epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
image.jpg
Technically a bird.

QC: 2/3 [Alexwolf] [Fuzznip] []
GP: 0/2 [] []

Overview
#######

Azelf is a Pokemon that fits in nicely with the current metagame. It's fast with great mixed stats and great movepool. It gained Dazzling Gleam this generation, allowing it to muscle past certain Dark types for the first time. The Knock Off buff also helped it tremendously, allowing Azelf to function as a utility Pokemon along with U-Turn to provide unique support to a team. It is also rather difficult to outright counter because of it's wide movepool; however, some Pokémon will always be a pain for Azelf to face down, such as Tyranitar or Chansey. It is very frail, to the point that even resisted hits will do a large chunk to Azelf, making in incredibly hard to switch in. Levitate somewhat helps to compensate for this though, and it can be brought in by other means, such as a slow Volt Switch or U-Turn. Azelf also receives competition from Deoxys- S and Latios as offensive Psychic types, but Azelf differentiates itself with mixed stats and different coverage options. Overall, Azelf has its faults, but if you use it to its fullest potential, you will have a monster pixie on your hands.

All-Out Attacker
###########
Name: All-Out Attacker
Move 1: Psychic / Psyshock
Move 2: Fire Blast
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: U-Turn / Dazzling Gleam
Ability: Levitate
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Nature: Naive

Moves
========

Psychic is Azelf's go-to STAB move, hitting most things for solid damage. Although Psychic hits most things for more damage in the physically defensive metagame, Psyshock can be used instead to hit Pokemon Azelf has trouble with, like the pink blobs, Mega Charizard X, AV Conkeldurr, and special walls in general. Psyshock also does better against CM users, especially Keldeo. Fire Blast nails Steel types, who are always troublesome. Main targets include Skarmory, Bisharp, Ferrothorn, Excadrill, Magnezone, and Aegislash. Knock Off is great for taking down opposing Psychic types, and provides unique support to a team by disposing of the opponent's item. It also greatly hinders Pokemon like Heatran and Chansey that tend to switch into Azelf. U-Turn is great for generating momentum and deals a decent chunk of damage to most Pokémon. It also allows it to pivot against Tyranitar, a common switch-in.

Dazzling Gleam is an option in the last slot for muscling past certain Dark and Dragon types, such as Sableye, Hydreigon, Salamence, and Garchomp, but you're usually better off running U-Turn.

Thunderbolt and Grass Knot, however, are a different story. They can be used in one of the last two slots to hit certain targets. Grass Knot hits Quagsire, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, and Slowbro. Thunderbolt hits Crawdaunt, Gyarados, Togekiss, Mandibuzz, Vaporeon, and maintains coverage on Slowbro.

Set Details
========

The EVs give Azelf maximum Speed to go along with great Special Attack. Life Orb gives Azelf extra power to net KOs and to give it that extra "oomph." A Naive nature allows it to outspeed many relevant threats, such as Gengar, Terrakion, Keldeo, and the Lati twins, and doesn't lower Azelf's Attack, which is needed for Knock Off and U-Turn.

Usage Tips
========

Because Azelf's defenses often let it down, switch Azelf in on a Ground-type attack, or bring it in on a double switch, Baton Pass, slow Volt Switch, or a slow U-Turn.

Also, because Psychic is rather weak compared to other common attacks like Hydro Pump or Close Combat, it's hard to OHKO even decently bulky threats that get hit neutrally by Psychic, so only use Azelf to take down weakened threats, frailer Pokemon, Pokémon that are hit super effectively by its coverage moves, or Pokemon you know you can take down.

Use Azelf as a sort of utility Pokemon early game, knocking off items and generating momentum with U-Turn, and as a late-game cleaner.

Team Options
==========

This set is highly recommended in a VoltTurn core, as Pokemon like Forretress, Scizor, and Rotom-W can help bring Azelf in safely with a slow Volt Switch or U-Turn, and in return, Azelf helps break down walls for its teammates.

Fighting types such as Lucario, AV Conkeldurr, and Terrakion make great teammates because they deal with the Dark types that plague Azelf. They are great at taking advantage of most Pursuit users. In Lucario and Terrakion's case, they receive an attack boost from Dark-type attacks, allowing them to start a mini-sweep.

Azelf also appreciates hazards to increase its overall damage output, netting many KOs it couldn't otherwise achieve, and to help it take advantage of forced switches more with U-Turn. When used in conjunction with a VoltTurn core, it can produce deadly results. Some hazard users that pair well with Azelf are Infernape, Forretress, Mamoswine, Garchomp, Excadrill and Terrakion. All but Forretress deal with Tyranitar and can blow holes in the opposing team for Azelf to take advantage of. Forretress and Infernape fit well on a VoltTurn team with Azelf, especially Forretress.

Fairy types such as Azumarill or Mega Mawile make great teammates, as they also counter the Dark types that Azelf tends to have trouble handling. The two Pokemon listed can also weaken the opposing team for Azelf to take advantage of, and provide strong priority.

Finally, wall-breakers such as Kyurem-B, MixMence, and mixed Aegislash make great teammates, as they dismantle common cores and rip huge holes in the opposition.

Other Options
==========

Azelf can take advantage of its 125 Attack stat, and run a physically-based Life Orb set with Zen Headbutt, Fire Punch/Fire Blast, U-Turn, and a coverage move. However, Azelf is generally better off running a mixed set, and is outclassed by other, more powerful physical attackers.

Azelf can run a suicide lead set, like it did in DPP OU. However, other, faster Pokemon generally outclass Azelf in this role like Greninja, Aerodactyl, and Deoxys-S. Suicide lead sets aren't very good anyway due to the prevalence of Defog.

Azelf can run a decent dual screens set; however, Deoxys-S and Cresselia outclass it in this role, as they have higher speed and much more bulk, respectively.

Checks And Counters
==============

Greninja is an amazing check to Azelf, being able to switch into its STAB moves, Fire Blast, and Knock Off, outspeed it, and OHKO.

Tyranitar is a full-fledged counter to Azelf, being able to tank multiple hits from Azelf and trap it with a combination of Pursuit and Crunch. The DD set can switch in and start accumulating boosts.

Most Dark types have an easy time handling Azelf; however, they must watch out for U-Turn and the rare Dazzling Gleam.

Special walls with physical investment like Chansey, Blissey, and Sylveon make good counters to Azelf because they can shrug off Azelf's hits, even Psyshock, and proceed to Toxic/Seismic Toss, or in Sylveon's case, Moonblast.

Revenge killers are one of the main ways to deal with Azelf. One option is priority from Pokémon such as Talonflame, Aegislash, Scizor, Bisharp, Mega Mawile, Mega Pinsir, and Azumarill. Another option, though less common these days, is Choice Scarf Pokemon like Keldeo, Terrakion, and Garchomp. Naturally faster Pokemon such as Weavile, (Mega) Aerodactyl, and Deoxys-S work too.

Last edited:

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
Here are some questions:

Do you think NP Azelf deserves its own set?
Do you think CB Azelf deserves its own set?
Do you think suicide lead Azelf deserves its own set?

Are there any sets or counters or anything I've missed and need to add?

Doesn't Deoxys-S outclass Azelf as a suicide screener? I don't see the purpose of it at the moment. Nasty Plot Azelf is too easy to revenge kill, so it won't see any sweeping potential. It should be used as a hit and run attacker. Choice Band restrains it to one move, and I think that's kind of silly with something as versatile as Azelf. It has a lot of coverage, so it should take advantage of that. Thus, I think a mixed set with Psychic/Fire Blast/U-turn/Knock Off|Explosion should be one of the main sets, let alone the only set.

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
I'm thinking about taking away Dual Screens and adding in mixed Azelf, I'll wait for another reply or two to decide.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
There should be only one set. I have been using azelf a fair amount.

Name: All-Out Attacker
Move 1: Psychic
Move 2: Fire Blast
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: U-turn
Ability: Levitate
Item: Life Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Nature: Naive

In general in the metagame there is a physically defensive bias, using psyshock, the weaker move is a mistake. Psyshock's only advantage is bypassing assault vests, and beating chansey after knock off. Zen headbutt with a physically offensive spread gives hte advantage of powering up u-turn, and knock off, however it leaves you prone to intimidate, burns and most physical walls suh as Lando-t, Gliscor, Hippowdon, etc. Psychic is the superior STAB no doubt.

Fire Blast is necessary for steel types. Bisharp, Aegislash, Skarmory, whatever, it's not a move you can drop.

Knock Off is also something I would not consider dropping. Forget shadow ball, Knock off is stronger at getting past bulky psychic types and ghosts. It has the most useful side effect that you could ask for. It lets azelf do massive damage to chansey by making it lose its eviolite, it lets azelf DO ANYTHING to heatran, as making it lose its leftovers is a huge loss. It's just such a useful move for breaking up stall.

U-turn is helpful for generating momentum, but its main use is that without it Tyranitar can effortlessly pursuit trap you, but u-turn really chunks it. Its helpful in general for Dark types in general who wall psychic / knock off.

In moves thunderbolt and grass knot are the only considerable options imo. Grass Knot is capable of beating specially defensive hippowdon who beats you with out it. It also is capable of 2HKOing max HP tyranitar, though youre still fish food for specialyl defensive variants. Thunderbolt is fully capable of plowing through mandibuzz, and of course it does solid damage to anything weak to it, but mandibuzz is the most important target because it can take two fire blasts after rocks then KO with Foul Play so it is very good switch in to azelf without it

Nasty plot is easy as hell to revenge kill and giving up some coverage makes you easier to wall, not good, drop it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
where's the good ol' sash'd suicide lead set? That is surely one of Azelf's best sets. It would look something like this:

Suicide Lead
########
name: Suicide Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Taunt
move 3: Fire Blast / Thunderbolt
move 4: Explosion / U-Turn
ability: Levitate
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Hasty

Feel free to C/P that into the analysis. Here is the reasoning for the moves:
  • Stealth Rock aids the team in sweeping, and is a great asset for a fast suiside-lead.
  • Taunt shuts down other lead hazzard-setters such as Ferrothorn and Forretress, among others.
  • Fire Blast hits Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Forretress hard, while Thunderbolt does the same to Skarmory (albiet with a little more reliability than Fire Blast) and the uncommon lead Tentacruel.
  • Explosion deals massive damage while guaranteeing a safe entrance for your next pokemon at the cost of Azelf's life, while U-Turn keeps Azelf alive, which is particulary useful on teams that are fairly weak to Rapid Spin and need to set up Stealth Rock more than once (provided you don't have a backup rock setter, that is). However, this means that your next pokemon isn't guaranteed a safe switch-in due to the switch-in before the turn is over.
Write that in your own words, and add a mention of Normal Gem in set comments.

On the all out offense set - seeing as it is ALL OUT offense - include some physical options such as Explosion, the elemental punches (so that the user can go fully-physical if they so desire) and U-Turn, and remove Nasty Plot from that set and give it a seperate set. If you don't want to have physical moves on the all out offense set, I suggest a Choice Band set would be rather good, with the set as follows:

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Zen Headbutt
move 2: Fire Punch / Thunder Punch
move 3: Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
move 4: Trick / U-Turn / Explosion
ability: Levitate
item: Choice Band
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Once again, feel free to C/P that into the analysis, and I feel it'd be good on there even if you did include physical attacks in the all out attacker set. You can probably figure out the reasoning for the moves on this one as it's a little more obvious than on the suicide lead (offensive-move-wise).

Ash Borer

I don't really see a point in dual screens or Lead when Deo and Cress exist. Deo does it faster and better in nearly every way, Cress does screens more reliably. Azelf is the only screens + boom that has any speed but this kind of thing is such a negligible niche It is not worth a set. As for Choice Band I'm not exactly sold on this set either. The metagame definitely has a phsically defensive bias. Rotom-W, Mandibuzz, Skarmory, Clefable, Landorus-therian, these are some of the most popular defensive pokemon for balanced teams right now, and they all tend to go with physically defensive spreads as the biggests threats in the meta are physically offensive. As well, will o wisp use is beyond prominent. Knowing this it doesnt seem to be wise at all to take a pokemon with a perfectly balanced mixed attacking stats, whose special moves have greater power than physical, and making it a purely physical pokemon. Why zen headbutt when Psychic is going to damage more in general? Why Fire punch when Fire blast is strnger? Azelf has no special ice move, however it doesnt need it, Psychic 2HKOs the typical ice beam targets like Garchomp, and Lando.

Azelf's defensive attributes are non existent outside of levitate really, it isnt paper frail, but it can rarely be brought in on direct attacks due to nearly no resistances. With this it's hard to justify a choice set just because if you predict incorrectly, or the opponent has a good wall for all your moves youre going to do nearly nothing the whole battle. This is the exact same kind of pokemon Greninja, 3 attack Gengar, Infernape, and to an extent Thundurus is. Fast, kinda frail, but great coverage so a bit hard to handle. A choice item takes away its "hard to handle" nature. On top of this choice users tend to need to be "nukes" to be good. Terrakion is running with 120 base power STAB, azelf is running with 80. Zen headbutt is just too easy to switch into to be that good.

The only use I see in a CB set is that you act more of a "utility band" than a wall breaking choiced attacker. Trick can mess with some counters (sup defensive heatran?), Knock off from CB hurts, as does explosion, and u-turn. These kinds of moves dont just muscle past the opponent, they cause item loss, or create momentum.

- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off / Trick
- Explosion / U-turn
- Fire Blast

Zen headbutt, you need STAB. Knock off and Trick together can be a bit inflexible, if you trick your band to heatran you dont want to spam knock off as you might knock that band off, ettc blah blah. U-turn or explosion create switch advantage, Explosion frickin hurts, but uturn hits dark types and lets you not die. Explosion gets the primary slash because if I was using that set with u-turn and knock off im pretty sure id rather just use the mixed life orb set! Fire blast to hit steels, its better htan fire punch

4 SpA Azelf Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Skarmory: 258-304 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Choice Band Azelf Fire Punch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Skarmory: 138-164 (41.3 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Azelf Fire Blast vs. 32 HP / 0 SpD Bisharp: 258-304 (92.4 - 108.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Choice Band Azelf Fire Punch vs. 32 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 238-282 (85.3 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

This is all I would consider for Choice Band, go test it OP. I wouldnt bother though, the life orb set is probably going to be much better. It beats more pokes, just it has weaker physical attacks.

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
Removed the dual screens set and made changes to the all-out attacking set. Currently testing the "Utility Band" set. I'm also going to take a long, hard look into Azelf's movepool and see if I can come up with something.

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
Removed the dual screens set and made changes to the all-out attacking set. Currently testing the "Utility Band" set. I'm also going to take a long, hard look into Azelf's movepool and see if I can come up with something.
DAZZLING GLEAM!! Azelf can finally get past Dark types! What a breakthrough!! Ok I'm immediately testing this out, it just might work in the fourth slot.

EDIT: Sorry for double posting, I kinda had to.

Ash Borer

no need to bump friend, there are many analyses for QC to tend to. Dazzling gleam seems fine, it beats mandibuzz, sableye and hydreigon who can beat Azelf otherwise. U-turn however is still a superior choice when dealing with Tyranitar, and Umbreon as both easily avoid 2HKOs from the move. The relevancy of sableye and hydreigon are suspect, and u-turn is still a good option against hydreigon.

imo the set should just have the 4 attack psychic / knock off / fire blast / u-turn listed. Then, in moves talk about how Dazzling Gleam, Grass Knot, and perhaps Thunderbolt can grant some important super effective coverage or beat some typical counters.

no need to bump friend, there are many analyses for QC to tend to. Dazzling gleam seems fine, it beats mandibuzz, sableye and hydreigon who can beat Azelf otherwise. U-turn however is still a superior choice when dealing with Tyranitar, and Umbreon as both easily avoid 2HKOs from the move. The relevancy of sableye and hydreigon are suspect, and u-turn is still a good option against hydreigon.

imo the set should just have the 4 attack psychic / knock off / fire blast / u-turn listed. Then, in moves talk about how Dazzling Gleam, Grass Knot, and perhaps Thunderbolt can grant some important super effective coverage or beat some typical counters.
Mandibuzz shouldn't be mentioned:

4 Atk Mandibuzz Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Azelf: 300-354 (103 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Dazzling Gleam 2HKOes, but doesn't OHKO after SR.

Ash Borer

no it definitely should. With dazzling gleam or thunderbolt you 2hko, so it cant switch in. Without these moves it can switch in fearlessly.

True your points are valid. Does it hit anything else notably hard?
Kind of. It's able to semi-reliably deal with Hydreigon as well as Haxorus and Crawdaunt since Azelf can potentially outspeed (depends on item and boosts) and OHKO them provided Azelf gets a free switch in. Also, it can OHKO the likes of Greninja, Sharpedo, Noivern (after rocks), Salamence (after rocks), and Absol while reliably 2HKO'ing Mandibuzz, Sableye, Garchomp, Latios, Kyurem-B, and possibly Dragonite. However, since everything I listed in the previous sentence is capable of outspeeding Azelf/tanking the hit then OHKO'ing in return, you have to catch them on the switch in order for Dazzling Gleam to be effective.

It seems very situational IMO since most things you'd want to hit with it are things Azelf would usually avoid, but it could definitely work for the surprise factor if anything.

edit: Greninja'd

Last edited:

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
I've tested the Utility Band set and it just plain does not work. Mindlessly slapping a Choice Band on such a versatile Pokemon as Azelf doesn't increase its potential; in fact, it limits it. Azelf's raw power is not the reason it is used, but rather, its versatility. And as mentioned in earlier posts, being locked into one move is not a situation Azelf wants to be in, and is too weak with an 80 BP attack as its main weapon. You're much better off using Kyurem-B, Staraptor, Talonflame, Darmanitan, etc.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to distinguish Azelf from Alakazam which already beats Azelf in the power and speed department (much less Mega Alakazam). Kazam might not get Fire moves and Thunderbolt, but Focus Blast easily tips the balance imo. Greater emphasis on the physical moves Azelf gets is of greater importance here: Knock Off, U-turn, and Explosion are the main attacks Azelf can use well / at all that Kazam can't.

I'm not even sure if Dazzling Gleam and Knock Off are as good the advantages you make them out to be. You mentioned Dazzling Gleam that strikes Dark-types, but it already had Signal Beam for them, not that Dazzling Gleam matters a lot in the end since it still won't scratch Tyranitar, while Fire Blast > Bisharp and Thunderbolt > Greninja (on the switch) and Mandibuzz, only being truly useful against Sableye and Hydreigon. Knock Off is nice, but not a terribly unique advantage since Kazam technically gets it too, and even then Shadow Ball covers Psychics nicely enough as it is. It would be nice to rob Chansey of her Eviolite before smacking her, but you didn't even slash Psyshock alongside Psychic for that purpose (Knock Off + Psychic decks Conkeldurr though).

I don't know, Azelf would need to be substantially better than Alakazam in breaking stuff to warrant ditching that delicious Sash, or even warrant use over Mega Alakazam which has even greater wallbreaking potential. Nasty Plot or Explosion could probably help differentiate between the two Psychics (thoughts, Fuzznip ?), otherwise I'm just not seeing what Azelf has to offer.

I personally consider Azelf and Alakazam to be quite distinct. Alakazam functions moreso as a revenge killer above all else due to its Focus Sash + Magic Guard combination. On the other hand, Azelf could still reliably revenge kill due to its great Speed, but it's purpose is more of a mixed wall/stallbreaker. Psychic and Fire Blast are excellent in tandem with each other, something Alakazam does not have (needs to rely on Focus miss to hit stuff), and U-turn and Knock Off are excellent supporting tools that net you great momentum. Knocking off Heatran's Leftovers or Chansey's Eviliote for example is huge. I wouldn't underestimate it.

Ash Borer

Azelf is only 5 points slower in speed (cant think of anything that sits between 115 and 120 other than scarf tar, and tying with starmie), and 10 points weaker in SpA while having far stronger physical attacks such that its viable to go mixed, a ground immunity,far better physical bulk, a good fire move, a good electric move, and U-turn. It is certainly not outclassed by alakazam as an all out attacker. Mega Alakazam, imo, is barely worth mentioning. S-rank pokemon like Pinsir, and Charizard are so much better than Mega Alakazam that using your mega slot on Alakazam is just a waste unless your team is just THAT well constructed you cant spare a team slot for one of these dominant megas.

Knock off is Azelf's ace in the hole. Having a reasonably strng knock off is what lets it be a thorn in the side of almost all defense, as pretty much every knock off tank (Venusaur, Scizor, Mawile) get destroyed by Mawile's primary moves. I know Azelf isnt the best but, I've been using it recently, and it's something that can consistently do damage the opposing team. It has the speed and coverage to check some stuff, and then when it does, there's ust no "free switch in". It's a pokemon I can count on to do some damage, and it does it uniquely enough to warrant this analysis imo.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I personally consider Azelf and Alakazam to be quite distinct. Alakazam functions moreso as a revenge killer above all else due to its Focus Sash + Magic Guard combination. On the other hand, Azelf could still reliably revenge kill due to its great Speed, but it's purpose is more of a mixed wall/stallbreaker. Psychic and Fire Blast are excellent in tandem with each other, something Alakazam does not have (needs to rely on Focus miss to hit stuff), and U-turn and Knock Off are excellent supporting tools that net you great momentum. Knocking off Heatran's Leftovers or Chansey's Eviolite for example is huge. I wouldn't underestimate it.
Yes, I've already acknowledged those moves being Azelf's distinct advantages over Alakazam, but I can't help but feel Kazam still gives Azelf competition in its role. I can very easily slap on a Life Orb onto Alakazam and expect it to perform on par with Azelf against walls, especially given its immunity to residual damage or, not to mention, access to Encore. There aren't a whole host of Pokemon Alakazam misses out on that Azelf beats.

far stronger physical attacks such that its viable to go mixed, a ground immunity,far better physical bulk, a good fire move, a good electric move, and U-turn. It is certainly not outclassed by alakazam as an all out attacker.

Knock off is Azelf's ace in the hole. Having a reasonably strng knock off is what lets it be a thorn in the side of almost all defense, as pretty much every knock off tank (Venusaur, Scizor, Mawile) get destroyed by Mawile's primary moves. I know Azelf isnt the best but, I've been using it recently, and it's something that can consistently do damage the opposing team. It has the speed and coverage to check some stuff, and then when it does, there's ust no "free switch in". It's a pokemon I can count on to do some damage, and it does it uniquely enough to warrant this analysis imo.
The thing is, Azelf's physical movepool never really aided its mixed attacking capabilities, mostly due to their weak base powers. Knock Off and U-turn on Azelf are seen more as 'support attacks' than legitimate attacking options. The only elemental punch it learns that isn't in the form of a beam is Ice Punch, but does jack to the bulkier Ground-types of the tier. Explosion can only be used once. That said, Fire Blast and Thunderbolt do separate Azelf from Alakazam, but not having Focus Blast to go with that kinda blows.

I'm not sure if a stronger Knock Off is a distinct enough advantage to warrant Azelf over Alakazam, the latter of which has a tad more power in general. If I really wanted my Psychic-type to wallbreak better, I'd either run Nasty Plot Azelf or hell, run Knock Off on maybe Mew, Deoxys or Alakazam itself.

Last edited:

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
Alakazam's Attack is equivalent to Charmander's Attack and is LOWER THAN DELIBIRD'S. Alakazam is not going to to be using Knock Off any day, so don't say "if you want a Psychic type with Knock Off, you can still use Alakazam. As for Mew, Azelf outclasses it as an all-out attacker/mixed wallbreaker, and Mew has better things to do like Baton Pass. As for Deoxys, only Defense and Speed form are allowed in OU, and Deoxys-D is plagued by 4MSS as it is, and has little power coming from Deoxys-D. As for Deoxys-S, it doesn't have room either, and is much, much weaker than Azelf (by 30 points). And besides, Deoxys-S is best used as a hazard-setter or a dual screener, not an all-out attacker.

In short, none of the Pokémon you mentioned have the same role or even close to the same Attack and wall-breaking power as Azelf. Also, Azelf gets almost no set-up opportunities with Nasty Plot and is prone to being revenge killed by priority and revenge killers, which is why it's not posted in the analysis.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview

You have too many bullet points for the overview, which can be merged into fewer ones with more substance:
  • Fast with good mixed stats and decent movepool
  • Knock Off buff and access to Dazzling Gleam helped it
  • Nice ability
  • Frail
  • Struggles to gest past certain Pokemon
Mentions of NP and support moves were removed, as the only set of Azelf isn't utilizing those moves

Main Set

Psyshock should definitely get a mention in 'Moves' at the very least. It's great vs Blissey, Chansey, Conkeldurr, Mega Charizard Y, and SpD Zapdos. Explosion too. When mentioning Thunderbolt and Grass Knot, mention some important targets they hit.
Use Azelf to clean up late-game or to take down certain threats early-mid game.
This is really vague and doesn't help the reader to get how to play Azelf at all. This is literraly what every single all out attacker does. Remove it or replace it with a better sentence.
Azelf also appreciates hazards to increase its overall damage output, netting many KOs it couldn't otherwise achieve, and to help it take advantage of forced switches more with U-Turn.
Mention some hazard users that pair well with Azelf.
Dual screeners like Deoxys-S make good teammates as they boost Azelf's defenses tremendously, allowing it to stay in on some Pokémon for the 2HKO.
Remove this, dual screeners help any kind of offensive Pokemon but don't really do anything special for Azelf.

Other Options

Replace the mention of a CB set with a LO all out attacking set with Zen Headbutt / Fire Blast / (Knock Off / Explosion / Ice Punch) / U-turn. Choiced Azelf it terrible.

Checks and Counters

Just elaborate on your really generic bullets so we can know that you have mentioned all of Azelf's good checks and counters.

Do those and:

QC APPROVED 1/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)