Azelf learns many useful support moves, such as Thunder Wave and Toxic, giving it the option to play a supporting role. However, Azelf's defenses once again hold it back from successfully pulling off such a set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Azelf's poor defenses are its ultimate downfall, so KOing it isn't too difficult. Pokemon with priority moves can KO Azelf before it gets the chance to strike back. Choice Band Scizor, for example, can easily defeat Azelf with Bullet Punch. Scizor also has access to Pursuit, as does Tyranitar, both of which can prevent Azelf from switching out safely and finish it off with their STAB moves. THowever, the former must be wary of Fire Blast, whileand the latter must watch out for Hidden Power Fighting. Status inflictions, such as paralysis, can stop Azelf from achieving most of its goals. Jirachi and Prankster Whimsicott can easily paralyze Azelf. Jellicent and specially defensive Heatran can wall Azelf. However, they must be very careful of Grass Knot and Hidden Power Fighting, respectively. Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias can also wall Azelf like clockworkeasily if Azelf doesn't carry Shadow Ball. Latios and Latias are great switch-ins to Azelf, though a Life Orb U-turn severely dents both of them. Overall, Azelf's large selection of coverage moves make it difficult to counter, but if you can identify Azelf's moveset, defeating it isn't be a difficult task.</p>

[Overview]

<p>Bearing the grand title of The Being of Willpower, Azelf does not disappoint. Its offensive stats are fantastic; base 125 in both Attack and Special Attack is nothing to be taken lightly. Azelf is also blessed with a blazing base 115 Speed, outspeeding most of the OU tier. Azelf also has a very wide movepool, which allows it to fill a variety of roles, granting it the ability to fit on a variety of teams. It doesn't end there; Azelf also is known as one of the best dual screeners in OU, having access to both Stealth Rock and Taunt, which combine to earn Azelf a spot as a respectable lead.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf was a very popular lead in DPP, and while it isn't as common as it was then, it's still a successful set today. The goal of this set is to set up Stealth Rock on the field while preventing the opponent from doing the same. With the help of Taunt and attacking moves, this set is very effective against other common leads, such as Ferrothorn, Forretress, and Skarmory. Thunderbolt provides excellent coverage, especially against Xatu, whose ability Magic Guard foils Azelf's plan to set up Stealth Rock. It also deals heavy damage to Starmie and Tentacruel. Fire Blast rounds out Azelf's coverage, hitting Steel-types very hard and allowing Azelf to handle opposing leads that are immune to Thunderbolt, such as Landorus-T.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Focus Sash grants Azelf the ability to survive a hit so it can lay Stealth Rock reliably. Having a Timid nature is almost mandatory, as it maximizes the most crucial aspect of this set: Speed. 252 EVs in Special Attack allow Azelf to make use of its stellar offenses. There aren't many other options for this set, as it is pretty straightfoward. Pokemon that possess the ability Magic Bounce are by far the biggest threats to this set. Espeon in particular can not only reflect Azelf's support moves but also take all of Azelf's attacks, healing off any damage with Morning Sun or Wish. For this reason, Volcarona is a good ally for Azelf, as it can easily get rid of Espeon. Rotom-W is a great partner as well; it can deal with Cloyster, a Pokemon that can break through Azelf's Focus Sash with its ability Skill Link. However, Azelf outspeeds Cloyster and can OHKO it with Thunderbolt, so it's not that big of a threat.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Thanks to Azelf's outstanding Speed and access to very useful support moves, it can run an effective dual screen set. Despite Azelf's subpar defenses, it still has the potential to get a screen or two up to aid its teammates. Reflect and Light Screen allow a fellow teammate to set up or sweep and make taking powerful hits much easier. Taunt is what makes Azelf stand out from other dual screeners, as it prevents setup sweepers from setting up against Azelf and stops opposing leads in their tracks. The final moveslot depends on preference. Usually, Azelf is unable to set up both screens and Stealth Rock. However, as both screens are not always necessary, Azelf can set the appropriate screen and proceed to set up Stealth Rock if it has the time. U-turn can be used to gain momentum when you sense danger, while Explosion gives a free switch-in to a teammate, though it should only be used after screens are up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Light Clay is an invaluable item for this set, as it increases the duration of the screens. The given EV spread gives Azelf as much bulk as possible, preventing Choice Band Tyranitar's Crunch from OHKOing through Reflect, even after sand damage. The Speed EVs allow Azelf to set up dual screens as quickly as possible. Explosion can be used in place of Taunt in the third moveslot, as it pairs well with Stealth Rock, always preventing slower spinners from removing Stealth Rock and stopping Starmie 50% of the time. To reduce confusion recoil, Timid is the best option as a nature if Azelf doesn't run any attacking moves; however, Jolly is the better choice if U-turn or Explosion is used. Flamethrower could be used to handle Scizor, as it would otherwise limit Azelf to one screen. Signal Beam is also an option to hit Celebi and Tyranitar.</p>

<p>This variant of Azelf works very well on hyper offense teams, so having setup sweepers that benefit from having screens up are useful. Pokemon such as Swords Dance Scizor or Terrakion and Dragon Dance Salamence can take advantage of the dual screens. Volcarona and Cloyster as teammates deserve special mention as they benefit from Azelf's Taunt; they can set up with ease if Azelf can prevent Stealth Rock from going up on the field. Other than the threats stated above, this set has trouble with the same Pokemon that trouble suicide lead Azelf.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Azelf is more than capable of running an all-out attacking set with its above-average offenses and Speed. This set is great for weakening opponents late-game and can tackle a variety of Pokemon thanks to its great coverage. U-turn is useful for gaining momentum and scouting. Psyshock is the superior STAB option for Azelf, as it can hit special walls, such as Blissey and Chansey, hard. However, Psychic sports more power and a chance to lower the foe's Special Defense. Fire Blast provides coverage against Steel-types Azelf would normally have issues with. The final moveslot is based on what threats trouble your team; if you struggle with Heatran or Tyranitar, Hidden Power Fighting is the ideal choice. If you have difficulties defeating Starmie or Gastrodon, Grass Knot is a better option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Life Orb gives Azelf the needed power to break through walls. A Timid nature is used to maximize Azelf's Speed, and EVs are invested fully in Special Attack and Speed. Lum Berry is a possible option because it gets rid of any crippling status Azelf might be afflicted with. However, Azelf's power is significantly decreased by the loss of Life Orb. Nasty Plot is an option for the first moveslot; it boosts Azelf's Special Attack stat to amazing heights and helps Azelf perform well against stall teams and defensive cores. However, due to Azelf's lackluster defenses, it rarely obtains an opportunity to set up, making Nasty Plot not as reliable. If you don't fancy Fire Blast's accuracy, Flamethrower can be used in its place. The power drop is easily noticed, however. Shadow Ball can be used; it allows Azelf to handle Pokemon such as Latias, Starmie, and Espeon much more easily. Energy Ball can replace Grass Knot, thanks to its greater consistency and chance to occasionally drop Special Defense.</p>

<p>Azelf does not need much team support since its vast variety of coverage moves allow it to manage itself on its own. That being said, the biggest threats to this set&mdash;and Azelf in general&mdash;are Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias. They can wall all of Azelf's attacks and Recover off any excess damage. Swords Dance Scizor is a great partner to Azelf due to the fact that Scizor can check all three of these Pokemon with Bug Bite. If either of the Eon twins carry Hidden Power Fire, Heatran can be a good partner in addition to Scizor, forming a core with defensive synergy that greatly aids Azelf.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Due to Azelf's wide movepool, it has lots of options to choose from. A Calm Mind set is viable, though Azelf's frailness doesn't give it many chances to even set up Calm Mind. Azelf can also be paired with Politoed to utilize Thunder. Choice Specs is also an option for Azelf, but the Special Attacker set already accomplishes what a Choice Specs set would have without being locked into a move. Since Azelf has great selections for physical attacking moves, such as Zen Headbutt and Fire Blast, a Choice Band set could be used to utilize that. Finally, Azelf learns many useful support moves, such as Thunder Wave and Toxic, giving it the option to play a supporting role. However, Azelf's defenses once again hold it back from successfully pulling off such a set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Azelf's poor defenses are its ultimate downfall, so KOing it isn't too difficult. Pokemon with priority moves can KO Azelf before it gets the chance to strike back. Choice Band Scizor, for example, can easily defeat Azelf with Bullet Punch. Scizor also has access to Pursuit, as does Tyranitar, both of which can prevent Azelf from switching out safely and finish it off with their STAB moves. However, the former must be wary of Fire Blast, and the latter must watch out for Hidden Power Fighting. Status inflictions, such as paralysis, can stop Azelf from achieving most of its goals. Jirachi and Prankster Whimsicott can easily paralyze Azelf. Jellicent and specially defensive Heatran can wall Azelf. However, they must be very careful of Grass Knot and Hidden Power Fighting, respectively. Reuniclus, Latios, and Latias can also wall Azelf easily if Azelf doesn't carry Shadow Ball. Latios and Latias are great switch-ins to Azelf, though a Life Orb U-turn severely dents both of them. Overall, Azelf's large selection of coverage moves make it difficult to counter, but if you can identify Azelf's moveset, defeating it isn't a difficult task.</p>

it'd be great if bkc had read through the writeup a little more carefully, as i had to fix some odd ac mentions/justification (for example: the mention of a 252 atk / 252 spa spread as viable in Special Attacker's AC) :P
anyway,
[gp]2/2[/gp]

note to governness: in future analyses try to cut down on writing too much about ev spreads that don't do anything special. one simple sentence, if that, should be enough to cover a 252 / 252 spread and nature.

Governess

Thank you, Woodchuck. If nothing else needs to be fixed, this is ready to go on-site! =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)