GP: /
Overview
########
  • Good defensive typing allows it switch in on a lot of Pokemon
  • Strong STAB combo
  • Huge Power boosts Azumarill's attack to scary levels
  • Solid coverage options in Ice Punch and Superpower
  • Slow speed, but Aqua Jet can somewhat remedy this
  • Susceptible to burns and Intimidate, which reduce it's offensive capabilities
  • Fairly bulky
  • Belly Drum and Aqua Jet allow Azumarill to become a fearsome sweeper

Megabus
########
name: Megabus
move 1: Play Rough
move 2: Belly Drum
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Protect
ability: Huge Power
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 220 HP / 148 Atk / 140 Def
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Play Rough is a solid STAB move
  • Belly Drum is a high risk, high reward move, and combined with Aqua Jet can be very deadly
  • Aqua Jet helps with Azumarill's poor speed, and turns it into a reliable revenge killer. It also allows Azumarill to keep it's boosts at +6 as Aqua Jet usually hits first
  • Protect stalls out field effects, and protects Azumarill from it's partners spread moves. It also buys time for it's partner to attack
Set Details
========
  • 220 HP investment helps limit residual damage
  • 140 EVs in Defense helps make Azumarill bulkier, allowing it to take attacks such as Choice Band Talonflame's Brave Bird or Landorus-T's Explosion after a Belly Drum
  • The rest is placed into Attack; maximum Attack investment is not needed as after a Belly Drum Azumarill is already KOing many Pokemon with Aqua Jet
  • Sitrus Berry improves Azumarill's longevity, and acts as a bounce back from Belly Drum
Usage Tips
========
  • Bring it in against Dark-, Fighting-, and Dragon-type Pokemon that it can defeat
  • When the opponent's HP is low enough, you can use Azumarill to revenge kill it with Aqua Jet
  • Azumarill can beat common Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Hitmontop
  • Try not to let Azumarill take too much damage, or else it may not be able to set up a Belly Drum
  • Use this set late game to clean up an opponent's team after it has been weakened
Team Options
========
  • Hitmontop has Fake Out and Intimidate, buying Azumarill time, and giving it better physical bulk. Hitmontop also has Wide Guard to prevent spread moves such as Discharge
  • Pokemon that can hit Electric-, Grass-, and Poison-types are good partners to cover up Azumarill's weaknesses
  • Azumarill enjoys status users, as paralysis and sleep can help Azumarill set up much more easily
  • Follow Me or Rage Powder support is crucial when using Belly Drum, as it redirects attacks and gives Azumarill the time to set up
  • Amoonguss has great synergy with Azumarill, can spread status, and has Rage Powder to help Azumarill set up
  • Jirachi is a great partner, as it can provide Azumarilll with Follow Me and speed control. Jirachi also walls Poison- and Grass-types, while Azumarill takes on Dark-, Fire-, and Ground-types that threaten Jirachi

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Ice Punch / Superpower
ability: Huge Power
item: Choice Band
evs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • Aqua Jet remedies Azumarill's poor speed, and allows it to revenge kill weakened Pokemon
  • Play Rough is a strong STAB move
  • Waterfall lacks the power of Play Rough, but has better accuracy
  • Ice Punch hits Grass-types, mainly Amoonguss, which otherwise walls Azumarill
  • Superpower hits Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, while also OHKOing Mega Kangaskhan, but it is not a good move to be locked into
Set Details
========
  • Choice Band grants Azumarill much more power, allowing it to function as a wallbreaker
  • Maximum Attack investment coupled with an Adamant nature makes Azumarill as powerful as possible
  • The Speed EVs otuspeed uninvested base 61 speed Pokemon, namely Tyranitar
  • The remaining EVs are poured into HP for better bulk
  • This set can also be used with in Trick Room with 0 Speed EVs and IVs, and a Brave nature
Usage Tips
========
  • This set aims to deal as much damage as possible before going down, without the need to set up
  • Use it to revenge kill weakened Pokemon with Aqua Jet
  • Azumarill should be trying to punch holes in the opposing team, so that a teammate can sweep
  • This set should be played in a hit-and-run style
  • Keep in mind that this set lacks Protect, so it is susceptible to it's partners spread moves
Team Options
========
  • Teammates such as Kyurem-B and Hydreigon that can tackle Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-type Pokemon are appreciated, as once Azumarill is locked into a move, it can easily be taken advantage of
  • Fire-types are also good partners, as Azumarill lures in many Grass- and Steel-type Pokemon
  • Trick Room turns Azumarill into a fast and powerful wallbreaker, and helps mitigate it's low base speed
  • Heatran pairs well with Azumarill under Trick Room, and can use Heat Wave to blast away Grass-and Steel-type Pokemon that wall Azumarill
  • Landorus-T has Intimidate to boost Azumarill's bulk, while also taking on Electric- and Poison-type Pokemon with it's STAB Earthquake
  • Dual Screen setters increase Azumarill's bulk, giving it more time to dish out powerful attacks
  • Helping Hand users boost Azumarill's Attack to scary levels, helping it score some key KOs, and revenge kill a greater amount of Pokemon
  • Jirachi provides lots of useful support, and walls Grass- and Poison-type Pokemon. It also can provide Azumarill with Follow Me support
  • Talonflame can defeat Amoonguss which otherwise walls this set, while also providing Tailwind support
  • Mega Metagross also beats Amoonguss and can take on Grass- and Poison-type attacks, while Azumarill can take on Dark- and Fire-type attacks
Other Options
########
  • A Splash or Pixie Plate can be used to boost Azumarill's STAB moves, while also being able to change moves
  • Life Orb boosts all moves, and has the ability to change moves, but comes at the cost of recoil each turn
  • Knock Off offers good coverage against Ghost-types and has nice utility in removing items
  • Encore gives Azumarill and it's partner opportunities to set up
  • Aqua Tail can be used over Waterfall at the cost of accuracy and the flinch chance
  • Azumarill can also run Helping Hand to aid it's partner
  • A Sitrus Berry with 3 attacking moves is also an option
Checks & Counters
########

**Grass-types**: Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Ferrothorn all resist Azumarill's STAB attacks and can cripple it with status or take it down with Grass-type attacks. Venusuar is also neutral to Ice Punch, thanks to it's ability Thick Fat. Pokemon running Grass-type coverage moves can also check Azumarill, for example, Mega Charizard Y can weaken Water-type attacks with Drought, and OHKO with Solarbeam.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types such as Suicune can wall Azumarill and burn it with Scald. Rotom-W gets a special mention as it can hit Azumarill with its Electric-type attacks or simply neuter it with Will-O-Wisp.

**Faster Pokemon**: Faster Pokemon that can sponge an Aqua Jet and deal lots of damage back are good checks. Thundurus-T is a great example, as it can deal a lot of damage with its powerful, super effective Thunderbolt. Shaymin-S is a good counter as well, easily sponging an Aqua Jet and OHKOing back with Seed Flare. Generally, Pokemon with decent amounts of bulk, no weakness to Water-type attacks, and powerful, moderately fast attacks fall into this category.

**Status**: Azumarill is shut down by almost all forms of status. Burns cripple it beyond repair and paralysis severely hinders its usefulness, especially in times where its Aqua Jet is crucial. Toxic isn't as annoying but due to the prevalence of Protect stalling and Azumarill's lack of recovery, it can quickly wear Azumarill down.

**Intimidate**: Although Azumarill can hit most Intimidate users hard, their ability to lower Azumarill's Attack can be very annoying if said Intimidate user is played very actively. Pokemon such as Hitmontop and Landorus-T can pivot in and out and gradually lower Azumarill's Attack stat until it is no longer a threat. Mawile also has the advantage of being able to hit it fairly hard with STAB Iron Head. However, many Intimidate users such as Landorus-T and Scrafty have to be careful when switching in because Azumarill can hit them hard with it's STAB moves.

**Residual Damage**: Azumarill lacks reliable recovery, so it is fairly easy to wear down. All of it's moves make contact, so it can easily be worn down by Pokemon with Rough Skin or Iron Barbs.

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Megabus should definitely be its own set, since its played so differently from other phys attacker azu. It'd be much easier to merge all the Waterfall sets.

Megabus should definitely be its own set, since its played so differently from other phys attacker azu. It'd be much easier to merge all the Waterfall sets.
The first set is the megabus set, I just changed the name to physical attacker. I can change it back though.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
no, i'm saying that azu has three sets: belly drum, waterfall, and choice band. As you have it now, the first two are merged, but the first one should always be standalone. If anything, the other two should be merged.

honestly though only the first one even deserves a writeup outside of OO imo. get the opinions of other qc i guess

no, i'm saying that azu has three sets: belly drum, waterfall, and choice band. As you have it now, the first two are merged, but the first one should always be standalone. If anything, the other two should be merged.

honestly though only the first one even deserves a writeup outside of OO imo. get the opinions of other qc i guess
Ok, so I'll have a megabus set, and then waterfall and CB are merged.
ok I changed it a bit

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Megabus should run enough Speed to beat uninvested TTar (to avoid Quick Guard shenanigans with a partner) as well as base 60s

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Good defensive typing lets it switch in on a lot
Moves
  • Aqua Jet helps you keep your boosts at +6 as you hit them first
Set Details
  • I wouldn't mention Lum tbh
Usage Tips
  • It doesn't really bait lando-t or top in, it does beat them though
Team Options
  • Support should be focused on Follow Me / Rage Powder, remove stuff like TR and Screens

Moves
  • Superpower also OHKOs Mega Kangaskhan which is p big
Set Details
  • Mention it can be used in TR w/ 0 Spe and a Brave nature
Team Options
  • "Teammates that can tackle Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-type Pokemon are appreciated, as once Azumarill is locked into a move, it can easily be taken advantage of" <- examples?
  • Mention some stuff that beats Amoonguss
Other Options
  • Sitrus + 3 Attacks is an option

Overview
  • Good defensive typing lets it switch in on a lot
Moves
  • Aqua Jet helps you keep your boosts at +6 as you hit them first
Set Details
  • I wouldn't mention Lum tbh
Usage Tips
  • It doesn't really bait lando-t or top in, it does beat them though
Team Options
  • Support should be focused on Follow Me / Rage Powder, remove stuff like TR and Screens

Moves
  • Superpower also OHKOs Mega Kangaskhan which is p big
Set Details
  • Mention it can be used in TR w/ 0 Spe and a Brave nature
Team Options
  • "Teammates that can tackle Grass-, Poison-, and Electric-type Pokemon are appreciated, as once Azumarill is locked into a move, it can easily be taken advantage of" <- examples?
  • Mention some stuff that beats Amoonguss
Other Options
  • Sitrus + 3 Attacks is an option
done!

well I implemented what blood totem said not sure if it was a check though

I guess someone could take this over if they wanted to cuz I'm kinda busy with some TARC stuff

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hello i forgot how fun it was to browse through the analysis threads :)

Is 92 Spe on BD set really necessary for TTar? I guess TTar can be annoying with Rock Slide flinch or big Stone Edge damage, but how many TTars are actually neutral min Spe? I bet 1 in 3 Tyranitars would either have some Speed investment or a Brave 0 Spe TTar with TR, in which case it is slower than Azumarill. I feel that min Spe TTar is an arbitrary benchmark, and not worth the significant speed investment, esp on a Pokemon with 50 base Spe and +6 Aqua Jet...

Personally, I'd bulk up my bunny to offer more opportunities to set up BD in the first place. The current spread is taking 46-54% from Scarf Lando-T's EQ. That's a lot of damage from a potential BD bait.

I use 220 HP / 148 Atk / 140 Def, Adamant Nature on mine. 220 EVs in HP give Azumarill 396 points, which is the highest number to limit residual damage while maximizing recovery from Sitrus. The cut in Atk doesn't matter too much for me after I get a BD off, but it may be off-putting to some. Here are some calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 240-283 (60.6 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Not even CB Talonflame can OHKO Azumarill at 75%
252 Atk Parental Bond Mega Kangaskhan Return vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 249-294 (62.8 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • a bit riskier, since Kanga can easily be Adamant, but Jolly Return fails to inflict 75% to Azumarill. More of an illustrative purpose than a practical one
252+ Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 150-177 (37.8 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • Can BDrum comfortably against Landorus-T even after eating a critical hit STAB EQ (56.8 - 66.9%)
252+ Atk Landorus-T Explosion vs. 220 HP / 140 Def Azumarill: 248-292 (62.6 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • Exploding Lando-T in an attempt to botch BDrum set up will fail at max health

Last edited:

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BLOOD TOTEM if you wana stamp that check you did a few posts back I'll use this post to do a 2/3 check because I don't want to give 1/3 stamp with more changes when its already at 1/3 stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)